Caudwell's Mill Craft Centre

Family friendly restaurant in the centre of good walking country. Tasty vegan soups. Workshops, craft shop, tea rooms, and gallery. Closes an hour earlier Apr 1-Oct 31. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, English
Caudwells Mill, Rowsley, Matlock (Bakewell Rd, on the A6 at Rowsley)
Matlock, England DE4 2EB

Libra77
Libra77

Beautiful location

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2015

Visited here with my mum and was pleasantly surprised. There isn't a huge vegan choice but the menu is completely vegetarian otherwise. My mum is neither and enjoyed her Homity Pie and salad, all of which was fresh and far from boring. I had the only vegan main option which was the Black Bean Rissoles which weren't very flavoursome and were very dry. However the rest of the meal was enjoyable. We were too full to eat after the main so took away some cake. A few of the cakes are vegan, I opted for the Date and Walnut, which my dog decided to pinch from my handbag when I got home so I've no idea what it tasted like but it looked delicious!

The cafe is in a beautiful location and there are plenty of local walks in the area. Dogs are also allowed in the cafe. The gift shops/craft shops sell unusual and interesting items. You can also buy flour, oats etc from the mill at what I thought were reasonable prices. My mum thoroughly enjoyed her afternoon there and has been planning her next visit already!
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 11, 2015

Pros: Beautiful location, Fresh food, Dog friendly
Cons: Vegan items not listed need to ask staff, Limited vegan options, Can be very busy
apriltui
apriltui

Caudwells Mill

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

Fairly good food in a lovely location. You wouldn't expect to find a vegetarian cafe here, so in that respect it was a nice surprise. I do find all the veg cafes in the Peaks do the same food ie Homity Pie and basic salad. The soup was very average. With more effort, it could be really great. Also, how much would it take to bring cutlery to the table? It's called service!!

Pros: Location excellent, Friendly staff, Nice food
Cons: Lacked imaginative menu, Coffee average
The Humble Servant
The Humble Servant

COULD BE FABULOUS - QUALITY VARIES & TIMES ODD!

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2011

We first visited Caudwells a few years ago, and had one of our best restaurant vegetarian meals for years. Sadly, on two further occasions were disappointed to varying degrees. On our second visit, it appeared the (owner?) wasn't cooking, and the "fresh" flan and salad served were obviously neither fresh, nor nicely presented. Gave it one more chance a few months ago, and although the presentation of food was back to standard, a lot of the food (including the glorious looking cakes) seemed almost tasteless. This place could truly be fabulous, it's location is stunning overlooking a mill-race, just down the road from Chatsworth. In a mill complex where you can buy stoneground flour etc. The other thing that is extremely odd, and madly annoying is it's restricted food service times. On our last visit, we arrived just before midday and were turned away because lunch service was only between (say) 12.30 - 2pm. Can't quite remember. What this meant was that when we did return, the place was overflowing with coach party customers, nibbling on scones and tea, and we struggled to queue, order our food, and find a seat in the allotted window of opportunity. A real shame, and I genuinely hope the owner reads this, and takes our comments in the spirit intended, because we would like to become regular customers!
*PS, just read previous review, and have to say, toilets are 30 seconds walk, adjacent to Art Gallery!! Cheers!

Pros: Location, Ambience & Decor, Food sometimes excellent
Cons: restricted service times, Lack of outside seating, Food not always good

greysquirrel
greysquirrel

Worth popping in

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2007

Very busy in the daytime but the staff keep their patience well. The cafe is in a beauty spot overlooking a river (the Wye or the Derwent? I can never remember)which seems to be for ever on the point of overflowing.
Usually two good soup options. Cakes are a speciality but don't ask for a scone because they fall to bits when you try to cut them in half.

Pros: Good-natured staff, Great surroundings
Cons: A long walk to the toilets

Dear Owner and Manager of Caudwell's Mill Craft Centre: