Calypso Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Quick and healthier food, with veg choices. Soups, burritos, nachos, black beans, corn muffins. Per staff, will be relocating in Feb 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Non-veg

First Review by Smallu
Technicality
Technicality

Calypso Cafe

3 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2014

Calypso has several locations in Nashville. I have visited them all.

You really can't beat the beans and three for a vegan gluten free value meal. The black beans are good (ask for no sour cream), the sweet potatoes are a little mushy but good, the callo (greens) are fantastic, and the wild rice mix is filling.

The best thing about this place is you can go here with anyone - non-vegetarians, kids - there are good options for everyone. I used to really enjoy the spicy roasted jerk chicken myself.

Pros: Beans and 3, Callo (greens), Something for everyone
ishmael28
ishmael28

One of our favorite places in Nashville

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

My family and I love this restaurant. I'm a vegetarian - very close to vegan - and my husband and son both eat meat and dairy on occasion, and we all love to eat here. They have their vegan options clearly marked on their menus, which makes ordering a breeze. I've had the roasted chicken, which was very delicious at the time, yuck :-) and it's still my husband's favorite. I've heard the salads and nachos are delicious, but I always get the plate of side dishes because they are so yummy. I usually get irritated when I have to order all sides at a restaurant, but won't get anything else here, go figure. Even my seven year old loves it! The deserts are awful though. Even the staff told me they were gross. The prices are great; the three of us eat for under $25.

Pros: delicious food, staff wonderful, great prices
Cons: disgusting deserts
Rayelle
Rayelle

• non-vegetarian

Been Going For Years

4 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

The "take it easy" cafe has several locations in Nashville. The interior of the eatery is usually lime green with fun animal murals and the usual suspects like Bob Marley play in the background. Staff adorns t-shirts and shorts, so you can too. The food is mainly cafeteria style, so much of it is premade (like black beans). A waiter does serve you the dishes very quickly, and it is all good and fresh. It's a good place for friends and families who eat healthy, but may have those who are vegan, veggies and carnivores. I opt for the all white quarter chicken, with the barbecue sauce (it is a spicey sauce, not the bb&q your thinking of), black beans and onions, and the plain side salad. Decently priced.

Pros: quick, fresh, yummy
Cons: could be cleaner
JennOSide
JennOSide

Nachos!

4 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2010

The nachos are extremely vegetarian customizable which I love because they are delicious and I can split them between me, the bo and the kid. Their veg burger isn't bad but I always opt for the nachos...delish...lots of jalepenos and rice....yummm...so yeah, they aren't a vegetarian restaurant but they are veg friendly, inexpensive and yummy for the nachos.

Pros: Staff, Nachos, Price
Cons: No vegan options, Microwaved food
Smallu
Smallu

A for Effort

2 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

This is a big, lively, colorful place, but it has the feel of a cafeteria. I'm vegan so I was pretty well limited to the starter items, most of which are vegan or can be veganized. I had the black beans which were wonderful and a side of rice, which looked well-seasoned, but wasn't. I know that Nashville has limited veggie options, but this is one place that I don't have any need or desire to return to.

Pros: Big, bright, Parking, Vegan options
Cons: Limited Menu, Needs vegan entrees

Dear Owner and Manager of Calypso Cafe: