Serves meat, veg options available. A tropical cafe featuring traditionally-inspired dishes made with local ingredients as well as products from around the globe. Vegan and vegetarian-friendly selections include the Carmo salad: rice, vegan smoked ham, raisins, avocado, cashews, almonds, pineapple, cucumbers, and scallions covered with citrus mango vinaigrette. Full alcohol license. Located between Magazine St and Camp St. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, International, Latin American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
527 Julia St

pears_a_roni
pears_a_roni

Vegetarian Gem in NOLA

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2014

This place really delivered. New Orleans can sometimes be tough for a vegetarian, but this place was such a welcome surprise. Their vegan gumbo was spicy and delicious, and the Esmeralda salad was an interesting mix of flavors. Will definitely come back during future visits to NO!

sglcklch
sglcklch

It was alright

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2014

Came here for lunch solo. The space is much bigger than I thought and has a chill vibe, which is cool. I ordered the daily plate vegan style — feijoada (Brazilian sausage-black bean stew on rice) — even though it seemed kind of spendy at $12. I was just curious to try this national dish.

It came out pretty much exactly as described on the menu: black beans with vegan sausage pieces served on rice with a little stewed greens, salsa, and two small orange slices on the side. The most interesting thing for me was the sprinkle of farofa on top, which, I looked up later, was a toasted flour mixture made from yucca. The whole dish was tasty but too simple and stingy for what it was. Nothing on that plate justified the price. Not even if the ingredients were organic. Last time I checked, beans and rice were still dirt cheap. Oh, and the rice wasn't even brown rice, just plain white.

Aside from that daily special, the rest of the menu is actually also very vegan-friendly, which doesn't come by easy in New Orleans. For this I commend them.

Pros: decent food, vegan options
Cons: overpriced
HollyWanders
HollyWanders

delicious!

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

This place offers vegan options for almost everything on the menu. I had what they called banquette bread which was essentially a super thin crispy crust pizza. It was made with Daiya cheese, vegetable and their own made meat substitute which was wicked good. I would happily eat it many more times. They also had about 4 desserts all of which were vegan- I had a vegan creme brûlée there which was crazy good and got a piece of Apple coffee cake to go was also crazy good! Delicious food, great staff.

Pros: amazing food, friendly, helpful staff, fairly inexpensive

tonyakay
tonyakay
  • raw

delicious, heavy vegan options

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2014

Thank goodness for Carmo, serving a handful of vegan options on their Caribbean menu. The fermented tea leaf salad was a hit with our group! I'm a long term raw vegan visiting New Orleans regularly from Los Angeles, so the vegan options are still prepared heavyily in comparison. Though all delicious. That's the south, right?

spinsterfarm
spinsterfarm

Tropical kitchen

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2014

We had the "rico" vegan sandwich -- with fried plantain instead of bread. It was yummy, well-seasoned and fresh. The sauces and dressings are very good. The vegan gumbo z'herbes was hearty and satisfying.

They offer a selection of beers, sodas, wines, etc.

Pros: Spacious, casual restaurant , Fresh ingredients, imaginatively made, Offers vegan options for most dishes
Cons: Service is a bit slow.
JeffGrippe
JeffGrippe

Outstanding Veg Food

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

How good was this place? Well I'm pissed that I won't be able to give it 5 stars (they serve meat and happycow doesn't allow meat serving places to be given 5 stars).

This place deserves all five of them, however. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The food was so good that we've already made reservations to go back.

This is one of the places not to miss if you are veg and coming to NOLA.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 01, 2013

It is now 2014 and we've been back two more times. It seems to get better each time. The food was outstanding and the service was attentive and friendly.

We are also planning to check out their booth at Jazz Fest. It will be great to get some real veg food inside of the Fest.

Go to Carmo and you will enjoy your meal.

Pros: Food, Staff
Cons: Can't think of any
vegbaker
vegbaker

Wonderful!

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

I absolutely LOVE Carmo! I highly recommend checking them out. Fun and interesting vegan options in a fun setting.

Pros: friendly staff, great food, interesting, yummy cocktails
Linni Lu
Linni Lu

Highly Recommend

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2014

This place rocks! Atmosphere is charming and comfortably casual with the friendliest staff. Old school family owned service for sure. The food is fantastic! Salads are packed with various unique combinations including mango, avocado and much more all very satiating. The juices were a complete surprise! They offer several freshly made juices from exotic fruit this tropical "born on equator girl" had never heard of. The one I ordered tasted like ACAI berry but it had another name. I'm loving that the world is finally catching up with this vegetarian...yummy

Pros: Salads, Juice, friendly staff
ochokitty
ochokitty

fresh & unique, gf options

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

Highly recommend trying this place, the salads are hearty & filling, the soup was excellent. They have sandwiches & lots of vegan entrees. Cute funky atmosphere & helpful staff.

Pros: healthy, gluten free options, juice and delicious cocktails
veganlane
veganlane

Great Vegan Food!

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

My husband and I stopped in Carmo for lunch on a weekday. It was busy, but the staff was quick and very friendly. My husband had the soup special and it was quite good. We both had the Rico for our entree, and we both really enjoyed it. The food tasted great and we left feeling completely satisfied.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious food
saveur
saveur

great vegan eats

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

Got to love vegan-friendly restos that are highly rated by omnis, too. Plenty of positive reviews on yelp and here are accurate. Tasty vegan eats. Had the Rico breadless open sandwich and it was delicious without being too spicy. The special of the day was calabacitas with mock chicken. Servings felt small because it was so good and I gobbled it down. Loved their selection of juices. Had a blend that was fantastic. Highly recommended.

Pros: flavorful
Cons: small portions
JosephSauce
JosephSauce

Love Carmo

Posted on 05 / 25 / 2013

Whats not to Love, Cashew Fruit Drink, Amazing(and Beautiful) Entrees, friendly owner, outside seating so I could bring my Dog too :]. Carmo, I love you. The Food....Yes. Oh and BTW, Their Handmade Brazilian Hot sauce has 5+ Brazilian peppers; IMO - Best Hot sauce ever; I tried to run off with it.

Pros: Bomb, So Fresh and So Clean, I feel Healthier(hard to do)
Cons: $$(worth it), I Want More
alxsrbraun
alxsrbraun

Gets busy, but food is good!

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

Small cafe in the warehouse district which has a lot of vegan options (many options can be veganized). I had the vegan rico, which wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be, but it was delicious!

Pros: Several options/vegan special, Location, Good food
Cons: Gets busy!, Not the fastest service
  • cafecarmo cafecarmo

Hi alxsrbraun, as we haven gotten much busier lately, we are in the process of upgrading our kitchen and expanding our staff. We hope you'll come back soon!

riseing
riseing

Loved Carmos

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

In a city with few healthy, vegan options, this restaurant is a treat for vegans. Soup du Jour on two days that we went was vegetable couscous -flavours were delicious. Vegan broken noodle salad was delicious. Zucchinni bread vegan and yummy. A relatively short walk from the French Quarter.

Pros: vegan choices, nice atmosphere, healthy and clean
steveveg
steveveg

A favorite of vegans in NO

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

I heard from the owner that a large portion of the clientele are vegans or vegetarians. That is understandable as there are always good vegan choices. The food was delicious. They smoke their own mock meats.

Pros: vegan friendly, many choices
zombellayaya
zombellayaya

FINALLY! An INSPIRED VEGAN FRIENDLY place!

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

We were (and still are) thrilled to find a vegan friendly place in New Orleans that serves truly inspired dishes. Just because we're vegan, doesn't mean we have no taste buds! We're New Orleaneans at that, so we MUST have FLAVOR! It's in our DNA.
I dunno how he does it, but the owner/chef served us a devine smoky planain sandwich that just blew us away. We also had a wonderful, vegan gumbo that I have yet to duplicate in my own kitchen.
My only gripe about this gem of a restaurant, is that it is very small and the menu is rather limited. But hey, quality over quantity, right? While I do wish it was a bit more comfortable in the dining area,.. for THAT food...I'd perch atop a lamp post on one leg while holding my plate to eat that sandwich again.

Pros: DELICIOUS, VEGAN FRIENDLY, INSPIRED CHEF
Cons: small place, limited menu
phinxae
phinxae

Bravo, Carmo!

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2012

Don't have much to add, but wanted to echo the other reviewers who said this is a gem! If you are in NO for a conference, this place is definitely a golden lunch spot. It was a travesty I didn't discover it 'til the fourth day...
Not cheap, but very quality. The juices are absolutely delicious, and the food creative and crave-worthy.

It took a long time to get our food, but there was quite a lunch rush because of the conference, so I can't complain. Have a fruit juice and check out the paintings on the wall as you wait.

Pros: charming seating area, the fruit juices!, many vegan items
Cons: not quick
veganamanda
veganamanda

creative vegan food

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2012

This restaurant had some cool options on the menu, and the waiters knew what vegan meant. I also had the Rico sandwich. It was pretty good.

Pros: creative meals
VeganET
VeganET

Best vegan food in NOLA

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

WOW! We felt like we hit the jackpot when we found this place. My boyfriend and I both had the vegan special (which changes daily) and it was some of the best food I've ever had. They also had 3 vegan desserts and we thought we died and went to heaven. The atmosphere is what I would call a "sophisticated cozy". The staff is very friendly and eager to please. I loved everything about this place.

Pros: Atmosphere, Friendly Staff, Healthy
Cons: Limited seating
Alby
Alby

Vegan hidden gem in NO!

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2012

I was in NO for a conference just last week and as usual I
was not expecting to find anything vegan in a city with
seafood restaurants in every block. To my surprise,
I found a few hidden vegan gems!
With a unique style deco, Carmo's menu reflected such character. It included various unique vegan dishes and exotic drinks.
I tried the Vegan Rico sandwich made out of a grilled plantain, vegan cheese, avocado, and topped off with the in-house made "rico" tangy sauce. It was delicious, the sauce and the avocado was a unique but delightful combination. I paired it with two glasses of Caja juice, a mango like flavor yet distinct, an excellent drink.

While enjoying my dish, I met a vegan couple from NY, Kate & Reuben who also tried the Rico sandwich. We had a nice chat about Carmo's menu and vegan stuff. They are very knowledgeable about veganism.

I'll definitely keep this restaurant on my list next time I visit NO.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice service, Know what vegan is
Cons: none yet
serenity67
serenity67

good food

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2012

Good food and the servers know what vegan is and are educated on the subject. ( some people in NO are not) good food but nothing to scream about. Quick service and very interesting seating area

Pros: interesting place, nice people, unique
Cons: ok juices
TerriPettit
TerriPettit

Nice place

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

Was worried about finding vegan food in a meat lovers paradise and was so happy to find this spot & it was close to where I was staying in the CBD. The food is super fresh and you have to try an exotic fruit drink or better yet have a cocktail made with one of their exotic juices- they were delicious too!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff
Cons: Not open 7 days
Goddess_517
Goddess_517

Eclectic and Yummy!

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

What a departure from the grease-ladened, breaded, fried beyond recognition kind of place you generally find in The Big Easy. I loved Carmo. The atmosphere is charming and eclectic, the staff friendly and helpful AND they have really delightful vegan food. I had the vegan-ized "Rico". Grilled plantain patty smothered in a mock pulled pork, salsa, cheese, spices and what I would consider the prime ingredient, love, this was so good I wanted to lick the plate of any last remnant! I look forward to going back before I leave and only wish I checked them out sooner so I could eaten there more often. Check out some of the galleries in the area. This is a nice reprieve from having to fight drunken tourists in the Quarter!

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Good portions, Friendly staff
BFonville
BFonville

go see the galleries and eat here

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2012

a "quick bite to eat" spot with fancy restaraunt quality. The pricing is somewhere inbetween tje two. Good fresh food and just about everything on the menu can be made vegan.

Pros: fresh, vegan, booze
Cons: pricey
dladkins
dladkins

Great food and friendly staff.

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

My husband and i are pescatarians with strong vegan leanings. When we were visiting NO in early Feb, we had a difficult time finding vegan and vegetarian food options that was not deep-fired, until Happy Cow pointed us to Carmo. We thoroughly enjoyed the Guo Tie and Acaraje. Both dishes have fish, but the menu says it can be made vegan or vegetarian. Please, check them out if you are near the art district, museum or convention center.

houndmom
houndmom

AWESOME!!

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2012

located just 2 quick blocks from my hotel, the concierge found this for me (did not come up at HappyCow under a vegan/vegetarian only filter search). Do not miss this place when in New Orleans. Warm and inviting space, friendly and helpful staff and VERY accommodating with special requests. Vegan options. The Rico was incredible. great balance of flavors, color and textures. A feast for both the eyes and palate. Will gladly go to again.

Pros: Fabulous flavor, Unique dishes, friendly!!
Cons: not exclusively veg
monicalsmith1
monicalsmith1

Great food, great prices

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2012

We got the vegan rico and the veggie special of the day, the creole bread pudding with veggie sausage. Both were amazing and very filling. They also both came with a side salad. The chef even came out to check with us on a few ingredients.

Pros: Unique choices, Good prices, Friendly staff
Cons: Crowded dining area
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

fresh and delicious

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2011

While in New Orleans for a long weekend, we checked out Carmo for lunch. I ordered the vegan Rico while Dirk and our friend ordered sandwiches. The Rico was excellent and so tasty! The sandwiches were good, but nothing special. Dirk ordered a bowl of coconut bean soup as he was still hungry and it was fantastic. The banana bread was also a hit with the guys. Everything was fresh and delicious and the service was friendly.

Pros: vegan options clearly marked, friendly staff
Cons: non-vegan restaurant
BBandT
BBandT

Great vegan sandwich & dessert

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2011

We chose Carmo to provide box lunches for a company event because there was one vegan in the group (me!). The menu made everyone happy, the quality was excellent, and my vegan meal, including dessert, was delicious.

krock
krock

Wonderful Experience!

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2011

I went to carmo twice in one week.

I had the vegan Rico (meat option also available) with perfect avocado strips on a fried plantain with smoked tofu strips and a sweet sour sauce :) AWESOME

I also tried the vegan ham sandwich. Although just a sandwich it was fresh and filling.

The banana bread is to die for, so moist and a nice big slice :)

The place is small but cute and has a wonderful relaxed vibe.

The staff and owner were all lovely, very helpful and provided great service.

Highly recommend this gorgeous place :)

Pros: Great service, great food, great price

Dear Owner and Manager of Carmo:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the New Orleans page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/07/16