Serves meat, veg options available. Small bistro-style outdoor cafe. Food can be made vegan upon request. Pasta bella (penne with gorgonzola cream sauce), tofu veggie peanut wrap, pastries, desserts. Honey is used as sweetener. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Take-out, American, Hawaiian, Non-veg
4-369 Kuhio Hwy (/on Kauai)
Wailua, Hawaii 96746
808-822-7990

Open Mon-Sun 5-9pm.

First Review by shaz
KellyMeredith
KellyMeredith

The Vegetarian Gem of Kauai

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2014

We ate here our first night and our last.......and should have eaten here every night in between!!! The night we flew in, we were tired and not too hungry so came here for appetizers. The pot stickers were to die for......and the sweet potato samosa's and pumkin soup were super deliciious as well. Throughout the week we went to various other "veg friendly" places and their idea of creating a vegearian dish was serving vegetables and rice with a block of tofu stuck on top. Very disappointing. So on our last night here we headed back and I was sooo hoping that their main dishes were as good as their appetizers. They did not disappoint!!! OMG, the Coconut MacNut Tofu was absolutely amazing!!!! It had the texture and flavor of a perfectly done fish without having to kill anything! It was so flavorful.....yumi.....And we had a vegan brownie w/bananna chocolate ice cream for dessert. Best vegan meal I've ever had in a restaurant--even better than Millennium in SF. And there was live music to boot which added to the whole island vibe. Perfect way to end our 8 day venture in Kauai! Don't foreget....it's a BYOB place.

Pros: Delicious vegan fare., Live music., Super friendly staff.
Cons: BYOB--not really a con, it's cheaper!
njhassinger945
njhassinger945

Amazing vegan and gluten free options!

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2014

My girlfriend and I ventured out to this slightly hidden gem and were more than happy with the food and overall experience. We were greeted right away by who we found out later was indeed the owner and the chef of the night. Everything from the cozy and welcoming ambiance to the energetic and bouncy young host it was a terrific experience. The staff was super friendly and the owner actually came to our table to see how our meal was which is a rarity, but much appreciated. Being vegan and gluten free can sometimes be a struggle especially while travelling, but that was not the case here. The entire menu including desserts are mostly vegan and gluten free. My gf had the Coco-Mac nut tofu and I had the Moroccan inspired dish with a purple sweet potato samosa and both dishes were absolutely delicious. I also indulged in the pot stickers and they were probably the best I've ever had, the sauce was amazing! The desserts were terrific as well, chocolate chip cookies, homemade mint chip ice cream (made with real mint), banana bread, and carrot cake. We will probably have a stomach ache, but it will all be worth it! I'm sure we will be coming back again tomorrow after a long day of zip lining. Thanks again for the amazing food and wonderful hospitality. They also had good live music that was non invasive and accompanied the chill environment. The restaurant is BYOB and many were hip to this already, but now we are prepared for tomorrow!

Pros: vegan and gluten free, friendly staff, great ambiance
ruisenor
ruisenor

Excellent spot in Kapaa

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

My husband and I ate here three times during our visit to Kauai. This is an excellent restaurant that serves organic dishes and numerous vegetarian options. Of the main dishes, each dish has a vegetarian complement. My husband is a vegetarian, and he had all the same options I did for food. I highly recommend the jerk chicken or jerk tofu with sweet potato. It was one of the most flavorful/interesting dishes I have had in a long time. The sweet potato samosa is also excellent. The restaurant is a BYOB, but their homemade drinks are excellent. We tried the Thai iced tea and the Tahitian lemonade, both served with coconut milk.

Pros: Great outdoor seating, Numerous vegetarian/vegan options
canadianveggie
canadianveggie

Best vegetarian selection

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2013

A quaint vegetarian and seafood restaurant hidden off the road in Kapaa. They have the most vegan/vegetarian menu items of any restaurant in Kauai. We really enjoyed the Coconut Macnut Tofu, Vietnamese Summer Rolls, and Thai Curried Pumpkin Soup. The Purple Sweet Potato Samosa was disappointing – it’s just mashed taro in a pastry shell. It could use some texture and spices.

Pros: selection, outdoor patio
Joe_rev
Joe_rev

Good veg menu

3 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

It was great to find a place that knew the word vegan. Owner is really nice and the place has a great atmosphere. Be sure to get the veggie samosa.

Food was a bit on the bland side, but it will definitely be a place we return to if we visit Kauai again.

Pros: Veg Menu, Veg samosa, Nica atmosphere

MichalPB
MichalPB

amazing delicious food!!!!!

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

My husband and I ate there this evening and the food is absolutely delicious and creative!!! Do not miss this place !!!! It is wonderful !!!!

The pumpkin soup is heavenly and the samosa was great too! Many vegan options and great selection of vegan deserts as well.

Pros: many vegan dishes, wonderful vegan deserts
Cons: none
bagwasher
bagwasher

Good Vegan Food

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

We ate here for lunch in Dec 2011. There were many vegan options. The staff was very helpful. We had delicious pasta, wrap with peanut sauce and tofu and a plate with purple potato samosa and baked tofu. Everything was delicious. The salad was fresh and the dressings very good. They served fish also, which worked well for my 'mixed' family of vegans and omnivore.

It was hard to find - look for a low sign near the brick oven pizza place. But everything in Kauai seems to be hard to find.

Pros: Friendly service, Fresh food, Good vegan options
Cons: Hard to find, Menu hard to understand
veganmiss
veganmiss

Island Gem

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2011

Lots of vegan options: tofu potstickers, salads, samosas, noodles, pasta, vegan desserts.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/09/vegan-kauai-hawaii-part-two.html

Pros: local ingredients, organic, vegan-friendly
sullivusb
sullivusb

Amazing!!

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2011

This place is great - not just one of the best places on the island, but one of the best restaurants we've been to. My boyfriend and I went here twice during our trip. The food was great, vegan options (and gluten free options) were plentiful - the tofu potstickers were particularly good. The staff was very friendly and remembered us when we came back.

The atmosphere was the best part of the restaurant, we ate in the yard/outdoor area during the event. The outdoors was decorated with colorful holiday lights and assorted tables. It was almost like being at a holiday party in someone's backyard. Both times we visited live musicians were playing at the restaurant and a friendly neighborhood cat wandered over for a bowl of water.

Really the only thing bad I have to say about this place is that we left with a few mosquito bites each time we were here :)

I can't recommend this place highly enough.

Pros: Great food - lots of vegan options, friendly staff, wonderful atmosphere
Cons: mosquitos in the yard.
syork2
syork2

Delicious vegan dishes!

4 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2010

We loved this place! It's a little hard to spot from the road but just look for the sign!

My husband and I shared a plate that included a wonderful, dessert-like sweet potato samosa, a salad, some perfectly seasoned and cooked tofu and a few other things. It was SO, SO delicious! They even threw in free vegan pumpkin soup - YUM! This one plate was plenty filling for the two of us!

The staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating and let us know what was vegan and what wasn't.

We got to hear some live jazz music, which was great, and the actual atmosphere of the restaurant was so fantastic! Very Hawaiian-tikki feeling with "indoor" (which is somewhat open to the outdoors) and outdoor seating. They're only open for dinner but it's so worth trying this place!

Pros: Cool atmosphere, GREAT service, SCRUMPTIOUS food
Hallie
Hallie

Delicious!

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

This place was heavenly, especially after striking out at so many other places in Hawai'i. We would have returned many times if we had found it earlier!
We went at night and the atmosphere was great.
The waiter also works the register and remembers who ordered what as you seat yourself and he brings you your food. He was the only staff member not working in the kitchen, and it was amazing that he remained so friendly and didn't forget a thing, even when the place was full!
THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS! We ordered the pumpkin soup and just couldn't get enough of it. We each had a cup, and then I bought myself another bowl! The samosas were very good, but more like a turnover than a samosa (very dessert/pastry-like). The noodle salad was very fresh and the peanut dressing was fantastic; we only wish they put more on there! The coconut custard in lilikoi syrup was very different: tangy, but creamy; very interesting and good.
The food wasn't expensive either!

Pros: amazing food, great atmosphere & prices, friendly staff
shaz
shaz

wonderful vegan dishes

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2009

We highly recommend this restaurant, although they serve some meat the chef is very experienced with vegan food and can make almost all the dishes on the menu vegan. The food here is excellent, especially the vegan samosas!

Pros: excellent food, very friendly staff, outdoor dining
Cons: hours of operation, hard to find

Dear Owner and Manager of Caffe Coco: