CLOSED: California Vegan

Casual, quick service vegan restaurant with an extensive menu offering Thai rice and noodle entrees, assorted curry, veggieburgers, stir frys, and many choices of meat-alternatives like soyfish, soychicken, soybeef, and tofu. Parking in lot and on street. Note: Some items contain egg, dairy, and/or honey. APR 2013 REPORTED SHUT AND CHANGE TO A RAMEN SHOP, PHONE NOT WORKING. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Thai, American, Take-out, Delivery
7300 W Sunset Blvd Ste A (Fuller between La Brea & Gardner)
Los Angeles, California 90046
323-874-9079

Open Mon-Sun 11am-10:30pm.

First Review by No1_Vegan_Goddess

never again

2 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2011

Went there with a party of 5, and everyone ordered something different. The consensus: pretty darned tasteless. The food was presented well, but it seriously lacked seasonings. The dishes didn't all come out at the same time; from first to last was a 5 minute difference. The restaurant itself needs a major sprucing up, as it's tired looking and needs a good cleaning. Most of the seats of the booths were ripped. With people dropping food and spilling drinks, it makes me wonder what's living in the cushions. The only bathroom was large, but dirty. [edit by staff - see ToS]

Pros: easy to find
Cons: tasteless food, needs a major cleaning

*Not* 100% Vegan

2 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2010

As another recent reviewer noted, California "Vegan" is in fact not a true vegan restaurant. Some of their sauces contain honey. The West LA location also sells products that contain eggs and dairy, and i'm not sure about this location, so be sure to ask.

When we last at there in 2008, the food was pretty good, but we won't eat there again as long as we can't trust that what we're eating is vegan.

Cons: Not ALL VEGAN, Not organic

Delicious soyfish!!

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2010

It was the first time I ever saw soyfish, or mock fish, and I tell you it was a memorable experience! Will never forget the awesomeness of it. Thanks California Vegan! Great menu options.

Pros: lots of options to choose from , MOCKFISH!!!, great friendly staff

Sweet

4 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2010

This is a nice vegan although I dont it seems their orange 'chicken' isnt vegan. you can also get your food to go if you dont feel like eating there. i got got the orange 'chicken' (before I found out it wasnt vegan!) it came with rice, salad with some kind of peanut butter dressing, an 'egg roll', soup w/ tofu and seaweed i think my friend called it miso soup...? my friend got the same but instead of orange 'chicken' it was some kind of spicy curry i think. He is not a vegan or vegetarian and he thought everything was great. The 'chicken' was alittle tough to bite, the peanut based salad dressing wasnt bad...just tasted different, and the tofu in the soup was alittle rubbery? I would definitely go back and try more of their food. The staff was also great. When I looked at the menu I had no idea what to order because i didnt really know what would be good or not and the lady that was working their helped me out and told me what was popular and everything that comes with what you order. I dont know how much everything cost because I didnt pay =P

Pros: great food, great service

Delicious!

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2010

I had their California wings and it was delicious!

I also had their desert banana spring roll thing with soy ice cream. Also great!

This was some of the tastiest food I've ever had.

The waitress was friendly, the atmosphere was fine, and the prices were certainly reasonable.

Only negative: I noticed on the bill I was charged a dollar more than what the menu said. I was in a rush so I didn't ask about it, I just counted it as part of my tip.

But on the whole, a great experience. Next time I'm in LA, I'm going back.

Decent

3 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2009

This was one of the first vegan Thai places we tried, so we were thrilled at the time, but we rarely go anymore. The last time we went, everything was okay, but both of us agreed that we'd probably go to a different Thai place in the future. Can't really place our finger on it...more of a feeling.

Pros: large menu, easy parking

The best food ever.

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2009

I've been eating out around LA until I found california vegan. I decided to go here seeing as how I've been vegan for almost seven years .I went on a Sunday evening with my friend and we arrived to a parking lot that had plenty of space for us! We entered the restaurant to find a cute decor that was inviting but perhaps could be uncomfortable if the restaurant became busy seeing as how there were only about seven or eight booths. The menu is expansive but mainly maintains and Asian influence. Although, there's no discrimination for crowd favorites such as pancakes ($4.95), BLT burgers ($5.95), and soy ice cream ($4.95).Iordered the Orange Chicken ($11.95) and loved it. You're more than welcome to order the Orange Chicken as an a la carte item for $9.95 but for two dollars more you get a spring roll, miso soup, salad, and brown rice. The miso soup is super tasty and the brown rice was just as good as fried rice but without all the grease! The Orange Chicken itself was fried soy with an orange glaze and arrived a little cold which is the only reason I knocked a star off. Perhaps they had to pre-prep the food seeing as how it's probably a popular dish and therefore the glaze made the crispy outside a little soggy. The spring roll was also excellent but I decided against eating the whole thing because as a picky eater I wasn't crazy that there are mushrooms in it.

My friend got the steak burger and said it was fantastic. The "fake steak" doesn't have a very appetizing appearance so make sure you are one of those amazingly fantastic people that can appreciate something for the taste and not factor in the appearance (a must for being a vegan). He enjoyed it and we even shared the french fries that were exactly that and a little bit more.

Overall I enjoyed, nay loved, California Vegan and will definitely return again for the environment, price, and tasty food! Also check out the front table that offers pamphlets and information of upcoming vegan/vegetarian events!

Pros: good service, excellent food

Indifferent...

3 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2009

I like this location, but as I said in my review regarding the second location, I'm not too happy with their food since the management change. I used to love the BLT, but it's not so good anymore, as they changed the "bacon". I wouldn't go out of my way, especially if you're from out of town, but if you're hungry and it's there...sure. Just be sure to ask if everything is Vegan, as I've heard that it's not fully Vegan anymore despite the name "California Vegan".

Yummy

4 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2008

Nice place and good vegan food. We had pad thai with seitan (seitan was not bad, a bit on the rubbery side), soup (delicious miso), salad (their peanut dressing rocks!), and chicken nuggets (a must to try if you go there). Our food arrived surprisingly fast and was hot and fresh. We will go back one day for sure.

Pros: vegan, big portions, affordable

Good food

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2008

Visited the Hollywood location for lunch. I ordered the orange chicken lunch special, was impressed with how much food was on my plate. Hubby ordered a chicken sandwich and side of fries. The service was ok, nothing to write home about. The food arrived quickly, hubby thought it might be premade and reheated but it was tasty. His burger was tasy, pretty average vegan chicken. The fries tasted very fresh and clean. The orange chicken was delicious, came with a nice helping of brown rice, 1 delicious egg roll, and side salad.

We left stuffed and satisfied. Had to pass on dessert this time.

Pros: Good variety, Quick service, Friendly staff

Ick... No taste!

2 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2008

My boss and I ordered from California Vegan,thinking it would be a flavorful healthy change for lunch,as he is a vegetarian and I am a vegan. It was horrid! Granted, the delivery service was very quick, but the food was flavorless and very greasy. I ordered the mock chicken Pad Se Ew with the raw Tony rolls, and he ordered the Kung Pao mock chicken lunch special. His Kung Pao was very, very tiny, not to mention that to his dismay, there were only 2 pieces of mock chicken. He said it was very greasy,and was flavorless.
My Pad Se Ew was probably the greasiest I ever had ( yuk) and the Tony rolls were filled with very VERY strong basil. They were awful. I mostly got greasy noodles and flavorless sauce, and the overcooked broccoli was slimy. We tried to call to complain, but no one really cared. Bulan Thai is a MUCH better choice for Thai Vegan!!

Pros: fast delivery
Cons: flavorless food, small portions , uncaring staff

we loved it

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2008

we had a great chinese vegan experience. we had the orange chicken. the salad had tasty dressing. everything does come very quick. staff very helpful. we went to the one on santa monica. our non-vegan friend LOVES this place.

ugh

2 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2008

Don't like to hate on any veggie restaurant, but this place is um, bad. Had the most rubbery seitan of all time. Following our meal, my eating companion suffered chest pains. Nice staff though.

Pros: the staff
Cons: the food

Awesome-- if you order the right stuff

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2008

California Vegan is generally good, but it's hit or miss. There's two of these that I know about, the one in Hollywood one is very casual, whereas the Santa Monica one is a little nicer. The Orange Chicken is really good, but the soy cheese is disgusting. Most of the stir fry dishes are really good, as are the soups. The tofu, in my opinion, is sliced a little thick. The ice cream is really yummy!

Pros: inexpensive, very quick service, great stir fry and chicken dishes
Cons: gross cheese

Good Service, Decent Food

3 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2007

Service is very friendly and quick, almost too quick (got my food while I went outside to grab something from my car - less than 5 mins!) so it made me wonder how fresh everything really was, especially since the miso soup was only lukewarm when they served it to me. Generous portions, will easily fill you up at less than $10. I had the Green Curry w/ Soy "Chicken" dinner special. Food was... decent, but very Americanized Thai at best so don't come in expecting an authentic Thai meal. I was dismayed that the curry was much too watery and rather flavorless, and the miso soup was too salty, leading me to think the cook didn't even sample the food before s/he dished it out. Parking is convenient - there is a lot. Experience wasn't horrible, but for how many other better vegan restaurants there are in LA, i likely won't be coming back.

Pros: good portions, friendly service, easy parking
Cons: flavors =(, freshness??

It's alright...

3 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2007

I've eaten here a few times, and wasn't very satisfied. The food was reasonably priced, but I've found all the food to be a bit bland with not enough flavor. Some of the mock meats were kind of rubbery and no too tasty.
Also, I've heard that their chicken has whey,and every time i've asked, they won't show me the ingredients, so i guess it would just be best to not get the chicken if your vegan.

Pros: well-priced
Cons: possibly not 100% vegan
Guest
Guest

Deliciously satisfying every time

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2007

Going to California Vegan has become at least a weekly event in my life. Although I'm not vegan, I absolutely love the feeling that comes with enjoying a delicious, nutritious meal that doesn't rely on harming or killing animals. I enjoy the great variety of choices at California Vegan -- and I especially like the orange chicken, the chicken satay and the wraps. The staff is very friendly, and the food is prepared right away and is usually at the table within five minutes. They also offer free delivery, which I've enjoyed on those lazy nights!

Pros: Yummy, lots of choices

Incredible vegan food

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2007

My husband I visited the Santa Monica Blvd location for lunch and it was spectacular. We had just flown in from NY and it was the first thing we did in California. I ordered the spicy eggplant lunch special and my husband had the Thai yellow curry. It was an awesome meal and I was full for hours after. The staff was very friendly. It was a great way to start our vacation.

Pros: excellent food, big portions, good value
Cons: I don't live closer

Deliciously Vegan...

4 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2006

This place rocks!! The food is TOTALLY vegan and DEEEE-LISH!! I've tried the "fish" plater (I can't remember the 'menu name' of the dish), one of the salads and a few other things that I can't remember, BUT, what I DO remember is that the food was darn-GOOD! From what I remember, there were no special or freshly-made beverages, just fountain drinks. It's probably changed by now. Anyways, the food is great, overall, so, if you get the chance, go in and grab a bite or two...

Pros: nice staff, nice-sized portions, NOT expensive!!
Cons: fountain-drinks, loads of soy on the menu

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: California Vegan: