Cañadú has also English and German menu. Juices, salads, plates, vegan cakes, and mostly light meals. Set meal at lunch for for around 8-10 Euro. Vegan items are marked. Nice atmosphere. Some seating facing the Plaza. Live music Thur-Sat. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Spanish, Juice bar
Plaza de la Merced, 21 (near Picasso's birthplace)
Malaga, Spain
952-229056

Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm, 11:30am-2:30pm

First Review by katandp
Red Riding Hood
Red Riding Hood

Great location with okay food

3 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2014

The Canadu is directly at the Plaza de la Merced, there is a lot of life and it fits in with a whole group of restaurants at the Plaza. It's a really nice atmosphere and it's nice to have a veggi option in a central and touristy area.
The menu is big and features mainly Spanish style dishes and the wine menu contains some really nice organic wines.
In general there was nothing wrong with the food, but it wasn't exciting either. It could have been a little more flavorful (Spicy, more herbes ..) for my taste.
It was really crowded, which of course is good, but the service seemed very slow and inattantive.
Prices are moderate.

Pros: Good assortment of dishes, Organic wines, Good portion size
Cons: Lack of creativity, Slow service
Kimxula
Kimxula

Fantastic place

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2014

I've been to Canadu twice now and I have enjoyed each time. Plenty of food to choose from, nice decor and well located. My only criticism would be that both times the mousse de yogur y aranados (is that how you spell it?) wasn't available and this was months apart - so maybe they should just remove the item from the menu? Nevertheless, the food is fantastic quality and the vegan chocolate cake is immense.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday March 05, 2013

Pros: Great food, Centrally located, Nice decor
Cons: Mousse de yogur never available :(, Staff can be a bit slow
Justmeenny
Justmeenny

Great! Genial! Großartig!

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

There is a menu which allows you to choose one of three plates. Of course there are also individual plates. The food was delicious and the price for the menu great. I couldn't eat up because I was full. Vegan plates, plates without gluten are marked. The employees are very friendly. The smoothies are awesome!

Hay un menú que te permite elegir uno de tres platos. Por supuesto que también hay platos individuales. La comida estuve deliciosa y el precio por menú fue genial. No pude comer todo porque estaba llena. Platos veganos, platos sin gluten son marcados. Los camareros son muy amables. Los smoothies son riquísimos!

Es gibt ein Menü, das dir erlaubt, eines von drei Gerichten auszuwählen. Natürlich gibt es auch einzelne Gerichte. Das Essen war sehr lecker und der Preis für das Menü ist super Ich konnte nicht aufessen, weil ich pappsatt war. Vegane Gerichte, Gerichte ohne Gluten sind gekennzeichnet. Die Kellner sind sehr freundlich. Die Smoothies sind absolut genial.

Pros: Excellent smoothies, food!, Friendly staff, Good prices

Albita
Albita

Great local food!!

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

My favourite vegeterian restaurant in my hometown Malaga!! :D

The food is simply delicious. I really love the fact that they have typical local dishes from Malaga such as "ajo blanco" (cold garlic and almond soup)or "gazpacho" (cold vegetable soup). The "menú del día" is very good for the great price it has! And at night when you can't have the "menú del día" you can enjoy lots of options from the menu such as the wonderfully yummy "meatballs" with tomato sauce and chips. Just my favourite! And don't forget to try the fresh juices!! :D

Staff is nice and quite professional I think. And location is beautiful :)

Pros: excellent food, beautiful location, nice staff
Veganbogey
Veganbogey

Ajo blanca..mmmmm!

4 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

We need up here as another restaurant was shut and the lovely owner of 'vegandeli' recommended this place to us.
Lovely food. Lots of different tastes . Pity they had run out of vegan cakes.
Staff happy to speak in English.

Pros: The ajo blanco is 'TDF!' gorgeous , Good food, Reasonable prices
JonJon
JonJon

Best of Málaga

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

We went there for dinner. The outdoor seating of the restaurant stands on the Plaza de la Merced, which is a great location to eat. Good to see a vegetarian restaurant out there. Appetizers offered with drinks include generous portions of olives and breadsticks. We chose to begin with houmous and pickled peppers. The houmous was good but the pickled peppers lacked a little spicy to my view (but they were still good). We then asked for an hawaiian salad (had a great flavour) and a seitan whose taste was crazily close to the one of grilled sardines you find in every beach restaurant around Málaga. Portions were also very generous that we could not order something else.
Prices are very reasonnable for both food quality and quantity, and the great location of the restaurant (35 euros for two persons with beers included).

No real negative point to state after this first experience.

Pros: perfect location, exceptionnal seitan, vegan choices and big portions
AnAnaN
AnAnaN

Tasty food and good ambiance

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

The food was nicely arranged on our plate, the ambiance outside was great - someone was playing the piano inside which can be heard on the terrace. Very relaxing.
I had a lentil salad and I loved it. It was much more filling then it looked. For dessert I had a vegan chocolate cake, it was cheap and it was a really big slice! It tasted really good.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 16, 2013

Pros: Ambiance, Live music, Good food
CharlotteWench
CharlotteWench

Cana-don´t even bother

2 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

Went in to the restaurant lovely location but the waiting staff looked completely miserable dressed all in black not the laid back vegetarian style that i thought it was going to be.
Chose the menu del dia and i had the soja pieces with potatoes al pobre and to be honest it was the worst meal I have ever had in a vegetarian restaurant. The person who cooked it obviously wasnt a vegetarian or hadn´t tried this combination before. completely awful

Ironbound71
Ironbound71

Great dinners during summer vacation!

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013

My family (some vegetarian some not) of 5 spent a week in Malaga and discovered this right across the plaza from our hotel. It was great! They had something for all of us... even my meat eaters... and a lovely selection of teas with flavors from around the world. I highly recommend!

ukvillafan
ukvillafan

Lovely

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

I arrived in Malaga late last Thursday (2nd May 2013) and my friend led me here. It is a delightful little place, quiet and with very friendly staff. There was a local pianist tinkling away inside, which added to the atmosphere; he was friendly too, coming over to chat after we had finished eating.

The food was very good and reasonably priced. Good, traditional Spanish cuisine with vegan options. I didn't go to Malaga with the intention of writing restaurant reviews, so I have no idea exactly what I ate, but it was vegan and tasty. Don't be put off by negative reviews - some people are never happy and have no perspective! And, no, I'm not connected with the place!!

I would recommend visiting here, as well as many of the other veg places in Malaga, where you will find a variety of veggie and vegan options.

Pros: Food, Friendly staff, There's an occasional pianist
Cons: None that spring to mind
arde
arde

Excellent

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

The food was great, service very good and the location is lovely too. Very much enjoyed the fresh apple/mint/lemon juice and the crema de verdura soup (not vegan unfortunately). I had a soy burger with moroccan sauce which was served with the softest, fluffiest couscous I've ever had. My husband had a spicy risotto which he loved as well. We liked it so much we visited it twice in the week we were in Malaga.

Pros: Great food, Good service
christopher
christopher

Best In The AREA

5 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

Went for the first time and will be back again! Food was so good I asked to speak with the chef as I coikd not believe it was vegan. The Callos was perfect and the vegano chocolate cake was huge and rich. One was enough for four! Very clean friendly and pleasant! The prices are more than reasonable
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 24, 2013

Pros: Choices, Quality, Staff
Cons: Noisy by kitchen
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

The menu del dia is a bargain!

4 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

For just over 9 euros, you can choose from a great menu del dia here, and eat it in a lovely square while watching the world go by. You get four courses. Starters of note when we were there: a lovely mixed salad, and a soup of garlic and almonds. Second course included a noodle dish and a thick vegetable soup. Then a variety of hot dishes. Finally, fresh fruit or a dessert. The a la carte dishes were huge and very tasty, but for value, the menu is the way to go. The only problem for us was that on our first day in Spain we were surprised to find lunch only started at 13.30 . . .

Pros: value for money, location
Tertia
Tertia

Nice waiters, traditional vegetarian food

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

We were surprised to find a vegetarian restaurant on such a large square. The waiters were very friendly, they spoke English and had an English menu available.
Vegan item are clearly marked.

I had some cold gazpacho with a lot of garlic and eggplant with bechamel sauce, nuts and a paprika sauce.
My partner had a warm soup and a burger, and was a bit dissapointed that it came without a bun, it were a couple of patties served with sauce and rice.

On a Friday night, they were already open on 19.30 hours.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Central Location, Vegan options
Cons: Bit old fashioned food
Beanie779
Beanie779

Very Good Food But...

2 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2012

....The service was definitely lacking.

My boyfriend and I went in when it really wasn't very busy (only a few of the tables had people). We got seated fine and although the waiter wasn't outright rude, he wasn't exactly friendly either. It's a bit hard to explain in text, but the food was rather forcefully put on our tables and then the waiter would swiftly move on. We both got the impression that he was in a bit of a bad mood about something!

The food itself was great, and really, really good value for money. We got a deal that was something like 8 euros for 4 dishes. This included a salad, main meal and dessert and something else that escapes me (we went there quite a few weeks ago). The portion sizes were really good too, so we left feeling absolutely stuffed!

Pros: Great tasting food, Quick service, Good portion sizes
Cons: Lack of service
Liilamayii
Liilamayii

Nice place, good food

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2012

Nice location on the plaza merced which has many outdoor cafes. We went for the menu del dia which was consisting of 4 plates for about 9 euros. It was possible to have the whole menu vegan, and the food was great. We had a mixed salad with strawberry sauce, creamy vegetable soup, cous cous with nuts and vegetables and yogurt with strawberries. Unfortunately we did not have to stay there to eat, but it was possible to have take away. If i come to Malaga again I will go here again and actually sit down on the plaza!

Pros: nice menu del dia, nice, central location, cheap
psiphi75
psiphi75

Nice quiet place

3 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2011

Quiet restaurant. Good food with range of vegan options. Waiter did not speak English, but we got by fine.

daniellinor2
daniellinor2

Friendly staff!

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2011

Charming staff! The food was ok. The salads we had could have had more quality ingredients.

Pros: Very friendly staff
AudreyHarry
AudreyHarry

Yum!

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2011

Refreshing Apple/carrot/lemon juice and reasonably priced menu del dia.
Clean and fresh atmosphere with helpful and friendly staff.

jmpcov
jmpcov

Good Food And Friendly Staff

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2011

I ate here a week ago and was very pleased with the food and service. I sat outside at one of the 4 tables (inside was nearly full)and had the hummous and endive starter which was tasty and the seitan and rice main which was also good and filling.

The menu was decent with a fair amount of vegan and gluten free dishes clearly marked. And if I had been in Malaga longer I would have made this my "place to eat". With 2 beers, the bill came to about 14 euros. The waitress actually forgot about my second beer as it was quite busy, so the manager said it was on the house. Touches like that always impress me.

I went sunday lunch time and it does seem a popular and pleasant place. Recommended.

Do note that at the moment the square it is situated -Plaza de la Merced - is undergoing serious building work and is just a construction site at the moment. But when finished, if other Malaga Plazas are anything to go on, it will be a lovely place to sit outside and eat.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 28, 2011

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
gitika
gitika

Pleasantly surprised

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2010

Having lived in Spain a few years and very rarely going out to eat as there is hardly anywhere that does vegan food, I never expect much anymore. But decided to give Canudu a try. We went on a Saturday night which was fairly busy but managed to get a table inside. The food was good, waiters attentive and the piano player was unobtrusive. All in all quite a nice experience.

Pros: Nice atmosphere , Pleasant waiters
kuopiolainen
kuopiolainen

Good food werved with a smile

3 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2010

Nice place with good atmosphere, the music wasn't too loud and the waiters were plesant. My friend took tortellines of four cheeses (you can choose whether you take it with or without blue cheese), wich was good as well as were my veggie burgers. The menu was extensive and had many good options. It also contained seitan dishes, but I didn't try one because all of them were with rice and I wanted to have pasta (wich I in the end didn't even have :D).

We went there on Saturday so we couldn't try menu del dia. As starters we took "sopa de aho", a cold garlic soup that contained grapes - it was Very good. Our main dishes were mentioned earlier. For dessert we chose the most expensive dessert on the list; it was three-chocolate cheese cake with two balls of ice cream (5,60 €), big enough for two persons. The whole 3 course menu was around 35 € for two persons (main courses ~12-15 if I remember right).

I'm not quite sure wich one of the two vegetarian(-friendly) restaurants we went was nicer, this one or El Vegetariano de la Alcazabilla; if I didn't want to try some other, new place, I would propably go to Cañadu.

Coffee was disappointment: it was Illy's.

Pros: good atmosphere, good sized portions
Cons: coffee
marysol
marysol

great improvement.

3 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2009

I go to this Cañadu quite a lot. The food seems to have improved over the past year. At one time the various burgers tasted the same. The munu del dia is also better. Before you could have rice for first course and cous.cous for the nest 2 courses. Very boring. The last few times I noted that they had more variety. I've been told that it changed hands about 1 or 2 years ago.

Pros: friendly staff, reasonable prices, small and cosy atmosphere
Cons: not a great deal of variety
comida
comida

Pretty good for Málaga

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2009

Cañadu was very easy to find, being on the Plaza de la Merced. It's near the Picasso Museum. They had a very reasonable Menu del Dia.

It was completely full when we went, around 2:00pm, and people were waiting outside to be seated indoors. A few people gave up and ate outside, where they have a few tables and chairs. The clientele were mainly locals and regulars, with a few tourists.

The vegan items are clearly marked. However, when my second course came (a spaghetti), it was covered in Parmesan cheese. When I asked the waitress if it was vegan, she said, "Yes...except for the cheese on top." To her credit, she took the dish back gracefully and came back with a dairy-free replacement quite quickly. Because it was so full, we had to chase up bread twice, and the table next to us did as well. Three tables around us were waiting around for a while for the bill. I think that maybe they just need more staff.

We all enjoyed our food, and it was nice to have fresh fruit (cherries) as a dessert option instead of the usual puddings and cakes. The juice of the day which was watermelon and melon was very nice as well.

All in all the staff was friendly although they were clearly rushed off their feet.

I don't know whether they speak any English, but the menu had English.

Pros: Central location, Vegan items marked, Friendly staff
Cons: Got cheese on my vegan item, Need more staff
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

It could be better

2 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2009

So first the good. Salads are decent, bread is nice, fresh juices are great... everything else is swimming in oil. We went for lunch and dinner and ended up only being able to eat salad and bread and looking at the waitress in disbelief as she brought out french fries when we asked for potatoes w/o oil and then rice w/o oil and its all covered with oil... You'd think we'd have learned from lunch. There's no problem with my Spanish as I've gotten oil free dishes for about a month and this is the first place I've encountered that is completely ridiculous...

Pros: salad, juice
Cons: oil covered everything, bad waitress, don't expect special requests
cheroyma
cheroyma

Loved It!

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2009

It was great for me and my non veggie friend. Tina ( our waitress )was fantastic and it was affordable. We had wine, pasta, seitan with garlic and lemon ( I recommend )and dessert all for 26 euro. I can't wait to go back!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good portions
Jayjazz
Jayjazz

Awsome!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2009

This place was really easy to find, the food was awsome had an English menu, though the waiter didn't speak much english we still managed to get it all across. Vegan options clearly marked. I was there with my boyfriend who is a massive meat eater and he loved his spagetti bolagnase. The patas bravas were lovely and spicy. had seiten and brown rice which I thought might be a bit bland but it was delicous. I reckon this is my fav veg place!

Pros: delicious food, vegan clearly marked, easy to find
atandt
atandt

cosy place, delicious food

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2008

Lots of food choices on menu. Warm & cozy atmosphere. Green olives set on all tables for nibbles. Nice 1/2 litres of wine. Lots of "media" (half) portions to choose from. Me & my partner each tried the patatas, but with a different sauce. His was the smoky salsa (bravas), & mine was in this heavenly aioli/rose sauce. Enjoyed the verdura sopa (leek, potato, courgettes).

Pros: warm, english menu, tasty food
katandp
katandp

great food

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2008

visited again on a sunday and it was really busy, had a lovely meal ajo blanco to start and stuffed aubergine. really nice to be able to eat properly after a lot of patas bravas.

Pros: great location, friendly staff, excellent food
Cons: very busy

Dear Owner and Manager of Canadu: