CLOSED: CAI Cafe

Veggie buffet for around £5-8. NOV 2012 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Buffet, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
32 Goodge Street
London, England W1T 2QJ

Open Mon-Sat 12-5pm, 6pm-clsed, Sun all day.

• Cash only

First Review by Penn
itsmeagain
itsmeagain

excellent

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2012

A great place for a cheap, varied, vegan Chinese meal, Check out the salads and the endless tofu dishes it rocks here man.

Pros: food, taste, presentation
Tigra220
Tigra220

100% vegan asian buffet!

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

I never get to indulge in buffets without having to ask about an item's "veganess" or check labels, so I was like a kid in a candy store when I literally ran into the doors at CAI on 27Jun12. It was rather late and I was grateful that they were still open, with food. Even though the food was sitting out (as it does in a buffet), it was hot and it didn't have that stale, been-sitting-out-too-long taste. I took my meal to go, and the man was very nice and helpful (he helped me close my barely closing to-go box). I would recommend a visit, and I plan on returning.

Pros: 100% vegan buffet, inexpensive

Zedster
Zedster

Cheap, tasty, greasy, Chinese buffet

4 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

Like the review title says, this is a nice place to get decent veg Chinese food. For £3.50 you can get a "small" (read: one well-portioned meal) take out box filled with whatever you can cram into it from the buffet. Otherwise, sit-down lunch (until 5 PM) is £5.90 for all-you-can eat. The faux meats were good--I had to double-check the sign to make sure it said "Vegetarian" when I saw the shrimp skewers and lamb curry. Far from being a hole in the wall, the inside is nice: statues, dark wood tables and chairs, and dark green walls.

I got a take-out box. My only complaint is that the food is a bit too greasy and salty for my taste--especially the salt. I don't tend to eat that much salt, so others may not find issue with this. I would recommend this as a good place to bring omni-friends who also enjoy greasy Chinese food. They'll be pleasantly surprised that veg eating can be just as filling and tasty as their diet ;)

Pros: Cheap, Nice decor, good variety
Cons: Greasy, A bit too salty
Aya
Aya

Yummy!

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

As I do not go to London often, whenever I am there I always indulge myself into yummy junk food at CAI Cafe (well, not everything there is junk food, there are vegetables there, too ;). It's quite a small place, but the atmosphere is very nice.

Pros: Yummy food, Good location
Dula
Dula

Fried chinese food

4 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

If you like greasy fried chinese food, cheap all you can eat - this is the place for you. Tasty food (junk food), ideal for cheap quick lunch.

Pros: cheap
Cons: everything is fried
tash
tash

...

4 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

I think if you are reading these reviews before choosing to eat somewhere in London, then you need to figure out what kind of vegan you are. If you are from the Gillian McKeith school of thought and just want to eat bland beansprouts or something then don't go here, but if you are like me and my boyfriend (and pretty much every vegan I know) and think greasy Chinese food is one of the best things in life then definitely go here. I do think it's weird that you are charged extra for 'service' at a buffet but it's still cheap, most other vegan places in London are of the expensive/raw variety. I'd rather pay £7 for hot fake meat dishes and fried noodles than £15 for a main course of a small bowl of pasta made from ribboning raw courgettes, so again if you think the same...go crazy. My boyfriend ate 6 plates. Oh and they have mock duck pancakes which some of the other London buffets don't have, amazing.

Pros: greasy, fried, fake meat
Guest
Guest

Fried junk food

2 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2011

A lot of these thai buffet shops have now closed and i can see why. The food is mostly fried, greasy and the service is a disgrace. The price includes service which is strange considering it is sefl service. Junk food at a typical junk price.

Cons: High Fat, Fried, Junk
suzemiller
suzemiller

Don't Go

2 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2011

The food was terrible. Almost everything was fried and not well, either. It was a seemingly endless buffet of terrible, greasy choices and we ended up eating very little. If the price seems tempting, remember you get what you pay for. In this case the food isn't inexpensive, it's cheaply prepared. Only eat here if you don't respect your stomach.
This place gives veganism a bad name.
p.s. they are so lucky the lowest rating is two cows. i tried to give them zero.

Pros: cheap, fast
Cons: gross, greasy, unhealthy
beitme
beitme

buffet worthy of commendation

4 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2010

Economy is the highlight here. The buffet selection is just like other low-end vegetarian eateries in London (perhaps the phenomenon is more widespread?). There's a wide selection of good, hot food. This latter attribution - hot food - serves to distinguish this buffet from others. All-in-all a good place to eat at.

Pros: wide selection, good food, economical
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

awesome!

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

this was the best vegan chinese buffet i had while in london. super selection of all different chinese food. i went back up to the buffet like 5 times and stuffed myself. so good!

VeganBride.com
VeganBride.com

INCREDIBLE SELECTION!!

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2010

Wow! While on vacation, this place is like vegan heaven! Could believe the wide array of styles & dishes available. Everything from a vegan "shrimp" & broccoli platter, (didn't try the shrimp because it's just "not my thing", but was still impressed it was there) sea veggie platters (expensive stuff!) bamboo shoots salad (loved it) string bean salad (also very good!) all sorts of mock meats (I also don't eat these & was quite full w/the 20 other things I had....) Definitely worth traveling out of your way for this impossibly priced (5.50 pounds for lunch, 6.50 for dinner)- all you can eat buffet in a very quaint locale & fabulous neighborhood! A 2 minute walk from the Goodge St. tube & a definite walk into the spectacular. Even though i didn't love EVERYTHING I tried...enough of it was fantastic to make this place a real winner- even the inexpensive tea (1.5 pounds - I felt the need to buy a drink so they could make SOME money!) was made w/REAL FLOWERS. Just fantastic... :)

Pros: cheap, WIDE selection of foods, all you can eat
Cons: not the healthiest fare, didn't like the "starch dishes" so much
pollypapas
pollypapas

Fantastic

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2009

I loved the wide selection of fresh Asian foods on the buffet, some dishes were recognisable others were new to me, all were delicious. You can go up as many times as you please. Great value.

Pros: diverse selection, delicious tasting, good value
Bow
Bow

Good value oriental junk food

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2009

This is a good place for a quick but filling pit-stop. The food is great value and you can eat as much as you like of whatever you like on the buffet. The food is very greasy and salty, so I tend to come here for lunch, fill up, and then have a salad or similar for dinner to cleanse. Lots of mock meat dishes and not much for dessert. Most of the time I'm not in the mood, but every now and then I am, and when I am, I come and always enjoy. Everyone else I know who has been here - a mixture of omnis, vegetarians and vegans - likes it too. Perhaps the best thing of all is that everything is vegan so you don't have to keep checking. A good place to try dishes that sounded intriguing but weren't vegetarian in other oriental restaurants.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Filling
Cons: Greasy, salty, Not much for dessert
Ruby X
Ruby X

Yummy, but not healthy

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2009

My boyfriend and I went here for dinner after an exhausting day of shopping. When we arrived, we saw the big piles of yummy looking food, and there was no doubt in are mind that this was the place to eat.

For drinks, I had a guava juice, which tasted like a cocktail. Very yummy! My boyfriend had Chinese green tea, which came with free refills. It was a little bland though.

The food itself was very yummy, but quite greasy. There were a lot of mock meat dishes, like 'fake duck' and 'fake beef'. I didn't try them, so I don't know if they're any good.
The options for dessert was also somewhat limited: a pineapple salad, raisins and sweet dough balls.

It was very cheap: 6.5 pounds for the whole buffet. There was also a take away option, which cost 3.5 pounds. You got to fill the box yourself, so you could stuff it good :)

The waitress was a little pushy when potential customers arrived, which might bother or scare off some people. She was very nice to us, though, and even brought us a pancake.

Pros: yummy food, cheap!
Cons: very greasy, lot of mock meat
chewybaws
chewybaws

Nice

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2009

Me and a friend went just before 6pm on Sat 18th April. We were greeted by a friendly waitress, but we found it hard to make out what she was saying.

We were seated right away, we were the only people there (but a few more groups showed up over the next 10-15 mins).

The buffet was split into hot/cold and there was a fruit bowl dessert. The place was very clean and stylish, the food was well presented. I really enjoyed the food from the hot section, but didn't like anything from the cold (i was trying a bit of everything). Was decently priced.

Pros: Hot food was good =], Good price, Friendly service
Cons: Cold food wasn't great, Couldn't understand the waitress
Penn
Penn

NOM NOM

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2008

This is my favorite vegan restaurant as its the perfect balance of great service, great price, great food and great portions!! Its not the best food ive had, but for the price and the amount it is!!! I love this place, go there!!

Pros: Awesome food, Amazing varity , Price is perfect
Cons: not a large drinks menu.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: CAI Cafe: