CLOSED: Caffe Orientale...

Charming tearoom cafe with an extensive selection of black and green teas and a small, mostly vegan selection of soups, salads, vegan apple pie, vegan apple strudel and other light dishes. Also serves other hot and cold beverages, plus non-vegan cakes and cookies. SEPT NOTE: IT'S CLOSED FOR RENOVATION, UNSURE IF WILL RE-OPEN AS SAME RESTAURANT OR NOT. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Italian, Beer/Wine
Rio Marin, S. Croce 888
Venice, Italy 30135
0415201789

Open Mon-Wed, Fri-Sat 12-9pm.

• Cash only

First Review by Joyatri
Flynn
Flynn

Lovely little place

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

I went here with my girlfriend in February, we went around lunch time but the dishes (a few simple lunch options, all at about 10 EUR each) were slightly too expensive for our budget. We decided to have coffee and cake, but there were no vegan cakes, however the lovely owners invited us back the next day and promised they would have a vegan cake. So we went back, and had great coffee with a nice apple strudel, and chatted with the lovely couple who own the place. This might not sound like a typically great experience, but it was probably our nicest in Venice. This place is limited, but for a tea and cake break, it's perfect, and if you let them know you're coming they'll make sure they have something vegan. Worth visiting

Pros: Friendly Staff, Nice Setting, Great Selection of Teas
Cons: Don't always have vegan cake
hokusai77
hokusai77
+2074

A hidden gem

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2013

Whenever I go to Venice I never miss this place. You've got it all: classical music in the background, turquoise green walls with animal pictures in gaudy colours, low lights, and a wide selection of teas: white, green, black, and oolong teas are on display on the wooden shelves and listed on the menu. The choice is always difficult, even though I usually go for a Japanese gyokuro. The dishes are mostly vegan, mainly from the Tuscan tradition, such as barley salad with beans and vegetables, pappa al pomodoro, panzanella in Summmer and ribollita (a kale stew) in Winter. Last time I had a couscous with vegetables, peas and coconut sauce. There is also a good selection of British-inspired cakes and baked products, but usually none of them is vegan. Only once I was particularly lucky to find a vegan fruit cake. Anyhow they can bake them upon reservation.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 18, 2013

Pros: nice atmosphere, friendly staff, good food and tea
Cons: no vegan cakes
avokadomania
avokadomania

Nice place.

4 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2013

Due to the fact that in Venice there are only two 100% vegetarian restaurants, Tearoom is worth a visit. Owner was very kind, the soup I ordered (Ribollita) was quite good. The only drawback was that they didn't have any vegan desserts during my visit(: Here it's written "vegan apple pie, vegan apple strudel", actually, they have all this things with eggs or butter, vegan desserts are available, but not every day, as I was told.
Anyway I'd like yo return there to try another soup!
Updated from previous review on Friday December 28, 2012

Pros: a wide selection of teas, fresh soups, very cosy and charmful interior design
Cons: no vegan desserts in regular menu, no salads

Ksiu
Ksiu

Ordinary tea room

3 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

We did not find this place so good as previous reviewers. Yes, it is well located. The owners are friendly. The cafe provides vast variety of teas, much less than the variety of foods. besides, food options are pricey. For instance, the soup costs EUR 10. Yeah, it is Venice but still... 5 options of desserts are also not that much. Still, the owners are very helpful and talkative, the atmosphere is cozy, and the desserts are tasty.

Pros: Satff, Location
Cons: High prices, Few food options
Ines_000
Ines_000

How I like to eat

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

I found this restaurant on the happycow-website before I went to Venice the following weekend. And I have to say: Thank God!
I really enjoyed eating there. The service was friendly and the chef herself did get our orders. They do speak perfect english by the way.
i ate the Chickpea-soup, my mom ate the tomato-soup and my aunt did go for the pancakes with vegetables (not vegan-theres was cheese in it).
I always enjoy it, when I can choose what to eat and not just take a look into the menu an check off what I can't eat.

I also liked the paintings on the wall :-) we tried to name all the animal! :-))

I surely will go to Venice for a third time, because I love the city. AND I will visit the Tearoom in Rio Marin ;-)
And maybe I get around to go to the Indian Restaurant which is also featured on this website.

Pros: excellent food, nice staff, easy to find
Phoegan12
Phoegan12

Beauty divine

3 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

Easy to find, husband & wife run- woman is english, menu in english, so many different varieties of teas- creative combinations. Had a summer spelt salad with vegetables- warm, it was fabulous, delicious one of my favourite dishes ive had throughout italy.Great atmosphere with paintings & beautiful coloured lights, very warm looking place. Vegan bread was delicous too. Great spot by the water, pity it wasnt daylight to enjoy it. Very nice place & would recommend to any vegetarian or vegan. & recently they have brought a new VEGAN dessert to the menu an apple pie- trying tomorrow...

Pros: Beautiful food, Friendly Owners, All home made
Cons: About 5 choices for savoury, Very expensive, Small portion size
veggiepie
veggiepie

Wonderful and friendly place

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2012

Such a wonderful place to find on a cold January evening. Quiet, pretty with a huge range of tea and wonderfully huge hot chocolate! The owner spoke wonderful English and explained the few soups on offer, there were about six on offer with the most amazing taste. These were served with home-made bread...a speciality from the owner. The walls are adorned with amazing art from the owner. We had wonderful advice as to what to see during our short winter break there. Do search out this place as it is a sweet tea-room with amazing soups!!!

Pros: Cheap, Quiet, Friendly
Cons: Limited menu
apekay
apekay

delightful find

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2012

We were very happy to find this quaint tearoom next to a canal. It made for a very relaxing lunch. The vegan soup and lentil curry were delicious and the rosemary bread was phenomenal. I think we could have have eaten it all day. Lovely bright colored artwork of animals. This made for a really delightful break in the day. The owners were extremely warm. English menus were available.

CliveJulia
CliveJulia

Cosy retreat

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

We were lucky that this Tearoom was close enough to our hotel for us to find it in the dark ! Once there, the owners were extremely friendly & helpful, ensuring that our choice of soups were Vegan (i.e. they didn't add cheese).
Although not a huge choice of food there (it is a Tearoom, after all...), we did find it difficult to choose which soups to have - they all sounded so nice !! I had the Ribollita, which was a gorgeous Tuscan bean soup & my partner had the Zuppa di Ceci, made with chickpeas. Neither of us left a drop ! Go there for hearty, non-pretentious food in a very quiet, peaceful & relaxing atmosphere. If you do go, maybe suggest that they make the Tearoom more eye-catching from the outside.

Pros: Food tasted great, Relaxing, Lovely owners
fearless
fearless

vege food in venice

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2011

This little tearoom provides a quiet and calming escape from the more 'touristy' aspects of Venice. We had lunch and dinner there which enabled us to sample all of the soups and a couple of the desserts. All were very tasty and healthy. Owners were very friendly and helpful in explaining whether there was any dairy/eggs in each dish - there were plenty of vegan options.
They had chicory coffee available for people who don't have caffeine. They thought I was a little crazy drinking an espresso at 7pm :-)

Pros: cheap, great service, relaxing atmosphere
Joyatri
Joyatri

A canal-side treasure!

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2011

Vegan eating is not the easiest in Venice and we were thrilled when we stumbled upon this tearoom. In addition to offering 40 different green and black teas, all of the 4 dishes available were either vegan or veganizable (one normally comes with cheese on top): panzenella (salad of tomatoes, onions, basil and country bread); pappa al pomodoro (tomato and bread soup); cous cous with chickpeas and vegetables; and a warm spelt salad with vegetables. All were a bargain at 6 euros each. We had the spelt salad, cous cous, and a portion of freshly baked flatbread seasoned with salt and rosemary (3 euros). All were delicious.

The tearoom is an oasis of calm in bustling Venice. The decor is lovely with large windows overlooking the canal. The owners were attentive and charming. Open from noon to 9pm, the cafe is ideal for lunch, tea, or a light dinner.

The home-baked cakes (4 euros) looked yummy, but unfortunately were not vegan. However, we were told that this might change if there was a demand - so if you go and are vegan, let Elena and Francesco know!

Pros: creative cuisine, extensive tea selection, open day and evening
Cons: no vegan cakes -- yet, only takes cash

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Caffe Orientale Tearoom: