Café Vux is a coffee shop that serves cakes and pies, cupcakes and waffles with hot fruits and whipped soya cream, cookies, soups, salads, bagel sandwiches, plus a variety of hot and cold beverages such as coffee, teas, and fruit smoothies. Previously located on Richardstr. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, German, Take-out
Wipperstr. 14 (corner of Kirchhofstrasse, near Richardplatz)
Berlin, Germany 12055

Joloco
Joloco

Ah, wonderful Café Vux!

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2014

When we first moved to Berlin we lived close to Café Vux, and it quickly became our favourite. I only regret that we live on the other side of town now. Note to Café Vux staff – if you want to open a branch in Prenzlauer Berg, let me know! ;)

It's not the largest menu in the world (soup, sandwiches, waffles, sweets, drinks) but what they do have is delicious. It's perfect for bagel lovers (like us). There's about six or seven to choose from, my personal favourites are the Guava Jelly with (vegan) cheese (which might sound strange, but try it and thank me later), and also the Seitan-Lime one.

There's very good coffees too, and a good range of desserts, such as slices of cake, and these really nice muffins with a sweet crispy topping (though these do change, so they'll probably have a different type of muffin in when you visit!).

The only thing we weren't impressed with were the waffles. It wasn't actually bad or anything, just rather average compared to everything else. I'd opt for a muffin or slice of cake instead next time.

All said, it's a really, really nice place. We've enjoyed every visit. It's located in a good area for other vegan stuff too.

Pros: best filled bagels, good coffees, tasty cakes
xlilianx
xlilianx

The best Café!

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2014

What to say about this place.. just the best cakes in town or even around all Europe!!

Do do do Donauwelle!

Pros: Perfect Cakes, Delicious Cakes, Gorgeous Cakes
Cons: Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. , Makes people addicted to that delicious., There is no "cons" for me actually! :P
lemoncookie
lemoncookie

Brunch!

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

Great vegan brunch buffet, lots of different tasty food, love Cafe Vux!

Pros: friendly staff, nice vibe

Kyttiara
Kyttiara

I still have to go for the brunch!

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

I really like this nice and small place. The waitress was very polite and she told me even if the cake is gluten-free, they do cook wheat in the kitchen, so sagacious. I had a raw vegan cake with Lime and it was delicious. Also the Chai latte was great. I have to come back for the brunch!

Pros: raw cakes, nice place, all vegan
Cons: not so much choice
2soundless
2soundless

Great Cafe

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

Awesome cake, very good coffee and everything is vegan. The only bad thing is that they do not open earlier.

Ten Rainbows
Ten Rainbows

Shoulda had a cake

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

Having arrived for lunch our eyes were bigger than our bellies and ordered three bagels to share between two. Oops. They were good, if a bit dry, and we were very fool. Having bypassed the counter on the way to a seat we didn't see the gorgeous looking cakes until we were leaving.

The place was quite sparse, and with little decoration it was quite loud, even with only a few other tables dining. But the staff were friendly and the food tasty.

Pros: Bagels, Cakes
Cons: Interior decoration
zroq12
zroq12

not sure what to do with this

Posted on 04 / 25 / 2014

beautifu place, very friendly staff.
nice vegan menu.
cheap prices.
the best cakes in the world
but one bad thing here. they use whte chemical sugars.
what a big question.
everything so perfect just this last thing so important.
it is so easy to replace it for at least something less worse.
but it seems they don't care about it.
all their cakes are made with white chemical sugars and they are not gonna change it.
i am sure the customers wouldn't mind pay just a bit more if they would use agave syrup or organic cane sugar,
thats all what vegan and health is about.
or maybe the customers don't care either ?
it probably seems that sad way.
maybe they should learn that vegan and white chemical sugar don't go together.
this place needs to study about it. thats my opinion.
i try to stay away from these vegan cakes with white chemical sugar, but lets be honest they look fabulous and taste oh so good.
maybe once in a while i could try it .
but there are other vegan restaurants in town , selling similar cakes , and these are luckily without the white sugar , and taste fantastic as well.
i believe there is a connection between white sugar and hospitals and cancer.
people should consider this before they order without thinking.

Updated from previous review on Friday April 25, 2014

Pros: beautiful place, friendly staff, nice vegan menu
Cons: all cakes with white chemical sugar
nico
nico

a place to visit

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

I've been to this café few years ago, while living in Berlin for some time, the area was pretty isolated but the café had a nice and relaxed atmosphere (very white!), good cappuccino and amazing cakes, still remember their Brownies, yummy!
Wish to visit again soon!

Pros: very good patisserie, quiet
nadsun
nadsun

Super vegan cafe

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

It is very good vegan place. We try cake and different cafes and they where super tasty :)They also have bagels and other things for snack. I like the ambiance and the staff is nice. It is one of my favorite cafe place in Berlin!

Pros: nice vibe, friendly staff
craigmc
craigmc

great lunch option.

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

Arrived ad 1400 and still plenty on the menu available.

Half a dozen vegan deserts on display all looking good. Really nice layout to the restaurant, the only thing lacking was sunshine, but we can't have everything.

We desiden on bagels, I went for a pumpkin seed one with seitan limao, it arrived with plenty of salad. My better half had a seasame bagel with smokey habanero. Both bagels were fresh, we shard and both had a bite to them, but tasted very different. Both were great.

Blueberry cheesecake for desert was magic, flavoursome and light.

The coffee was nice and strong and it'd a great lunch option.

A large selection of teas were also available

Pros: great staff, fresh healthy food, great value
jon active
jon active

A good place for posh snacks!

Posted on 10 / 23 / 2013

I was a little dissapointed that there was no savoury food on offer besides soup even though it was more than an hour before closing time when we got to Vux. The soup and cakes we had though were very good and I'm reliably informed the apple cake we didn't have is "the best". The hot chocolate was excellent and the tea adequate. The healthy green smoothie tasted a bit more healthy than tasty! The decor is very clean, bright and trendy another place determined not to be categorized as part of the "alternative" ghetto. Vux is close to the Dr Pogo all vegan shop which is useful.

Pros: Tasty
Cons: Limited menu, Not cheap, Out of the way!
Miss_Anni
Miss_Anni

Best Cafe Ever

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

Vux is my favorite cafe in Berlin. They offer a huge range of different cakes, cream cakes and fruit cakes, cheese cakes etc. Their hot chocolate is perfect and the staff is friendly. My non vegan friends couldn't believe that the cakes are vegan :D

Pros: Best Cake, Cute Place
Cons: Nothing, At, All
KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Great cakes!

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2013

My partner and I wanted to catch the Sunday brunch but missed it (it is from 12pm to 3pm). So we just got a green smoothie and some cake instead (no savoury food available from the menu on that day - only Saturday I think). My partner loved the green smoothie, especially the lemon in it. The cake was amazing - a huge slice with layers of cherry, chocolate and covered in green tea cream. Amazing!

They also speak English.

Pros: All vegan, Great desserts
Cons: No savoury food after brunch on Sunday
DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Don`t miss it

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2013

I just loved this place. Great variety of burgers and deserts. I almost couldn't walk after eating that much.

I had the habanero burger that almost killed me, but I knew (or thought I knew) what I was doing. Tasty vegan sausage and cheese. And for desert I had like almost everything they had. Cheesecake, lemon pie, chocolate cake, etc. Must come back.

Pros: everuthing
NIlsI
NIlsI

great café

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

Vux is one of the best cafés I know. Although, I´m not so much in to cake, coocies and other sweets I always enjoy to have a piece of some sweets there. In addition, they have some fresh made bagels which I verily like and recommend!

I like the Vux alot.

Pros: Bagels and sweets, price, staff
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Good food

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

Nothing really stands out about this place, but the food was good, it's all vegan, service was nice, employees were friendly, etc. They checked all the right boxes. I wouldn't say "must go," but it's tasty and friendly.

Pros: Vegan, Friendly
Cons: Doesn't stand out
Eric_
Eric_

Not bad but

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

My vegan friends were very impressed and kept coming back. As a vegetarian, it's of course not that special. Nice place.

Pros: Well-needed for the vegans
Cons: Not needed for the rest of us
J-Veg
J-Veg

The best cafe in town!

Posted on 11 / 19 / 2012

I simply love this cafe as they always offer great coffee, a wide selection of tea, amazing cakes and tarts, a wide and imaginative selection of bagels as well as a small selection of hot meals including soup.

The cafe itself is really cool and has a nice atmosphere. The cakes are simply other-worldly and a real treat. Not only do they look great but they taste just as good. You really feel like you have the same range of choice as you would in a Konditorei/Austrian coffeehouse.

It is a little out of the way and off the beaten track but it's certainly worth finding and the surrounding area (Rixdorf) is certainly interesting. It's not far from the station 'S+U Neukölln' (ring line and U7).

Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 30, 2012

Pros: Amazing cakes, Nice decor and atmosphere, Great spot for lunch
Cons: Out of the way, but worth finding!
SagarKShah
SagarKShah

Absolutely fantastic Sunday Brunch

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

Cafe Vux was the first place we went to eat in Berlin, and we certainly weren't disappointed at all. We arrived early afternoon on a Sunday, and so decided to go for the all-you-can-eat brunch for EUR9.50. There was a great variety of vegan foods on offer including:
- a selection of german breads
- focaccia and fried polenta
- wontons filled with seaweed salad
- tomato with smoked vegan cheese, basil and a vinaigrette dressing
- german style potato salad
- lemon seitan
- a variety of fresh salads, including green salad (with spinach, broccoli, toasted almonds and a delicious dressing), japanese style wakame (with fine strips of seaweed, carrot and sesame seeds), cooked celery, apple/potato,
- a selection of spreads including hummus, basil infused vegan ricotta, cranberry ricotta and a several others with german names I couldn't quite translate.
- several sweets, including fruit cake, chocolate cake, and a semolina based fruit pudding, and cut fruits.

The food was all delicious (especially the potato salad, ricotta salad, and chocolate cake) and I ended up going back several times for more. But because most of the food was very light and healthy (as opposed to lots of heavy fake meats), I felt pretty good afterwards despite absolutely stuffing myself. I was also very impressed by the uniqueness of dishes on offer - I had never tried many of the dishes in a restaurant before, and I've been to over 80 vegetarian/vegan restaurants around the world, and spend a serious amount of my free time tracking down delicious veg*n foods.

Outside the brunch buffet, there was a massive selection of cakes on offer. We opted to go for the chocolate coconut cake (which was great) and a raspberry cheesecake (which was nice, but not spectacular). We also ordered a caffe latte macchiato, which was better than any coffee I've ever had in the UK - incredibly smooth and delicious.

The staff were really friendly and helped us decide on which drinks to get. The decor was clean, fresh and airy, and the ambience inside the restaurant was great.

Overall - I was extremely impressed with cafe vux. If there was a place like this in London, I would go there for brunch every weekend I could.

A must for a any vegan that visits Berlin.

Pros: Good Value, Great Atmosphere, Great Food
JMNL
JMNL

a MUST for lunch

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

Not too far if you take the subway from the city center. Very nice atmosphere, quite a big place for a lunchroom. Unfortunately they didn't have quiche at the time, but the bagels are very good, I had the 'Salami-Saté' Bagel and it was great. The cream cheese was a bit too sour for my taste though. Also try the cakes and pies.

Pros: Spacious, Great vegan food
Tal
Tal

Good place for a light meal and vegan desserts

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2012

A pleasant, inexpensive, all-vegan place in Neukolln/Rixdorf - may seem far but it isn't really and well worth a visit. Just note the opening hours - they're open only from Wednesday to Sunday.
There's beautiful white decor and outdoor sitting. The place was full and it seems quite popular.
The menu is all vegan. There's no English menu, but the staff speaks English and was helpful. I had the quiche which was satisfying as a light meal.

Pros: 100% vegan, good food, pleasant
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

vux is the spot!

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

i love cafe vux. my first visit was over two years ago, and i'm counting the days until my next stop, just one month away. the folks that run vux are super fantastic. the cakes/pies/desserts are dreamy (you will dream about them), great food too, and the atmosphere is perfectly pleasant. people, do yourself a favor, go to vux... immediately!

Pros: cakes, pies, desserts, the folks that run vux, the food
dansette
dansette

Amazing

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2011

There are so many (all vegan) cakes to choose from and the bagel was amazing. Went again on Sunday when they don't have bagels but there was a choice of eggless "quiche", waffles etc, all delicious. You can get traditional German cakes here that otherwise as a vegan you would miss out on.

BKJ
BKJ

Affordable and Friendly

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2011

Not knowing what to expect I lunched here in September 2011. I was served great coffee and a bagel with lemon marinated seitan filling. The filling was a bit too wet for my liking and the lemon flavour was too subtle. Overall it was enjoyable and the woman who served me was friendly. I would go back particularly for more vegan muffins that I had as takeaway. The prices are great only 5 euros for a coffee and bagel.

IdanHaVegana
IdanHaVegana

If you around, pay a visit!

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2011

It's my second time in Cafe Vux. I don't remember what exactly I had the first time, only that it was really good.

This time, I took a cheese bagel. The bagel was fresh, and was loaded with vegetables, herbs and vegan cheese, all of which were delicious. For a moment, I wanted to actually check if the place is really vegan!

I then went for the deserts, Apple brownies, which were good but rather standard, but the tip of the cream was the mango-maracuya cake.

My entire mouth felt like WOW!!! I'm attaching a picture of it, and it tastes as good as it looks. Once again, I considered asking the waitress again if the place is vegan.

In short, if you are in Berlin, it's one place you should not miss!

estefinparis
estefinparis

Vegan cake paradise

Posted on 04 / 26 / 2011

Café Vux is decorated mostly in white and feels cosy and minimalist. Which just makes the amazing vegan cake display look even more mind-blowing. Cakes, cupcakes, muffins of all sorts welcome you as soon as you step into Vux and it is almost impossible to make up one's mind! We tried the rosemary and mint muffin, the chocolate and peanut cupcake, the apricot and poppyseed cake and the mango and elderflower cake. The mango cake was good, but the other three were extraordinary. This place is incredible, be sure to check it out if you like sweets and you are in Berlin.

Take It Back
Take It Back

best vegan café anywhere in the world

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

It's plain and simple: this place is so good, it can easily keep up with Baby Cakes in NY. This is the best and nicest vegan cafe I've been to.

Pros: great staff, great cakes, great everything
Cons: none
beer and veg
beer and veg

I love vux! Vegan Oasis in Neukölln!

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

Vux is excellent. The sparse and simple interior is oddly elegant and punk at the same time. The case is full of so many cakes and pies and goodies to choose from, each and every time. and, they are all VEGAN! This is still so exciting to me! Three cow heads for that. BUT, it gets better, the cakes are actually really good! Their cheesecake waws amazing. The kind of slice you finish and know it was exactly the right size, because anymore and you would have to eat it, because it was so good, but they you would feel sick. Seriously, it was that good. Two other varieties were very good, and only one, a mango yellow cake was disappointingly ordinary. Still, that is good odds. The cafe also offers vegan bagel sandwiches with Scheese. The cafe stopped the Sunday brunches, unfortunately. Let's hope they are revived sometime soon. Even at a much higher price. We will pay, guys!

The cafe seems to attract a lot of parents with young children (who sometimes are loud and run around, undisciplined). So, beware of that, if it bothers you.

Pros: excellent cakes, lots of options, nice environment
Cons: too many damn kids
  • beer and veg beer and veg

After many repeat visits, I have to drop my rating to four cows. Vux is awesome, it's a great place. Unfortunately, everyone else knows it. On several occasions, the cafe was full up, with no hope of getting a spot. It's a tiny place with fairly short hours, and closed on Mon and Tue. The cakes aren't always fantastic, but I still give them full marks for creativity and providing a nice space. While they seem to have improved on the annoying child front, the cafe can be very loud (still nothing to absorb sound). With the windows open, the smoke from the outdoor patrons floats in; with the windows closed, there's nowhere for the sound to go. I vote for making it non-smoking. Oh, and increasing the hours, days and space. ;)

Eva*
Eva*

Nice atmosphere

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2010

We went to cafe VUX for lunch and all ordered a really good cheese bagel. It's easy that everything is vegan. I also took a hot chocolate with kardamom, an interesting and tasty combination. Strange combination with a cheese bagel, but my mistake, I liked both anyway. The atmosphere in the cafe was really nice and relaxed. Unfortunately i'm not a big eater, the cakes all looked sooo delicious but after a bagel and a huge glass hot chocolate I was satisfied.

Pros: all vegan, nice atmosphere, cute place
Dula
Dula

I love Cafe Vux

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2010

The best vegan place I've ever visited. Go for Sunday's brunch or cakes, you will love it. Thanx for places like this one..

Pros: excelent everything
nspanee
nspanee

sunday brunch

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2010

we went there for sunday brunch. so many different things, all very taste, simple but still somewhat special. as dessert about 3 or 4 different cakes, nicely decorated and delicious. im not into desserts a lot but these cakes were eaten quickly. atmosphere is great. comfy, easygoing n very nice people

Pros: food, liket it that they dont sell alcohol
  • nspanee nspanee

were there today, again. they didn't have a soup but about 5 different bagels. also the one with the limeseitan. so i think they just ran out on some things before like the soup today ;) . bagels were great as expected and the cakes as well. again the atmosphere is just perfect.

Merciless666
Merciless666

Neuköln is changing for good...

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

though they don't sell the amazing lemon-seitan bagel anymore (i think there is no food beside cakes anymore) it's still a lovely place. Check out their Sunday breakfast buffet, but be early, it's getting more and more crowded. Nice place for a decent vegan caffé latte and selfmade vegan cakes. Hopefully selling food soon again.

Pros: vegan, reasonable, cosy
Cons: kinda pricy, 2 far from my home
wildfang
wildfang

A real insider's tip!

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2009

We tried out Cafe VUX last week and will sure come back soon.
The atmosphere was quiet and relaxed and just such an enjoyable contrast to the busy Neukélln one is used to.

We had a seitan-limao bagel and a classic bagel (both for 3,5€) which were both fresh and delicious. We tried some tasty creamy soup too (don't remember what sort of) and had hot chocolate for drinks. As desert we tried a piece of very tasty coco-cream cake and chili chocolate tarte (both around 2€ per piece). The owners were very nice as well.

Pros: excellent fresh food, good value, healthy cuisine
je
je

amazing

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2009

very pretty and relaxed little café. all vegan. great homemade food. they serve cakes & cupcakes everyday, a variety of delicious bagels with seitan, tofu or vegan sheese from wednesday to saturday, a brasilian speciality called feijoada on saturdays and an amazing all-you-can-eat brunch buffet on sundays.
owners are very warmhearted and helpful.
i can only recommend this place in the heart of Berlin's new "in" quarter neukölln. definitely worth checking out, though it's a little walk from the closest public transport station.
i love cafe vux!

Pros: friendly, all vegan, relaxing atmosphere
Cons: none