Ballarat vegetarian restaurant and tea shop. Japanese setting with traditional stools for seating. Goyza dumplings, tempura battered vegetables, bubble teas, juices, and more. Tea sets and teas available for sale. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Take-out
25 Armstrong Street
Ballarat, Victoria 3353
03-53313898

Open Wed-Sat 11.30am-3pm and 5:30pm-9pm, closed Sun, Mon, Tues.

First Review by Aloo
Hridayan
Hridayan

Best vegetarian restaurant in Victoria

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

This is my favourite restaurant in Victoria, luckily it's close to me(about 45 mins drive - everything is far from where I live).
It is a small tea house that serves delicious and interesting food. The family that run the restaurant are wonderful. All the food is great and most the selections are vegan.(from memory there are only two non vegan dishes).
The Gyoza (potstickers in the USA) are the best I've eaten anywhere in the world, make sure you try them. The tempura is also delicious, they put a touch of wasabi powder in the batter which gives an interesting taste and the tempura is cooked to perfection. My favourite mains are the green curry and the jackboo rice, but everything is great!
They also have a fantastic variety of teas including the best genmai cha I've tasted.

Pros: Gyoza and tempura, Wonderful hosts
KATIE H
KATIE H

Cool little gem

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

Cool little dinner / tea shop. Good vegan choices, house made chia. The food was a mix of Asian, very well presented and good ingredients with a nice balance of flavours. Similar to other places but better. Relaxed warm atmosphere good for a date or with close friends. The tempura was superb and the south Indian curry plater was the best curry I have had in years. I will definitely be making a trip to visit chat for tea again.
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 09, 2012

Pros: Great flavours, warm atomosphere, Value for money
Aloo
Aloo

Delightful

3 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2010

We went there for lunch one Saturday. Loads of locals wandered in and clearly had their favorites, and new the staff. The ambience is lovely, with Japanese themed wood work and different teas on display. The tea I had was amazing! They have a smallish lunch menu, and I felt we were a little disadvantaged because they didn't know us! We ordered an entree and a laksa, and both were good. The serving sizes could have been bigger, and it was not cheap. Still, good to have an option for interesting food in the country.

Pros: ambience
Cons: serving size

Dear Owner and Manager of Chat For Tea: