Cafe Sunflower

Menu features a variety of cuisine from Asian dishes to southwestern and sandwiches. See website for menu and more info. Also a location in Buckhead/Atlanta. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Southwestern, International, Take-out, Catering
5975 Roswell Rd NE, Suite E 353 (Hammond Dr NW)
Sandy Springs, Georgia 30328
404-256-1675

Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Thur 5-9pm, Fri 5-9:30pm, Sat 12-2:30pm, 5-9pm, closed Sun.

First Review by VeganChick
spiffysavannah
spiffysavannah

Delicious

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2013

I had the spicy pad Thai and it was amazing! It wasn't the most authentic pad Thai, but it was really tasty. Coconut milk, bell peppers, mushrooms, tofu, kale, yum! Vegan and gluten free! Every entree comes with a salad. Still kind of expensive at 17 dollars though. Good for special occasions!

Pros: vegan, pad Thai, nice atmosphere
Cons: price
ButtercreamDream
ButtercreamDream

We're Hooked!

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2013

Great food and service. Everyone left full. Reasonable pricing. All our meals were $17 each, with leftovers! Great desserts. We will go back again!

Pros: Great Service, Large Portions
Mamoo
Mamoo

Not what I expected

3 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

We went to the Sunflower Cafe while visiting Atlanta and was really looking forward to it. We were a little disappointed when we left. It does have vegan choices but they were all cooked except the salad which was good, but again very small and not filling. They had to take off the cheese which left us with a slice of tomato and cucumber and then lettuce, which wasn't the dark greens I expected. The meal was long in coming and when it got here had lots of sauces and gravies on it that were salty. I got meatloaf (vegan) with mashed potatoes and broccoli. The meatloaf was not to my liking and the veggies were overcooked and did I say salty? but I was able to eat them. My husband had a burrito that he really liked. They brought rolls with vegan butter that was also very good. The atmosphere was nice, dark and quiet, the service was slow, but our waiter kept coming by giving us progress reports on the food preparation. He was friendly and took time at our table, however we were the only ones there at that time. We felt like it was overpriced, my veggie meatloaf was $17 and I left most of it there. The burrito was $15 since they charge extra for vegan cheese.
Updated from previous review on Friday February 01, 2013

Pros: friendly waiter, nice atmosphere
Cons: overpriced, over cooked, no raw choices
Guest
Guest

Menu not health-friendly

2 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2012

Although this restaurant is known as a vegetarian restaurant, "vegetarian" does not necessarily mean healthy. The salads are not even dark leafy greens, all but the basic house salad have cheese in them, there are no raw dishes, there are no vegetable dishes that are just lightly steamed, and there is way too much salt in the dishes. I ordered what the waiter said was the healthiest menu choice--quinoa with over-cooked veggies on top. I ate a few bites and decided to go hungry.

Cons: no dark greens in salad, no raw food veggie dishes, over-cooked veggies--nothing fresh
cari
cari

I am 105lbs and cannot get full at this place!

2 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

I get the art. dip app for me and a friend. I seriously was a small spoonful of dip! I could have ate it in one bite! It was pretty good though. The food was not very good and so expensive. I left hungry. The waiter was talking to another table about how he likes meat, ect. Too pricy of a place just trying to be hip. There are many other places to go that will fill my belly and taste MUCH better.

Pros: vegan
Cons: bad service, small portions, way too expensive for the small amount
mndy616
mndy616

Don'tFlower!

2 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2011

The food is pretty good for at least $25 per person, and that is a meal without alcohol! Oh, and did I mention their portion sizes are fit for a mouse! The waitstaff never checked on us, and over half the tables were empty. The waiter just looked at us and kept walking. Even calling them to inquire about business/making a reservation is like talking to Paris Hilton's personal assistant.
"Thanks for calling Sunflower, I'd like to help you, but I just don't want to."
So condescending, soooo slow, so expensive. [edited by staff- see ToS]

Pros: alright food
Cons: RUDE STAFF, EXPENSIVE, MINISCULE PORTIONS
Rebecca Byrd
Rebecca Byrd

Such a rare gem

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2009

This isn't the first time I've been to Sunflower and it won't be my last. I've only been a few times, which is great b/c I still have time to eventually try everything on the menu. We just don't eat out much. But when we do, we always have Sunflower in mind as a great option. Items on the menu are designated as either "dairy-free" or "wheat-free." What's not on the menu is that they apparently do not use eggs ever, on anything (according to waitress). So if something's marked "dairy-free," you know it's vegan. There are probably more vegetarian options than vegan options, but there are still plenty of vegan options that are delicious, including the cakes. I'd say the menu is almost 50/50 vegetarian/vegan. We had the Sunflower Cafe Box (something like that), which was a bento box full of vegan rolls, squash cake, pita, hummus, and pot stickers -- so good! And then we had the Spicy Pad Thai noodles that was a HUGE serving. My husband and I split both dishes. We were served a salad and wheat rolls with a choice of either butter with dairy or soy butter w/o dairy. The soy butter was SO SO sweet and good. The vegan cakes (coconut and chocolate raspberry) were delicious, as vegan cakes usually are. We had yummy Celestial Seasonings Apple and Cinnamon tea that was also SO good. Plus, we went on a Saturday night, so there was a guy playing keyboard there for the whole crowd, which was a really nice touch. He went from table to table and took requests, so for us, he played some Fiddler on the Roof, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle, & of course Christmas songs (and lots of demand for Hanukkah songs that night). Everyone got to make their request, but he was not bothersome. Very soft, mellow atmosphere but sophisticated too. Great for quiet dates or quality conversation with friends when you don't want to have to scream to be overheard at the table. Bottom line: excellent food, yes, it's a little pricey, but worth it. Great variety on menu, good teas, healthy, great atmosphere. Service was not super fast but not super slow either and very friendly. I believe there is outdoor seating in nice weather although you only have a view of the parking lot.

Pros: excellent food, great variety, easy to order vegan
Cons: a little pricey, but not too much, and worth it.
rmradams
rmradams

Delicious!

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2009

I travel quite a bit with work and LOVE the resource of Happy Cow.net. I enjoyed a great meal tonight at the Sunflower Cafe... if you mapquest them they are a little difficult to find - you might want to call ahead - they gave GREAT directions when I called them. I had the mushroom appetizer - which was VERY good. Four stuff mushrooms in a gravy like sauce - very savory. I enjoyed the sweet and sour "chicken" - soy chicken with water chestnuts, bell peppers, pinapples, brocolli over brown rice. It was perfect. I had enough for left overs for lunch tomorrow and I also got two vegan chocolate desserts to take to work tomorrow to share with coworkers - to prove you CAN have yummy vegan desserts! I have a fridge in my hotel room and will take my lunch and the desserts in tomorrow! Cafe Sunflower is very vegan friendly and have all items marked so you can tell what has dairy - most items do not. They do have soy cheese available you can sub on some items. This will be my new favorite place when travelling to Marietta!!!

Pros: Taste, Selection, Staff
Cons: Tucked away location
Evie Quine
Evie Quine

One of the best veggie food in the US.

5 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2009

I was in Atlanta for just 2 days last week and my friends took me to Cafe Sunflower. I travel a lot, both within the US and abroad and I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years so I have been to MANY veg restaurants everywhere I've been over the years. That "walnut tofu cutlet" was out of this world!!! And my friends who also travel a lot nationally and internationally also mentioned that this was one of the best foods they've had even thought the decor of the place is very low key and unassuming.

tybress
tybress

Try the acorn squash!

4 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

Some of the menu items are a little ordinary (soy burger, stir fry, etc.), but the stuffed acorn squash is one of the most unique and tastiest foods I have ever had. The prices are a little high, especially for a "cafe", but they do have a menu on-line, so you shouldn't be too surprised when you get to the actual restaurant.

Pros: good food, friendly staff
Cons: high prices, no soft drink refills, closed Sun. & 2:30-5pm
dajotkjo
dajotkjo

We love this place.

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2008

My family and I go the the Sandy Springs location every weekend. The food is always great, the service is wonderful and there is plenty of parking available. Although the prices are at a premium, it is money well spent and the portions are very generous. The only cons are the small non-refillable soft drinks and being closed on Sundays.

VeganismRocks!
VeganismRocks!

Cafe Sunflower @ Sandy Springs is A Great Treat!

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2008

Their "Stuffed Acorn Squash" is my FAVE and is amazingly unique & delicious & filling (2 meals for me); the kale/veggie side that is served with it is done to perfection. The stir fry is also very tasty and the great combination of vegetables are cooked to perfection. The Veggie Loaf & Mashed Taters IS very filling & tasty, also, with that good ol' home cooking style. My hubby loved the Wild Mushroom Fettuccine. We were disappointed with "The World's Best Burger" this past 2007 - several years ago I remembered it being a lot thicker & juicier - maybe we got it with grilled portabello - would be the way to eat this one! In my opinion, the Jamaican Black Bean Cakes are very so-so, wouldn't re-order. The small salad that comes with the meal is basic, but very tasty and the navy beans go well on it - I loved the Soy Sesame dressing! The Basil Rolls with the Sweet & Spicy Ginger Sauce are delicious.
NEXT TIME, I will try the Spicy Pad Thai Noodle dish - that is praised! We don't live near enough to Atlanta to get there as often as we used to when we were in Augusta, TN. It is a shame that a city the size of Atlanta does not have more wonderful vegetarian & EVEN VEGAN restaurants! We once had a wonderful vegan (all vege) sandwich somewhere, but I have no clue where now! If anyone has any idea, please respond to this! But, living near Knoxville, TN (and everywhere else we have lived) - it would be wonderful to have any vegetarian/vegan restaurants available. Generally, when animal flesh/fluid serving restaurants try to serve vegetarian options, they have to load 'em up with animal fluids and just don't take the effort to find great recipes for vegan soups, salads, entrees, and YES - DESSERTS!

Next time, I will try the Spicy Pad Thai Noodles!

Pros: delicious food, large main entree portions, friendly & accommodating & comfy cozy
Cons: bit pricey
cheeky
cheeky

Wonderful Food, Original Dishes, and Filling!

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2008

Very nice food and atmosphere. This Vege Café has great food and enough room to seat big parties. The 5 of us tried the following dishes:

We shared the Sunflower box - an assortment of starters. With five of us - we really could have used one more starter. Next time! The dishes were really tasty.

For entrees we went our separate ways:

I got the Jamaican Black Bean cakes (basically because we agreed that everyone gets something different, and I ended up with these). They weren't that amazing to me. Kind of just felt like bean patties with some sauces. Not completely satisfying.

Other dishes on the table were:

Sweet and Sour Soy Chicken - REALLY good.
World's Best veggie Burger - REALLY good.
Spicy Pad Thai noodles - REALLY good.
Garden Lasagna - Pretty good.

We ended the meal with carrot and chocolate cake. We all left full and happy. Oh - and we had this lime drink that was also refreshing and new!

I would have taken more cake home for the road. Excellent cakes that were moist, stayed together and good sized portions.

Pros: tasty, filling, electic & freindly atmosphere
leoluca escobar
leoluca escobar

For photos and review of dishes at Cafe Sunflower

3 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2007

Fora review of Cafe Sunflower, along with photos of the
food and restaurant, visit: www.leolucaescobar.com/thesweets.

Pros: vegetarian, home cooked, gluten free/dairy free
Cons: pricey , lacks competition, not inventive
VeganChick
VeganChick

Love it, love it, love it.

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2007

I've visited both locations of Cafe Sunflower many times, and they have always delivered when it comes to service and great tasting food. We usually order the Sunflower Box as an appetizer, and everything in it is great, especially the Spaghetti Squash Cakes. I have ordered many different vegan dishes, and they have all been very, very tasty. My favorite, though, is the Spicy Pad Thai. It is the best Pad Thai EVER, and I order it every time I visit.

I know that people have complained about the price, but you really get a lot for your money, both in serving size and taste. For example, the Pad Thai (16 dollars) is a huge serving (you can eat your fill and still have leftovers for the next day), and it also comes with a salad and dinner roll. (The ginger dressing is amazing.)

You can't mention Cafe Sunflower without raving about their delectable desserts. If you are making a trip to the restaurant, you just cannot leave without trying their vegan desserts. Also, the service has always been terrific. I just wish they served alcohol at the Sandy Springs location!

Pros: Delicious Food, Very Vegan Friendly, Amazing Vegan Desserts
Cons: No Alcohol Served, A Little Pricey-But So Worth It!

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Sunflower: