Absolutely fantastic Sunday Brunch
Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012
Cafe Vux was the first place we went to eat in Berlin, and we certainly weren't disappointed at all. We arrived early afternoon on a Sunday, and so decided to go for the all-you-can-eat brunch for EUR9.50. There was a great variety of vegan foods on offer including:
- a selection of german breads
- focaccia and fried polenta
- wontons filled with seaweed salad
- tomato with smoked vegan cheese, basil and a vinaigrette dressing
- german style potato salad
- lemon seitan
- a variety of fresh salads, including green salad (with spinach, broccoli, toasted almonds and a delicious dressing), japanese style wakame (with fine strips of seaweed, carrot and sesame seeds), cooked celery, apple/potato,
- a selection of spreads including hummus, basil infused vegan ricotta, cranberry ricotta and a several others with german names I couldn't quite translate.
- several sweets, including fruit cake, chocolate cake, and a semolina based fruit pudding, and cut fruits.
The food was all delicious (especially the potato salad, ricotta salad, and chocolate cake) and I ended up going back several times for more. But because most of the food was very light and healthy (as opposed to lots of heavy fake meats), I felt pretty good afterwards despite absolutely stuffing myself. I was also very impressed by the uniqueness of dishes on offer - I had never tried many of the dishes in a restaurant before, and I've been to over 80 vegetarian/vegan restaurants around the world, and spend a serious amount of my free time tracking down delicious veg*n foods.
Outside the brunch buffet, there was a massive selection of cakes on offer. We opted to go for the chocolate coconut cake (which was great) and a raspberry cheesecake (which was nice, but not spectacular). We also ordered a caffe latte macchiato, which was better than any coffee I've ever had in the UK - incredibly smooth and delicious.
The staff were really friendly and helped us decide on which drinks to get. The decor was clean, fresh and airy, and the ambience inside the restaurant was great.
Overall - I was extremely impressed with cafe vux. If there was a place like this in London, I would go there for brunch every weekend I could.
A must for a any vegan that visits Berlin.
Good Value, Great Atmosphere, Great Food