A huge selection of vegetarian items, also vegan-friendly, lots of organic items Produce, Vitamins. more-less
4821 Broadway
San Antonio, Texas 07821
210-368-8600

First Review by StephanieR
SaraJRobinson
SaraJRobinson

all smiles

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

I was happy to see that they has most of all the brands and items that I like! The people were helpful and friendly. The store was easy to get through and locate items. CLEAN! It was less expensive then going to whole foods/ BUT did not have all the brands I enjoy at whole foods market.

Pros: affordable , Friendly/helpful, $$
Cons: location, not all the brands I like
Veggiechiliqueen
Veggiechiliqueen

Smaller selection than previously, but still fun

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2009

I'm a Midwestern transplant who's used to shopping at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, so I was thrilled to discover the upscale shopping experience known as Central Market.

Central Market features food and beverage imports from around the globe (beer, wine, cheeses, meats, produce, grocery), a large selection of bulk foods, including organic beans, rice, whole grains, dried fruits, spices, and coffee beans, dietary supplements, health and beauty, eco-friendly cleaning supplies, and more. Looking for authentic Greek yogurt? Check. Umeboshi? Check. Quince preserves from Spain? Check. You can also pick up European kitchen wares, gorgeous fresh flowers, a stunning assortment of prepared hot and cold entrees and sides to go (CM also caters), and even enroll in cooking classes.

This is the most complete all-in-one shopping destination that I've found, and there are plenty of vegetarian and vegan-friendly options both in packaged grocery and the deli (items are labeled as veg or vegan). If you're on a gluten-free diet, Central Market also has a large assortment of GF baking mixes, crackers, snack foods, and more.

Like other victims of the recession, Central Market has noticably downsized by removing / widening aisles and cutting back on the once-hefty selection of imported and hard-to-find goods. The organic produce section is fairly small, and sometimes I get fresher organic produce at my local HEB Plus. I've had several bad experiences with buying the packaged organic greens; despite being used before the date, there were slimy, wilted greens in several boxes (perhaps this was a storage issue?).

But despite the reduced selection, it's still a fun place to shop and pick up unique eco-friendly gifts and great groceries. If you're looking for more unusual produce, you'll likely find it here (recent examples include white asparagus, chayote squash, strawberry papayas, and fresh lychees).

Pros: selection of bulk foods, gifts / cards, prepared foods / bakery
Cons: price, small selection of organic produce
pacific_waters
pacific_waters
  • raw

Not as happy as others

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2009

I have been traveling around the country for almost a year and have tried veg restaurants and markets from New York to Seattle. I wish I could agree that Central Market is as good as the glowing reviews say it is Limited selection of organic veggies. I saw as much in Fred's in Seattle. The prepared food section is large but the food looks old and dried out. For meat eaters the meat section lacks free range beef. I do complement their bakery section though.Even though I am mostly raw I do like a crusty rusty loaf every now and then. I'll be trying the San Antonio Whole Paycheck to see how that stacks up.

StephanieR
StephanieR

Grocery Shopping = Fun Shopping

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2008

Central Market has an absolute superb assortment of unique food items from all over the world and for all diet/meal plans. They even have a fantastic restaurant/deli type area with fresh gourmet food unlike I have ever seen before. Every time I finish my grocery errands I am left satisfied and content with such a great all-in-one marketplace. Who says grocery shopping can't be fun?!

Pros: unique foods, wine selection, global focus
Cons: far from home

Dear Owner and Manager of Central Market: