Chai Vegetarian Cuisine

Cook-to-order vegetarian and vegan dishes, including yum cha, sushi, noodle, tofu, and other Chinese food. Simple space. Prices moderate to slightly expensive. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Take-out
16 Mathers Lane (Liverpool St)
Hobart, Tasmania TAS 7000
03-6231-5556

First Review by Egil
TasNN
TasNN

Great for lunch

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2014

Always nice, I usually go for the bain-marie for a quick lunch, but I've tried a couple of the cook to order options - they're worth the wait!

No matter what I'm eating, it's always accompanied by a drumstick, my absolute pick of the more snacky menu items.

Recommended!

Pros: Varied menu, Nice and quiet
ChickpeaKitty
ChickpeaKitty

Wish it was open longer!

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

This was a great place to find and I was so glad we managed to find it open!

Unfortunately, we only managed to go here once during opening hours. (The review below seems to have accurate hours)

We tried their cold wraps (which was a strip of a rice paper/burrito wrap style bread, around a big serving of veggie protein. We tried both the peanut and BBQ flavoured. DEFINITELY recommend!).

We also took away two dishes for dinner that night.

I wish they had been open for dinner because I would have loved to have eaten there more often.

The lady who served us was also incredibly helpful, taking us through all of the meals and options. Plus, she was conscious of things like allergies to peanuts which was unneeded for us, but always good to see. Good priced food and lovely staff!

Pros: vegan friendly, Great food, friendly staff, Good value
Cons: Early Closing Times.
Vgan
Vgan

It's open

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

Don't know what the problem is with the phone (see review below) but I was there on February 12, 2014, and it was open, though definitely winding down and running low on food at 2.30pm. Got a decent enough vegan spicy noodles with a couple of mock meat dishes for $11, plus $5 for a pot of excellent organic green tea (leaf, not teabag). Several localoffice workers, who were on first-name terms with the staff and were obviously regulars, looked in for takeaway while I was there. I was told that opening hours are 11.30 to 3.30 Monday to Friday, and 11.30 to 2.30 on Saturday.

Coolman7528
Coolman7528

called a few times but no response, anyone know if they are still available?!

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

tried calling them a few times over a few days. no response at all. anyone know if they are still available?!

fearless
fearless

a great place for lunch

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2013

This simple vego place is well worth a visit. They had plenty of GF options and the food was quite cheap - I disagree with the person that said it was dear, our dishes were $10... They do have to make some money somehow! The staff were also very friendly and had a sound knowledge of what went into each dish. Tasty, quick service and well priced.

Pros: tasty, well priced, service
syl
syl

Amazing

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2013

Not a mock meat fan normally, but this is the best I've had outside of China! There are plenty of delicious cook to order non mock meat as well. Family business to boot, could not recommend higher!!
Updated from previous review on Friday January 18, 2013

Pros: Amazing Food, Best Mock Meat, Family Owned
Cons: None!
aimeebound
aimeebound

Tasty Food

Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

This cafe has a huge range of tasty food, and very friendly staff. The bain marie options are always fresh, and contain a range of vegan and gluten free options.

Big range on the menu also :)

This place is one of my favourites!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
AngelaWaite
AngelaWaite

Best Vegetarian Meal In Town!

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

Without a doubt, brilliant vegetarian options! Could eat there every day!

AdamVegan
AdamVegan

Hobart's best

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

this is an incredible find in Hobart, by far the best vego place in Tasmania ( and I have eaten at them all!). The owners are dedicated vegos and have a love of food. It is family run. Food is always amazing. have ready to eat available, or unique off the menu items. also some beautiful rolls and mock chicken drum sticks. I love this place and would recommend it to anyone!

als808
als808

My favourite restaurant

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

I always go here whenever in Hobart. I order the leafy greens dish med/hot. I just love, love, love it! I have no idea how they do their mockmeat, but it's amazingly yum. Also, the owners are so friendly, and I look forward to saying hi.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Generous portions
Mr Veggie
Mr Veggie
  • raw

Average

Posted on 03 / 11 / 2010

I have had some meal there before and I found the taste a little inconsistent and very greasy

Cons: greasy, inconstistent, dear
vegan_simon
vegan_simon

Get Back to Your 'Green Roots'!

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2009

'Chai Gen Xiang' ('Roots of all Green'), better known as 'Chai' is found in Mathers Lane: a quaint strip of shops more like an arcade, located between Liverpool and Bathurst Streets, in the block between Murray and Elizabeth Streets.

I went to Chai a few times for the 'bain marie' lunch special: 2 dishes and rice for $9.50, and there was a different, yummy selection each time, including curry pot & mixed vegetables. The cold selection includes sushi rolls, spicy gluten 'meat' rolls & rice paper rolls. The board menu includes 'Duo Dishes' for two people (Layer Tofu, Chai Wan, Sizzling Ginger Soya, etc), and 'Cook-to-Order' meals (for one person) like Chili Hot Ho Fan, Korean Noodles, etc.

Open 10-5pm Monday-Friday (kitchen closes about 4pm), Saturdays 10:30am-2:30pm.

Catering platters and set menu Take Away dinners are available by phone order.

Egil
Egil

Lunch-time Gem

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2008

This small eatery in Mathers Lane is a real find. Immaculately clean with tasty Asian-inspired meals,
including mock meats. Very friendly atmosphere.

Pros: tasty food, prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Chai Vegetarian Cuisine: