Cafe Sunflower - Buckhead

Finer dining vegetarian restaurant with two locations serving a varied range of cuisines, from Asian to Southwestern American. Offers many vegan dishes and has vegan cake. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Asian, Southwestern American, Take-out, Catering, Beer/Wine
2140 Peachtree Rd (Buckhead area)
Atlanta, Georgia 30309
404-352-8859

Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Thu 5:00pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-2:30pm

First Review by Mimi123
Jfer
Jfer

Good upscale dining

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2014

I loved their upscale yet trendy atmosphere. The food was very good although my risotto with a little too rich. My soup was amazing. Almost anything on the menu can be made vegan. There were so many options it took a long time to choose. I've only been there once but I can't wait to go back. My only criticism is that the place is not 100% vegan.

Pricey but worth it. The service was very good.

Pros: Atmosphere, Soup, Large menu
Cons: Not 100% vegan
calamaestra
calamaestra

Great Vegan Cakes!

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

I love this restaurant and have eaten here often. The food is always delicious. In particular, I love the vegan cakes. There's such a wonderful variety. One thing that would make their menu better is to clearly list what is vegan. The only things specified as vegan are the cakes.

Lizart1
Lizart1

Long wait

3 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

We waited for 50 minutes to be seated. During this time, I saw three tables vacant and the hostess was not prompt with getting them filled. The food was excellent but portion sizes have diminished from the last time I visited.
Our waiter was more involved with talking to the other waiters than tending to our table. Even though the food is fantastic, because of the prices and uneven service, I will not be back.

Pros: tasty food beautifully arranged, clean, attractive restaurant, large menu
Cons: limited seating for waiting guests
mruss016
mruss016

Delicious!

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2013

Love this place. I took two of my non-veg friends here when I was visiting the area and they loved it too! I can't wait to go back.

Nachos are yum!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Beautiful Atmosphere
Cons: Pricey
CyneEnright
CyneEnright

One of my favorite restaurants

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

I have eaten at both Cafe Sunflower locations many times. The food is always fresh, good tasting, and beautifully prepared. Purchased the cookbook and use it often.

Veggi1
Veggi1

Number ONE on MY List

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2013

I LOVE this place! I never walk out of the restaurant without spending at least $30 b/c I want to try EVERYTHING! Although I'm not 100% vegan all the time, I always opt for the vegan selections here and am NEVER disappointed. Vegan dessert is an absolutely must on every visit!

Pros: Selection of entrees, Tastiness, vegan DESSERTS
Cons: Location (for me) - need branch in Cobb, Pricey (since I order so much)
Jennycraig
Jennycraig

you won't be disappointed!

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

So glad we found this restaurant! Excellent food with nice presentation ad many vegan options! I ordered the garden loaf, with mashed potatoes. The gravy was outstanding! Hubby ordered pad Thai and loved it. Dessert: we ordered two things: peanut butter chocolate mouse pie; strawberry cake. My oh my, this was a tough decision! There was caramel cake, chocolate cake, cheesecake, blueberry cobbler. They had sugar free dessert and a gluten free chocolate ganache.

Pros: menu selection, atmosphere
Cons: a little pricey
VeganFamilyAtlanta
VeganFamilyAtlanta

Delicious, consistent, excellent

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

Excellent food, friendly service, nice decor. High quality gourmet food. We've been here several times and absolutely love it. My non-vegan friends and coworkers like it too. Perhaps, my favorite item is Orzo Eggplant Lasagna, which consists of layers of vegetables; not a typical lasagna. Roasted Portabella Mushroom Melt sandwich is delicious and comes with a small salad. We’ve got their cookbook, but their recipes are for advanced cooks, so we keep coming back. We highly recommend this place.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly service, Nice decor
Marcia
Marcia

Vegetarian fine dining

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2013

Fantastic menu where I feel safe making choices. I have enjoyed everything I have had there. My non-veg friends enjoy it as well. The atmosphere is elegant, the staff knowledgeable and courteous (and good looking!). And they carry organic wines.

Pros: no meat!, lots of choices, lovely dining room
Cons: in Buckhead
Autumn0143
Autumn0143

Second Impression was Better than First!

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2012

The Sunflower Cafe was better than I expected based on my bias from a previous time visiting. Last time I went to Cafe Sunflower I found what I ate, the Soy Burger, unlikeable. Today, I went back, and tried something new and it was great! The lentil soup was phenomenal and the burrito was good. The best part was the coconut cake, though. It was unbelievably astonishing! It was moist and the icing fit perfectly with it. The parking was good. We easily found a space. The service was also great. I highly recommend The Sunflower Cafe, unless you're in the mood for a burger. Then go across the street to the World Peace Cafe.

Pros: great soup!
Cons: bad veggie burger!
Kennydn
Kennydn

Love this place

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2012

Cafe Sunflower is a great vegetarian restaurant in Atlanta. It has a somewhat upscale vibe, and each of the entrees that I've tried have been delicious. My favorite is the polenta cake with portabella mushroom, vegan "ham", and julianne veggies. I've also tried their fajitas and kungpow "chicken", which were both very tasty. I love that all of their dishes are either vegan or can be made vegan, and they have wine and beer. This is my favorite date spot in north Atlanta. The staff is always friendly and attentive in my experience. Cafe Sunflower is a great place for a nice romantic date or a quiet dinner. Love it!

pisceschic
pisceschic

Another good dinner

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

I visited a few years ago when I was in town for a conference and had a great meal, so I was delighted to return. I was looking for a healthy and tasty vegan meal. I ordered a cup of the chili I saw on the nachos. It was mostly Smart Grounds and very oily, with little beans and veggies. I got a special I think was called an organic bowl with greens, quinoa, and a veggie kebab. I added a side of smoked tofu. I think it came with a sweet and sour sauce. I wish menus listed all ingredients, but it tasted good. The best part was my friend's corn soup. I recommend they specify what is vegan on the menu.

Pros: many vegan options, comfortable environment, good food
Cons: vegan items not noted, oily chili, away from downtown area
thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

Fine Vegetarian dining in north Atlanta.

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2011

This is for the Sandy Springs location. I would agree with the other few reviews before this one. This is a good place to go if you want to spend money and show non vegetarians that vegetarian food is yummy. That being said, as a vegan who does not enjoy upscale dining, I wouldn't go back. The food was good, to great, there were many vegan choices and as classic American vegetarian upscale dining goes this place is not bad at all. But I think money could be spent in better places. If you want a nice sit down place, especially if you are dragging along non veggie people and are willing to spend the money then this place might do very well for you. If you are cheap vegan, then you will do better pretty much across the steet at Whole Foods.

Pros: lots of vegan options., great vegan desserts., upscale American vegetarian dining.
Cons: pricey.
Tigra220
Tigra220

May be ATL's finest vegan option!

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

I was on the go in Atlanta so everything I ate was boxed to go and eaten either in the car or back at the hotel, but this food was still good no matter where you ate it! I ordered the soy nuggets, Sesame "Chicken" and the Chocolate Raspberry Mousse Cake (OMV!!!!!), and EVERYthing was delicious! The nuggets and the sesame chicken were still crispy and hot when I got back to the hotel. I'm a fan of sauces so I was impressed with both the sauces that came with the nuggets as well as the sauce in which the sesame chicken was cooked; it was very flavorful and extremely tasty. And the choc raspberry mousse...my gawsh. I can't even begin to describe to my lust for more, even as I type. This will be the FIRST place that I revisit when I return to that neck of the woods. Oh, and the staff, or at least the guy at the front desk/counter was nice and helpful. He was actually the one to assist me in choosing which dishes to try as a first-timer.

Pros: GREAT vegan food, very nice ambiance, friendly staff; open late
MimiYoyo
MimiYoyo

Fantastic, Even for NonVegetarians

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2011

Even nonvegetarians love this place. Fresh ingredients with an Asian gourmet flare. This is probably the best vegetarian restaurant in town. Friendly staff.

Pros: Delicious gourmet food at good prices, Nonvegetarians love it, Great wait staff
vegan feral
vegan feral

The best vegan food ever!

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2010

The food is amazing. The portions are huge but I still manage to clean everyone's plate. My only complaint is that I rarely have enough room for their desserts.

The service has always been outstanding. We always get the same waiter (Jim, I think?) and he treats us great.

We often order the sesame chicken which is a family favorite. Their chicken is unlike anything I have ever had. I wish they sold it in the stores. The peppercorn crusted temph over potatoes with a balsamic reduction (no I don't work here I just love the food enough to remember every detail) is amazing. We always get the chicken nuggets- which comes with a honey mustard sauce and a BBQ sauce as well at the fried green tomatoes for an appetizer. Their soups are always above average, too. Everything I have tried, and believe me I have tried a lot, has been great. The lasagna was wonderful but it wasn't as fantastic as the other dished I have tried.

All in all this is the best veg restaurant on the planet. We own the cookbook which is also great. Sure the food is expensive but it is worth every penny and more!

Pros: food, service
Sabrina
Sabrina
  • raw

Good

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2010

I don't frequent Cafe Sunflower very often. The food is delicious and the atmosphere great, however most menu items are not particularly healthy. I remember reading a recipe for their mushroom fettuccine in VT, and it called for a half a cup of olive oil per serving! Granted, olive oil is great for you, but still that is an enormous amount of fat for anyone. Their vegan chocolate cake is delicious, but with the massive amount of sugar it is anything but healthy. Also, and I know this will sound odd to most folks, their portions are huge. I suppose that is good if you plan on taking half home, but I would much prefer normal portions and more reasonable prices. After all a vegetarian restaurant should encourage healthy eating, and that includes human sized portions. So, great place for the occasional splurge.

Pros: Delicious food
Cons: pricey, excessive portions
clashbabi
clashbabi

good enough.

3 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2009

There is nothing special about this restaurant besides the fact that it caters to veg-heads like myself.
The food was good enough. The service was good enough, I do remember the desserts being fantastic.
The location was a bit odd....

hippublican
hippublican

Pricey but good

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2009

We love going to Cafe Sunflower when we have a special occasion. The sesame chicken is my favorite and my husband always gets the meatloaf. We've always had very friendly service there. I find that most vegetarian restaurants have an annoying, loud, college-kid vibe, but Cafe Sunflower has a very low-key and professional atmosphere (might be the expensive menu). I love that about this restaurant.

Pros: stylish, tastey, great desserts
Cons: expensive
Riku4245
Riku4245

Small Portions Unique Food

3 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2009

My family and I went here to eat a couple months back, and the atmosphere was real nice, the waiter was okay at first... (Though quite ditsy; setting our silverware down on the table without anything underneath.), and the food was good too, but the prices were unimaginable for what you get. If you're looking for gourmet vegan food, this place is for you. For four dinners and drinks it cost us over 120$. And it wasn't even worth it, in my opinion. The portions were not that big for how much they cost, (like 20$ a piece, 3$ for a drink, and nearly 10$ for tiny appetizers), so it was difficult to share with everyone. The dishes were unique to what I'm used to, but it seems like they're more about appearance than anything with the way the dishes are set up and the atmosphere. The stuffed acorn squash was a bit bland, no one really cared for it because the squash tasted unseasoned. Everything else was great tasting, but even I knew I've made tastier things than what was here and that it wasn't worth the price AT ALL. I was able to get no cheese on 1/4 the little thing they call a pizza appetizer. We were running very low on money that evening, and none of us were expecting it to be so expensive so we were only able to pay for the food without leaving any kind of tip at all. It was unfortunate and I felt bad about it until a little later after we were done with the meal she noted we had not put a tip in there... then a while later they nearly blatantly ASKED for a tip from us when I was taking some pictures of the sunflower mural. Right before I left,(being the only one left in there as the rest of my family went back out into the car), she asked again. And I was already pretty ticked that they asked at first. I told her I'd see from my mom, but we didn't have anything, so I had to explain to her in clear terms "I'm sorry Ma'm, we are really low on money and we don't have enough even for a tip." and left.

Pros: Unique Food, Cullinary Art, Good Atmosphere, Liked the Art, One of the few veg restaurants in GA
  • hippublican hippublican

Dude, you can estimate in your head how much the bill is going to be before you actually order food. If you realized it was going to be too expensive and you wouldn't have money for a tip, you shouldn't have ate there! Not leaving a tip (on a $120 bill!!!) is about a hundred times more rude than having your bad etiquette pointed out to you by a waiter.

• Riku4245 Riku4245

The point wasn't that it was bad etiquette on our part, but that they shouldn't have said anything in the first place. Sometimes it happens, some people don't have all the money in the world, and I wasn't the one paying.
    It should NOT have cost that much in my opinion, and it wasn't a filling meal without costing that much.
    But if they needed a tip so bad, they should add a gratuity charge to the bill *instead* of asking for one. It's not like you go "GASP So rude! They didn't leave a tip!" Not to the person's face at least...

In my opinion, that's worse than not leaving a tip in the first place, and I wouldn't want to even give them a tip after being asked for one.

I've not left tips at some restaurants before, not enough money on me, etc. but no one asks out right, nor should they. If I didn't tip the first time for that reason, I'd probably tip more the second time when I had the money.

Sure I felt bad about it, at first before they asked, but there was nothing I could do about it after everyone already ordered their food.

• VeggieTails VeggieTails

Thank you, hippublican!!! As a former server, I can tell you that YOUR server was well within his or her rights to confront you about a tip. As a server, you work on tips; so if you didn't tip, he or she worked for free!!!

Cafe Sunflower has always had a friendly waitstaff and wonderful food. Again, if you can't do simple math in your head, buy a calculator or discontinue to eat out until you can learn how to be a positively contributing member of the human race.

• hippublican hippublican

So you regularly eat out without tipping? You SHOULD be called out on your rudeness. That's just unbelievable. The only reason EVER to not tip is for bad service- VERY bad service.
    And FYI - Most restaurants don't add mandatory gratuity onto the bill except for large parties. I'm sure your waiter assumed that you would have been a decent enough person to leave a tip without having it added to your bill.

If you can't afford to eat out, then eat at home.

• navski navski

I can't help but weigh in, even though everybody already said it. You seem to have a major misunderstanding about etiquette and the way a restaurant works. A waiter is a person, not a slave. There is nothing wrong about asking you for the tip since that is a server's salary, just like you would ask for your paycheck at work if they mysteriously didn't give it to you. Yes, if the service is horrible you can leave a small tip, but to not leave tips on a regular basis because you are low on money is utter rudeness and there's nothing wrong with another human being pointing it out, even twice. It doesn't matter if you aren't the one paying either - when I am treated to dinner by a cheapskate who doesn't leave enough, I add something myself to the tip so the waiter can get paid. Sorry, but tips in restaurants are obligatory in this country, not optional.

snowy11480
snowy11480

One of the BEST vegan restaurants on east coast!

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2009

I L-O-V-E-D this place! (Buckhead location) I don't live in atlanta and picked this restaurant solely based on a write up in Vegetarian Times, reviews online, and their website menu. I live in Philadelphia and wish we had this place up here too:) (We have Horizons so i can't complain!) I was going to visit a friend for her bday and me being vegan (she is vegetarian) wanted a new place with unique food and options for both of us. This place definitely fit the bill!

We had the fried green tomato appetizer (awesome) and split a house salad (wished we hadn't b/c it was nothing special, good but should have saved room for more dessert ha)to start. For entrees - She had the stuffed acorn squash and i had the walnut encrusted tofu cutlet. Both were excellent but we agreed the cutlet took top prize!! for dessert we shared a piece of the carrot cake and a slice of the chocolate cake.

The next night we ate at a nearby place and went BACK here to Cafe Sunflower for more dessert. We sampled more carrot cake of course, plus strawberry shortcake and a piece of the peanut butter chocolate mouse cake (there were 3 of us this night i promise ha). AHH all were good but the carrot cake takes best dessert prize For Sure!

I'm a bit puzzled by folks posting saying it was way too expensive. I mean sure its not cheap. But for a nice evening out, i thought the prices were right at any average dinner place out. Also, I had mapquested the directions from her place and drove myself. We found it just fine - they even give more specific directions on their website if needed.

The ambiance was great! nice decor and unique lighting. Waiters were dressed nicely as well in white button ups with black slacks and service was good. I can't wait until i have the opportunity to go back someday!!

Pros: Great Vegan food and desserts!, Easy to find and easy parking, Wonderful Ambiance
Cons: i seriously can't think of any, I tried to but can't! , Sorry!
Gloria
Gloria

Very Nice

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2009

We were pleasantly surprised by how nice Cafe Sunflower is. We were expecting a "cafe" and found the restaurant to be more than that. Clean, nice decor, attentive / knowledgable server, wonderful variety, tasty dinners, luscious desserts, generous portions. There were five of us and we ordered different foods so we could share. Everything was very good. A little expensive but well worth it.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
kristenjames
kristenjames

wow - fabulous!

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2008

I was traveling for work and in atlanta for 2 days and HAD to come back the 2nd night since the food was that good. I highly recommend Sunflower! Good wine list too!

Pros: great food , great wine
Cons: not open for lunch!
bengarland
bengarland

Yum. Even My Non-Veg Friends Love This Place!

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2008

Went to the Sandy Springs location a few times. Despite being located in a shopping center, this restaurant shines with comfortable decor, exceptional service, and delicious food. Their menu is very varied, with something sure to please everyone in your dinner party. The food is always fresh, flavorful, and original. The desserts are decadent, too.

I took my brother there, and even though he's NOT vegetarian at all he loves this place. Every time I come visit (he lives in Alpharetta), he always asks if we can go back -- I can't give a better recommendation than that!

Pros: delicous food, great value, attentive service
Cons: none
Juliette83
Juliette83

Great place for vegans!

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2008

This was the first truly vegan-friendly place I enjoyed since becoming vegan. The staff was friendly and helpful! The food was amazing. Best of all- the cake was 10x better than regular cake made with eggs and milk. If you ever get the chance to check it out, I suggest you do so!

Pros: Friendly staff, Excellent food, Best desserts
Cons: Pricey for the college student budget
gitanadelaluna
gitanadelaluna

Maybe Later

3 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2008

Just noting that they do not have any Raw dishes - and I was looked at in a weird way when I asked if they did. The menu looked great - but I didn't sit down to eat.

Pros: nice atmosphere
Cons: no raw
emeraldeyes180
emeraldeyes180

WAY OVER PRICED!

2 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2008

Decided to try out Sunflower Cafe on the recommendation of an acquaintance ... I would perhaps visit again for a very light lunch - but never for dinner. We came for dinner and it was very difficult to find (behind a lot of new construction in a strip mall.) I ordered the acorn squash and my boyfriend ordered the burrito. The price was $20 a plate! The waiter was in a tshirt, jeans and sneakers ... although he was pleasant the atmosphere overall was that of a crowded lunch dinner with the lights dimmed. There is no way this food / experience was worth $20 a plate. If I ever return it would be for a bowl of the $6 soup for a quick light lunch because nothing else is available. This is not the place for a romantic dinner.

Pros: decent menu selection
Cons: way over priced , cheap atmosphere
navski
navski

solid vegetarian fare

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2008

We liked this place pretty well. Reasonably creative, if somewhat pricey vegetarian and vegan choices, although with no menu markings to help distinguish between the two. Everything we had was extremely tasty and I'd happily return. Closed Sunday, though - that's not so great...

Pros: good food, lots of vegan, no wait
Cons: not cheap, closed Sunday
bird
bird

overrated

2 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

I will start by saying I really miss Lush. Cafe Sunflower just doesn't have the creative flavors and energy that place had.

The food is pretty bland and dry. Salt is vegan, guys! Try adding some spices.

If you like the desserts here (who doesn't?) go to Southern Sweets. They make them all and you can get a whole pie or cake for a lot cheaper and eat it after you eat at Green Sprout, Harmony or East Atlanta Thai. Anywhere that's both tasty and a lot cheaper than this overrated place.

I do have to say the service at Cafe Sunflower is absolutely excellent and the presentations are good.

Why is it so hippie in there? Please remodel.

Pros: service, healthy, good location
Cons: food flavor, price, decor
TinaGlenn
TinaGlenn

Need just a bit more variety

3 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2007

Although everything I have ever ordered from Cafe Sunflower has been excellent, the menu could benefit from a tad bit more variety. In that I mean, meals that appeal to those who are not die-hard vegetarians. Although I have been a vegetarian for 10+ years, this is not a place that I would want to take my non-vegetarian friends. Also, a tad bit pricey!

Pros: Nice Environment, Friendly Staff, Great Salads
Cons: Expensive, Not to much variety, Not very friendly to non-vege palates
kyvegan
kyvegan

vegan friendly fine dining!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2007

If you want a vegan "event dinner" in Atlanta, this is absolutely your best bet. The atmosphere is charming and the rotating selection of vegan deserts are unrivalled in the area. Some of the dishes are a little more style than substance, but if you have a classic like the soy steak fajitas you can't go wrong. Follow it up with the chocolate peanut butter pie and you'll be raving about the place for weeks!

Pros: tons of vegan deserts, charming atmosphere
Mimi123
Mimi123

ho hum

2 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2007

I was looking forward to going here, but was a bit disappointed. The food was on the bland side, and our server was not very attentive. Quite pricey for average food. Decor was extremely nice.

Pros: Great decor
Cons: Unoriginal food, Bland, Indifferent service

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Sunflower - Buckhead:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Atlanta page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/09/02