Serves meat, veg options available. A local family-owned restaurant specializing in hand-made tamales. No lard used in the making of all products including the rice and beans. Offers vegan and vegetarian tamales. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Mexican, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

jennamichelle1
jennamichelle1

Gem for Vegans

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

The vegan tamales here are so tasty, and I love that they have a nice variety. We loves them so much that my mom orders their tamales for family Christmas. The staff is knowledgable about what is vegan and what isn't. We can have the beans, and they make a great salsa/guacamole.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday February 18, 2014

Pros: Knowledgable Staff, Great food, Good Options
Chia
Chia

Vegan tamales

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to eat here enroute to San Francisco a while back. Here's my Casa de Tamales review.

It's a simple little restaurant located in a large shopping plaza that also houses a Food Co and an Old Navy store. Plenty of parking in front. You order at the counter, and the food is brought to your table. There is also a little window into the kitchen where you can watch the owners make tamales by hand.

The menu did not denote which items were vegan, so we had to ask. Fortunately, the young woman working at the counter was knowledgeable and told us which ones were vegan: cinnamon raisin, sweet corn, soy chorizo, and portabello mushroom & asparagus. I wanted the soy chorizo, but they did not have it that day. So I got the mushroom & asparagus and the sweet corn tamale.

The mushroom & asparagus came with a side of salsa-guacamole. It's flavorful though a bit salty for my personal liking.

The sweet corn tamale, however, was so yummy! I so enjoyed the sweetness and the soft texture of the masa. It was served with a slightly spicy green chile sauce--a perfect combo. I wish I could have taken some more with me.

Casa de Tamales seemed like a popular place with the locals who enjoy their tamales. There were many customers there when I was there.

Pros: get the vegan sweet corn tamale
aubs
aubs

yummy yummy yummy

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2013

This small family owned and run restaurant is so good. I get the jalapeno and cheese tamales with green sauce, beans and rice. (Which have no lard) Great service. You can order al la carte as well. Super good!

Pros: fresh food, vegan and vegetarian friendly, family owned

CalebWalker
CalebWalker

good vegan options

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2012

Very tasty. They make some better tamales for the farmers market which are rarely available otherwise. I'd come here much more often if they had

KathyMcCrary
KathyMcCrary

WOW - Vegan Tamales

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2012

My husband and I were in Fresno for 2 days and this place had fresh tamales with so much flavor! Their unique combinations for the 3 vegan choices were creative and as I said, exquisitely tasty. We tried all 3 - portobello & asparagus, savory sweet corn and soy chorizo con papas. OMG - we could not believe how great they were! I will be ordering frozen tamales from this restaurant to send to my mother in Atlanta - yes, they ship anywhere in the US except Oregon. What a find!

Pros: Flavors, Atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Not all veg
lstorey2
lstorey2

Vegan Tamales

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

The Tamales are great, if you catch them at the Vineyard Farmers Market the special Veggie Tamale never disappoints and the sweet corn is very good also. I've had tamales both from the farmers market and the store, never disappointed. They are a little pricey but worth it.

Pros: great quality, healthy
Cons: cost
AudraNicholson
AudraNicholson

Yummy!!

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

The food is super delicious. The restaurant is really clean. The service is great. Really friendly staff. Love that they have veg options, the staff understands what vegan is and is very helpful. Would give it all 5 stars except that it isn't all veg.

Pros: Great food, Clean, Friendly
Cons: Not all veg
Sincal24
Sincal24

New favorite!!!!!

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2012

We love the tamales, beans rice all food is great very nice people. Also wed fri and sat they do farmers market and make a farmers market tamale that is veg and is great

Pros: Great food , Great service , Clean
x-tine
x-tine

Highly recommend!!

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2011

The tamales were superb!!! There were 3 different "veganizable" versions to choose from, all exceptionally good. And, they were fab in their own right, and not just because they were vegan! The service was superb, too. We felt welcomed as vegans; and the manager was a really nice guy, and totally hip to what vegan means. Instead of lard, they use canola oil. Spanish rice, pinto beans, many sauces are vegan too. You can even order online and have them shipped to you via UPS if you don't live in Fresno!!! If you dine in the restaurant, be sure to allow at least a half hour, since tamales are time consuming and they make them fresh. It's best to call in your order ahead of time if you expect to be served right away.

Gail Gibson
Gail Gibson

Amazing!

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2011

This place is a little jewel in Fresno! Several veg filling choices, as well as vegan masa, rice and beans. Everything delicious and bursting with flavor. Exceptionally attentive customer service. Give them a try!

Pros: Excellent food with a gourmet touch, Great, friendly service, great prices
angiec804
angiec804

So yummy!

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

Casa de Tamale was awesome! They knew what vegan was and had plenty of options. The tamales were wonderful and so fresh! We really loved our meal there and the service was wonderful. Everyone was so very nice! Would highly recommend to vegans and their non-veg friends as well.

Pros: Vegan options, Great service

Dear Owner and Manager of Casa de Tamales: