Café Vogelfrei is an all vegan cafe offering in-house-made cakes, quiches, soups, pizza. Organic dairy milk is available only for coffee next to soy milk. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Bakery, Italian, International

First Review by Tara HD
RikeRikea
RikeRikea

Very cozy place - overspiced food

3 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2014

Cafe Vogelfrei is a pretty nice place, very "grassroot" - I like the atmosphere and the program they offer (for example clothes-changing-partys). The food looks very good but is too salty (main dishes) or to sweet (the cakes). Still I like to go there - also as there are not so many other places that cozy and with vegan/vegetarian food.

Pros: cozy place, very nice service
Cons: use too much salt, use too much sugar
FrankHpunto
FrankHpunto

Favorite Spot!

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

The Vogelfrei is one of my favorite spots!
I really enjoyed this place!
The ambience is awesome, the owners a kind, cool and always caring.
Furthermore they offer a variety of great vegan food.
Quiche, cupcakes, cakes, soups and more.
Go there!

Janet Doe
Janet Doe

Yes, it is a Cafe ...

3 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

I've been to the Cafe "Vogelfrei" a few days ago.
The location is very pretty and must be chosen with a lot of love! :-)
The cakes and food look wonderful!
The hosts are really nice.

I used to eat a vegan cupcake but I have to say that I didn't like it that much :-(
It looked extremly tasty but was totally dry and just sweet.

Next time I will try the cakes and will hopefully be suprised by the great flavour :-)

Pros: Amazing location, Friendly hosts
Cons: Didn't like the cupcakes

*tess+
*tess+

Love it :)!

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2012

"Cafe Vogelfrei" is a cute, cozy little cafe close to the University of Mannheim. Its vegetarian and vegan dishes vary each day, you can always choose between mains, starters and desserts. Everything that I have tried so far tasted delicious, my absolute favorites are the vegan chocolate brownies and the vegan pasta salad. The staff is very nice and once in a while Cafe Vogelfrei hosts music gigs. The furniture is very retro and comfortable. The prices are resonable and affordable. It is my favorite cafe in this area.
I can only recommend it :)!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, cozy
Cons: sometimes small portions
crumb
crumb

Really cozy!

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

I fell in love with the Cafe Vogelfrei and the really nice owner.
There are different meals everyday (I especially love the carrot cupcakes that fortunately are made one day every week). Sometimes the offer is great and with large choice, somedays it's not sooo much. But everyday there's at least one little something that tastes good to everybody. You can just ask and they will give advises.

You can also buy trinket and buttons.

There are couches and chairs (even a rocking chair) and different books or comics you can read there or little games for kids.

It feels and looks like a living room and I could sit on the couch and drink hot soy chocolate and eat brownies all day long ... ^^

Pros: cozy, comfortable, varied
Cons: self-service, no regular menu
Tara HD
Tara HD

Very nice atmosphere

3 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

Unfortunately, the Rhine-Neckar area (Mannheim-Ludwigshafen-Heidelberg) offers very little for vegans when it comes to eating out. So this cafe is a very welcome addition for me. It's a lovely place, very comfortable, and with a very friendly owner and staff.
They offer a daily soup, quiches, sometimes pizza, always with vegan options, and a great selection of cakes, most of them vegan (only the cheesecake is not).
So far I've tried a soup, a quiche and a cake. I liked the soup and it was good value too - EUR 3,50 for a very large bowl. The quiche was OK but I'm not generally a great fan of quiches. The cake (sponge cake with berries and a kind of "tiramisu" cream) was rather mediocre though. The dough was very dry, the cream rather flavorless. I'll try another cake next time.

Update: I've tried different cakes there by now and I didn't really like any of them. (Updated from previous review on Saturday April 07, 2012)

Pros: mostly vegan, very friendly staff, very comfortable place
Cons: small selection of food, cakes not so yummy

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Vogelfrei: