Serves meat, veg options available. This gluten-free conscious cafe offers a vegan breakfast menu, a vegan lunch menu, and a vegan sandwich menu. Breakfast served all day. Can accommodate both small and large groups. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Western, Australian, American, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by Dawson1303
Tiggy
Tiggy

Very friendly staff but...

2 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2014

I ended up at this place because I was near Balaclava and wanted to try out something new. I looked at the menu and was pleased to see that a good number of vegan options were clearly listed. The staff were very friendly and attentive, which makes it harder for me to say that I had a terrible experience of the food here. I was initially attracted to the vegan lasagna, but being quite hungry and wanting some protein I ended up ordering the 'Fisherman's Day Off'. This was described as tofu pan-fried with lemon and dill, on a bed of seaweed and accompanied by chips and aioli. Not too much later a friendly cook brought me out my plate and said they'd been "experimenting" with their menu. Instead of seaweed I had wilted salad leaves. The plate was piled to overflowing with oily fried food - dried out tofu strips, zucchini julienne, onion rings and other things I couldn't identify. On the side was a small amount of vegan aioli with a consistency not fluid enough to be dipped in. A few minutes later a staff member offered me sauce and then brought me some soya sauce. (I think she misheard me, as I didn't request it.) I generally try to finish what's on my plate but in this case I struggled, and not just because of the vast amount. This was only one experience (and some of the meals I saw being served looked nice) but it was a particularly bad experience all the same and it's hard to think of a justification for all that was wrong, from the "experimenting" line (rather than either notifying when I ordered or apologising for not giving me what I ordered) to the dry (yet oily) meal.

Pros: Clearly marked vegan options, Friendly staff
Cons: Poorly prepared dish, No warning of modifications to meal
Dawson1303
Dawson1303

vegan menu and all gluten free

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2014

This family run café is worth a visit for its imaginative and perhaps unique gluten free vegan options, friendly and personable service and nice relaxing atmosphere with free wifi.
Gluten free Vegan breakfast menu consists of: BBQ tofu strips or tofu scramble with grilles vegies, beans and hash brown options; Savoury chickpea pancake served with relish, hommus and avocado topped with a creamy cashew cheese; Pineapple baked oatmeal with cinnamon and soy whipped cream; Corn fritters served with tomato and avocado salsa and hash browns topped with home made baked beans.
Gluten free Vegan lunch menu consists of: Eggplant Parmigana served with polenta chips; Oven roasted zucchini spaghetti topped with a black bean and guacamole sauce; Lasagne with home made vegan cheese sauce served with salad or chips; Field mushroom grilled with herbs and spices in a bun with lettuce tomato and onion and topped with a aioli sauce served with a side of chips; and the Fisherman's Day Off, which is deepfried tofu strips marinated in a lemon and dill coating beside crispy onion rings and chips all served on a bed of seaweed with a side of creamy vegan aioli.
If anything, given how tasty the meals ate, the size of the portions are not large enough.

Pros: vegan menu, imaginative gluten free vegan dishes, friendly service
Cons: meals not large enough

Dear Owner and Manager of Capitan Fracassa Cafe: