CLOSED: Cafe Veganissimo

Vegan cafe serving a weekday lunch buffet consisting of soups, salads and warm dishes. On Saturday a brunch or other themed buffet is served. Outside these hours you could reserve for private celebration, meetings or any other event. MAY 2014 FB PAGE STATES CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - LET HAPPYCOW KNOW IF/WHEN IT RE-OPENS. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Finnish, Western, International, Buffet
Kulmavuorenkatu 2 (Hameentie)
Helsinki, Finland 00500
+358-40-5000189

Open Mon-Fri 11am-4pm, Sat 11am-3pm.

First Review by emilyt_w
LisahhK
LisahhK

Great Vegan Find in Helsinki

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

The day we went, two main courses were offered: a risotto and a seitan soup. We chose the soup, salad, bread and tea. The soup was amazing and filling! We built our own salads with lettuce, veggies, a great vegan salad dressing and vegan potato salad. The overall atmosphere was very casual and comfortable.

AlyssaVegan
AlyssaVegan

My favourite

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

As a hungry vegan this was the most spectacular place! Fr a buffet style you pay around 9€ and get a large meal aswell as bread and tea. I filled up my plate with a variety of salad and vegetables and warm foods, so good that I went back for a second helping.
I recommend completely and will defiantly come again...probably again tomorrow!
Everything is vegan-big plus!
Takes around 13 mins on the 7 tram from the city centre.

Pros: All vegan delicious, Well priced
Pitaya
Pitaya

Great cozy vegan lunch buffet

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2013

I eat in this cozy vegan restaurant several times per week and I enjoy the food every time. Warmly recommended!

Pros: Good varied lunch buffet, All vegan, Also Finnish dishes
Cons: Only lunch buffet, no a la carte-options, No alcohol served, Open only until 4 pm

ChefeVegan
ChefeVegan

Really good

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2013

For 15€, you eat buffet style including juice, smoothies, dessert, coffee, tea & all you can eat. The food is very good & you can find frankfurts, tofu, beans, chickpeas, etc
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 08, 2013

Pros: open till 3pm Saturdays, price for Finland, food quality
SCos
SCos

The best Vegan cafeteria at Helsinki

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

Café Veganissimo serves mainly lunch at weekdays and brunch at Saturdays. The food is very homemade-ish, tasty and nutritious. The only minus is that the place is not open in the evenings.

Veganissimo's Saturday brunch is a must-have. It contains e.g. wheat sausages, chickpea omelette, fresh fruit and sallad, karelian pastries, smoothies, juices and coffee and tea.

Pros: Everything is vegan, Really tasty, Nice people
Cons: Opening times , Location
Marenka
Marenka

Great place!

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2013

I enjoyed Veganissimo's lunch very much. They had a delicious garlic soup with croutons and a variety of salads, both green salad and pasta salad among the warm dishes. It was nice that the food was "normal" veganized food and not just some healthy and weird lentil stew kind of stuff or protein-free vegetables. I believe that omnivores would like it, too.

The atmosphere was cozy and the owner was very friendly. Unfortunately, the cafe's opening hours are too limited for me. But I'll definitely visit again, especially since it's not very easy to find vegan quality food at low price in Helsinki.

Pros: delicious and filling food, friendly staff, all vegan
Cons: open only during lunch time
  • Marenka Marenka

Update: been eating also the lentil stew kind of meals in this restaurant, and I've started to like that kind of food, too! You should also try the desserts, they're delicious!

anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Wholesome and delicious

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2012

Loved it. The buffet was all freshly cooked and prepared, with lots of healthy and delicious options to choose from. Creamy spinach soup, soy slices, broccoli and sweet peas, sweet potato wedges, rice, salad and fruit. Plus bread, tea and coffee. And all for €9.80. What a bargain! Everything I ate was perfect, and the ambiance was cosy and enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Pros: Delicious and nutritious, Hearty and great value
tomahola
tomahola

Dream buffet

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2012

Veganissimo is a currently the only truly vegan restaurant in Helsinki. Lunch buffet is fantastic and reasonably priced. The dishes have been great and I have so far always found some new exciting great tasting varieties. Saturdays they have a brunch, which resembles some kind of Hotel breakfast, with vegan version of sausages and omelet, and much more. Although I'm not very fond of faux meat it is a great variation. I warmly recommend Veganissimo and I will visit there always when possible.

Pros: great varieties, cost efficient buffet
Cons: no open in the evenings
Sarah_Lily
Sarah_Lily

Review of the Saturday breakfast buffet

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

I was really looking forward to visiting Cafe Veganissimo after all the good reviews on here but unfortunately, I didn't manage to make it there until a Saturday. They seem to hold a breakfast buffet instead of lunch and it's 15 euros which I found to be very expensive.

The owner seemed friendly enough but he seemed nervous speaking in English so was quite difficult to understand. He told me that all the staff and the owners are vegan and that everything on the menu was also vegan because 'that is our thing!'

The buffet was really, really disappointing. I don't think I've ever eaten such a disgusting selection of food for breakfast. There were a range of fake meat sausages in all different shapes and sizes, a very sloppy tofu scramble which was totally liquid, some strange bread cakes which were hard on the outside and like lukewarm congealed rice on the inside, some potato(?) pancakes which were strangely sweet from sweetened soya milk, jam, beetroot salad, sauerkraut and an array of salad items with various dips and sauces. The only things I found palatable were some fried potatoes, potato salad and fresh fruit. They also had muesli on offer, juice and a smoothie which I'm sure all tasted fine but wouldn't have been worth 15 euros on their own!

This strange concoction of dishes really was not my thing at all, but the cafe seemed to be rather popular with locals. They must have been raking it in at 15 euros a plate!

I'm sure the weekly lunch options are fine, but I really wouldn't recommend this breakfast at all. However, maybe vegan Finnish breakfast food just isn't my thing.....?! Go try it for yourself if you're brave enough. Don't say I didn't warn you though!

Pros: all vegan staff, eat as much as you like (if you want...)
Cons: overpriced breakfast buffet, odd selection of breakfast items, lukewarm food
VegTim
VegTim

One of my favourites in Finland

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

While visiting Finland in May/June 2012 I visited Veganissimo about 4 times. I really liked it. I also took a few omnivore friends there for lunch buffet and they really liked the place as well.
Veganissimo is one of the places I remember in Finland and will recommend to any vegetarians and vegans visiting.

Pros: Friendly staff, All vegan , Good food
Cons: No open at weekends
Lapa
Lapa

Vegan pastries

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

I chosed a piece of quark pie with rasberries and a small bottle of mangoshoothie. The pie base was little bit too doughlike to my taste, but it was still well worth the price. Smoothie was good too. I hadn't eaten quark pie since I became vegan so eating it brought back some childhoodmemories :)

At the pastry section they had also cheesecake, maplesyrup cupcakes and marzipan rolls (which looked like an gluten free option, but I'm not sure). It seems like the pastry selection differs from day to day.

In addition to the buffet (9.30e) there is also an option for soupluch for 6,80e.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 05, 2012

Pros: reasonable prices, good location, self made pastries and bread
Cons: little bit gloomy interiors, not visible from the mainstreet
jarik
jarik

Sometimes good, sometimes not so...

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

Quality of food varies.

Pros: vegan, buffet, eat all you can, vegan desserts
jurogrgic
jurogrgic

Tourists in Helsinki

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2012

We ate here two times and each time everything was very tasty, fresh and good. The buffet for 9.3€ is a very good price having such lovely food and being "eat as you can" + bread, water and tea and coffe included.
Good selections of drinks and desserts, we took the chocolate muffin that was delicious. The owner is very friendly, the place is very nice and clean. If you are hungry and like healthy and tasty food this is the place where to go!

Pros: Tasty vegan food, Place and owner, Cheap
Cons: Position
TheresaKuttner
TheresaKuttner

very yummy food, great quality and nice atmosphere

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2012

really enjoyed lunch at cafe veganissimo today. the buffet is € 9.30 as the other reviewer already mentioned, and you get a lot for your money! it includes, soup, everything from the buffet (mains and salads), bread & "butter", and coffe or tea (+ soy-milk). they also had something that looked like a cinnamon-roll for dessert (costs extra), which also looked very tempting and would have been perfect with the coffee, but I simply was too stuffed from all the great food already!
i definitely recommend this place & will eat there again (soon) :-)

Pros: very friendly staff, great food
emilyt_w
emilyt_w

So yum, fresh & light!

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2012

The pumpkin/coconut (thai?) soup is my favourite. So nice to have a light healthy and vegan meal with brown rice after so long with dark heavy breads. Lots of seating, busy over lunch. Wifi if you need - just ask the owner. Lovely music and owner is lovely. YUM VEGAN FOOD!!! The coffee was great, and the cakes look yum too (but I was to full to have any!). Good value of buffet for 9.30 euro.!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Cafe Veganissimo: