Open mid-May 2014, this is a bar that serves vegan small plates, cocktails and bottled beers. By the same owner as HipCityVeg restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

Mon-Thu 4:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 4:00pm-12:00am, Sun 4:00pm-11:00pm

First Review by s1ave4sing1n
kmanchester306
kmanchester306

Probably my all time favorite vegan restaurant

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2016

I live in NYC, but my husband and I come down to Philly pretty regularly now since the vegan scene here is pretty awesome nowadays. The first place we always make reservations for is Charlie Was A Sinner. Even if you're not a vegan, you can't pass this place up! They serve mainly tapas, but every dish is absolutely insane. The drinks are also creative and the service is always attentive and friendly. Charlie's is small and always crowded on the weekends (probably during the week too, I've just never been during that time) so definitely make a reservation. Love, love, love this place... and that means a lot coming from me since I live in a vegan mecca of By Chloe, Cinnamon Snail, and Candle 79. Must go when in Philly.

Pros: Atmosphere , Service, Food
onesonicbite
onesonicbite

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2016

I love this place. I've been twice, once for just cocktails, and another for an expensive fancy dinner with my husband. Both times were awesome. Cocktails are amazing, food is amazing, and so were the dessert. The staff is awesome. Once I ordered desserts and they accidentally brought the wrong dessert and I already started to eat it. It wasn't a big deal, it was still delicious. But they brought the correct dessert anyways, and didn't charge us anything extra (even though we said we were okay with the wrong dessert anyways.)

This is a great bar to bring an omni person to since the vibe is far from the stereotypical healthy vegan hippie, and if you have a friend that doesn't drink, there are some virgin cocktail drinks to choose from as well.

In general the price is high, but not more than other bars for the cocktails. The dinner dishes add up quickly but this is the perfect place to go to celebrate any special occasion.

Pros: Great food, Seasonal dishes, Well crafted cocktails
Cons: Expensive overall
GenevaJohnson
GenevaJohnson

WOW

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2015

This place is absolutely amazing. Staff is amazing. Food is incredible. Highly recommend checking this place out!!!

Kingrichardiii
Kingrichardiii

one of the best in the city

Posted on 11 / 07 / 2015

This is one of my top 3 favorite philly spots. Everything from the interior design to the innovative cocktails is spot on. The menu of small plates is constantly changing and have yet to be disappointed by a single thing.

Pros: vegan, cocktails , small plates
Cons: limited seating
svm9357
svm9357

Awesome!!

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2015

Charlie was a sinner is an awesome spot. It's owned by the same people who have HipCityVeg, so I knew I was going to love it. I brought some of my non-veg friends here (who were wary), and they loved the food! Most of them had the daily selection of tacos, and I had the crab cakes, which were delicious. They have a large selection of cool cocktails and then wine and beer as well. It is a bit pricey because it's tapas style, and the drinks are priced how you'd expect at a hip bar. The atmosphere is also really cool; may be a bit dark for some people, but I loved it.

xveganjedix
xveganjedix

What a vegan bar/restaurant should be

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2015

Anyone who wants to open a vegan bar/restaurant should visit Charlie was a sinner. This place does everything right. Great staff all around (we sat at the bar and couldn't have had a better bartender). I had a mocktail that was fantastic, and my wife had a few drink specials that were all expertly crafted. We tried a few food items, and all were exceptional. Our favorite were the chickpea sliders which were cooked and sauced perfectly.

Pros: Everything
serosenberg
serosenberg

2nd only to Vedge

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2015

Up until Charlie Was A Sinner opened, the only real upscale vegan option in the city was Vedge, which in my opinion is unrivaled pretty much anywhere. CWAS has a nice chill but classy vibe and the small plates allow for sampling plenty of dishes, which is always fun.

On my visit, I tried 3 of their cocktails, 9 plates and 1 sumptuous dessert. Drink-wise, my favorite was the Ulysses-referenced special (Ask Again Yes). Our waitress recommended another one I can't remember the name of, but it was made with white wine, vodka and I think pear purée. Also a nice one. The Penicillin cocktail was way too strong for me.

As for the plates, my favorite by far was the crabcakes, smoky little numbers served on the soft mini buns with potato chips. I couldn't even tell what they were made of (zucchini?), but my goodness where they tasty. Other standouts included the sensational Caesar salad, crispy and spicy tofu rolls and the ricotta, a smooth lemony (cashew-based?) dip, served with perfectly chard bread. other selections were decent, but not as memorable, including the tofu puttanesca, the spiced cauliflower, the gnocchi and the comfit potato cup with mushrooms. The only dish I really didn't care for was this other potato concoction, which sounded like it was going to be amazing, but tasted more like tater tots resting on a few scalloped potatoes. The artichoke frites, sadly, never arrived.

Dessert of course was chocolate- a rich, luscious pot of chocolate with some rum-soaked bananas and whipped cream. I was super full but scraped every last morsel out of the bowl

Pros: crabcakes, cocktails, can taste lots of plates!
Cons: none, other than the fact that nothing could ever
kc2085
kc2085

Great!

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2015

Good service, warm atmosphere, great food. One of the best vegan restaurants in the country.

Alyannkar
Alyannkar

High school rivals and mysterious projections

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2015

So, I was taking some Southern friends of mine around Philly, which they had never visited before. Because I am vegan, I wanted to bring them here, because I hadn't previously had a chance to visit. Our server was incredibly friendly and had even attended my rival high school. He took time to explain the whole food and drink menu. As for the drinks, they were artistically developed, using very diverse ingredients. I was pleased with the choices. As for the food, it was incredibly difficult to choose what to try. We ended up sharing five tapas. The tapas were small, but very filling. I would say that the food and drinks are severely expensive, though, so it is a better place to visit when you either have extra cash to spend or are trying to celebrate something.

Pros: Delish food, Great staff, Classy atmosphere
Cons: Prices
JesseIves
JesseIves

a nice date night on vacation

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2015

This was a really nice meal while on vacation. Our food was all very good, as were our drinks. It was a busy Saturday night, we had a reservation, we were a bit early and they were able to seat us. We sit by the front window, and after our table became available we were asked if we wanted to change tables, I'm glad we didn't, the back room was so loud with conversations that I don't think I would have been able to talk with my girlfriend. As I mentioned, it was a busy Saturday night and our server seemed to have like 6 other tables, it seemed like she got lost at times and didn't pay the most attention to us, especially at check out time. Worth the trip, but be patient.

Aliwg
Aliwg

fantastic!

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2015

Great atmosphere - tapas style plates, 100% vegan. Friendly, attentive staff and very cozy feel with candlelight and antique decorations. We ordered about 7 plates and they were all delicious!

aner1kind17
aner1kind17

great date spot!

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2014

We really enjoyed our experience at Charlie! The atmosphere is great - you would have no idea it is a vegan place until you read the menu. The clientele are not your granola kind. You know how awkward it is going to a regular tapas place with non-veg friends. Finally, a vegan tapas place where everyone wins! Even the gluten free folks are accommodated. My favorite cocktail was the el conquistador and dish the Maryland crab cakes. The spaghetti meatball dish was great too, but I didn't care much for the lemon saffron artichoke though it's presentation was the nicest. I docked a star because they tell you to order 4 tapas per person and the two of us were stuffed with 5 between us.

Pros: great atmosphere, quality dining, mixology drinks
Cons: order less tapas, not more
Plant Powered Eater
Plant Powered Eater

Fun Night

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

On a recent trip to Philly, one if our most fun outings was here! Special drinks were delicious. EVERYTHING on the menu was vegan- What a treat to have everything on the menu as an eating option!! They also were happy to help my husband make oil-free selections.

NatalieF77
NatalieF77

delicious

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2014

Excellent service. Food & drinks are super delicious. I've been twice now, and will definitely return.

eravencroft
eravencroft

This is the vegan bar your mother warned you about

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2014

The welcome addition of Charlie was a sinner. is the tipping point that has turned Philadelphia into a veritable vegan oasis.

It's dark, cool, and classy, without being pretentious.

I generally prefer beer, but the signature cocktails have me going out on a limb. In particular, the Escape Velocity will please any grown man. A couple more draft selections would be nice, but the Dortmunder Gold will tide me over just fine till then.

The food is excellent, varied, and, as small plates go, fun to order. Everyone pick something. Enjoy. Share a bite (except for the Tofu & Bean Sausage, that's mine.) Repeat until satiated, leaving room for dessert.

All in all, our group agreed the vegan fine dining experience to be on par with, and a nice alternative to, Vedge... like Vedge's edgy sister?

Pros: Great attention to detail, atmosphere, Those little hot dogs sure are cute., Open on Sunday
Cons: A few more beer selections would be nice
s1ave4sing1n
s1ave4sing1n

Amazing Vegan Tapas

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2014

The food here is impeccable, as are all the drinks. The dishes are tapas style, so it should work out to about two to three plates per person. My party and I shared a number of different dishes, including mini hot dogs, potato croquettes, and crab cakes. The entire menu is vegan, so don't be put off by the names of certain dishes or drinks. I had the Singapore Sling for my drink, which was fruity and amazing! For dessert, I had Charlie's Chocolate Cake, and it was just the right amount of sweetness I needed after dinner.

They really seem to know what they're doing. The place was packed on a Wednesday night after being open only a month! For being a new restaurant, they are certainly doing something right! I definitely recommend this place to anyone who likes good food.

Dear Owner and Manager of Charlie was a sinner.: