Chew Xin Jai

Point and choose from the food spread in front of you, and a menu is also available. Grab a free map at the bus station, the restaurant is labeled as pure vegetarian food. Previously named J-In Pai Restaurant and located on Th Raddamrang. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Thai

walkingvegan
walkingvegan

Cheap, vegan and delicious

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

I like this place very much! I've been there 3 times with a group of friends and everything we tried was pretty good and not too spicy (quite rare in Thailand :p).
Staff was friendly and most of them don't speak english. But in a vegan place, all you need is a smile in your face and everything is easy to get :)

Photos and more about it: http://walkingvegan.com/chew-xin-jai-vegan-restaurant-pai-th/

Pros: Cheap, Vegan, Clean
Cons: closes 7pm
vivarto
vivarto

Unfortunately you may have to eat here

2 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

The only vegan/vegetarian restaurant in Pai
Truly bad food
Overcooked veggies mixed with meat imitations.
White rice with tiny bit of brown added for color.
Unhelpful staff. Would not give me hot water for tea. I had to use warm water.
Would not make brown rice.

you are better off buying your own veggies and fruits in the market.

On the positive side, the place is clean and beautiful, and you can meet nice people there.

Pros: Clean, Vegan, The only vegan/vegetarian in Pai
Cons: Overcooked bad food, Artificial meat mixed with vegies, Unhelpful staff
jhon108
jhon108

Chew Xin Jai

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

great food , buffet style , inexpensive , easy to find ,its in the road that runs between the post office and 7/11 street and the large Pai Police station building, you cant miss its' Chinese temple styled facade.

Pros: delicious, clean, inexpensive
Whocindah
Whocindah

Aaah Vegan

3 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

It is so nice to go a place where everything on the menu is 100% vegan. We arrived after 5pm so had to order from the a la carte menu which was fine with us. We took the staff recommendation and had the Singapore style yellow noodles, spring rolls, and a curry. All were pretty good. The atmosphere in the restaurant was laid back; shoes off at the entrance, staff eating their evening meal together at a table near us. We felt pretty at home. The only awkward moment was when we had to interrupt their meal to pay the bill.

Pros: 100% vegan
Kyttiara
Kyttiara

Amazingly vegan!

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2012

First of all the name is "chew xin jai". Located in pai this restaurant offers many vegan options as well as raw food and cheap fresh juices. Really cheap fresh and tasty with amazing vegan chicken!!! The vegan place to be!

Pros: Cheap, Fresh, Tasty
Cons: Not easy to find, Not good English speaking staff

claireabella
claireabella

Pure vegan Asian dishes = happiness

4 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

I was glad to learn that this gorgeous little town had a vegan restaurant. From the previous reviews I thought it was going to be a really sterile space with uncomfortable seating. While it doesn't have an interior designers touch, it did remind me of Taiwanese restaurants. Plus it was very clean.
The food was amongst the cheapest I've had in all my travels in Asia. Vegan curries with rice for $1..... Awesome. I had pumpkin with greens and a spicy tofu stir fry. I also added mushrooms and a spring roll. It was a lot of food!
Let me spend a second on the glorious mushrooms. I have given it a bit of thought and I can't figure out what they do to them to get them tasting that great. They are seriously, seriously good. :) very ugly to look at but they do taste like meat as far as my memory goes back 20+ years. Very tasty addition to my meal.
The next day, I wanted to try the soup as it's very hard to find vegan Asian soups. I'm a fan of mock meats and there are quite a few that go into this soup. Unfortunately, I spied the meals on offer and elected curries and noodles with rice again. This time I added a fried something or other to my plate. It was tasty and moist, reminded me of chicken a bit. Mushrooms again too. Happiness.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. There is complementary water to the right of the counter. On the table there are a number of bowls with saucers on them. These are the condiments, soy, chilli, sugar etc. I love condiments, so I added some spice and saltiness. For me the dishes needed them.
For anyone who has gone to Pai from Chaing Mai, they will know that there are 762 turns in the road in and the minivan driver may not care that you think he is driving like a maniac. There is a chance that lunch will not remain where it should for the entirety of the trip, but I still encourage you to grab a bag of those delicious mushrooms to snack on during the trip. Maybe even two :)

Pros: Tasty food, Very cheap, Clean & great staff
Tofulicious
Tofulicious

Good, inexpensive nosh in Pai

4 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

This spacious, charming restaurant is well worth a visit. Meals are around the 30 baht mark (red rice and bain-marie dishes or soup), but if you've a Western appetite you're likely to pay double! The 'duck' noodle soup is especially good.

Pros: inexpensive, yummy, friendly service
vegantommasina
vegantommasina

Try the mushrooms! great buffet also.

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2012

We have eaten at Char Xin Jai several times and have been impressed every time.

The first time I had the squash with mushrooms and Thai basil. It was perfectly savory, sweet, and saucy. My partner had the pad thai, it was sweet and savory with lots of faux meats intermixed, but the noodles were the thin glass kind, not the flat fettucini style.

The second time we had buffet plates, three items with brown rice for 35B. Everything was well-spiced, more so than the food the last time. We also tried these deep fried balls on a stick which are mock meats of the meat balls sold in streets. They were uninteresting and plastic-y tasting.

The third time I had a bowl of the noodle soup and it was phenomenally delicious. Wow. I think I could eat it every day. They quick steamed glass noodles, and greens, added crunchy bits, cillantro and spring onions, fried tofu, a sauce, and several other fake meats, then added soup broth. It was so tasty, filling and only 30B. My partner had the buffet selection of the day. He had a potato dish, noodle dish, and a sautéed morning glory with rice. He enjoyed it.

But really the claim to fame of this place are the fried mushrooms. they taste just like a meat, or so my partner tells me, I've never tasted meat before.

They have large yellow signs reading "vegetarian" on the corner of every street around it pointing the direction of the restaurant. The wait staff is very friendly and helpful as well. We were being tormented by mosquitoes and they immediately came over and lit mosquito coils and placed them near our feet. The mosquitoes immediately left. Nice.

Pros: cheap, tasty, MUSHROOMS!
Cons: mosquitoes at night
msvegan
msvegan

Only pure vegan place in town.

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

They have good noodle soup daily for 25baht. Also, often have Khao Soi. Overall, I would say most of their dishes are Chinese in style/flavoring/preparation. Daily at lunch they put out 6 veg. dishes for lunch. 2 veg. dishes on red rice is 3o baht. Menu items are 40-60 baht. Basic good food.

Pros: pure vegan, good food/value, no msg
Cons: rustic seating
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Good food very cheap with Mock meats

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2010

At the moment of this review this is the only pure veggie place in town and it is entirely vegan.

The owner is Taiwanese and the cooking is very much mock meat Chinese cuisine.

It's very tasty and cheap. I recommend the fake meat options, nice veg tempura, a lovely tofu and seaweed soup and one of the best thing I had was a dish just marked stir fried vegetables.

The place is not great on atmosphere or nice seating but the cuisine is very tasty and as the only pure veg place in town it does the trick. it's very cheap to.

Buffet option of 3 dishes for 30 baht or an ala carte menu where most dishes are about 60 baht.

Pros: cheap, tasty, fake meat stuff!
Cons: sterile atmosphere, bad seating/uncomfortable, lack of availabilty of dishes

Dear Owner and Manager of Chew Xin Jai: