Serves meat, veg options available. Caribbean / West Indian food with a vegetarian section on the menu. Curried vegetable, fried plantains, vegetable patties, and others. Vegans please inquire about options and inform HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Caribbean, Beer, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by cookiem
cookiem
cookiem

Vegan options? Sort of.

2 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2014

On a lazy Saturday afternoon, just before dinner, this restaurant was empty of all but 2 staffers and 1 patron, who seemed to be a friend of the proprietress. One might assume helpful, attentive service. Nope. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but, the staff were not very willing to answer my vegan concerns. Thus, because of that, unless you have patience, you may not be very pleased coming here at all.

I asked about this and that, but couldn't get past a "no, you can't eat here" approach. So, while they may have veggie patties, zucchini sticks, vegetable roti and other vegetable items (side dishes), they may or may not be vegan.

What I can say is vegan is the majority of the veggie dinner for $8.25 - pretty cheap! The dinner has rice and peas with coconut base, steamed cabbage with a couple carrot slices and broccoli pieces, some curried potatoes and a salad with what I was told was a coconut cream dressing (I didn't eat it- I didn't trust it). The food is simple but filling, and in this area of MD, it's welcomed. However, with MOM's down the road, I would suggest if you are vegan eating out of their refrigerated units rather than eat here.

The callaloo (braised/ stewed greens) were just a vat of oil/ margarine with mushy green things and onion pieces. I would've tried more, but it was like pulling teeth to find out what else was edible for the non-dairy consuming vegetarian.

If you go, please post more information! Seems like there's hope here, as they use coconut cream (in the rice!) and the cheap margarine (that's what they said - no butter or dairy)…. but, it's not 100% certain, still, what is/isn't vegan other than what I ordered after many questions.

Pros: Vegetarian friendly, Cheap, Filling and good prices!
Cons: Vegan items unclear

Dear Owner and Manager of Caribbean Delight II: