New York vegan restaurant serving organic food, cooked and raw, also raw desserts. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Kosher, American, International, Fusion, Raw, Take-out, Catering
405 E 6th St (Avenue A, East Village, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10009
212-254-1613

Mon-Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat 11:00am-12:00am, Sun 11:00am-11:00pm

First Review by bullcityveg
Melissa411
Melissa411

Raw and wonderful!

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2014

I got the entree sampler and it was really amazing! Very satisfying! I want to go again!! Soon!

SLC
SLC

Disappointed

2 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2014

Writing this review saddens me. I went there because I'm a huge NY HC fan and John Joseph of the Cro Mags loves this place so I had high hopes (sorry to bore you with my love for hardcore at this point). It was a cold and rainy day so I thought a lentil soup would be perfect. It was good but honestly something I throw together on a Tuesday night when I'm uninspired and have some leftover broth suitable veggies. But ok, the far bigger disappointment was the Applewood Smoked Tofu which strongly reminded me of back when I first started using tofu and desperately tried to get some taste in that stuff. It was two pieces of (excellent bread) with giant and very greasy slabs of tofu. Not great, sorry. Not fun to eat either. The salad was the highlight of the meal for me. I do want to add though that from overhearing the conversation of the server with the people next to me I fear I might have ordered the wrong thing and that other dishes are far better than that greasy uninspired mess.

Pros: great salad dressing
Cons: stay away from the Applewood Smoked Tofu, not as creative as expected

Amirakay
Amirakay

Great, but Could Be Better

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2014

I went here on Sunday Feb 2, 2014 for brunch. It wasn't too crowded and the atmosphere was quaint and comfy. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. I ordered their (vegan) Chai Latte as well as their (vegan) French Toast with in-house made Nutella. While both were delicious, for $25 (tip included), I wasn't thaaat impressed. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing because others in my group got the French Toast and felt the same way. Personally, the French Toast at V-Note on the UES is better and I've heard Blossom's is as well (although I have yet to try it).

The women who ordered different dishes seemed to enjoy them more. So if there is a next time, I'll know to order something else. I could smell other dishes cooking/what others were eating in the restaurant and they smelled delicious so maybe I just ordered the wrong thing.

SO I'm still giving them a four in hopes that it was just the dish I chose.

Pros: Not crowded, Friendly staff, Nutritious food
Cons: A little pricey, Not that impressed
aybea
aybea

My favorite restaurant in NYC!

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2014

I wish I could afford to go to Caravan of Dreams every day and for every meal. Although I'm not a raw vegan, I love how many raw options there are, and always take advantage of their raw dishes -- last time split the raw sampler platter with a friend, and had the raw quesadilla (so much food!) and a raw acai pie for dessert. Every single thing was brilliant, including the atmosphere -- a warm, wood-grain, candle-lit, hippie's basement, complete with live music and an in-house tarot card reader! Worth every penny, and I can't wait to go back!

Pros: JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING
Cons: Expensive
adc1984
adc1984

Great

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

A very diverse menu and all great tasting. Very casual and relaxed environment, nice way to unwind.

Pros: variety, casual
JonJon
JonJon

Nice place!

5 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

Caravan of dreams is a good name for this vegan restaurant offering a very good vegan food. From main course to dessert, I enjoyed a lot my lunch (a stir fry and an mango-coco pie). Staff was friendly and the place has a really pleasant atmosphere. It could be a little bit crowded so you should reserve to be sure to have a seat.

Pros: excellent food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: may be crowded
Poundie
Poundie

Excellent place

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

I have been here many times over the past number of years and have always found the food to be excellent, and I have not had any problems with the service. This is one of the finest restaurants the area .

Pros: excellent food
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

diverse menu

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2013

We went to Caravan of Dreams with two other couples (both vegan as well), so there was a total of six of us which means we had an automatic gratuity included. I don't know if that affected the service, but it was very slow in any case. I also never got a refill on my iced tea as they didn't really come around except to take our orders and drop them off. The menu is quite diverse with both raw and cooked food of different ethnicities. We all shared the seitan nachos and sampler appetizer plate to start. I got the soyrizo quesadilla and my friend got the raw one. I enjoyed mine more than she did hers. Dirk got the coconut curry special and was pleased. Also, at the table was raw tostadas and raw pizza. Most of us were happy with the food although it wasn't the best we'd had or anything, but the inattentive service did take away from the overall experience.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 24, 2013

Pros: diverse menu, raw and cooked
Cons: inattentive service
Krsnamayi
Krsnamayi

Great Lunch!

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2012

I went with a group of friends to Caravan of Dreams, and everyone loved the food. It's a really cute place with a low ceiling, and it made for an intimate setting. There was a live piano player during lunchtime on a Saturday. 2 out of 5 in our group were vegetarians, and everyone was raving about the food. I had the reuben sandwich which literally knocked my socks off! Other friends had the breakfast set (with amazing chipolte sauce), the polenta with veg (HUGE portion) another reuben and a salad. Great service, moderately priced...expect $12-15 per entree.

Pros: TASTY!!!!, lovely atmosphere, great service
Cons: NONE!
amaranth
amaranth

Wondeful vegan food

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

I visited here recently and I really enjoyed the meal. I had the Pizzetta and it was delicious. Full of toppings and a massive serving. The pumpkin seed crust was really yum with the pesto and cashew cream. My non-vegan bf had tofu scramble and was very shocked at how good it was and wants me to make it at home now :)

Pros: Excellent food, Great atmosphere, Large servings
jenly
jenly

changed for the better and pleasantly surprised

4 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

my husband and I have been going to C of C for many years now, but about two years ago we realized it was too stressful to bring our kids there and just stopped going altogether. Part of the problem were the very nice but supremely slow and often incompetent wait staff who made every meal an agonizing experience.
Anyway, a few weeks ago we tried it again with my slightly older children and it is apparent that some changes have taken place. The whole operation is much more professional. The wait staff are pleasant yet efficient.
The menu is slimmed down a bit but many old standbys remain. I always order what used to be called Angel's Green Garden Platter--I think it's called the macrobiotic platter now. It is sauteed kale and seitan served with carrot polenta and gravy. My children like the unchiken nachos. Every green salad on the menu is outstanding. There is not another restaurant in NYC that serves such fresh and thoroughly washed greens.
The downside is that it is expensive. It is also true that sometimes dishes disappoint. A few years ago we decided it was better to stick to the menu rather than going with the specials, which sometimes had kinks that needed to be worked out.
It is not the greatest restaurant to bring children, although they are tolerated. This is partly because the seating can be close together. If you go with kids, ask for a table in the back because there is more room to spread out there. Also bring paper and crayons or other amusements as they will have no such thingds to offer. And be prepared to have the only children in the restaurant. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen other children there.
We usually don't order the raw food, but there is an extensive selection.

Pros: fresh organic food
Cons: more 'spence than vegan fast food places
Sarah P
Sarah P

great selection

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2011

I ate here with a non-veg friend over the weekend. The ambiance was great, with attractive decor and live piano music. The menu was extensive, with brunch and non-brunch options such as sandwiches, pasta and salads. The salads looked fantastic. My friend ordered a sandwich and I ordered a celery root concoction. Both were very good. The portions were very small for the cost, but thankfully we had just eaten a Babycakes treat and did not need a lot to feel full. We also ordered a kefir drink with astragalus that tasted great and felt healthy. The servers were very friendly and helpful.

Many raw food items were on the menu, and I wish I had been able to try them. Someone at another table ordered the zucchini pasta raw special, and someone else ordered a raw fruit parfait, both of which looked delectable.

Pros: 100% vegan, extensive menu, creative items
Cons: expensive, small portions
VidaVerde
VidaVerde

My Favorite Salad Lives Here.

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

I haven't been here in a while.. but I have been enjoying this awesome food for about 7 or eight years now. There is a salad called THE LOVERS SALAD. it is just so beautiful and amazing and delicious.. that with the Vegan un-chicken Nachos.. perfection. I would literally order from here minimum 3 times a week.. and it AINT cheap. It is also a great place to dine in.. breakfast so yummy.. man.. I need to get back there this summer. So, yes..Caravan of Dreams is the REAL DEal when it comes to wonderful, generous, delicious vegetarian food. done.

Pros: Raw Dessert, Fresh Coconut Milk, cozy atmosphere
Cons: a wee bit expensive
Jakub1977
Jakub1977

GREAT Food and Atmosphere

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2011

We find out about this place while shopping at Mooshoes. And I am glad we did. Everything I had was great, the food and the drinks. Staff was very friendly. This place gets busy but the staff will try to accommodate you as soon as they can.
Next time I go to NYC I will make sure to have dinner here again!!!

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere
catzie
catzie

it was alright

3 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2010

I like their mango smoothie. I had the lasagne written on the special. I was hoping for some sparks since I heard this restaurant was well known and also the decoration kept me in a good mood. But I got dissapointed by the entree, I remember that I didnt want to finish it, and that is quite a big deal for me since I usually finish everything. They used vegetables, like peas and corn, which are not the most exciting vegetables in the world. Also the taste wasnt exciting and almost tasteless. I wonder why they just dont use vegan cheese, like Daiya, because afterall it is a lasagne. Mmmh, maybe next time better

Pros: Service, Decoration, Atmosphere
Cons: Prices
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

just ok

3 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

over the years i have had some pretty good meals and other times just mediocre. there is a lot better places than caravan.

Nelson
Nelson
  • raw

forget this place!

2 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

As a raw foodist, I found this place to be quite a disappointment and quite over-priced.

cdrk
cdrk

Excellent raw food

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2009

All what I tried there was excellent and the raw humus was simply magic.

Pros: vegan, raw, tasty
andrea
andrea

just lucky?

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

Had I read some of these reviews first, we probably would've skipped coming here. But,I've heard good things about CoD over the years. We must have been lucky in that our waiter was a super-nice new guy, taking a financial break from college. We had the yummy tempeh Reuben, loved it. And a tempeh and polenta and veggie plate. It, too was very good. Our meat-eating friend loved his soup, but wasn't crazy about his raw pate; if I'd been paying attention, I would've advised something else. He's never eaten vegan food except at my house, and certainly never raw. They special made me a smoothie sans banana, yea, it took a few minutes, but was totally awesome. OH and we had the "famous" nacho appetizer. It was just fantastic, much better than ones we've had elsewhere, and our waiter was really nice, bringing us some extra chips for our leftover guac. So, if the service suck when you go, call them out on it and tell them you'll post here!

Pros: Nachos, good food
Cons: a bit shabby
sjaney9189
sjaney9189

Dissatisfaction

3 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2009

I went for Valentines day i had been psyched to go for years now, I am very into the raw food movement and have been raw for a year. The raw dish i ordered was around $22 i was expecting to get an extavagent well contructed dish( i ordered a "pasta" dish, it came out as a salad with mango, guacomole and a bit of spaghetti squash on top, it was so disappointing, i even asked if this was the right dish. The service was even bad our entire meal was rushed before we could even dive into our apps our entrees were on the table-- Bad form

Pros: good atmosphere, large menu, super nutritious
Cons: rushed service, missleading menu, unoriginal raw food
weetahbug
weetahbug

Caravan of Blah

2 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2008

Its not that the food was bad. it wasn't. And maybe if you're a raw foodist, this place is great. That being said, I could have spent $20 at whole foods buying some pre-packaged stuff and 30 minutes of my time to put it together to have the same meal that i spent close to 80 dollars on. The "bruschetta" was on dry sandwich bread and kind of chintzy, the other appetizer, i think it might have been guacamole, was forgettable to me. The raviolis of the day were the same ones i buy at whole foods, and the reuben was pretty forgettable. After the meal, while it wasn't terrible or anything, we found ourselves really angry that we could have saved the money and gone to lan cafe twice for better food and faster (and that's saying a lot; lan cafe isn't known for its speed!)service on a much cheaper bill.

Cons: mediocre, forgettable food, expensive, bad service
teal_ocean
teal_ocean

Okay Brunch

3 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2008

We happened upon Caravan of Dreams today and stopped for Brunch. I had the scramble ( which was 70% summer squash and bland, juice and tea for 16. I think for Caravan this is considered a deal. The person I dined with had a breakfast burritto and thought it was great. The waiter was nice enough and attentive--so according to past reviews maybe he's new? My only concern was how dingy and run down it is looking.

Pros: Vegan, Juices, Raw
Cons: Dingy, Dark, Expensive
Fredknows
Fredknows

Live food, dead waitress

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2008

"Live food, dead waitress"
Posted by Fredknows on: Saturday, June 07, 2008
Review: We ate here for here first time and really enjoyed the "raw live food sampler" and several other live items plus the natural fruit and nut drink shakes.

Warm weather is definitely the time for live food (served cold or a room temperature). It was a hot 85 degree day in lower Manhattan so it worked out well. We dined for lunch. When we arrived the restaurant only had a few customers, a few came in later and it was probably 1/2 mid-way through our meal.

The sole waitress on duty was slow to wait on us and terse in responding to our questions about the unique items on the menu. We ordered healthy frozen drinks when we sat down and then midway through our meal some herbal ice teas. We watched her walk back and forth past them on the bar several times without bothering to stop to acknowledge their existence and bring them over to our table. On the 2nd round of drinks, my wife just got up and grabbed them off the bar herself out of total disgust.

So I'd rate the food a 10 on it's uniqueness and the service a 2 for the clueless waitress.

When we left the place we met a girl walking down the street who overheard our conversation upon exiting the restaurant. She said she used to wait tables there and it's a problem with this place. Judging from other peoples comments it's a ongoing situation. But she said not worry, if you come back in a couple month that waitress will probably be gone too!

Pros: great live food and drink
Cons: bad service
condekedar
condekedar

Mixed experience

3 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2008

Caravan has nice atmosphere (with live music) and seems to have an innovative menu. That said, the service was a bit confused (they forgot at least one item we ordered, but still charged us for it), and many of the dishes seemed indistinguishable from one another. This was particularly true of their "live" dishes, which just seemed like glorified salads, more than anything else. I think their cooked dishes would be superior, based upon my experience with their paella (which was light and tasty). Their desserts were lacking, however; none of them, raw or cooked, grabbed my attention or seemed extraordinary. It might be better to go for lunch, at an odd hour, when the service will be less hurried and the food better prepared, perhaps.

Pros: Atmosphere, Cooked dishes, Innovative menu
Cons: Indistinguishable live dishes, Bland desserts, Mixed service
veggielissa
veggielissa

Yummy Delish ^-^

4 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2008

Very good food! Try the virgin sangria it is tart and tasty. i also got the mango skewers. the dessert is worth it too. i got a sort ice cream cookie pile withh chocolate and strawberries(amazing). the waiters are a bit disant to say the least and it can be noisy but the live music was nice.

Pros: food, dessert, music
Cons: waiters, blenders
ivorygate
ivorygate
  • raw

utterly disappointing

2 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2007

My girlfriend and I, on day 2 of our raw journey through New York City, decided to stop here on this place's reputation alone. It had a lot of potential, west-coast vibe, jazz band playing. Seemed like a cool hangout spot.

The wait staff was clueless, and having been a waiter for 15 years, I am well aware of what this entails. B.S.-ing your way through menu items that you haven't read is one way to incite the ire of customers, and then not finding out the answers and just blowing us off was mistake #2. Somehow, long after our appetizer was done and waiting for our entree order to be taken, we were given an even MORE clueless server, whose answer to a question as "difficult" as "what's in the cabbage wrap?" was (and no, I'm not making this up) "um, nuts .... and more nuts, and some dehydrated veggies"

Wow. Insightful.

The problem ensued when we found out that she may have to see if the kitchen was closed, since there was such a wait between someone coming to our table to order appetizers and entrees. That went over REALLY well, as one could imagine.

The live menu was sizable, which is a plus, but the dishes were not worth the money, and the dessert menu was not handed to us until after we paid our bill.

Word on the street is that the management is unstable, and they do not use organic ingredients like the menu states. Other customers from various NYC restaurants who have eaten at Caravan have shared similar experiences with inept staff and bland food, and have vowed not to return. A note to the owner Angel: neither will we.

Pros: live menu, jazz band
Cons: inept staffing, bland food, too much hype
Erin P.
Erin P.

Not bad

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2007

I really disliked the Tempeh Reuben. Looked good in the description but failed on delivery. Not at all tasty. However, my friend ordered a grilled veggie burrito and it was outstanding. So he let me pretty much eat half of his meal and it was wonderful. We also had the nachos appetizer and it was stellar! Highly recommend it. I should have ordered another one of those. We didn't stay for dessert as nothing sounded terribly appealing to me.

Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: food hit and miss
fancy!
fancy!

cozy atmosphere, delicious healthy food!

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2007

while i was visiting new york city in late july 2007 and i went here for dinner. the menu was pretty big (including a live food menu!) and it took me a long time to decide because everything sounded so delicious. my boyfriend had the tempeh reuben that he gets in every veggie restaurant we've ever been to and he says this one was the BEST by far. i had a yummy raw meatball dish that was served with salad and an excellent salad dressing. we also had organic red wine and berry "cheesecake" for dessert. yummy.

our waiter was nice but was kind of aloof. i didn't care though because i was enjoying myself too much. i know it sucks to be a waiter sometimes because i was one for many years.

the presentation was beautiful and the atmosphere was great. it really had that old world, vibrant feeling. overall, very good!!!

Pros: vegan and raw menu, great atmosphere, delicious food
Cons: can be pricey, aloof waiter
michal
michal

best place in nyc

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2007

i have eaten at many different vegan places, this is for sure my favorite. it's absolutely delicious. pricey, sure, but it's a pleasure paying that much. daily specials, extensive menu which is all amazing, great juice & shake bar, i love it all. staff is always great too!

Pros: atmosphere, great tasting
myboyfriendisdead
myboyfriendisdead

Great Live Food!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2007

Caravan of Dreams has a unique menu of both live and cooked organic dishes. Try their Macrobiotic Platter, a juice or a smoothly. Wonderful deserts... You will always leave this place feeling great!

Guest
Guest

Caravan of Dreams

2 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2007

Don't get me wrong, the food was good - everything tasted fresh and grainy/healthy, but not particularly flavorful. On that latter point, I really like spicy food which is why this didn't appeal to me so much, but it did have a fresh, natural flavor. My boyfriend and I shared fresh coconut water right from the coconut. :-) But...the menu options are very much what I would consider lunch-type food..which would be ok, except you wouldn't expect to pay $20 for a salad at lunch....and that's just the salad. If you order a drink, an appetizer or anything else..watch out. They're charging vegan fine-dining rates for decent vegan lunchfood. The atmosphere was cafeteria-like with a picnic table feeling. Strictly speaking on the food....if the prices were a third as much I could see myself popping in there for a good, fresh lunch. Under the circumstances, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere for a fine dining experience since this restaurant costs just as much and doesn't deliver anywhere near the level of food or atmosphere. I also agree with one other reviewer that the the servers seemed uninterested that there were customers in the restaurant. It took about 10 minutes for them to even notice we were there, and afterward were unattentive.

Pros: Food fresh, Fresh Coconut water
Cons: Expensive for Lunch Food, Service
Nickysr
Nickysr

Good Takeout

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2007

Only had take out delivered from here - but had an amazing burrito - all vegan and delivered speedily and actually too large to finish. Considered flavours and healthy cuisine make this one for my next visit to NYC.

Pros: delivery service, good size portions
bullcityveg
bullcityveg

Nice

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2007

I've been to caravan a few times...the food tastes good, and it's hard to please me, as I'm not a raw food fan. Their house dressing is seriously delicious, I've tried to find something close for a long time. The burritos are almost as big as my arm and the burgers were pretty good. This is one of the few places I've been in Manhattan where I can honestly say the salads are worth ordering, they know what they're doing! The service can be a little slow, and the desserts are sort of vile, but the food itself is yummy. I haven't actually ordered anything aside from the burrito, burger and the alfredo special (which is also huge and really delicious). That said, I've definitely gone there and it has been closed or the crowd has been a little odd.

Pros: good value
Cons: the venue itself

Dear Owner and Manager of Caravan of Dreams: