Cat-themed craft beer bar with 9 taps and 30+ bottles of mainly local Catalan & BrewDog beers. Serves a selection of vegan food mainly burgers plus wheat-free options. A piano is available for anyone who can play, and there are random passing guitarist and violinist playing. Kitchen is open Mon-Sat 6:30-11:30pm; the bar stays open until 1:00-2:30am. Free WiFi. No reservation taken. No air-con. Limited bicycle parking available. At busy time a waiting list might operate. Directions: on Via Laietana going inland take next street on right after c/Princesa (at c/Boria 17, street renames itself to c/Carders after 100 meters). Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Boria 17 (Laietana, Metro Jaume 1)
Barcelona, Spain 08003
+34-932956815
OPEN NOW

Mon-Thu 6:00pm-1:30am, Fri-Sat 6:00pm-2:30am

First Review by laceygean
daveharruk
daveharruk

Slightly chaotic, but fun and friendly

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2014

The portions of food on offer are huge, the quality and range of beer on offer is excellent - there is a choice of around 9 taps available. We tried, for example, a spiced pumpkin ale, which was excellent if a little strong for a session beer. Ironically the Spanish speaking staff here knew less about what food was available than the English speaking - so might be seen as a little chaotic but not in a bad way as the staff were always helpful and friendly. It is very close to Jaume I metro station, so easy to get too as well.

Pros: Great range of beers, Good value, Friendly and helpful staff
cakeandcounselling
cakeandcounselling

Best burgers, run by an English guy

Posted on 10 / 23 / 2014

I love cats and good vegan burgers so I was quite excited to try the Cat Bar. The burgers lived up the hype, they were delicious. The veganaise was particularly good, my non-vegan partner was very impressed. He also loved the tasting platter of craft beers. It's run by an English guy, so obviously English is spoken there meaning it's great for travellers. The atmosphere was great, quite full but not too crowded, the only thing that could have made it better would have been some actual cats roaming around :)

Pros: Best vegan burgers, English spoken, Relaxed atmosphere
paperanimal
paperanimal

Yummy vegan burgers

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2014

Great vegan burgers with delightful bravas. I enjoyed having a wider beer selection than most places in Spain, and had a nice ginger beer that I doubt I'd be able to find anywhere else paired with such a great burger. Loved the paintings on the walls and the overall vibe. Really close to a metro stop. Only annoyance was lack of AC or much ventilation; it was rather hot in the crowded bar.

Pros: good location, great bravas and vegannaise, quirky vibes
Cons: a little hot, a little crowded

NewVegan28
NewVegan28

Vegan Comfort Food at Cat Bar

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2014

My boyfriend and I visited Cat Bar last night. The only options were burgers and sides, which was fine, but a bit more variety would be nice. My burger was delicious, I forget the name of it but it had aubergine and caramelised onion with it, although the bun did fall apart so it got pretty messy. My boyfriend had the Mexican burger. We both really enjoyed the burgers and bravas potatoes, plus the lager was good too. It was very warm and the fans didn't offer much relief, air conditioning would be a benefit, especially in the summer I would imagine. The decor was quirky and the staff were friendly, reasonably priced. I would go again.

Pros: Good tasty comfort food, Reasonably priced
Cons: Very warm, could do with air con!
JosephSanisidro
JosephSanisidro

Peculiar

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2014

the place has a style, with no doubt! Choice of craft beer is excellent. Food is good, matching the bar atmosphere (casual) but I missed the "wow" feeling. But I would recommend it anyway.

Riotdontdiet
Riotdontdiet

Very tasty burgers

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

The burgers were good and there's a lot of beers to choose from, of which you can have a taste before choosing. Burgers came with potatoes or a salad, which made it a decent meal.

Pros: good food, friendly staff
Vala
Vala

Like this place!

Posted on 09 / 02 / 2014

We ate here the best vegan sandwiches! Good price, good food and nice place.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Good food, good price
Cons: You can order to eat until 11 pm
chubbyvegan
chubbyvegan

Very good

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2014

I loved Cat Bar. I had the 'Crazy Burger' and a salad and they exceeded my expectations. The beer is also very good and they've got interesting flavours. There's an option to have a sample for one euro before you order one, and I recommend that you do before ordering the Cat Porter (strangest beer I've ever tasted). The staff is super friendly and the atmosphere is great. I'd definitely take my non-vegan friends here.

Pros: Delicious food and perfect portion size, Friendly staff & nice atmosphere, Lively neighborhood
MJG
MJG
  • non-vegetarian

Good deal, delicious burger!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

This is an excellent choice of restaurant if you want something veg, simple, and tasty. Visited on Aug 1st, 2014. Had the bean burger and my friend had the nut and seed burger. We agreed that the bean was slightly better and the salads were fresh and delicious. Didn't try the potatoes because I avoid fried food and I forgot to ask how they are prepared.

So in the land of seafood paella, this is a refreshing option. Nice beers and cider too.

Pros: Not complicated., Good price.
DaniM
DaniM

Very yummy!

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

The food is just soooo delicious and you'll get a big portion for not that much money. The atmosphere is cool and it's located in the middle of the centre.

JonJon
JonJon

Vegan bar with great food!

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

We went there for dinner just before 11pm and they still served food so we were happy to find them! We took two different burgers, one with vegan cheese and caramelized onions and one with a Mexican flavour. Both of them were tasty even if the Mexican one was very spicy! Be aware of that ;-). We found their potatoes really amazing and extremely fondant. Their salads and gazpacho were good too. The place offers a huge choice of beers and stays open until late. In terms of ambiance, it has an american style. Staff is friendly and the restaurant is well located very not far from Jaume I subway station.

Pros: great food, amazing potatoes, good choice of beers, friendly staff, very well located
hack_man
hack_man

Craft Ales and Vegan Pub Grub

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

We have been to Barcelona 3 times at the same time of year (late December to early January) but unfortunately Cat Bar has never been open due to annual holidays. However, on a 4th visit in April 2014 it was business as usual and what a great place it is. As the name suggests, it's a bar, and it's quite a great bar actually. Cool and funky, great lighting and a fantastic selection of beers at decent prices (€2.50 - €3 a glass). I would say food is secondary to the beer here but it's very tasty and if you want a good value tasty vegan burger made with animal-free passion then the Cat Bar is the place to go. There is a comfortable raised seating area overlooking the main bar area where you can chill for hours whilst enjoying the free wifi and the beer of course.

Pros: great beers, good burgers, nice location
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

CatBar will be closed from Sunday 22nd of December 2013 to 2nd of January 2014.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

We posted a signs on the shutters stating our opening times and included the CatBar map of all the other Vegan places within a 10 minute walk, we even replaced them after inconsiderate people removed them.
    We also posted on our Facebook page, linked via this page, which said:-
    "Cat Bar CAT Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 8:59pm
    The CatBar will close at 6pm on Monday 31th December
    and it will be closed all day on 1st and 2nd January. Happy New Year."
    also the year before:-
    "Sunday, December 25, 2011 at 12:38pm
    Cat Bar on Holidays until the 3th of January !!! Happy New Year Kittens !!! MEOWWWWWWWW!" www.facebook.com/CatBarCAT
    If you want a quiet Xmas and new year visit Barcelona,
    nothing much happens, not even fireworks,
    next Xmas we close and go to Barrow-in-Furness to party...

Kangzosa
Kangzosa

Good

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2014

If your into beer this is probably a really good place to go, but the food is decent as well for those who don´t drink and want a good vegan meal.

Free wifi is good, if you want to strike up a conversation and be social this place is also really good, friendly staff. Limited menu is sort of to be expected, as it´s a bar not a restaurant.

Pros: Food is good, Beer if you drink
Cons: Limited menu
Fer
Fer

The first vegan in Barcelona

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

This was my first visit to a vegan restaurant in Barcelona. It is a small place fully of people that nigth. Specialized in beer. Good food. British owner makes english as predominant languaje. Mainly foreign customers. Good price and quality. To come back.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 01, 2014

Pros: In the center of the city, Price
Cons: Quite small
foggymed
foggymed

le meilleur restau vegan de Barcelone

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2014

Un excellent bar/restau 100% vegan à Barcelone. Bien situé, ambiance sympa, les serveuses parlent anglais ou français, et surtout c'est délicieux!
Les burgers sont excellents, les patatas bravas sont à tomber!
Il y a également des bières artisanales pour les amateurs.
En plus de ça c'est très abordable, donc foncez!

DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Nice!

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

Big portins and a great variety of burgers to pick. I went there twice and everything was great both times.I would definitely go there again. I don't know about the beers, but the staff is very friendly.

Pros: Great burgers!
bluszcz
bluszcz

Beer yes, food no

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2014

Catbar has amazing choices of beers... bit around year ago they changed menu - removing home made sausages to replace them with not so tasty burgers.

If u look for a place where u can crash with friends for nice beer and expensive vegan snacks - it may work. For dinning - I suggest to avoid.

Pros: Location, Cats, Beer
Cons: Prices, Food, Service
phillygirl79
phillygirl79

Awesome!

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

I just ate there tonight and loved it! After having to get by on patatas bravas at regular restaurants and having a dud of a meal at a "vegan-friendly" establishment elsewhere in the city over the past few days, I was dying for a GOOD vegan meal, and I got it here. I'm stuffed! We ordered the hummus, carrots, and bread and the soup to start. All were delicious, but if I lived in Barcelona, I would come by for the soup and bread every day. Amazing! Then, we each had a burger and chips (patatas bravas are also available, but since that's been all I can eat at other places, I was ready for a change). The burgers are huge and delicious! Seriously. These are great quality, clearly handmade stuff. Unfortunately, since they were just reopening after the holiday break, only one dessert was available (a yummy banana muffin), but I could have murdered other options had they had those, I'm sure!

I'm not quite sure why there are reviews about surly or inattentive service. Everyone was lovely that we came across, and even when there was a rush, we simply went to the bar or signaled for assistance when we needed it, and we got it promptly. I even got talking to the one owner about French bulldogs since she had hers there (so cute!), and I am a fan of the breed. Everyone was super cool.

In short, this place was great. The cat-themed decor, the yummy food and beer, and the lovely staff made this a really fun (and filling) night. Thanks!

Pros: Awesome food!!!, Friendly, accommodating staff, Cats!!
Isabeille
Isabeille

Very Nice

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

Simple and accessible, this charming place serves artisanal beer and great food. Quite recommended even to bring with you non-vegan friend:) Service is efficient but welcoming. Smooth atmosphere, a piano player, cat paintings what more do you need?

Pros: Cats, artisanal beer, Vibe
Veganbogey
Veganbogey

Happy hungry vegan

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

Good sized portions. Very friendly staff. The pastas bravas had a cheese like sauce which wasn't cheese but was amazing!
To order you fill in a tick box form, which cuts out any language misunderstandings. Good idea!.
It's a pity the menu is mainly burgers and there was no vegan cake left.

It took a while to find the restaurant but it is worth persevering!

jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Tasty Burger

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

I had high expectations for this place, as they combine 3 of my favorite things: vegan food, craft beer, and cats. I was not at all disappointed. The Champion burger was seriously the best I've had in the past year, maybe ever. The fries were delicious as well. The vegenaise was so good I didn't even use ketchup, which is definitely a first for me. My husband enjoyed his burger, but thought it was a bit heavy on the raw onion. The portions were large, but we definitely weren't complaining. We went on a Saturday night, and though slightly crowded, we received prompt and courteous service. We tried several of the beers, and while the BrewDog was good, it was nice to have a selection of local Catalan beers to try. I'm just sorry they are closed on Sundays or we would eat there again before leaving Barcelona.

Pros: delicious burger, large portion, good beer
laurute
laurute

Excellent with a but

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

We must say we are not big fans of vegan burgers - here in Germany they taste all the same.... but we chose to try Catbar anyway because it is all vegan and we like to support vegan restaurants. We were so enthusiastic of our burgers that we went there twice! Really tasty! But we have a "but"...... the second time we saw serving Coke (yes, the original one...). Now, the place wants to be a little bit punk, they have a big american flag on the wall with multinational brands instead of the stars.... you should not serve C.ca C.la! it is one of the worst multinationals in the world!! After our enthusiasm we were so disappointed :(

Pros: tasty burgers, nice place, good beers
Cons: multinational brand's drinks
  • laurute laurute

We are not hipsters, we are just responsible consumers. Please do not say things you do not know about people. The response from CatBar was much more intelligent than yours.... Inform yourself before talking - and drinking crap.

• Cashmere Cashmere

I like Coca cola very much, as a lot of people do, so please continue serving it and don't change just for one couple of wannabe hipsters :p Although the Fritz cola and Afri cola which I have drunk in Berlin are also very good and much cheaper. Except Pepsi, which tastes really bad. But the main thing is that the burgers and fries were very tasty, and it's nice to have much more veggie options in Barcelona than I had expected, thanks to Happy cow.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

I personally can't understand why anyone would want to drink anything other than one the 8, mainly local, vegan craft beers that we have on tap.... or a nice cup of tea, but some people just want sugar water, and Coke-cola is vegan sugar water, and a lot of vegans drink it, if someone brings us an acceptable substitute, in "taste" and price, we will replace it immediately, but no one has yet.
    There are now 80 breweries in Catalunya, making alternatives to the tasteless crap beer made by the only brewery that existed here 10 years ago, maybe someone will try to challenge coca-cola one day...
    CatBar tries to ensure that every product is here is vegan,
    and as far as we know only thing that isn't vegan is the piano...... and most of the customers.

manulaX1
manulaX1

Best burgers in town!

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

Don't listen to the previous 2-star review - the staff is really helpful and sweethearts. You just have to talk to them if you want to order, not just sit around and walk away in a childish way.

We mainly came here because of the food, and it really was delicious! Big portion, different kinds of burgers and extras ingredients like eggplants. I really love the spicy sauces they have around the table and the wide varieties of beers are also very tasty with the burgers.

Burgers are this big that you have to eat them with knife and fork. At least I recommend it, else it's getting a bit messy. ;-)

Pros: Huge portions, Good price value , Lots and LOTS of beer
willynwendy
willynwendy

I would not know

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

went there last Friday, 25th. we sat at an high table right in front of the bar which was totally dirty and wet. We were there about 20 minutes and during that time no service was ever offered. In the meantime the 2 girls working there lost most of their time chatting with a friend that arrived careless about the costumers and served second rounds to tables from clients that were already there before we arrived, but never for a second cared to help us or clean the table up. more than that, the girls noticed we were there and laughed at the situation between the two of them. Nowhere in the bar in any language whatsoever was it written that it was supposed to be self-service at the bar and they served other tables personally, even if it was they could at least care to clean the table.

when they opted to serve other patron that arrived moments before and sat behind us, we decided to pack our things and go. there was an advertisement for a beer they sell, saying it was the beer punks drink. I doubt any punk would ever drink at this place, the beers were more than expensive and the bar had a bourgeois kind of feel where it seems to be hip to be at.

I would give it a 0 rate but it seems the lowest I am allowed is 2 cows (?)

• bluszcz bluszcz

I have to add, that after spending several days at Catbar - unfortunately I have same impression like willynwendy.

On the other side - I believe that this placed is beloved by local veggie youngsters, who perhaps enjoy place even more because of 'distorted environment' :)

I would say, that staff is like mermaite 'you can love it or hate it'.

• manulaX1 manulaX1

Usually I'm not rude like this, but since I have been at CatBar at exactly the same day (yes, also on 25th when they have closed) I'd like to add following:

I absolutely can not understand willynwendy and her (his?) drama-queen bahaviour. Just because the gals and guys at the CatBars did not (metaphorically) roll out the red carpet for you, doesn't mean it's alright to discredit them in any way possible - and even complain that you can't even rate them lower.

Next time, just open your mouth if they don't get it in first place that you're here. It's not a four-star restaurant. It's a bar with vegan food run by punk rockers.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

We have a 4 year old customer, she comes in, finds an empty bar stool, climbs onto it, then stands on top of it, attracts the bar staffs attention, by speaking, and asks for a juice and cake,

as you said "yes I knew it was bar, the description is indeed quite clear about it."

so we are curious about what you expected the bar staff to do for you, to get you to order a drink, which presumably was your reason for being in the bar area,
    you knew who the bar staff were, and where they were, but didn't order anything?

• willynwendy willynwendy

I am the one who is not served, therefore I am rude. You just proved me right, so said punks do not go to your bar to have beer, they are given it for free even if theoretically that is not entirely true.

Thank you for checking my profile and lurking on my other reviews, I hope that was insightful for you and your business. It is a pity though that your reading and understanding skills are poor for if you read my review on Veggie Garden carefully you will notice that I never wrote it was expensive but rather that I thought it was a fair price. In retribution, I must express my gratitude for your economical insight and prophesying on Prague and Barcelona, even though you clearly have no clue of what you are talking about.

Now you already talked with your staff and they know all about it. Then tell them they should clean the tables and that to say hi to their friends, bring them food in a bag from the kitchen and talk with them about life does not qualify as greeting the patrons or offering to help.

As another reviewer already posted, you are not a restaurant and you are listed in the wrong category. You are a bar and you should be under Stores n' More. In that way you would never have been on my list and I would never have been curious to visit your place. And yes I knew it was bar, the description is indeed quite clear about it.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

The kitchen staff are "punks" not slaves
    They do things away from the bar, a tattooist, T-shirts maker, artist, welder, clothes designer.
    They decide when to work, the hours they work, what to cook.
    Everyone in CatBar gets paid the same, plus all get free beer and food.
    If all the staff want to attend an event, we close the bar, as on the 25th,
    we closed on 12thOCT as the "punk" staff didn't want to come into town while there were fascist demonstrators in the area and risk being attacked by them.

I respond in the way I'm addressed, and giving 2 stars because you were incapable of buying a beer in 20 minutes, in a bar that holds 24 people with 2 bar-staff, when everyone else could, especially when you were sitting right next to the bar, is rude.
    You think 8.25€ for a 3 course meal with wine is expensive, but for portions of 3 vegan ice-creams it's cheap.
    You visited another vegan place, the cheapest, and complained that some of the food was cold, but didn't ask for another plate, which would have been supplied immediately.
    You compare prices in Barcelona with Praha, but prices are half in Praha in comparison, but it will soon be equal.

You found us on HappyCow where the description says :-
    Cat-themed craft beer bar with 9 taps and 30+ bottles of mainly local Catalan & BrewDog Beers. Serves a selection of vegan food mainly burgers plus wheat-free options.. LIMITED table service.
    Do we match up to our description 4 stars, exceed the description 5 stars, Wrong description 2 stars !!!!

Since my 1st response I asked them,
    both bar-staff did say Hi to you but you carried on talking to your partner and ignored them,
    they passed you to take other orders and you didn't say anything.
    They prepared beer 1 metre from you and you said nothing.
    They kept looking at you from the bar to see if there was any sign you wanted to order but you indicated nothing. We are here to sell you stuff.

The "Friend" on HappyCow means we help fund this site

• willynwendy willynwendy

I appreciate the method that you keep of responding the rudest way possible to any negative review to your place. Yes, I meant the 27th but we also passed the 25th to find it closed. When we came in the table was already clearly vacant for a long time and the way your waitresses acted has no excuse. Also, I am an individual that is quite distinguishable from any other that might have sited in that table before us.

The menu board stated nothing besides beers' prices. We live in the Czech Republic where are literally hundreds of "handicraft" beers, as you say, and mini breweries and not even the most expensive in a similar place like yours is half the price as the cheapest one you had in your board. Do not tell me it is a Catalunya thing because luckily I was able to visit other places than your excuse of a bar and there were the same kind of beers for half the price, and no I am not talking about street sellers.

I also appreciate the way you distinguish punks as the slaves working in your kitchen, presuming that then they spend their slavery money in the bar after they finish cleaning your dishes. You guys clearly live off the fact that you state "Vegano" at the entrance and many people like us got you as the first entrance here on HappyCow because you are labelled as "friends".

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

I presume you mean Friday 27th Sept as we were closed on the 25th.
    The tables are cleaned between every customer, so you must have sat at a table that had just been vacated and the staff didn't realize you were different people, but you didn't say anything for 20 minutes???
    The menu board states "you can be served at your table, but going to the bar is quicker", but even so you still have to indicate you want serving, one way to do this is by speaking to the staff, another is waving, we stopped using ESP.
    Many customers continue to sit at their table, talking, even after paying and finishing their drinks, even after their glasses are taken away, its rude to do so in many countries, but normal in Catalunya, but we don't disturb them unless we need the table, even then we only ask them to move to the bar area, and as you were in the bar area you were left alone.
    One of our 8 craft beers is called BrewDog PUNK IPA, we sell it cheaper than any other bar in town, if you want cheap crap beer ask the street sellers, there is also a bar in Poland that sells PUNK cheaper than us.
    The Punks do drink in the bar, especially after they finish work in the kitchen, unless there is a concert or party in their squat.

millavinilla
millavinilla

Veggie burger obsessed

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

So I'm pretty obsessed with veggie burgers and I'm a self-described cat lady. Burger and chips were really good. Bartender was really friendly. Definite stop for the Brit abroad. Only down side was my husband isn't a fan of veggie burgers.. (This is pretty much all they serve) His loss ;)

Pros: Cat themed, Menu full of veggie burgers
buttercup2010
buttercup2010

CatBar vegano

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

Came here with my very hungry vegetarian boyfriend and my vegan sister and we were totally satisfied by this unique place.

All of us had different burgers so we could taste through them and we really loved them! We tried a few different beers which were very tasty. Also the cake was delicious!

Our Résumé: *****
Delicious food, great beer, nice people and good live music!!! Really worth coming back soon!!!

Pros: Food - quality and quantity, great beers, live music, dancing
Joe2013
Joe2013

I’ll be back!

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

Best cow recommended, dog friendly cat bar in town! My partner and I were in the Cat Bar quite a few times over our three week stay in Barcelona. The food was great and the portions were very generous. I had my first introduction to Brew Dog beer there which I hope to drink again some time soon. The staff are all really friendly. There was good live music and a great atmosphere – very easy to get talking to people! I’m missing the place already and I definitely intend to visit again.

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere
forisma
forisma

Just a burger

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

We were at the bar for a day menu burger with fries (15-9-2013). It was OK but nothing special - I liked the fries but disliked the burger. It was a good big portion though.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 16, 2013

Pros: Not expencive, Good portion
Cons: Not special, the taste can be better
arherron
arherron

visit again and again

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

We were lucky to get a table in this welcoming and funky bar. The menu is mainly burgers but some of the best burgers I've had. The salad starter was really good too. A massive range of beers, dogs are welcome, everything's vegan and its easy to find. It opens at 6pm. Recommended.

Pros: all vegan and all tasty! , great atmosphere , large portions
Harp
Harp

Nice GatoBar

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

- Ambiance: really nice, the vibe of the place is great and the staff very friendly. You even can enjoy live piano music.

- Food: a big burguer with fries. The fries were awesome but the burguer was a little bit tasteless.

Anyway, I want to try it another day and I'll update the review accordingly.

Pros: Vibe, Staff, Fries
PiotrZajaczkowski
PiotrZajaczkowski

Under a black cat mood

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

One word: AWSOME ! Didn't know what to expect as I associate vegan bars/restaurants with one of those too nice and too tidy places with no funky atmosphere. The Cat Bar is totally different ! It's like one of these small bars with character hidden in a charming narrow street. Interior is really cool. It is a busy bar what I like. Staff is soo friendly and eager to explain any details about food and drinks. And food...ABSOLUTELY AMAZING ! Burger dish is a HUGE portion of super food on a plate. Didn't manage to eat all though it was too much for me :) Enjoyed some local/organic beer and my girlfriend had some organic wine - LOVELY ! Live piano music in the background created unforgetable atmosphere. Prices ? We paid E25 for 2 burgers and some drinks - reasonable, even cheap I could say. Will I come back ? Well...I GOT SOAKED ALREADY - COUNT ME IN :D

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Staff
Cons: Toilet (my gf opinion)
FontellaLloyd
FontellaLloyd

Interesting off-beat bar

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

I've been to this bar/restaurant a few times now. We stumbled upon it the first time we went to Barcelona in April 2012 and were so happy to find a vegan restaurant with an amazing selection of beer that we visited it every day of the holiday (3 days). The food was good with lots of tofu, if a little weird (it wasn't marinated and came in big lumps).

We went back in July this year for my birthday, this time for 5 nights. We were very happy with the cider options (1 v large bottle for only 4 euros) as 1 of us can't drink beer (gluten free), but not so happy with the almost exclusively burger menu, as this didn't provide much variety. However the chips - British style, were amazing! We tried the burritos, both gluten free & gluten full, the following day but were disappointed with the portions, especially the gluten free option which wasn't very burrito like at all, something like stuffed tomatoes and not many of them, though it was tasty. Staff were very friendly and I would recommend it for a quirky atmosphere, though not as much fun it seems as the first time we tried it.

Pros: A great variety of beer, great chips, quirky, friendly atmosphere
Cons: lack of food variety, small portions for gluten free people
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

We also have 3 Gluten Free beers as well as cider.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

Sorry about the small portions. It take a while for new staff to adjust to making our large portion.
    Last year we had an amazing chef, cooking 3 or 4 different plates a day of 5 Star restaurant food at CatBar prices, but everybody just bought the burgers... she now has her own place in Copenhagen, and we mainly make burgers, but we do try to have a wheat free option every day.
    Some nights a good fun with random pianist and guitars, some are boring, some too just too hot and too full...

Deborah3000
Deborah3000

Not very good

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

I went there with a friend. It's quite small. The menu is not great unless you're into burgers... We had something with tabouleh in it. Not very good.
While we were there a staff member arrived with a bicycle which she stored next to another couple of bikes at the back of the restaurant. Somebody was sitting next to the bikes and had to move her chair a bit. She and her companion left soon afterwards.
Not a place I would recommend

Pros: none
Cons: too small, bikes in the way, lack of choice of food
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

There are 2 options on Happy Cow, Restaurant or Store, we are not a store.
    We are called CatBAR.
    The 1st sentence of our description above reads:-
    Vegan artisan beer bar and restaurant featuring 9 beers on tap, 30+ mainly local Catalan craft beers in bottles, Cat-ish decoration.
    Veggie Gardens / Juicy Jones are good for traditional Vegetarian meals.
    CatBar is different, its the place to, eat, drink, party, meet new people, with random musicians playing, but where everything you eat and drink is vegan.

• Deborah3000 Deborah3000

The bikes were brought in and taken out by staff members when I went to the restaurant.
    Bikes are a hygiene issue if you move them around the seating area of the restaurant. Comparing that to bringing in children is a bit strange. Catbar is also advertised as a restaurant on HappyCow so people expect food and not mainly beer.
    I would recommend to vegans a restaurant like Veggie Garden which has an extensive and varied vegan menu and where you can eat comfortably without having to move to accommodate bikes or other things.
    As I mentioned in my previous message, Catbar might be ok if you eat burgers but I didn't choose that option.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

Note:- Customers are free to bring in their bicycles, children and dogs too, its much safer than leaving them on the street.
    Also note:- if you sit next to the piano you may have to move your chair a bit when a pianist wants to play.
    CatBAR as the name suggests is a BAR, actually its an Artisan beer bar with 9 Taps and 30+ local bottled beers, with vegan food, mainly burgers, plus 1 or 2 non-burger options.
    The non-burger options are usually lighter, wheat free and are different every day. It could be a rice dish, spaghetti, Brazilian, Chinese, Italian, Spicy or smokey and if you don't like it we will always change it for something else, if a few people don't like it, it will never be on the menu again, and the chef sacrificed to the vegan gods.
    If it's your 1st visit we suggest you try the Award winning Green, or the new Mexican, Burger.
    The only posh "Restaurant" suitable for vegans in Barcelona is Teresa Carles Cocina http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=5884
    all the others are low budget eating places and are shown on the Map on the CatBarCAT Facebook page, and reviewed here on Happycow.net

vegyogachick
vegyogachick

Amazing Burgers & Fries!

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013

I had read a lot of great reviews about this bar prior to going to Barcelona and was so excited to finally get to eat there. It’s located just a short walk from the Cathedral. It’s a small, cozy bar that specializes in vegan burgers and artisan beer. For our dinner we ordered 2 burgers, patatas bravas and the 2 most popular beers served. Food was great, staff was friendly (we even spoke to the owner for a few mins) and it was a great atmosphere for hanging out and enjoying good food and beer. There’s also live music.

beegantravels
beegantravels

Would Like To Try Again

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

Although I really liked the idea of this place (and the staff was very friendly), I'm sorry to say that I wasn't too crazy about what I had to eat. I would've gone back to try something different had I been in Barcelona longer and I would give it another try if I ever got a chance to return to Barcelona!

Pros: friendly staff
ele_phant
ele_phant

twice in three days

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

I was really happy to find cat bar through happy cow. I liked the burger so much we came back two days later. not sure why anyone is complaining about decor though i am more of a dog person I thought it was great and the people were really helpful and friendly.
I think we got charged for a water which should have been included in the menu del dia but i only realised once we left.
Love it and will come back next time

Pros: totally vegan, friendly people, good food
Wine Lover
Wine Lover

Mainly burgers!

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

I ate at Cat Bar twice on my recent visit. The first time was about half an hour before they closed for the night. The menu is all burgers once the menu of the day is finished and there are several differently options (standard, spinach, bean burger etc).
I was served pretty quickly and the food came fast and was good. It was a nice atmosphere and someone was playing the piano.
The waitress spoke great english and was knowledgable about the changing selection of draught beers on offer. (The thyme one was delicious!) They also have a large selection of bottled beers in a fridge behind you when you are stood at the bar.

Our second visit was for Saturday lunch . We were very hungry and it took a long time for us to catch the eye of a waitress to come and take our order although she then did apologise for the wait. The specials blackboard was hidden, propped against the counter behind a table of other customers but they then did bring it out to show us - if you don't see it ask for it when you are seated.
Again the food arrived quickly and was nice. We had a table right by the street so had a nice breeze and could watch the world go by.

The place is a bit of a dive but fine if you like that sort of thing. The toilets however were very run down with broken flush handles and the top of the tap missing (and water only came out while you pressed it so you have to wash one hand at a time. On the second visit neither cubicle had toilet paper and when I asked for some I was told one toilet clogs up so they are not allowed to put toilet paper in there - bizarre! I feel even if you are running a place with a shabby bohemian feel the toilets should be clean and functional.

Pros: Good food brought out fast after ordered, Great beer selection on tap & bottled, Staff spoke good english
Cons: Service can be a bit inattentive, Bathrooms need repairs
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

IN A RUSH, don't wait to be spotted, just fill in an order form, they are on the bar,(2 forms "Burger Menu" or "Menu of the Day") mark what you require and pass back to the staff, the "menu of the day" options are on 2 blackboards 1 by the door in Spanish, and usually 1 by the bar in English.
    If you are not in a rush the staff will serve you at your table, but after the people at the bar have been served.
    Also please, do not try to rush the toilet flushing, lift the wire slowly, about an inch and wait, do not yank the top off, the instruction are also written on the toilet wall.
    The toilet pipe that clogs may be replaced when the building is replaced, till then we have to live with horizontal waste pipes.

SarahMorgan
SarahMorgan

Drinks visit

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2013

I drank alcohol free beer and my husband opted for the beer tasters. These were very small but a good variety of local and international beers including Scottish Brewdog! Beer was fairly pricey. Menu looked good and portions generous from what we could see of others meals and included a drink for about 11euros.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

The beer taster is 6 for 6 Euro and contains just over a pint.
    The BrewDog Punk at 4.30€ (£3.60) a pinta, is the cheapest in BCN.

Dynamic Duo
Dynamic Duo

Catbar was a welcome find in Barcelona!

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

We were very happy to find Catbar. Catbar is vegan and reasonably priced and the food was good. We were somewhat limited because one of us cannot have soy and they have a lot of soy in their foods, but there was enough to eat that we went there twice during our week in Barcelona. Note that despite the hours listed on Happy Cow they seem to be closed on Sundays and don't open until 8pm other days so check the hours or call before going there. They are centrally located so that helps a lot. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. They have a good beer selection too and seem to sometimes have live music and that was nice.

Pros: friendly staff, good food
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

Our hours are listed on our Facebook page, and include any last minute changes due to holidays or beer festivals.

OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

Thanks, CatBar Cats!

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2013

Visited CatBar over Easter weekend. It was fantastic! We arrived quite early as I'd seen from the reviews here that it was tricky to get a table, but there were a few tables free as well as seats at the bar. They have a smart ordering system where you get two pieces of paper and a pencil, you pick which menu you want on one and then give your exact specifications on the other. It's also order-at-the-bar service which is good in a busy place where the staff have to rush around :)

My bloke and I both had the Menu del Dia, which starts with soup -- it's only a small soup, but that's good, because there's tons of food to come! The soup was broccoli, cauliflower and lentil and SO GOOD! Then second course is a small salad... nice that it was not just from-a-bag leafy salad, it had lots of raw veggies in it as well as tasty polenta. Then you get the main event, which for us was the veggie burger and patatas bravas. Warning: it is a LOT of food! But so tasty. I agree with the poster below who says these are the best patatas bravas in Barcelona... I would be inclined to agree. The burger was also really good and came with heaps of salad, raw veggies and vegan mayo.

By pudding we were totally stuffed, but our very sweet waitress happily packed up our chocolate brownie dessert for us to take away. We sampled it later and it, too, was delicious.

The furnishings etc are funky, retro, a bit shabby and basic but it doesn't really need to be any fancier. They play cool music -- not overly loud -- and have a piano, too! We heard there are also quiz nights there in English? But we weren't in the area long enough to go :( The staff are also super cool, friendly, attentive. They were patient with us when we spoke Spanglish at them! We loved the place and will definitely go back next time we're in Barcelona. Thank you, Cat Bar Cats!

Pros: Great food, lots of food!, Lovely staff, Cool ordering system, lots of options
Cons: No cons!
dor_dafna
dor_dafna

Best veggie hamburgers in barcelona !!!

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2013

the place is really nice, warm and welcoming . the staff is really nice and knows english well (not a common thing in barcelona). the price is also very good for what you get...big and satisfying dishes.

Pros: friendly staff, located very good, amazing food
Cons: sometimes it takes long until the food , is served
Vegantravels
Vegantravels

Superb

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

Excellent food, drink and host Roy. Even house wine is vegan.

Pros: Great Value, Superb Food And Drink, Friendly Welcome
giu86
giu86

Warm Young and Familiar Ambiance

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2013

Young cool people serving very good saytan burgers with chips desert could have a bit more taste was a bit dry

Pros: Good Menu, Ambiance, Wifi
Cons: Toilette, Desert Taste
heywood100
heywood100

Excellent

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

For a while, it was looking like this place was going to have to remain on the wishlist - I had tried to come here on a previous visit to Barcelona, but didn;t pay attention to the opening times, and turned up at lunch, when it was firmly shut. This time, we arrived in the evening, only to find all the tables taken, with no idea of when a space would open up.

Luckily, we took so long deciding whether to try somewhere else or wait around for a table at CatBar that we inadverdently ended up waiting around for a table at CatBar. The food was tremendous value - if I remember correctly, it was 10 Euros for a three course meal with beer (or another drink of your choice). The lentil soup was an excellent way to start, and I then had a seitan steak in a creamy sauce, which I thought was a little more imaginative than you sometimes get from meat replacement dishes. The dessert was the only slight blemish, with the chocolate cake being rather dry - although on the plus side, if you like it, you can have unlimited servings.

After the food, the place is also a very pleasant bar with a very wide choice of fancy artisanal beers from Catalonia and elsewhere - even if you're not eating there, I'd say it's a great bar to hang out in for the evening. Top notch.

Toriay
Toriay

Pretty good!

Posted on 11 / 07 / 2012

The staff were friendly and helpful but only once you can catch there attention; it was only when other people came in I realised it was table service!
The food was pretty good but not amazing, though I only had one thing so maybe I'll have to go back again to try something else. The beer was great and all in all it was pretty good value.
Loved the decor and the music! Would go back!

Pros: ambience, beer, value
Cons: staff
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

People ordering at the bar will be served before the tables,
    at "expected" busy times there will be a 2nd barperson only doing table service.
    People sitting upstairs always have to order at the bar.

anne1
anne1

Quirky and Lovely

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

Love this place!
A vegan bar/restaurant serving vegan beer in the city centre: where could you go wrong? Perfectly situated just off Via Laietana near Placa St Jaume (Jaume metro, Line 4) this gorgeous place offers great food at amazingly reasonable prices. If you fancy a 'simple' burger there are plenty of options to choose from. If you have a bigger appetite you can order from the menu of the day: starter, main, dessert, drink and bread for just over ten Euros. Be warned though: the portions are healthy and you will need to be ready!
We ate a delicious mixed salad to start. Our mains were a vegetable wrap with sweet potatoes, carrot, hummous and a gorgeous 'carrot mayonnaise' and vegan 'meat'balls. Dessert was chocolate cake and a herb liqueur.
You can also take away from Cat Bar: we treated ourselved to a couple of slices of cake which were truly scrumptious.
It's not essential to be vegan to enjoy this place but it is well worth a visit if you are!

Pros: Location, Price, It's vegan!
Cons: Nothing
Underdog
Underdog
  • herbivore

Really liked this place!

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

My friend and I didn't have a great time at Gopal, but we both really liked CatBar.

The staff were friendly and took their time with us and the selection of local beers is great. I asked for a dark beer and it was black as the night, really strong, full of flavour.

The interior is hip, clean and I felt very comfortable. I would recommend this to a friend easily. The food was alright, especially considering the price. The service was speedy too.

I don't really know what else to add... I think that the only thing I didn't like so much was that there didn't appear to be a huge selection... But hey, I was in a tiny place, off season.

Pros: Friendly staff, Affordable, Great beer selection
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

The food selection usually includes:-
    Soup, Hummus, varying salads,
    Burgers with fillings,
    Burger meals with chips etc,
    Gluten free Quiche with different fillings each day,
    Piadinas with different fillings each day,
    Goulash and dumplings, similar every day,
    and a Special of the day (experiments which may become permanent, if popular)

Calypso Angst
Calypso Angst

Best vegan food in Barcelona, best bravas in Spain

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2012

The interior of the Cat Bar is young and bright and the staff are much the same. Welcoming, friendly and they speak to you in perfect English if your Spanish or Catalan is less than perfect. A giant cat face adorns the wall as you go in. The interior is slightly quirky without trying too hard.

They welcome the four-legged ones into the restaurant - which always wins favors with me. Sweep was treated like just another human customer, and lavished with water and tickles. And they also have free wi fi.

I've always had little respect for the clichéd English people abroad for a fortnight sitting eating egg and chips and watching football whilst they read red topped newspapers, but Cat Bar is something far different from that. And when you've been in Spain for over a year, a bit of marmite on toast is exactly what you want. Sweep loves it too.

Lovely restaurant with a great ethos in a lovely area of the most beautiful city in the world. Thumbs and paws up.

See more here:

Pros: atmosphere, dog friendly, wifi
Cons: no health food, no smoothies
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

2013. Our Raw Food menu didn't sell so is no longer available..and the smoothies too.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

Sorry. No more Marmite due to it being a "liquid" and therefore illegal to carry in hand luggage!!!

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

We are "Vegan with good beer"Bar, not a "Health food and yoga"Vegan Restaurant.
    But our Raw Vegan food could probably be classed as health food?
    Our wheat free quiches, all the starters and the piadinas are healthy too.
    The cakes are full of sugar and wheat so definitely not health food.
    Beer is healthy in moderation.

We do have smoothies,
    they are made from frozen fruits in apple juice, with no added sugar or ice,
    but these may will be discontinued soon due to lack of demand.

Trueblue87
Trueblue87

Disappointing

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2012

After reading do many positive reviews we trekked about 30 minutes from our hotel where none of the staff even greeted us, a couple sat down after us and had been served drinks before we had even been asked. The tall dark haired waitress was not friendly or helpful-even asking for sauces and cutlery seemed to be too much effort,more disappointment came when the food arrived the burger was tasteless and the bread with the hummus was so hard I thought I would break a tooth. A man (possibly the owner) was very helpful and friendly when we asked about directions-but even he didn't smile or greet us when we arrived)

Pros: Location, Home made chips
Cons: Rude/unfriendly staff, Food, Lack of ambiance
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

Now.. Free hugs on request.

aps101
aps101

Yumm!!!

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

I had the special which was Arepas with beans and guacamole. The arepas where the best I have ever had, literally mouth-watering. The chocolate cake I had for dessert was incredible as well. Great food, HUG selection of beer and friendly staff. A great place to hang out and a terrific location. Menu available in several languages. A must in Barcelona!

Pros: Food!, Drink Selection, Location
pesek
pesek

Fantastic place in the Gothic Quarter

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

Me and my wife went to Barcelona on our honeymoon very recently and did not find many good vegan restuarants. But that didn't really bother us, because we found Catbar.

Great food and large portions (I was called champion by the waitress cause' i managed to eat all my meals from the 3 dish menu). The waitress we met was really nice and made us feel welcome. It's also a very cozy place.

Big ups for Catbar, I wish you would open in Malmö aswell.

Pros: Cheap, Excellent food, Nice staff
Cons: -, -, -
Tigra220
Tigra220

Vegan Big-Mac!

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

After over a year of planning, I finally made it to CatBar on 15Jun. I found a spot near the back and nestled in for my indulgence. The bar had a very funky, hip vibe. Loved the ambience and the decor. It was late and I was hungry and in a hurry so I just ordered the veggie burger. I haven't had a flesh burger in decades, but I do recall the Big Mac's special sauce, and this burger reminded me exactly of that... It was vegan comfort food heaven! So so good it was. I ordered a chocolate & some sort of apple-ish cake to go. Both were very yummy as well. I'll happily return one day to try more.

Pros: Open late, Delicious vegan comfort food, Friendly staff
jon active
jon active

Good food and beer!

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2012

The food was good and healthy, we went for the specials rather than the all day breakfast!. My partner liked her Punk Beer, the waitress was friendly, it wasn't busy. The Death of Thatcher Party poster made us feel very at home. Would love one of these in London!

Pros: Healthy, Not too expensive
Cons: Smallish portions
Catwoman
Catwoman

Goulash yummy

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

I give 5 * to the best goulash ever - approved by Czech person! You make better dumplings than me! :) And the beer ... soon come back! :)

Pros: excellent food
xtinyvesselsx
xtinyvesselsx

waiting a lifetime to get our dinner

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

we visited cat bar for dinner on our first night in Barcelona. The bar was full and there was only one waitress so we had to wait 50 minutes to get our dishes. The menu we chose included a starter, a main meal, drink and the dessert. I got an "english breakfast" with "sausages", beans and eggplants. Sausages were fried and pretty disgusting; my boyfriend got some goulasch soup with something which looked like fried dough. Actually, we didn't enjoy our meal at all, but maybe we just made the wrong choices. We had been waiting so long that we decided to ask for take-away dessert. Chocolate cake and hummus were delicious; staff was quite friendly.

Pros: cheap, excellent desserts, big portions
Cons: small , noisy
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

Sorry, there should never have been a 50 minute wait, the starters / drinks should be out in 5 minutes, and the main course shortly after you finished your starter,(deep fried orders take longer), but if the bar was full and there was still only 1 waiter it sounds like we had an unexpected rush.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

The "English Vegan all day breakfast" is DEEP FRIED Sos-mix sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes with Heinz beans on toast, great with Steve's Best Bitter.
    The Goulash and Dumpling is a Seitan version of the East European classic, the Czech dumplings are a form of bread which is boiled not baked, our Polish and Czech customers like it with our Czech beers.
    If you don't like the food we will usually change it, our menus are only in Catalan, Spanish and English but the regional dishes can be hard to explain,
    I expect Haggis would be returned a lot..
    Tuesday's free live music nights and Wednesdays English quiz nights esp. if its a big prize night, are louder than other nights, but it does mean lots of non-vegans get to try vegan food.
    If you are in a big rush at busy times we are happy to direct you to nearby fast food takeaways with Vegan options "Wok to Walk" for noodles, "Maoz"for falafel and "Gopal" for burgers are all indicated on our "Vegan Guide to BCN" map,
    or explain you are in a rush when you order, but your main dish may arrive before you finish your starter.

Guest
Guest

Great Spot

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

Nice pub type restaurant with veggie burgers, salads, and specials.

• CatBarCat CatBarCat

and a large range of Catalan Artisan Beers.

marmot1972
marmot1972

Bit dissapointing..

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

I went with a friend that recently moved to Barcelona. There were just a few tables busy but service took quite long. Portions were excessive and for a dinner probably to heavy and greasy. The bartender a young friendly girl, was a bit lost, and left cleaning stuff in our table instead of our bread and they chased a couple questioning if they had paid.
I was very hopeful as there are very little good vegan restaurants in Barcelona, so to see a great possibility of a restaurant work like that was really sad.
We are not willing to try again, but maybe it was just a one of situation..

Pros: vegan
Cons: proportios, staff
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

You should state that you just opened another vegan food place in town,
    and that your visit was 6 months ago.

• marmot1972 marmot1972

I reviewed your place following my experience, terrible... But well I see that you cannot accept a fair review.. Sad... Check your facebook as you seem not to remember your words.
    No Vegetalia is not mu supplier, i use Biospirit, they are still great.
    Happy birthday, but as said in my first post, would be very careful efore going back there, furthermore after all this posts full of excuses.
    Any time you wish for your review, we would not change our ways of working for a hatred threat as this. Grow up and accept there could be bad reviews if your service annd food are not good, and 1cth Feb evening that was a nightmare. Goodbye by now, no more replies from me.

• marmot1972 marmot1972

I posted my review as well as the Vegetalia one (that you are still ignoring) the day I read your post in Facebook diminishing the rest of restaurants to give you publicity. (Quote "why people coming to work with us from all other vegan restaurants in Barcelona, serve so little in the plates" Unquote) If you need to do such a negative comment to give your place publicity is a sad image... Our visit to your place started in us the idea to have a vegan healthy space, where you can get proper healthy and organic food, with a naturopathy / dietist checking on the menues, instead of a ton of macaroni with cauliflower that could be used to build a wall. As per your staff, well I said enough on that day, maybe was the moon. We have been supporting all vegan businesses both in Spain and in Uk, as if you read my review there are too little places in such a big city. Places like Gopal, Juicy Jones, Vegetalia, Lujuria Vegana, La Estrella, Maoz etc, are always in my posts and recommendations to my non vegans friends trying to get a better understanding of what been vegan is, and obviously to my vegan friends all over the world. I wish you a long business life, and luckily there would be more vegan businesses open soon, just hope you choose to be a gastro pub, not just an Oxfod St. tourist joint as you seem to like to be.

• marmot1972 marmot1972

Well you are in Barcelona now... and trust me that was not the case, it was clear they were leaving the place (bags and coats on) and even I had seen they have paid.

As for the food, none of the plates in the menu that night were healthy, trust me. As explained it was a first time for trial, and sometimes you do not match with a place, is just one of this cases but is a pity as there is very little options in such a big city where you can dine out.

dagny70
dagny70

Yummy!

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

Shortly after arriving in Barcelona, and in desperate need of food, we visited CatBar for lunch and it was fab. The server was soooo nice and friendly and spoke great English, so I didn't have to attempt to use my poor Spanish! We had the set lunch (9.50 euro each) - cauliflower soup, potato tortilla with beans and rice sticks, lemon cake, and fruit juice. It was delicious, filling, and just what we needed after our early flight from the U.K. We did say we would return one night for the infamous burgers, but alas, we never did. Ah well, next time! One thing to remember though - when you are offered beans here, they actually mean baked beans in tomato sauce (very English!) and not, as I presumed, refried beans, kidney beans etc. That gave us a big smile :)

Pros: Delicious, Good value, Friendly staff
Cons: Only instant coffee
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

We do NOT have Instant coffee, its fresh grown and made in a French coffee press

vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

funky pub

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

A fun space for snacks, simple meals and drinks. I hade the yummy vegan burger and a fresh soup. A nice place to hang out.

Pros: inexpensive , nice hang out spot , large selection of beers
Cons: could have more nonalcoholic drink selection
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

we have 1 "0%"beer, 4-6 bottled juices, 4 Smoothies made from frozen whole fruits, 2 waters,
    plus Coke, Coke light, Fanta orange and lemon, Sprite and Tonic,
    that's 18 non-alcoholic drinks,plus 30+ bottled beers, 6 tap beers and 20 spirits and 2 colours of organic wine.

BarcelonaJoe
BarcelonaJoe
  • non-vegetarian

CatBar, one of five "yes, please!" vegan spots...

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

People who love cats this much are terrifying. Fortunately for CatBar, veganism, vegetarianism, massive piles of food, and craft beer are all very much de moda in Barcelona, and this is how they lure us in... The food has come along nicely since the beginning, and they've expanded their selection. Portions are generous and you probably can't handle a whole menú del día (10.50 euro). The hummus is mmm, mmm good, served with their fresh baked bread (also featured as their hamburger buns). For more on CatBar and on a selection of other great Vegan/vegetarian resturants in Barcelona check out http://www.bcnmes.com/shortlist/catbar/

Pros: chill, affordable, quantity
lups85
lups85

great place, great food

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2012

:-D

Pros: good food, nice place, moderate prices
Caryne
Caryne

Brilliant vegan pub with great 'comfort' food

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

This place is now up in my list of favourite vegan places to eat in the world. No, it's not fine dining or health food but good, honest, vegan pub grub at a brilliant price. For 10.50 euros (cheaper weekday daytime) we got a bowl of delicious courgette soup and lovely herby bread, a huge veggie burger, a pile of chips and mushrooms and a wonderful chocolate rice pudding plus a large beer (we could have also chosen from water, soft drink, wine or juice). We were also told we could have another beer if we wanted. The service was really friendly and helpful, the menu is in English and the background music is great. Do not go here if you want fancy food or 'health food' but if you want a filling vegan meal at a great price then this is a must. Do note though that they do not open until 2pm on Sundays, we got there just after 1pm and had to sit in the square around the corner to wait.

Pros: All vegan, Really cheap, Friendly staff
Cons: It's not in the UK!!
JoellaPrice
JoellaPrice

fun place

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2012

The pub quiz on a wednesday night is fun (althought it takes sooooo long to finish) the staff are really really friendly!
The style of the menu is really cool and theres is a nice amount of options, although i chose the 3 course "special" menu and the food was not very tasty and patatas bravas were very salty. I would give the food the benefit of the doubt and possibly go again to try something different on the menu :)

Pros: very friendly staff, fun atmosphere, wide choice of beers
Cons: non tasty food
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

The Quiz finishes before 23:45 every week so that everyone can catch the last metro home, it starts sometime after 9pm...

piratechick
piratechick

Great Burgers and Beer at Cat Bar

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2012

Spent a lovely evening with friends at Cat Bar. Ordered the hamburger (that you can dress yourself using mustard, ketchup and/or vegan mayonnaise from a basket you get from the waitress; green salad with peppers on the side), patatas bravas (that are my favourite side dish ever now), and beer. Sat in the gallery where it's very cozy. I wish I had a vegan place like this at home!

Pros: great food, nice style, huge beer selection
acadiechick
acadiechick

Yum Yum!

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

We had the veggie burger with patatas bravas and salad for lunch and it was really delish!

Pros: great food, hip atmosphere
KateE
KateE

Great Pub Grub

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

Great Vegan Pub food. Last night we had pie, peas and "proper" chips. the food is good value and excellent quality. There is a wonderful atmosphere, and the beer is well kept. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the host genial.

Pros: Excellent Pub Grub, Great Beer, Good Value
Nihacc
Nihacc

Excellent vegan food!

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

We had the 'menu of the day' for lunch (9.5 euros; at dinner 10.5 euros): everything was tasty, healthy and very filling. And I think prices are ok. We loved veggie sausages and lemon pie, the very best ever! I want to come back and try veggie burger. This place has become one of my two favourites in Barcelona (the other one is Gopal).

Pros: Food quality (& quantity!)), Friendly staff, Lovely place
animalgazuk
animalgazuk

Superb place with friendly host

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2012

Had the daily special yesterday. Absolutely amazing food and value for 10.50 for 3 courses plus a beer - the chocolate cake to finish was lovely. Roy the host can advise on best beers and there was a lovely fresh kegged beer on that tasted like real ale. All excellent value and no worries for a vegan as everything checked out beforehand. We will be back several times this week on holiday. The quiz and live music look worth trying this week too.

Pros: Superb food, Superb beer, Lovely staff
Cons: None at all
Happyheffer
Happyheffer

Catbar

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

A simple Vegan cafe, close to the metro station.

Overall, average food and service.

AEast10025
AEast10025

Good Find

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2011

Fast food vegan restaurant. We ordered hamburgers and sausage and both came with 2 side dishes. Food tasted fresh. Service was quick and English-friendly. Location was central and easy to find. Prices were affordable. Atmosphere was casual. One of few places to carry a variety of Brew Dog beer from Scotland.

SpecialFXLady
SpecialFXLady

Excellent atmosphere, food, and spirits!

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2011

We found Cat Bar on happycow and wound up going there three times and we were only in Barcelona a total of 5 days.

There's something to be said for the atmosphere. It's basically a really down-to-earth vegan punk rock bar which plays diverse types of music. The first night we came in the staff made us feel like family. Both owners were working 2 of the three nights we went in.

The food was awesome, the drinks superb, and the music was awesome. The played a variety of music and you were able to sit and have a conversation with your mates while enjoying the decor.

We're 10+ year vegetarians and cat fans so we left wondering why there isn't a bar like this in Portland.

Thank you Cat Bar! We will definitely visit again the next time we're in BCN.

Pros: Food, Staff/Ambiance, Beer/wine selection
KatherineHughes
KatherineHughes

Great!

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2011

A few (non-veggie) friends had mentioned how difficult they found eating in Barcelona as opening times of restaurants can be awkward and the menus were hard to decipher or expensive for set meals and so I decided to research veg-friendly places before we left.
I took my meat eating mum here 2 hours after our plane landed as we were tired and hungry and we knew it would be open at 4pm and being only a few meters from the Catedral it was easy to get to.
I had burger with homemade bread, beans and homemade chips and my mum had the same but with sausages ,and two diet Cokes for less than 15 euros! Amazing value for the huge portions and the chips were to die for! We liked it so much we went back.

One of the owners was working both times we visited and after the first time she gave us a map and circled lots of vegetarian and sight-seeing places she recommended which I thought was lovely and above & beyond what was expected of her. I wish I knew her name to mention because she was so nice.

I would 100% recommend CatBar, it's not gourmet health or raw food but you can guarantee huge portions of comfort vegan food for decent prices.

The menu was limited (burgers/sausage/breakfast/hummus/soup/cakes is all I can remember) but I'm sure everyone would eat something from it!

Pros: cheap - great value!, huge portions of great good, friendly staff
Cons: limited menu , music was loud but turned down
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

the menu has expanded, even with healthy options

Blueberries
Blueberries

Delicious UK/Irish-style bar food

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

I went to Catbar (finally, after living in BCN for 10 months!) with three friends, two vegetarians and one non-vegetarian and everyone was impressed. Cheap tasty food, large portions, friendly service, large selection of beer, casual atmosphere, chocolate cake, what's not to like!
I had a delicious all-day breakfast (€5), which was sausages, baked beans, bread, roasted mushrooms and tomatoes and a berry smoothie, which is nice to be able to get in a pub. I tried some of the burger, chips and houmous my friend had, which were also pretty good. Is definitely recommended for cheap, tasty vegan food :D

Pros: Cheap, tasty, all-vegan food, Central location, Good selection of beer and smoothies
Cons: Small menu
kilgore
kilgore

Cheap, cheerful, great vegan food

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2011

We visited Cat Bar with two vegan friends and were very impressed. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the seating area, though quite small, was not cramped.

There is a wide choice of food and, though a couple of us were tempted by the all-day vegan breakfast, all four of us ended up with virtually the same meal. We all had home-made houmus with their home-made bread, which was amazing, followed by burger, chips and beans (or salad). The burger was very tasty and the portion of chunky chips was enormous and delicious.

Cat Bar is only a 2-minute walk from Metro Jaume. On our next visit we will be making the effort to visit more than once !

Pros: Cheap, Friendly, Massive portions
hippublican
hippublican

Pretty good

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2011

My husband and I spent a lot of time at CatBar while we were in Barcelona, just enjoying the drinks, food, and atmosphere.
We found the prices to be good, though the food was really pretty forgettable. We encountered 2 different bartenders during our visits, and neither were particularly friendly. One even bordered on rude, snatching a ketchup bottle off my table without asking if I was finished. Maybe they were flustered from being too busy.
The music here was a pleasant surprise... we really liked everything we heard. The wireless is a great bonus as well.

Pros: great location, good drinks, free wifi
Cons: not the best service
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

All unfriendly and rude staff have been taken outside and shot, in a vegan friendly way of course.

Jessica Bradley
Jessica Bradley

Cat Bar = Love

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2011

While staying in Barcelona for 2 months, my boyfriend and I found this gem located very close to our apartment and decided to go in for some beer and food. After that wonderful first night we returned to Cat Bar probably about 5 times a week, sometimes just for lunch, other times for a late dinner (to be followed with a great deal of drinks). Not only do they have a fully vegan menu, but an amazingly friendly staff! It was the only place I was able to order a soy milk latte or soy milkshake! They always have new food on the menu, my favorite has been the pizza! Vegan cheese and sausage...mmmm! They also started serving BrewDog beer, which is now my favorite beer ever. If you are in Barcelona, you must, must go here!

Pros: All Vegan, Soy Latte, Friendly Staff
processurself
processurself

casual all-vegan cool bar

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

It's a good atmosphere inside of Cat Bar, and I was happy to see an all-vegan restaurant in Spain. The hummus with bread as starter was sooo good, the main meal, however, was ok. Salad (a few pieces of lettuce and one piece of tomato), very very oily potatoes and bugers on home-made bread. Bread was very heavy for a burger bun and the burgers were home-made as well, I suspect, for they were falling apart. The woman who worked there when we ate, was doing everything alone. I was dissapointed to hear that she wasn't vegan, she actually ate fish. It's nice when a restaurant like that has staff that live according to the ideals, but I guess that's a bit much to ask. Dessert was delicious and the price is very low. Also great choice in beers!

Pros: all-vegan, alternative, low price
Cons: food quality ok
dcrosthwait
dcrosthwait

Favorite Barcelona Hangout

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2011

FANTASTIC spot in the Born neighborhood. Roy and Geraldine are so kind and very happy to sit and chat for a minute if you're new.

Great, basic food. Good beer selection. Comfortable atmosphere. Overall, it's just a wonderful place to hang out. I'll definitely become a regular throughout the rest of my time in Spain.

Pros: All vegan, Good beer selection, Friendly staff
Cons: I want to be there all the time...
A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.

Support this place!

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2010

Firstly, bring a map unless you know the center extremely well, because even though it has a proximity towards La Rambla, no one has ever heard of Boria Street and it is really a small place on a small street and can be difficult to find.

This is a small bar with big character. The owner/bartender (who's name i have forgotten in my dotage) was an extremely nice guy who told me of how he wanted to open a bar but as a vegetarian he decided the bar should be vegetarian as well, and took a clear risk. The food is bar food best served with Tabasco. I personally tried the chicken nuggets with fried mushrooms and beans,it was good but not wonderful or extravagant, a vegan version of a pub classic. The prices were decent enough 2 euros for a beer and 5 for the meal which was a good portion.

Sadly the place was half empty. I was told that it was just an off night but it would be a shame to see this place not make it. It is 100% vegan with the exception of the milk they put in coffee and I think it is a fun place and a worthwhile establishment to get a meal and beer at. Cheers! Salud!

Pros: good atmosphere & Music, Vegan bar food, nice staff
Cons: Hard to find, Decent flavors and content

It is 100% vegan, no milk, all the Beers/wines are vegan too

rdickson
rdickson

The Cat's Meow

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2010

I was studying in Barcelona for three months at the beginning of 2010 and luckily happened across CatBar in my first week there.

CatBar has spunk.

From the very beginning the staff were open and friendly and very fun to talk to and I found myself spending a lot of time there throughout my stay. Having free WiFi was a bonus for when I needed to finish some homework.

During my three months I was happy to see the menu expand from delicious cakes and vegan burgers to include even more great tasting options such as the veggie curry and fruit shakes. Best cafe con leches and mojitos I enjoyed in three months - and at very good prices.

There are always fun events happening on the weekends and the crowd attracted into CatBar always includes interesting people to talk with.

If you're heading to Barcelona you have to check out CatBar to enjoy a night out among locals and tourists alike, or quell your hunger with delicious home-cooked food.

My only regret is not spending MORE time there while I had the chance.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Delicious Food, Funky Atmosphere
Cons: Not open on Sundays

now open on Sundays 2pm to 9pm

laceygean
laceygean

Perfect Burger with Beans

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2010

On my last night in Barcelona I went to this place alone to get a burger. I was greeted by Geraldine (the bartender and co-owner) who speaks English fluently. She handed me a menu and I quickly chose a vegan burger on a home-made bun, french fries and baked beans, with a big (well made) Sangria. The menu isn't real big (burger with fries and beans, or just fries, or a salad, or all that minus the burger but sub a vegan sausage) but this didnt deter me at all. The atmosphere is welcoming and I quickly started chatting with the guy next to me. Burger was perfect. Just what I wanted. After a bit the cook and other co-owner came out and greeted me (he's English I believe, at least thats what I got from his accent) and gave me a little slice of vegan chocolate cake on the house.
Would recommend this place to anyone looking for a good meal and friendly people to chat with.

Pros: friendly , fast service, great food
Cons: smoking
  • CatBarCat CatBarCat

The CatBar and every other non-secret bar in Barcelona is now non-smoking.

Dear Owner and Manager of CatBar:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Barcelona page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/10/30