CLOSED: Capitol Dawg

Serves meat, veg options available. Hot dog joint offering vegan franks (vegetable and grain protein) and corn dogs; the corn dogs are veg but not vegan. A wide variety of toppings and sauces, including vegetarian chili. French fries and sweet potato fries are cooked using trans fat free oil. SHUT DOWN/CLOSED DEC 2012. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
1226 20th St (L St)
Sacramento, California 95811
916-444-1226

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by jive
RockyRupple
RockyRupple

Great hot dog joint- VERY vegan friendly

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

I love this place, I am so grateful to have a place where I can go to get an old favorite with the alternative ingredients I now prefer. "Vegan-izing" food can seem like an impossible thing for a mainstream restaurant to incorporate but they've accomplished it seamlessly at Capitol Dawg. Vegetarians and vegans are both covered with their diary/egg free veggie dogs and corn dogs, and dairy free/meat free vegetarian chili. Vegans can enjoy a chili dog with onion and vegetarians can add cheese to anything they want, and of course the omnivores are covered - voila! Everyone's happy!

The decor is eclectic and ranges from vintage to autographed photos and images of celebrities, young and old, eating hotdogs. Indoor, outdoor seating, beer, low prices and happy hour specials, great location, a very present and interactive owner - I can't say enough good things about this place. I love it.

Pros: low prices, veg options, excellent service
jive
jive

Top dawg in town

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2012

I was greatly surprised by how lively this little place was. Even from the street you can spot it 3 blocks down. It just has this energy about it. The inside is hard to describe. Its so amazingly compact with quirky little nuggets of pop culture and Sacramento history.

Whats really great is that they steam the veggie dawgs. You don't have to worry about them cooking your food on the same frier they do with the meat. The vegetable/grain protein franks were unbelievably delicious. I could have easily eaten 6 or 7 of them. Next time i will have to try one with the vegetarian chili.

All and all I think this is a great little spot to get a bite to eat, and i cant wait to go back.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Capitol Dawg: