Caffellatte

Ristorante vegetariano. Small vegetarian restaurant cafe and latteria. Serves homestyle cooking. Brunch all day. Open hours sometimes changes, so call ahead. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Italian

First Review by Stevie
a sweet vegan
a sweet vegan

I wish I had seen the reviews

2 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

I made a list of all the vegetarian restaurants in Florence but I did not take the time to read the reviews. How I wish I did. I will certainly do so in the future. I agree with everything said in previous reviews. Our experience was the same. I don't know how this woman could stay in business so long. The food is horrible. As already said, the only vegan option was a quiche that was cold and hard and had no taste. The serving was tiny. Her hand written menu said she would serve tap water but when I asked for it, she made believe she did not know what I was talking about until I pointed to her own note on the menu. An Italian diner told me that their family asked for tap water but she brought them bottled water anyway. My husband ordered a glass of wine and it was the smallest glass I have ever seen served in Europe. She insisted that we try the vegan cake. It was tasteless . I truly can make much better food at home without any effort. She was not nice at all. Actually cranky. There was only one family in the restaurant other than us and they ordered coffee. When we went to pay the bill, we were astounded. As already stated , she added one euro to the price of everything listed and said it was a service charge . I have never heard of a service charge being added to every item ordered. She was defensive about the bill because I presume many others have complained. I certainly felt cheated. The bill was outrageous and we both left starved. It was not a pleasant experience. I recommend that you do not try this restaurant . Anything or nothing would be better. I cannot think of one pro.

Pros: None
Cons: the food, the owner, the prices and quantities
GreenGarnet
GreenGarnet

not recommendable

2 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2013

This place I found accidently and was fascinated by its nostalgic ambience. The owner is an old woman. I was surprised that she directly offered English and French as her foreign languages, but it became clear within the first minute that she is a bit crabby. But anyway, I read something about "vegan cake" outside the cafe and liked to eat something sweet, so I went in. She was warming up the cake in a small oven and afterwards the cake got a fruit purée topping. It looked wonderful, but I was confused, when she served not only a pastry folk but also a knife ...
The knife was really too blunt to get through this kind of something, that you could not call "cake". The taste was not so good as well, it was really disappointing.
Because I am an honest person, but I would not like to be rude, I told the woman, that it was "nice" (not really true), but that it was difficult to eat because it was quite hard. Then she said something like "yes of course, there is no milk, no egg, nothing inside..." And this was the point, where I was asking myself, why she is serving vegan cake then, when she has no clue of baking it. I got even more angrier, when she told me, that this wooden piece of baked dough should cost 5 euros. I finished our talk with telling her, that it`s normally no problem to prepare fluffy vegan cakes!
Two cows is the lowest possible voting...

Pros: pretty nostalgic atmosphere
Cons: crubby owner, expensive, not able to bake cake
Laitcannelle
Laitcannelle

Just excellent !

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

Contrary to the notices precedent, this restaurant will remain for us one of best remembers of our stay in Italy, thanks to the user-friendliness(conviviality) of this small restaurant and its warm welcome.
The proposed dishes are certainly a few, but are in perfect adequacy with the theme of the restaurant. Ingredients are of quality and the generous portions. The cook knew how to describe us his dish(flat) simply and even if his recipe(takings) was very family, we knew what to expect. This nice atmosphere returned our meal more pleasant than the other more tourist places.
All the meals are fresh and home-made, special mention to the cinnamon milk we deeply recommended.
The service is made with the smile, the cooker took time to discuss with us.
We deeply recommend this establishment and would return to it with pleasure, whether it is for the cooking or for the welcome(reception).

Pros: quality, reception, originality
Cons: choice
Sarayna
Sarayna

Closed for summer until 31 August

3 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

Just tried to go here today and found it is closed for the holidays until 31 August so watch out if you were planning to go to.

Previous review from last year:
I came here intending to have dinner in September, but they only had one or two things to eat other than the cakes so it's more like a cafe. Looked like a nice place for a coffee and cake though, but then I guess you don't need a vegetarian cafe for that - surprised to hear teh cakes aren't vegan from the reviews below.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 27, 2010

Pros: Nice atmosphere for tea+cake
Cons: Only a couple of meals available
mojri
mojri

Trapped

2 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

Should have read the reviews before we got to Caffellatte. Breakfast for two cosrted almost 50 euros. Food was ok, not good. The woman spoke English quite well ans was somewhat friendly. At least it was funny to read similar stories from here... :-)

AlyssaMiller
AlyssaMiller

Not great

2 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

I am very easy going, so I am very quick to give people a second chance. The staff was very rude to me the first day, one woman wouldn't even talk to me because I didn't know enough Italian. The food was okay, but not great.
I assumed okay, everyone has a bad day and didn't hold it against them.

The second time I went here, again the staff was rude and the food was horrible.

There are only 2 vegan options. Vegan quiche or cake. The quiche was really spicy, I could barely eat it. The cake was just bad. I've made better at home.

Cons: rude staff, bad food/no options, expensive
Signal
Signal

We felt conned

2 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2012

The owner was reasonably friendly and the atmosphere/decor was attractive, so we liked the place and did our best to enjoy ourselves despite the food being the worst we have eaten anywhere in Italy (the quiche that others have mentioned).

But then added 1 euro for every item brought to the table (including drinks) and we felt completely ripped off. Even if the food were good, which it was not, the prices were astronomical. The worst value for anywhere I have ever eaten, and the owner was unembarrassable! She knew very well what she was doing and we clearly were not the irst people to be completely shocked.

It was our worst experience in Italy, so avoid it if you want to enjoy a holiday there!

It also gives a terrible impression of what it means to be vegetarian to non-vegetarians! The happy cow system says the lowest rating I can give for a vegetarian restaurant is 2 stars. This makes the points given here very very misleading. I would give this place zero as it gives vegetarians a bad name, and rips off vegans who can eat cheaper and better anywhere else in the city.

Pros: Decor
Cons: High prices, low food quality, hidden charges
monteiro1
monteiro1

Worst resturant in Florence

2 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

Worst food I've ever eaten in my life. The owner also added 1 Euro to each dish served at the table. We found many standard Italian resturants in Florence which were far superior for both vegetarian and vegan food. Avoid unless you want to be ripped off.

Cons: Food, Service
Veganrich
Veganrich

No Happy Cows Here!

2 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2011

First Warning: gray cardboard menu
Second Warning: only vegan item was quiche
Third Warning: owner was rude with one of our group
Fourth Warning: quiche was bland, cold, and obviously microwaved
Heed the Warnings and don't eat here!

wormcast
wormcast

REALLY bad. Avoid!

2 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2011

The worst restaurant I've been to yet, vegetarian or otherwise. My error was in not realizing that Happy Cow ratings start at a minimum of two stars.The food was worse than bland - the only seasoning used in our 'quiches' was salt, and there was far too much of it (and I love salty food...). They were covered with an icing that had no flavor or taste whatsoever - not even salty or sweet. Despite the small portion size, if we hadn't been starving my wife and I would not have been able to finish them. My cafe fredo (ice coffee) was watery, room-temperature, small, and turned out to cost FIVE euro (about $7.50), about double the going rate. Overall, our bill was about double what it would have been at any other cafe, all for a meal that I would probably have paid to avoid having to eat.

The woman who made and served the food was slow, unfriendly, and weird. I agree completely with the other reviewers who concluded that this place is out to rip-off tourists (presumably the locals have learned to avoid it by now) and should be avoided.

Summary: very bad food, bad atmosphere, criminal prices. Do not eat here!

Pros: none
Cons: bad food, extremeley overpriced, unfriendly service
Flora Fleming
Flora Fleming

Avoid!

2 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2010

In Florence on a week long break in late November, we went to a lot of trouble to find this place, and just wish we had taken some trouble to read the reviews first. We waited 40 minutes to be served, although there were only three other customers present with two of those being together. Just as we were about to give up and leave, the owner took our order. Being assured that both the soup and quich were vegan, and feeling cold and very hungry, we asked for both. The soup was a watered down, stone cold, plate of something green with no flavour whatsoever to give any clues as to its ingredients. No bread was served with the 'soup'. The quich was laughable: mine, a "mixed vegetable" variety apparently, was a very small, very thin, slice of something that looked like it might contain some vegetable matter but which, like the soup, had absolutely no taste at all. My husband had chosen the tomato variety and, although his slice was even thinner than mine (a tremendous feat in itself), it at least did have some taste - of salt. The quich slices were served on teaplates and still managed to look insignificant. All of this, together with one coffee (cold) and one small glass of juice cost a staggering 35 euros. A total rip-off and it should be pointed out that prices were NOT on display. Anyway, had the whole bill come to 5 euros, we still wouldn't have gone back. That night, we had dinner at Dolce Vegan and THAT was a delight.

Cons: poor service, dreadful food, extortionate prices
Jonathan Smith
Jonathan Smith

Sadly not very good

2 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2010

Miniscule portions of food served at hugely inflated prices. There are extra charges which don't appear on the menu. Lunch for two people - an exceedly small portion of vegan quiche with no garnish, a stale cake dessert and coffee came to €44! You will leave feeling fleeced and hungry.

Pros: None
Cons: Charges not transparent, Bad food, Small portions
Serval
Serval

Good, but it could be better

3 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2009

When I was a vegetarian I used to come here very often and, especially, I couldn't stop enjoying the "Bretone", a cake made with a special cow milk cream, I couldn't stop to court that cake... But since I completely stopped eating animal products I realized that here the vegan options weren't numerous. Of course there is always something vegan to eat, but not much, maybe also because the owner/female cook never uses soy milk or rice milk. Here you can usually find only one vegan option in the cakes menu ( usually made of fruits and pine nuts with jam, very good), only one vegan option in the quiches menu ( very good), and two vegan options in the soups menu. The portions could be bigger ( since the prices are not that cheap!) and, even if all the dishes are home-made, they are not always organic. The atmosphere is very nice ( and it's also in the historical centre of Florence), but, if you need to go the toilet and whas your hand, pay attention to the soap, I guess it's not vegan and it's not cruelty free at all.
My opinion about "Caffélatte" is good, but, if the owner wanted, could be even better. Because if you're a vegan and you're looking for a large ( and exquisite) variety of meals, go to "Tropponais", always here in Florence.

Defenestrated
Defenestrated

I should have read the reviews

2 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2009

I was very disappointed with this place. We came in and looked at the menu. After being persuaded to sit down, we placed an order. I ordered 2 Quiche (10 Euro), 1 glass of water (2 Euro), 1 small order of bread (1.50 Euro) and a cup of tea (? Euro). The food was fine. The bill came to 27.50! After my initial confusion and recounting the meal, I was confused. Here I thought we were finally sitting down for a light and inexpensive snack in this expensive town and it was wildly expensive. I was told of the 5 Euro fee that was tacked on. To which I responded, "you invited us to sit and made no mention of that". After all is said and done, the tea cost me 10 Euro ($15 American! for a cup of tea!). She explained to me that is was special tea and organic. In reality she lied and ripped me off. She seemed nice at first, but I felt scammed in the end. I actually have a hard time putting someone down, especially a hard working person, but she took advantage of someone who came a long way and supported her establishment in a town where vegetarianism is pretty non-existent. Plus, the portion was quite small. I would understand if it was an entire pie of quiche. Oh well.

Pros: Location, One of few veggie places in Florence
Cons: Lack of choice, Rip-off service fee, Overcharges
nomi
nomi

Biggest tourist trap EVER

2 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2009

we came to this place after receiving reports praising the cakes we decided to have lunch here.
to make a long story short, the menu is dubious, the food is BAD, is in small portions.
However, non of this compares to the minute you are ready to pay the bill.
Turns out for EVERY dish, including beverages that are ordered, an additional 1 Euro is added.
This is in addition to a cover charge and to overpriced dishes!!!
Do not walk in here, or, if you do, make sure you only stop to ask direction to the nearest place worthy of your money and appetite.
You deserve better then this.

Pros: good cakes
Cons: rip off, over priced, bad food
aFormerClarity
aFormerClarity

not vegan!

2 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2009

They don't even have vegan milk-alternatives. Expensive as well with a coffe served at the table (cafe al tavola) going for 2€.

Pros: nice environment
Cons: expensive, no vegan alternatives
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

do not go here even if starving

2 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2009

I really don't want to do this, the owners seem well intentioned and everything, but I really felt like barfing the second we got our food. There was a fly that jumped from my quiche to my gf's soup and drown. The bites we took around him were so bland and disgusting that we just paid and left. I'm seriously not going to be able to think about food for many days. You're better off just going into any place and trying to order egg free paste in red sauce. There are too many fabulous vegan friendly restaurants in Florence to ever go here. If you are really quirky and want a completely wacko experience then go here for the novelty of it all. We might as well have lit 15 Euro's on fire. Gross / digusting / possibly unclean / etc. do not go here.

Cons: gross
  • gr8vegan gr8vegan

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

• francesco francesco

dear gr8vegan

i am the son of the owner of the shop that you criticize... i often eat theare the same soup or the same caketart that my mother will serve to you.Flies go evrywheare, they are free to jump also in your meal..once i was in hollydays and a fly enter in my ear and i went to the doctor for take that fly away from my body..so why you do not says that to the waiter??if you show your meal with a dead fly ,they change that meal.
    you can dislike what you want for suare and you are free like the fly to do that....
    my mother prefer to change a meal wheare theare is a fly that change all the atmospheare with a fly killer product.you make a mistake when you pay for that meal,i never pay for something that i can't eat for evident reasons.

excuse for my english
    best wishes from florence

francesco

glam1
glam1

peaceful haven

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2008

after searching for a while, on the same street and number, but on the wrong place, we found this place on a hot afternoon in july. the old lady who runs the cafe immediately took care of us, and soon we were both calmer and cooler.
the meals served were not big, but in Italy they seldom are. we shared three plates on two persons and finished with a slice of home baked cake. all food here has a delightful home- cooked quality to it and I didn't mind paying for it. if you are hungry, you'd better choose something more filling, like a ribbolita. I had a cheesepie, which was light to eat but kept me going until late. I absolutely didn't feel ripped off in any way, and I left this place relaxed and rested, which was priceless on that day.

Pros: nice food, great service, relaxing and calm
Cons: small, italian portions, not cheap
JBUK
JBUK

Tiny expensive poor

2 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2008

My daughter and I chanced upon this cafe off the beaten track. It looked cosy and funky, however we were very disappointed by the meal which was very overpriced and small. The old lady who served us was very rude and pointed at the menu saying that I should have read the prices. We were charged E 24 for a small dish of melted cheese and a small piece of Rice omlette plus 2 orange juices - no salad or veg to go with the food. We left hungry and unhappy feeling "ripped off".

Pros: decor, music
Cons: price, food, money greedy ethos
  • Gianpaolo1977 Gianpaolo1977

Do you really think that organic products are cheap like a Mc Donalds? Come on! She uses only fresh milk from the cows of the Maremma for example, this is not cheap, but it is a real high quality product.
    Ok, the lady running this restaurant is a little rude, but if you try to talk with her she shows her true charakter. If you go there with the typical expectation of an american tourist, yes, then you will be disapointed, but if you leave this path you will find a nice place.
    Concerning the prices...in this point she was right that you have to take a look at the menu BEFORE ordering, or do you always choose whatever without knowing the price??

Stevie
Stevie

Caffelatte, Florence

2 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2007

The lady who runs this place is very friendly and works very hard (open long hours) to try to keep the business afloat. I'd like to say more good things about this place as the lady is so nice; However in terms of what you get for your cash I can't recommend this place to anyone who is trying to manage on any kind of economy budget. I had a good sized portion of soup to start with but the quiche that was served up after didn't last very long at all. For a place that is vegan veggie friendly it is surprising that she doesn't offer soya milk to go with tea or coffee. The building started off as a butcher's in the 19th century. Then it became a milk shop in 1920. It's now a vegetarian cafe with the owner still running the milk selling business.

Pros: Nice staff, Open long hours, Vegan veggie friendly
Cons: Not the cheapest, Not the biggest portions

Dear Owner and Manager of Caffellatte: