Opened Aug 2010 on Ainslie St and moved to the current one in 2014. This Brooklyn vegan bakery and diner makes a varied range of sweets like vegan donuts, croissants, cookies, cupcakes, scones, and brownies with gluten-free and sugar-free options. Also serves vegan diner food and coffee. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Bakery, American, Take-out

• Cash only

First Review by andreacarioca
kwanza
kwanza

One of the best places I've ever eaten as a vegan

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2014

I can't speak highly enough of this place. Huge menu, all 100% vegan. Very good if you like mock-meat. Particularly strong on breakfast/brunch items (e.g. pancakes, huevos rancheros). The coffee is excellent and bottomless. I highly recommend the Cubano sandwich. The cheesecake was the best I've ever eaten - could not believe that it was completely dairy-free.

I didn't see any signage indicating that Champs is a vegan (or even a vegetarian) restaurant. My omnivorous friend (who lives in Brooklyn) has eaten there a couple of times before and only discovered when visiting with me that the chicken sub that he order last time didn't actually have any chicken in it.

Champs is a bit of a local institution - be prepared to have to wait for a table.

Pros: Excellent food, Huge menu, Desserts
Cons: Not the place to go for a fancy meal
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Amongst the best.

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

I went there twice last year. The menu is very extensive - breakfast and dinner. Lots of options. The people are very accommodating. The food was great. AND, DESSERTS!

I went there again this year. Still great.

davzanzibar
davzanzibar

Best Vegan Diner So Far

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2014

We recently moved to the NYC area from Dallas/Fort Worth and we were very excited to find a more budding vegan scene. We were very happy with the diner we used to frequent in DFW called Spiral. Until we reached Champs. Champs blew away everything we thought we knew about Vegan Diners. We started with the Bacon and Cheese Fries and were already in heaven before our entrees came. We ordered the Chick'n & Waffles and the Hot Cubano. I've been searching for a vegan replacement for a Cuban sandwich since going vegan and this is finally the perfect replacement. The chik'n & waffles was the perfect amount of savory and sweet. Needless to say this was worth the trip and we will be back many times again.

Pros: amazing food

Nikki1801
Nikki1801

American Diner

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

We loved this place- we only ate here once as we wanted to try as many places as possible, but will definitely come back next time we're in town!

We tried to eat lunch here once to be turned away- an hours wait for a table! So we came back a couple days later, only had to wait 15/20 mins. I don't mind though, it's great to see vegan/veggie places doing so well!

The menu is interesting, the food is great, the portions are done perfectly.....that's all you need!
They also have baked goods on the counter- both morning fresh baked OR one or two days old for much cheaper. I love that they do this rather than throw away or give to staff, cookies were yummy!

Pros: atmosphere, great food
Cons: long wait times
Babette
Babette

Nice place

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2014

I really like the laid-back atmosphere at Champs and the menu is very tempting.

The desserts look absolutely fabulous, and there are many to choose from.

Pros: friendly staff, nice vibe
adc1984
adc1984

The best

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

Amazing all vegan diner experience, just go on an empty stomach!

Pros: all vegan , diner, environment
Cons: you'll eat too much!
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great vegan diner food

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

Went here twice recently, and it was great. I had the biscuits and gravy (not the best I've ever had, but decent), and the 2nd time I had the French Toast Slam. This was amazing.

They serve breakfast all day, with lunch/dinner items later on. I'd definitely go here again. Good prices, great food.

Also, they are finishing all of their dairy milk and becoming 100% vegan, so that's even better.

Pros: Vegan, Good food at cheap prices
juliesd
juliesd

Vegan luxury

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2013

Great place! I had the Breakfast Burrito , which was really delicious and filling. To I drink I had a Green Face juice, also very good and fresh.
The service was good and not much waiting time. The girls working there are very friendly and atmosphere and decor good.
I had to wait 7 minutes to be seated. But it was worth the wait. Also, Champs has chairs outside, so you can sit down while you wait.
I really really recommend this place. Great food, great service and pretty big portions.

Cons: None - Waiting to be seated??
SamiT
SamiT

love this place

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

If I lived nearby I would visit once a week I'm sure. They have the best tofu scramble I've ever had, I love their 'pulled pork' and the general atmosphere is great.

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Vegan diner food

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

We arrived for brunch with another couple and they were still setting up, but were very cheery even though we were the first ones there. We grabbed a booth and perused the large menu. We couldn't decide what to get as it all sounded so good. Dirk went with the homemade seitan and tempeh burger with a side salad of kale and I got the Monte Cristo. Our friends got the country fried seitan sandwich and tofu benedict. The portions are generous and delicious. Definitely not the place to be if you wanna watch your calories. We all had excellent coffee too, both hot and iced. We were so full that we took dessert to go, a cheesecake brownie which was amazing. Be warned that they are cash only although there is an ATM inside. By the time we left, the entire place was packed, so get there early like we did. The place is a gem with old school diner feel and a great bakery display. On our list for our next visit to NYC.

Pros: vegan diner food, great bakery selection, friendly staff
Cons: cash only
pandora_13
pandora_13

This is some serious vegan comfort food.

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

Champs is a cute little place with a vintage diner look and kitschy decor, serving up some serious vegan comfort food. During our recent visit we encountered friendly service, generous portions, and very reasonable prices. The menu contains a plethora of interesting and tasty-sounding items - so many that it was really difficult to choose!

From the appetizer menu, we tried the Buffalo Wings... and enjoyed them immensely. Roasted strips of tempeh were coated in a thick, tangy, spicy sauce, then served alongside celery sticks and a cool, creamy dipping sauce. The wings were so good, the sauce wasn't really necessary - but the sauce was so good, I wouldn't dream of leaving it off!

We also tried two sandwiches. The Tuna Melt was very good, though it didn't taste like tuna. It reminded me more of chicken salad than tuna; there was no sea-like flavor at all. The texture of the salad, however, was perfect. A thick layer was shmeared onto a nice marbled rye, then topped off with gooey cheeze and sliced tomato. It didn't satisfy my nagging tuna craving... but it was quite tasty overall.

Now, the Reuben... IT was AMAZING. Champs' is made with tender, juicy slices of seitan, again on that nice marbled rye. The sauerkraut had great texture, adding a welcome bit of crunch without making the bread soggy. Gooey cheeze and a generous slathering of Russian dressing pushed it well over the edge of awesomeness. I salivate just thinking about it. Winner!

Both sandwiches came with a simple side salad of mixed baby greens, lightly dressed with a bright vinaigrette. I also ordered a side of Oven-Roasted Fries. It was an enormous amount of food! But I really wanted to try the fries, and they were freakin' tasty. Next time I'll do them up with bacon & cheeze. Yeeeeah.

On the not-so-perfect side, I will say that service was a bit slow; it kind of took forever for our food to come out. I wouldn't go here unless I had ample time for a leisurely meal. It was also very hot in there. By the end of the meal we were swampy as hell. I recommend not going during a nasty heat wave.

The food, though, was fantastic, and our overall experience wasn't overshadowed by these things. I really look forward to going back again and sampling more of their menu! We'll just wait for cooler weather...

Pros: Large, interesting menu, Big portions at reasonable prices, The Reuben is Love
Cons: Their A/C wasn't meant for heat waves, Tiny and popular = always a wait, Cash only! with an on-premise ATM
slithers
slithers

They are Champs!

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2013

Though "Champs" is apt, the name "family bakery" initially made me think it was primarily a bakery not a restaurant (so I almost didn't click name to learn more). Actually, this place is primarily a diner/restaurant which also has fresh baked goods. This place is amazing!

I went there on Sunday (June 23, 2013) with a few friends for brunch. I loved the character of this place, artsy kitsch, and the food was excellent. I got the breakfast enchilladas which I LOVED and also the Buenos Dias salad, which I had very little room to eat (but what I tried was great) due to the large portions. Both of my friends got the Drunken Cowgirl which they liked (and I tried - it was good). The menu really blew me away with so many options, including some "combo" dishes where you can get something sweet AND something savory (e.g., french toast and tofu scramble). Compared with the many other vegan brunches I've been to, this place had the most options (and included healthy options).

My friends tried the cream cheese brownies, which they said were excellent.

It is small, so you may have to wait if you're going at a popular time (e.g., Sunday brunch @ 10:30am, we waited 25 minutes to be seated).

Note: Their online menu is out of date as of today (some different options in person), but their website says new menu is coming soon: http://www.champsdiner.com/

Pros: delicious food, amazing menu (so many options!), good atmosphere (staff, decor)
Cons: small & popular = may have to wait
tab
tab

FANTASTIC

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2013

Everything on the menu is mouthwatering; I've yet to be disappointed. Make the trip!

Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

My new favorite breakfast joint in NYC.

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

Awesome breakfast. That's all I can say. A large menu, great food, great people.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Large Menu, Tasty
Cons: Small, It's in Brooklyn.
Phil Papa
Phil Papa

One of the best breakfasts ever!

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

Had one of the best breakfasts ever at Champs. Went with my wife, 4yo old son and baby daughter (who slept through the entire meal) and we all LOVED our meal. I got the tofu scrambler with kale, tomatoes and a soysage and it was incredible. Son got french toast and cleaned his plate (which is something considering he is sometimes a picky eater). Staff was great and super friendly! We will definitely be going again.

Pros: Food, Staff
turtleveg
turtleveg

Huge portions

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

We came here for breakfast on a weekday and luckily didn't have to wait for a table. We loved our meals, including fresh juices, and will be back for more! The vegan tofu benedict was absolutely amazing! The Sag was good too, I wasn't too into the kaiser roll so I think next time I would order on a english muffing or bagel.

BFonville
BFonville

old school diner, only vegan!

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

Champs started as a small bakery but I'm happy to say it's now a full-blown diner with an awesome breakfast/burger/sandwich menu. Prices are fair, food is good but there's not much seating so there is often a wait on weekends.

Pros: cheap vegan breakfast, sandwiches
Cons: usually a wait on weekends, no beerz
andreacarioca
andreacarioca

Best brunch in NYC

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

This is one of my favorite places in NYC! I have been there for brunch multiple times and every dish I ordered was exceptionally tasty, even better: the portions are large! I usually wait between 5-30 minutes (worse on sunny weekends) because they are really good! The people are super nice and the baked goods are perfect in taste and texture!
One down side: they don't have decaf coffee

Pros: great food, cool place, nice servers
Cons: no decaf coffee, waiting

Dear Owner and Manager of Champs Family Bakery: