Veggie food restaurant. Try the grilled tofu sandwich. Also a music venue and a coffee bar, usually open until 12 midnight. Kitchen closes around 8pm. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine
4873 St Laurent
Montreal, Quebec
514-284-3804

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by tragedia
JonJon
JonJon

Nothing special but ok for lunch

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

I went there once for lunch and had a vegan sandwich and a soup at a fair price. The soup was really good but the sandwich had nothing special. The place is relatively pleasant and staff was friendly (however, one waitress wore a fur vest, which was really shocking in a vegetarian restaurant).

Pros: good soups, not expensive, pleasant place
Cons: few vegan choices, relatively basic
heywood100
heywood100

Good atmosphere, decent food

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

This place had a good, pub-like atmosphere, which is to be expected really as it was also a music venue, and rustled us up a pretty accomplished burrito to go with our pints. I guess it was a little on the dark side for eating, but you can't expect much else if you roll up to a bar at 8pm, so I'll let them off.

My one complaint is that everybody wears their damn hats indoors. I'm starting to sound like an old man in some of these reviews, but come on people, if you're eating, take the wooly hat off for ten minutes...

Carrot_Stick
Carrot_Stick

Okay

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

More like a pub than a cafe or restaurant. They have sandwiches and perhaps a single table d'hote, but not an elaborate one. It is more vegetarian than vegan.

If you're in the area and are hungry stop there for lunch. I would not recommend it for dinner.

beeherrington
beeherrington

Chill lunch

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2010

Went here for a late lunch mid-afternoon with my boyfriend a few months back. We shared the soup and sandwich combo which is about under 10$. Fantastic lentil soup, and some tofu sandwich which has very fresh rye bread. Beer was good about 4$ a pint for Cheval Blanc. Service is almost non-existent, but it's very nice just the same.

Pros: Great Food, Nice Decor, Price
Cons: Service
bete_noire
bete_noire

lovely casa

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2008

i love casa del popolo as a music venue, for their patio in the summer and the delicious affordable sandwiches and drinks, including alcohol. they also expanded their menu a lot since their alcohol permit got revoked (or maybe they never had it in the first place), but i only tried the burritos so far off the new menu(delicious!). the service however, is mostly bad. there is one waitress that is quite decent, but it's happened on more than one occassion that i was just standing there with friends waiting to order while the staff happily chatted amongst themselves. moreover, it takes them on average 15-20 min. to make a sandwich when the place is not busy and last time i went with my boyfriend the girl that served us forgot to take the money upfront so i went to pay at the end of our meal, waited a really long time at the counter and the waitress (another girl, our waitress had disappeared meanwhile) was rude enough to make faces at me when i confirmed for the 2nd time i only ordered one beer (she figured we must've ordered 2 since we were two people eating). i'll definitely be back because the food is delicious and affordable and after going there for 3 years on a regular basis i'm expecting the mediocre service to be the norm. once in a while, i do get pleasently surprised though.

Pros: food, price, patio
Cons: service, occassional noise show sound-check
philjdomm
philjdomm

ol saloon

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2008

surprinsingly this old saloon dive is like l'escalier but more run down. they offer nite live music.
this place is more angliphone surprisingly for plateau but it is mileend area and not sure if mile end is francophones.
ordered a todu quiante and very spicy!

raphalla
raphalla

Good Food, Service So So

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2008

We went there during lunch and the worker was vacuuming the stage. It was a bit noisy then. We ordered tofu sandwiches and borruto, which both tasted good but took more than 35 minutes to get to our table.
The service was almost none and the waiter/waitress didn't bother us much too.

Pros: Food, Price
Cons: Service, Ambient
towststutters
towststutters

yeah

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2007

the food is awesome, the bands that play are good, but there is one waitress i cannot stand. she is consistently rude and slow about getting anything done. she once made sure to let us know "tip is not included", she only thing she deemed worthy enough to say in english. even she can't mess up the food though, which is always really great.

tragedia
tragedia

Nothing special

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2007

If I enjoyed anything when I visited Casa del Popolo, it was the cozy sitting area--and that's it. I tried the grilled tofu sandwich, and it was nothing special, though it did satisfy my hunger.

Cons: Nothing special

Dear Owner and Manager of Casa del Popolo: