Offers a variety of smoothies and juices as well as fresh organic bowls and salads. Build-your-own bowl option. Local kombucha and beer on tap. Same owners as Sip juice cart. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Juice bar, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out
2816 SE Stark St (SE 28th)
Portland, Oregon 97214
503-964-0820
OPEN NOW

Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

First Review by elizabet
heathera75
heathera75

All Organic, All Vegan- Juice, Smoothies, Food.

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2014

All Vegan and All Organic. That is a huge plus!! The owner of SIP cart(s) created this place some time in last few years, so the menu for juices and smoothies are similar (if you are familiar with Sip.) They have bowls and salads and some yummy desserts. I will say everything IS pretty tasty. What is frustrating though is some attitudes of the workers, who seem overly stressed and aloof. (Oddly enough in earlier years ran into this with SIP cart as well, but that eventually changed once a nice girl named Lindsay became manager). Ok, I know people have to work hard, but a smile or two would be be kind.
Definitely a "punk" vibe on other hand, so gives it an authentic Portland vegan feel. But yeah, be.kinder.people. Most of the other "hipster " or "punk" friends I know are, why not you?!?! Oh also music is often VERY loud.

(I no longer live in Portland- and with good reason- attitudes. Buuuut, there definitely are some amazing food and organic restaurants. This place fits the bill taste wise!!! Worth a try!)

Updated from previous review on Thursday December 04, 2014

Pros: Organic, vegan food, Organic, Vegan smoothies and juice, Nice location
Cons: Unfriendly service, Loud music at times, Did I mention unfriendly service?
Juliett_Oscar
Juliett_Oscar

Love this place

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

Delicious bowls, great smoothies, friendly staff - what more can you ask for? Nice place to hang out solo, or with a buddy. Extra points for easy bike parking and good beers! So happy to have a go-to spot in SE.

Pros: You will feel good after eating here, Friendly staff
Cons: loud inside because of blender action, can take awhile because of small kitchen
choicesustenance
choicesustenance

Fresh food

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2013

Canteen is a small place, but they have a large selection of food and fresh juice. They have outdoor seating, which was perfect for enjoying a nice spring day. My husband and I each ordered a fresh juice, which came in a large glass. I was impressed, since often fresh juice is served in smaller quantities. The prices were very reasonable. We each ordered one of their bowls, and I was pleased with the flavors! Their veggies were freshly steamed & it was obvious they prepare things from scratch.

Pros: fresh food, large sizes for juice, outdoor seating

saveur
saveur

My favourite resto in Portland

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

We hit a few restos while in Portland and this was our favourite (sorry Portobello). Absolutely adored their Portland bowl. Good smoothies and they order in their desserts. I had a lovely Rawdicious raw cheesecake for dessert. Highly recommended. Worth the trek over from downtown (easy with public transport, btw)

Pros: Portland bowl
VintageVariety
VintageVariety

All vegan food, beer, & juice

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

What more could I ask for? Yummy, healthy bowls.. salads, juice, and beer. Small, friendly place. Some outdoor seating. My husband and I shared the taco salad and the Portland bowl. Both were really good. We will definitely return on one of our ventures to Portland.

Pros: vegan food, beer, juice
Cons: none
elizabet
elizabet

Healthy and delicous.

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

This is a brick and mortar location opened by the guys who run the two Sip juice carts.

So my boyfriend and I biked over last night for a beer and to see the menu. This place has just opened. It seemed to be a mixture of bowls and salads alongside the expected (amazing) juices and smoothies that Sip is known for. (As well as a small, but nice, beer, wine and dessert menu.)

I had the Taco Salad: walnut meat, cashew nacho cheese, avocado, tomatoes and onions on a bed of greens for $8. It was super tasty with the right amount of spice. I was still a little hungry after (would have loved to have some black beans on it.)

My friend got the bangkok bowl: brown rice, kimchee, black sesame, brocolli and beans (can't remember the kind) with a peanut curry sauce. Super tasty. Yum.

Pros: healthy cuisine, thoughtful combos, tasty
Cons: not filling

Dear Owner and Manager of Canteen: