Caribreeze Vegetarian Cafe

Vegetarian cuisine. Changing menu features dishes with tofu, soy chunks, soy and wheat gluten veggiemeats, multi-grain porridge, soups, cakes, fresh coconut water, and natural beverages. Mostly take-out with a few tables for dine-in. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Caribbean, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by JohnnySensible
newnadine
newnadine

Delicious homemade vegan food!

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2013

I have only been vegan for a little over two months and have already found several wonderful restaurants through Happy Cow. The first ones I found were while traveling but, happily, Caribreeze is right in my own backyard! I stopped by for the first time last night on the way home from work and got two large takeout containers, a soy patty, and a vegetable patty, and a slice of zucchini cake. The menu changes daily and you choose your size container and you can get a little bit of everything if you like. I decided to try a little of everything (BBQ tofu, roasted chicken, curry lentils, spinach and bok choy, curried goat, lima beans, spicy jerk, dumplings, ziti and eggplant, black beans and peas....quite a variety, and I may be missing some too, and all vegan!!!). Dave, who I believe is the owner (I asked his name and if he was the cook and he said no but did not tell me that he was the owner...but the website says the owner is Dave King so I assume that is who helped me) was wonderful and labeled everything on the cover of the container so I would know what I was eating! Everything was delicious and even my non-vegan family loved it. And two large containers ($10 each) and the two patties ($2 each) fed five of us! And the slice of zucchini cake (also delicious) was only $2.50 for a very generously sized slice. I will definitely be back, and often! Oh, and when I told Dave that I recently became vegan he recommended a cooking show (Christina Cooks) and several other vegetarian/vegan restaurants in the area.

Pros: All vegan, delicious and fresh...homemade, Friendly and very helpful owner, Lots of variety, large portions, good prices
UndrcvrRebel
UndrcvrRebel

• herbivore

A big gem in a small town

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2012

I've only recently come across caribreeze, and I am happy to have visited such a lovely kitchen. The family owning the cafe are as warm as their fresh patties. Speaking of the patties, I had to sample a few of the most popular Jamaican street food. I'm always on the run. What a delight they are D licious! I took a few to work to share with some of my die hard meat eating Jamaican brethren, and they placed an order for 10 patties to bring all the way to the Bronx. If you find yourself around spring valley, and you don't want unhealthy eats. Visit caribreeze!

Pros: Great healthful food, FriendlyFamily owned, Homeful atmosphere
Cons: Easy to miss, If you don't know, Where to look
Maurice
Maurice

• non-vegetarian

The best vegan food I ever had!

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

I stumbled across this place by mistake (but I know there are no coincidences) one day. Since I was trying to eat healthier I decided to try it. Note, that I have been to at least ten vegan places across the USA in this lifetime and fully enjoyed all except maybe one.. The minute I tried the beef stew (not beef of course) I was hooked! The cashew mac and cheese is awesome as well (the two together would make you slap your mother). But once you think you're done, then comes the Zucchini loaf, which is by far the best in the world! I frequent there often now and took a co-worker who fell in love at first bite. Even my 12 year old loves it!

it is not in the richest part of nj, and the neighbors may be a bit lower on the stratification system but they are friendly and harmless. Don't miss out on this place! You would be happy you tried!

Pros: daily variety, friendly service, best prices ever
Cons: small dining area, close at 7pm, parking
philorock
philorock

great food - worth the trip

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2010

loved the jerk satay - nicely spiced. soup of the day was delicious. not fancy and has 3 tables. you'll get your food in a take-out tin and soup in a container, but don't let that deter you. prices seemed pretty reasonable. park diagonally across the street in free parking lot.

Pros: friendly, nice choices, very nice carribean flavor
Cons: limited tables, plain ambience
Jennifunk
Jennifunk

Yum Ital

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2007

I sat in traffic for a while to get to this place before they closed. Had the ginger chicken, rice and peas, fried plantains, curry chickpeas, jerk chunks, bbq ribs and collards. Food is very tasty and huge portions for 8 bucks. Well worth the drive and will be back again!

Pros: great food, different menu each day, huge inexpensive portions
Cons: just wish it was closer
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

You will like Caribreeze!

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2007

No set menu. Simple vegan restaurant. Close to perfection. Chef is Tony Monroe. Each day Tony prepares soup, mixed grain porridge and 6 specials some Jamaican / some old "hippie" classics. Very varied / stimulating culinary masterpieces. Plenty of green vegetables - good, good brown rice & wholegrains. Give up cooking! Visit twice / thrice each day!

Pros: Great staff, Great food, Revitalizing
Guest
Guest

Yummmy I-Tal Foods

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2007

I have eaten here a few times. This place is awesome! And all vegan to boot! Huge Plates of Callaloo grown organic and local (callaloo is a type of greens), Rice and Peas (Beans), Lima Bean stew, and more! The food is very tasty and the is consciously prepared by the friendly staff. A large plate only costs $8 and it feeds two people. Look for the "ackee", a fruit that tastes like scrambled eggs!!! "I-Tal" food is a type of Vegan food prepared in Jamaica, especially by rastafarians, and is very yummy.

Pros: Delicious Food, Great Price, Big Portions, Friendly Staff
Cons: Very Simple Decor, No A/C

Dear Owner and Manager of Caribreeze Vegetarian Cafe: