CLOSED: Chaos Cafe and Parlor

Casual dining in the midst of a flourishing artistic atmosphere. Menu includes breakfast scrambles, curried vegetables over rice, sandwiches, wraps, beverages. Popular with the young crowd. Free wifi access. Reported closed June 2011 to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
2620 SE Powell Blvd (SE 26th Ave, by Powell Park)
Portland, Oregon 97202
503-546-8112

Open daily 9am-4pm.

First Review by Eddie
kindlizard
kindlizard

Truly inspired, one of my fave places!

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

Chaos is an amazing cafe! Upon entering the artwork and clean space is what took our attention, as well as the friendly welcome we got from the server.

The four of us got a mix of lunch and breakfast, all vegan. The pancakes were amazing, chocolate hazelnut banana. My dad makes his own vegan pancakes and these impressed him, a difficult task indeed. It came w maple syrup of course, but also a marionberry jam! My tempeh sandwich read like an average run of the mill sandwich on the menu but I assure you it was anything but that. It may be the best sandwich I have ever ordered out (second only to my own sandwiches that are over the top). The tempeh was marinated perfectly, topped with fresh veggies that would stand up by themselves they were so fresh. My wife had a homemade veg burger, truly a treat when made so skillfully and w such great and powerful ingredients. My mom got the best reuben of her life! (I have to take her word for it though, I don't eat sauerkraut...) The choc cake w raspberry-ginger sauce on a cashew crust...... (groan).... just awesome. Everything was done perfectly. Even the house coffee. I take issue w the way most other places in Portland tend to overbrew their coffee, as if it is a badge of honor to drink coffee in a solid state rather than a liquid one. Not here, the coffee was well brewed and could actually enjoy it.

The service could not have been any better. The artwork and design of the cafe also added to the enjoyment of our meals.

I only regret that this was my first trip here in all my time of being in Portland. Perhaps that was due to some poorly crafted reviews that may dissuade one from trying this place. Also, the claim it is "Popular with the young crowd" as read on the Portland page might be true but I saw old people in there and know my folks love this place as much as I did and they aren't exactly the "young crowd". Also the food types on the front page doesn't exactly describe how great this pace is, it is not your typical sandwich or breakfast joint; they do it in true Portland culinary fashion, amazingly well. I must say if you are in Portland you would be harming yourself if you did not go here for breakfast!! BY FAR THE BEST BREAKFAST IN PORTLAND!!!!! I would also come to Chaos for lunch and the dinner menu had a few items that looked just awesome. Happy times!

Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 27, 2009

Pros: amazing food , great service, decor
Humanicide
Humanicide

Once good, dissapointing since

2 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2009

Anyone else think that 7 dollars for pretty much nothing is too much? I sure do. Been here a few times, and has never been the same as the first. First time, it was great, second time, so-so, and last time, was just ridiculous. First, you pay too much money for absolutely nothing. The portions are tiny, and to top it off, they're really boring and can easily be made in your own home for a lot cheaper. minus the high school kids crowding the place. Their sloppy joe, or sue or whatever is like 8 bucks, for a burger patty, with some bbq tofu slathered in, and then some blue corn tortilla chips, and thats it. Cascadian sandwich is just toast with "pesto" and lettuce put in, served with more lettuce, oh, and it's 8 dollars. My girlfriend got something that literally was just a slice of tofu and bread, don't even remember what it was, but it was 7 bucks. I thought this place was good at one point, but only disappointing since.

Cons: pricey for nothing, near a highschool
  • kindlizard kindlizard

the Cascadian, which I had today, has a lot of well marinated tempeh. It also comes w a large salad and house made dressing. Why the hate? $7-8 for a good samich is reasonable, esp that it has a big green salad w it.

HazelmcQ
HazelmcQ

Loved it!!

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2009

What a treat to discover this place (thanks again HappyCow for that!). It was exactly what I was looking for. Somewhere to chill out on my own and eat well and healthy (and vegetarian). There's nothing in the world I love more than "Cage-Free eggs" printed on the menu!! You'd think they are as rare as rocking horse **** in this country so I nearly shouted for joy when I saw that!! The only problem I had was choosing what to order, the choice is huge for such a cosy, low-key place. Clean and calm and nicely decorated. I had a mixed juice that I created myself, it was not on the menu and that was not a problem for them. I had hummus and raw vegetables and these amazing half bread/half tortilla chip things that complimented the hummus really well, so simple and nutritious and delicious. Then I had the tempeh sandwich (cant remember the full name) the sourkraut was a bit to "soury" in the sandwich - my own fault I had never had it before so didn't know what it was! I just took some out no big deal. As for the service that others complained here about I also found that you were left alone initially but I like the space, nothing to stop you going up to the counter when you're ready to make your order which is what I did. And the food arrived promptly which is the most important thing. I went back for the breakfast and this was lovely too, next time I'm in Portland I will definitely go back there

Pros: Imaginative food, Tasty, hippy
Cons: relaxed service, hmm nit-picking now..
nardanddee
nardanddee

Not too impressed

3 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2009

The food was priced right...but nothing to write home about. I like that they are conveniently located and the staff is fairly friendly. But I think I will keep this place as a back-up, go-to, restaurant when I'm in the area again.

Pros: nice location, nice prices
katiez
katiez

nnnnnot so good

2 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2009

not so good. slow service, slow slow service. decent food, especially breakfast items, but i've found many of the menu items to be skimpy. good soy lattes.

Pros: good soy latte, cute place, accesible
Cons: slow service, skimpy portions
tanyajacobandjasen
tanyajacobandjasen

My Favorite Place to Eat in Portland

5 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2008

Chaos Cafe....I love you!! Yes, I adore Chaos Cafe and the food is just super yummmy!! When we first moved to town and our moving stuff had yet to arrive we ate at Chaos 3 times a day for nearly a week. They have free wi-fi which is always nice. The food is just so super, I have yet to order something that I didnt love. The bowls are super, the mixed juices are killer, the after school special (a ppj) sammie is sinful, and well everything is super great. That said, last time we went, Jasen said his nut burger was just ok...so go figure :( I havent had that experience but I guess you cant make everyone happy all the time, right?
I will still gladly say that this is by far my very favorite veg eatery in Portland!!

Pros: great food, super friendly staff, fun interior
Cons: NONE
dankreek
dankreek

It was chill and homie

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2008

I was in Portland for the weekend and my wife and I were staying a couple blocks away at the Motel 6. She's vegan and I'm veg so Chaos was a natural choice for brunch.

This place was wonderful! We went there two mornings in a row and I had sandwiches both times. They tasted like they were home made, but not like regular home made. Like the kind of home made you would get if you practiced making sandwiches all the damn time, and bought the expensive cheeses that you can't find at Safeway. The tempe was just how I like it, and their greens were all totally non-iceburg. My only critique would be that I'm really not into oil/vinager on salad, and that's the only type of dressing the comes with the salad. They may have something else available, but I never asked.

The drip there is good, and you just grab a mug off the wall and fill it up as much as you want yourself. I love self serve coffee. I will ALWAYS love self-serve coffee. AND they actually know what a "shot in the dark" is here! This made me happy. Then I had one, and got happier.

I noticed a previews review stated that they're a little lacking in service. This really may be a personal thing, because I thought their services were just to my liking. I actually get a little miffed when I hear a server over use the "is everything okay" line on me. YMMV.

Pros: Chill atmosphere, Great Sandwiches, Non-iceburg Greens!
Cons: Oil/Vinager-only establishment
P.NutButter
P.NutButter

Yummmm!

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2008

went for breakfast and such great food with semi-lacking service. the server delivered our water, and after that she seemed to have forgotten about us. i think it was about almost 15 minutes (we were one of two two tops) before she came back to take our order. After that, the service was fine...and the food was excellent. i was very pleased with the big bang breakfast with tempeh, and my boyfriend found his breakfast burrito to be very good as well. this place also has a cool atmosphere. free wifi!

Pros: excellent food, free wifi
Cons: spacy staff
Veghead74
Veghead74

Excellent!

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2008

While visiting Portland we had their tempeh barbecue special (had cooked kale for a nice twist), a tofu bagel sandwich, and a brownie for dessert and everything was excellent.

Pros: Artsy, Friendly, Excellent food
Eddie
Eddie

This is Portland

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2007

What can I say? This place is great. Great menu, very artistic, relaxed atmosphere. You can even eat while sitting on a couch. Check out the website. Inner Powell area needed a place like this. Parking is a block away though.

Pros: Artistic, friendly, good food
Cons: parking, but no big deal.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Chaos Cafe and Parlor: