Opened Aug 2010 Champs Family Bakery on Ainslie St and moved here in 2014. Vegan bakery and diner making a range of sweets like vegan donuts, croissants, cookies, cupcakes, scones, and brownies with gluten-free and sugar-free options. Serves vegan diner food. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

sXe_22
sXe_22

Very Satisfying!

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2016

Great atmosphere and food. the tempeh wings, mozzarella sticks and the buffalo sandwich were super; the red velvet pancakes and the cheesecakes were delicious.
Portions are good and prices normal for NYC.
Champs is highly recommended!

BriggitteJ
BriggitteJ

Good Food, Lackluster Ambiance.

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2015

Champs is a quaint diner style eatery situated close to quite a few other vegan establishments with ample free street parking in Brooklyn. When we arrived on a Wednesday afternoon we were quickly greeted and seated by the very nice staff members. The interior is very small (welcome to NY!), with mirrors all over the walls and very harsh lighting. It kind of felt like an 80's interrogation room. I typically enjoy eating in but the atmosphere was really lacking. Despite the atmosphere the food was very good. We ordered mozzarella sticks to start, I was slightly shocked to see that the order only included 4 mozzarella stick for $8 so two dollars per stick! They were good but I'm not sure if they were THAT good! We ordered the Cubano and Country Fried Sandwiches as an entree and they were also excellent and you got good sized portions for the price. Next time we would probably split a sandwich to save room for dessert after. Overall I enjoyed Champs, it's certainly not a place I would bring out of town guests but I think it's a great option for vegan comfort food and it's proximity to Dun Well and other vegan establishments makes it a must try. If they would take a mirrors off the walls and replace the lightbulbs with something softer I might make it a regular stop.

Carlyjeg
Carlyjeg

buffalo chicken is ridiculously spicy

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2015

The buffalo chicken was ridiculously spicy, but still delicious. I can't wait to try other dishes there. When I complained about the excess of spice they comped the meal. Contrary to a previous review I found the staff to be very pleasant.

cso2541
cso2541

MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2015

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED IN THIS PLACE! RUDE STAFF MEMBER MY FAMILY WAS SHOCKED!

I bragged about this place to family that came down from Canada and finally brought them there today around 430. When we got there we were a party of 5: a mom with a newborn on car seat, I am on crutches and three other family members. Three of us (mom, other cousin and I stayed in restaurant while my wife and mom's husband literally parked across the street. There were three of the large tables available.

The waitress (fair, tall, slim, neck length light brown hair, green eyes and red lips) came to greet us. I told her we were a party of 5. She said we must remain standing until our party arrived. I politely asked her if we could have a table as the majority of the party was there and we had a new mom with a newborn (who was she carrying in her car seat) and me on crutches. She refused to sit us down. Mind you, the tables have signs on them that say that "for parties of 3 or more".

She quickly became arrogant and began to tell me "sorry, it's store policy" and I told her "you know you can make an exception, she's holding a heavy car seat with a baby, she's a new mom". My cousin had to place her baby on the floor and we had to stand. About a minute later my wife and mom's husband arrived. We were finally seated.

I crutched my way up to her and asked her to speak to her manager, to which she quickly replied "I am the manager." I then told her, "what you did back there-not seating us- that was not right, I understand if one person in a party of five shows up and tries to hog a table but the fact that I am on crutches and that my cousin was holding a car seat up and a third person was there, was more than enough reason to use her judgement to seat us- considering that all the large tables were empty. She began to say how they get a lot of business and how she had to keep the tables open for customers. I told her she was wrong and proceeded to say "please have someone else get our order, I don't want you as our waitress." She got nasty and began saying how she wasn't gonna take care of us anyway."

My family was absolutely shocked, the mom in our table could not stop mentioning how absolutely rude the waitress/manager had been to speak to us like that and not seat us considering the major fact that I am on crutches. Actually, that can count as discrimination against a person with disabilities if I am not wrong.

When the waitress left she proceeded to stare at me on her way out

Pros: food is good
Cons: some staff is rude, not attentive to people w/ disabilities
CorallynnCastillo
CorallynnCastillo

mozzarella sticks!

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2015

They had an array of food for me to choose from. I ended up getting their mozzarella sticks for an appetizer, no regrets there. For my meal I chose biscuits and gravy, the gravy was a little too flavorful for me. I can't but my finger as too what it had too much of but it overpowered everything. Lastly I had a piece of their wonderful strawberry shortcake. Overall great experience except it is tiny! We had to wait outside in the cold.

Pros: lots of options , shareable appetizers
Cons: too small
Dalbyjn
Dalbyjn

best vegan in Brooklyn

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2015

Thanks to my son's girlfriend we found this gem for lunch Tofu rancheros satisfied my hungry husband Sure wish I lived closer ❤️❤️

Cam
Cam

Terrific Diner

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2015

It's a terrific diner that served all the classics (burgers, sandwichs, all day breakfast, shakes, etc.)Perfect if you are in the mood for American food but are frustrated in regular diners.
Went there twice in two days: first time for lunch: had one of the greatest sandwich ever (a classic one but very flavorful, loved the vegan mayo!) and a to die for sunday.
Went back for breakfast: red velvet pancakes with chocolate chips and whipped cream. It was PERFECT.
I will definitively go back next time I'm in town.

Pros: Nice Service, Great Food, Cool deco
pistol_pete
pistol_pete

Good food, good times

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2015

Champs is an awesome diner, with seriously great food, including really realistic mock meats. We got the Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich and some other great food. Highly recommended.

Pros: 100% vegan, Tastiest food, Reasonanly priced
Flouffy
Flouffy

FIRE

Posted on 10 / 20 / 2015

Very good food and friendly stuff. Young and positive atmosphere.

Pros: everything
Cons: they run out of brownies lol
Suebedo
Suebedo

yum week 2 vegan comfort vegan food best brunch my new vegan life

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2015

Took a taxi and pulled up to large crowds outside. Happily there was a stool free at the counter so I sailed in.

My first big brunch since becoming vegan after watching Gary Yourofsky's life changing youtube.

Scrambled tofu with vegan cheese, onions and potatoes so good I wish I could hit rewind eat again and slower.

Due to stress -- suing MD where I got punched (Google Dr Fagelman attack see Delight in action) hole in my retina than NYPD coercion so pigging out every day - file suit against NYPD Tuesday so ordered a Champs Chocolate chip muffin - loved it but tofu scramble w/ extras the best!!!!

Love Champs juniors but Champs bigger than champs junior's sliver space plus Champs has a bathroom.

Champs more cheerful my first experience in a crowded diner filled with vegans very cheerful lots of laughter and music from my teens. I am 53.

No decaf coffee so I had one cup of coffee with vegan oat milk...delicious.

Pros: delicious , service, atmosphere
svm9357
svm9357

Vegan Diner Food!!

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2015

I LOVE Champs. I go there probably way too often, but it's always worth it. Everything I've ordered from there has always been delicious. All the breakfast food is my favorite though!! The French toast slam and the SAG are amazing. The atmosphere is very old fashioned diner, which is great and fun. The staff is super friendly but the service can be a bit slow, so don't come here in a rush! They always have very good baked goods from their bakery and usually have tofu Benedict specials on the weekend. Always a great choice for any meal!!

veganindunkirk
veganindunkirk

Totally awesome!

Posted on 10 / 13 / 2015

This is THE place to go for delicious, diner-style comfort food. First, go knowing that you'll be splurging on calories -- this is food for the tastebuds, and should not be confused with a healthy vegan, everyday menu. With that said, OMG, they have everything and it's all delicious! They've learned how to master cooking tofu and seitan and transforming it to taste like the real thing(s). They serve a breakfast that includes pancakes, waffles, eggs and sausage. Soups, sandwiches, desserts -- whatever you'd order at a regular, old fashioned diner -- oh, what a joy to discover! We started with the mozzarella sticks -- YOU MUST TRY THESE! We split a philly cheese steak sub and a chicken Parmesan sub. Ordered a side of french fries. Topped it all off with sharing a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. I was stuffed. I was in heaven! Being that we eat a mostly raw diet throughout the week, this was a rare treat for us. Looking forward to my next trip to Brooklyn -- this is the first place we're going!

Pros: food, atmosphere, price
samuelfranssens
samuelfranssens

cool

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2015

this is more than a bakery, I ate a delicious black bean burger here. friendly service and cool interior design

OrlyDumitrescu
OrlyDumitrescu

Go there!

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2015

We really liked this place. The food was very diner-like. We had the pancake slam which was awesome and the seitan Benedict spaciel. All was super super yummy, but the portions are really huge so we couldn't finish everything. The service was really good as well. I really want to go back again before I leave the country and try more stuff on the menu!

JenVeg14
JenVeg14

Fun vegan Diner

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2015

No sign whatsoever on the outside to indicate it's vegan, so you have to know where you're going! I guess it's popular enough with local vegans they don't feel the need to advertise veg food. (I was visiting NYC.) Good food, first time I've ever had a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich and my non-veg friend said it tasted very similar to the non-veg version. Was busy the entire time we were there. Both my non-veg dinner partners liked there food a lot too. We also got two desserts from the dessert case and loved them. There weren't quite as many choices in the case as some of the photos on here, but perhaps that was because it was end of the day. Only issue was very slow service, so thankfully we weren't in a hurry.

Pros: Good food, Good dessert selection
Cons: No Veg sign on the outside, so must know, Slow to get food (1+ hr after ordering)
cottrellbentley
cottrellbentley

Yum! Yum! Yum!

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2015

Two friends took my daughter and I here after sight-seeing in the city. This was the meal that made us feel satiated. It was vegan comfort food--period.

Hungry for that? Go here. They have breakfast, lunch, supper, desserts, etc. We didn't try any desserts since we didn't even finish our meals, but I wish we'd been able to go back and try them. :)

Pros: Tastes great, 100% vegan, Comfort food
Cons: Loud music, Not easy to get to without a car
skipperkt
skipperkt

Not to be missed

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2015

I have been to Champs a few times over the past couple of years and I've never been let down. This is my favorite place to take people visiting from out of town, vegans and non-vegans alike. I usually get something off the breakfast menu - most recently the French toast. Absolute perfection.

infinitydolphin
infinitydolphin

A MUST!

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2015

Best vegan food in New York. No competition.

Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Wow is this place good!

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2015

Sorry, I should have said, "Wow is this place GREAT!" Classic diner food and more. The french toast is about as legit french toast as you'll ever have. The biscuits are out of this world. Chili cheese fries are awesome. Desserts are amazing. Good portion sizes, not overpriced. Get the Chicken Biscuit sandwich and thank me later. The tuno is good too!

Pros: Food, Food , More Food
Cons: Service is a little spotty. , Street parking only, Not a large place
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Amazing Diner Food!

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2015

Everything I've had at Champs has been fantastic. The breakfast options, from burritos to enchiladas with tofu scramble and soy sausage, are so delicious. Sandwiches are amazing too. Probably the best veggie reuben I've ever had. The icing on the cake for me, though, was vegan mozzarella sticks!!! They are as delicious as they sound! I would eat every meal here if I could afford it. Great service too!

I agree that the listing should probably be renamed to Champs Diner (or a separate listing added or something). I almost missed it because I wasn't looking to have a meal at a bakery.

Pros: amazing food
Cons: limited seating
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Quintessential Vegan Diner!

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2015

Extensive vegan menu, with a fabulous brunch selection in a shiny American dineresque venue. There were enough gluten free options to keep my coeliac partner happy.

The breakfast burrito was amazing and the cinnamon bun was so good I had another...

Looking forward to coming back again and again.

Pros: Huge brunch menu, Friendly helpful staff, Excellent food
Cons: Busy!
NoemiRayen
NoemiRayen

Simply PERFECT!

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2014

Can't speak well enough of this place, the pancakes are just gorgeous, and the scramble tofu so yummy! Soya latte was great too, we went there twice and the waitress were just super nice all the time. Highly recomended! By the way, I guess it's called Champs Diner now, it's not a bakery.

Pros: Pancake, Place itself, Any sandwich
kwanza
kwanza

One of the best places I've ever eaten as a vegan

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2014

I can't speak highly enough of this place. Huge menu, all 100% vegan. Very good if you like mock-meat. Particularly strong on breakfast/brunch items (e.g. pancakes, huevos rancheros). The coffee is excellent and bottomless. I highly recommend the Cubano sandwich. The cheesecake was the best I've ever eaten - could not believe that it was completely dairy-free.

I didn't see any signage indicating that Champs is a vegan (or even a vegetarian) restaurant. My omnivorous friend (who lives in Brooklyn) has eaten there a couple of times before and only discovered when visiting with me that the chicken sub that he order last time didn't actually have any chicken in it.

Champs is a bit of a local institution - be prepared to have to wait for a table.

Pros: Excellent food, Huge menu, Desserts
Cons: Not the place to go for a fancy meal
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Amongst the best.

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

I went there twice last year. The menu is very extensive - breakfast and dinner. Lots of options. The people are very accommodating. The food was great. AND, DESSERTS!

I went there again this year. Still great.

davzanzibar
davzanzibar

Best Vegan Diner So Far

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2014

We recently moved to the NYC area from Dallas/Fort Worth and we were very excited to find a more budding vegan scene. We were very happy with the diner we used to frequent in DFW called Spiral. Until we reached Champs. Champs blew away everything we thought we knew about Vegan Diners. We started with the Bacon and Cheese Fries and were already in heaven before our entrees came. We ordered the Chick'n & Waffles and the Hot Cubano. I've been searching for a vegan replacement for a Cuban sandwich since going vegan and this is finally the perfect replacement. The chik'n & waffles was the perfect amount of savory and sweet. Needless to say this was worth the trip and we will be back many times again.

Pros: amazing food
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

American Diner

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

We loved this place- we only ate here once as we wanted to try as many places as possible, but will definitely come back next time we're in town!

We tried to eat lunch here once to be turned away- an hours wait for a table! So we came back a couple days later, only had to wait 15/20 mins. I don't mind though, it's great to see vegan/veggie places doing so well!

The menu is interesting, the food is great, the portions are done perfectly.....that's all you need!
They also have baked goods on the counter- both morning fresh baked OR one or two days old for much cheaper. I love that they do this rather than throw away or give to staff, cookies were yummy!

Pros: atmosphere, great food
Cons: long wait times
Babette
Babette

Nice place

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2014

I really like the laid-back atmosphere at Champs and the menu is very tempting.

The desserts look absolutely fabulous, and there are many to choose from.

Pros: friendly staff, nice vibe
adc1984
adc1984

The best

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

Amazing all vegan diner experience, just go on an empty stomach!

Pros: all vegan , diner, environment
Cons: you'll eat too much!
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great vegan diner food

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

Went here twice recently, and it was great. I had the biscuits and gravy (not the best I've ever had, but decent), and the 2nd time I had the French Toast Slam. This was amazing.

They serve breakfast all day, with lunch/dinner items later on. I'd definitely go here again. Good prices, great food.

Also, they are finishing all of their dairy milk and becoming 100% vegan, so that's even better.

Pros: Vegan, Good food at cheap prices
juliesd
juliesd

Vegan luxury

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2013

Great place! I had the Breakfast Burrito , which was really delicious and filling. To I drink I had a Green Face juice, also very good and fresh.
The service was good and not much waiting time. The girls working there are very friendly and atmosphere and decor good.
I had to wait 7 minutes to be seated. But it was worth the wait. Also, Champs has chairs outside, so you can sit down while you wait.
I really really recommend this place. Great food, great service and pretty big portions.

Cons: None - Waiting to be seated??
SamiT
SamiT

love this place

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

If I lived nearby I would visit once a week I'm sure. They have the best tofu scramble I've ever had, I love their 'pulled pork' and the general atmosphere is great.

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Vegan diner food

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

We arrived for brunch with another couple and they were still setting up, but were very cheery even though we were the first ones there. We grabbed a booth and perused the large menu. We couldn't decide what to get as it all sounded so good. Dirk went with the homemade seitan and tempeh burger with a side salad of kale and I got the Monte Cristo. Our friends got the country fried seitan sandwich and tofu benedict. The portions are generous and delicious. Definitely not the place to be if you wanna watch your calories. We all had excellent coffee too, both hot and iced. We were so full that we took dessert to go, a cheesecake brownie which was amazing. Be warned that they are cash only although there is an ATM inside. By the time we left, the entire place was packed, so get there early like we did. The place is a gem with old school diner feel and a great bakery display. On our list for our next visit to NYC.

Pros: vegan diner food, great bakery selection, friendly staff
Cons: cash only
pandora_13
pandora_13

This is some serious vegan comfort food.

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

Champs is a cute little place with a vintage diner look and kitschy decor, serving up some serious vegan comfort food. During our recent visit we encountered friendly service, generous portions, and very reasonable prices. The menu contains a plethora of interesting and tasty-sounding items - so many that it was really difficult to choose!

From the appetizer menu, we tried the Buffalo Wings... and enjoyed them immensely. Roasted strips of tempeh were coated in a thick, tangy, spicy sauce, then served alongside celery sticks and a cool, creamy dipping sauce. The wings were so good, the sauce wasn't really necessary - but the sauce was so good, I wouldn't dream of leaving it off!

We also tried two sandwiches. The Tuna Melt was very good, though it didn't taste like tuna. It reminded me more of chicken salad than tuna; there was no sea-like flavor at all. The texture of the salad, however, was perfect. A thick layer was shmeared onto a nice marbled rye, then topped off with gooey cheeze and sliced tomato. It didn't satisfy my nagging tuna craving... but it was quite tasty overall.

Now, the Reuben... IT was AMAZING. Champs' is made with tender, juicy slices of seitan, again on that nice marbled rye. The sauerkraut had great texture, adding a welcome bit of crunch without making the bread soggy. Gooey cheeze and a generous slathering of Russian dressing pushed it well over the edge of awesomeness. I salivate just thinking about it. Winner!

Both sandwiches came with a simple side salad of mixed baby greens, lightly dressed with a bright vinaigrette. I also ordered a side of Oven-Roasted Fries. It was an enormous amount of food! But I really wanted to try the fries, and they were freakin' tasty. Next time I'll do them up with bacon & cheeze. Yeeeeah.

On the not-so-perfect side, I will say that service was a bit slow; it kind of took forever for our food to come out. I wouldn't go here unless I had ample time for a leisurely meal. It was also very hot in there. By the end of the meal we were swampy as hell. I recommend not going during a nasty heat wave.

The food, though, was fantastic, and our overall experience wasn't overshadowed by these things. I really look forward to going back again and sampling more of their menu! We'll just wait for cooler weather...

Pros: Large, interesting menu, Big portions at reasonable prices, The Reuben is Love
Cons: Their A/C wasn't meant for heat waves, Tiny and popular = always a wait, Cash only! with an on-premise ATM
slithers
slithers

They are Champs!

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2013

Though "Champs" is apt, the name "family bakery" initially made me think it was primarily a bakery not a restaurant (so I almost didn't click name to learn more). Actually, this place is primarily a diner/restaurant which also has fresh baked goods. This place is amazing!

I went there on Sunday (June 23, 2013) with a few friends for brunch. I loved the character of this place, artsy kitsch, and the food was excellent. I got the breakfast enchilladas which I LOVED and also the Buenos Dias salad, which I had very little room to eat (but what I tried was great) due to the large portions. Both of my friends got the Drunken Cowgirl which they liked (and I tried - it was good). The menu really blew me away with so many options, including some "combo" dishes where you can get something sweet AND something savory (e.g., french toast and tofu scramble). Compared with the many other vegan brunches I've been to, this place had the most options (and included healthy options).

My friends tried the cream cheese brownies, which they said were excellent.

It is small, so you may have to wait if you're going at a popular time (e.g., Sunday brunch @ 10:30am, we waited 25 minutes to be seated).

Note: Their online menu is out of date as of today (some different options in person), but their website says new menu is coming soon: http://www.champsdiner.com/

Pros: delicious food, amazing menu (so many options!), good atmosphere (staff, decor)
Cons: small & popular = may have to wait
tab
tab

FANTASTIC

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2013

Everything on the menu is mouthwatering; I've yet to be disappointed. Make the trip!

Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

My new favorite breakfast joint in NYC.

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

Awesome breakfast. That's all I can say. A large menu, great food, great people.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Large Menu, Tasty
Cons: Small, It's in Brooklyn.
Phil Papa
Phil Papa

One of the best breakfasts ever!

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

Had one of the best breakfasts ever at Champs. Went with my wife, 4yo old son and baby daughter (who slept through the entire meal) and we all LOVED our meal. I got the tofu scrambler with kale, tomatoes and a soysage and it was incredible. Son got french toast and cleaned his plate (which is something considering he is sometimes a picky eater). Staff was great and super friendly! We will definitely be going again.

Pros: Food, Staff
turtleveg
turtleveg

Huge portions

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

We came here for breakfast on a weekday and luckily didn't have to wait for a table. We loved our meals, including fresh juices, and will be back for more! The vegan tofu benedict was absolutely amazing! The Sag was good too, I wasn't too into the kaiser roll so I think next time I would order on a english muffing or bagel.

BFonville
BFonville

old school diner, only vegan!

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

Champs started as a small bakery but I'm happy to say it's now a full-blown diner with an awesome breakfast/burger/sandwich menu. Prices are fair, food is good but there's not much seating so there is often a wait on weekends.

Pros: cheap vegan breakfast, sandwiches
Cons: usually a wait on weekends, no beerz
andreacarioca
andreacarioca

Best brunch in NYC

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

This is one of my favorite places in NYC! I have been there for brunch multiple times and every dish I ordered was exceptionally tasty, even better: the portions are large! I usually wait between 5-30 minutes (worse on sunny weekends) because they are really good! The people are super nice and the baked goods are perfect in taste and texture!
One down side: they don't have decaf coffee

Pros: great food, cool place, nice servers
Cons: no decaf coffee, waiting

Dear Owner and Manager of Champs Diner: