Cozy restaurant featuring artwork and an outdoor deck. Brunch on Sunday. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto
168 Old Chelsea (10 miles from Ottawa)
Chelsea, Quebec
613-827-7687

First Review by jeejee0
ariddles
ariddles

Worst experience ever

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2014

UPDATE: Summer 2014.

I was forced a by a group of friends to go here again this summer. The food is now extremely mediocre. The price was extortionate for a main course that was too small to even be an appetizer. Don't even bother. This place relies on a very undeserved reputation.

====
We had expected great things from this restaurant as many people had said it was good. Imagine our disappointment when it took two hours for our food to arrive. The order - 2 pizzas and a burrito - was not overly complex and although they were busy, when we pointed out after an hour that our food had not arrived the waitress said it was because they were busy and seemed very offended. In the end after watching two different sets of diners sit at the table next to us, order receive their meal, eat, pay and leave our food arrived. The burrito was good but the pizzas were plainer even than Boston Pizza. We received no kind of apology despite the fact we were very patient in our attitude. Unless you want appalling service from surly staff do not bother. I wish I could give it zero cows out of 5. I will certainly not eat here again.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 25, 2008

Pros: NOTHING
Cons: Staff were inattentive, Food is overpriced, Meal sizes are tiny
HereHere
HereHere

Brunch not vegan friendly

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2012

I went there for brunch and there wasn't anything vegan on the limited brunch menu. I'm sure they could make the oatmeal vegan friendly, but the menu relied heavily on dairy/eggs. The food, otherwise, was savory.

Pros: vegetarian, savory
Cons: vegan unfriendly
veggiebacon
veggiebacon

Mediocre, expensive food and bad service

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2011

After seeing several great reviews for this vegetarian restaurant, my parents and I decided to give it a try after a hike in the Gatineaus. We were incredibly disappointed with the food, the ambiance and the service.
Let me start by saying that this restaurant is very expensive for the quality of the food -- about as expensive as Chu Chai in Montreal or Zen Kitchen in Ottawa, both of which are much, much better restaurants. The restaurant is also very basic in its decor, and the service was incompetent at best (the server dropped cutlery on the ground several times and then gave it to us anyway).
My mother ordered the salad soup'herbe, my father ordered the thai curry and a root beer, and I had a veggie burger with tomato soup. The soup'herbe salad my mother ordered, which was $14 if memory serves, was a simple green salad with no cashews or avocadoes as it claimed on the menu. It consisted of some drab lettuce and a couple of slices of tomato and cucumber, and it was doused in Kraft salad dressing. Very disappointing.
The thai curry was inedible -- just disgusting. The curry sauce was some kind of viscous, sweet red mess. I tried it, and having been to Thailand, let me just say that there was nothing authentic about this -- I'd bet it came from a powdered curry mix. The rice on the side was stale. The server told my father that the root beer was homemade, but what she brought to the table was a bottle of Stewart's root beer -- definitely not homemade.
The veggie burger I ordered was simply one of those frozen veggie burger patties that you can buy at Provigo/Loblaws. The menu claimed that it had chutney, mayo and various other trimmings on it, but it came plain, and I had to ask for ketchip and mustard. If I hadn't been starving, I wouldn't have touched it. It came with some salad (just lettuce with a little grated carrot) that was doused in oil. The only decent part of the meal was the tomato soup, which was fine; however, I can make the exact same thing at home (there's a great recipe in Vegan With A Vengeance). Also, when the soup was served to me, there was soup running down the sides of the bowl, and the server spilled some on my lap without apologizing.
When we looked inside the restaurant before leaving, we could see that the people doing the cooking in the kitchen were about 18-21 years old. Maybe that explains the low quality of the food.
Unfortunately, we will not be going back to Cafe Soup'Herbe. It was overpriced and mediocre at best.

Cons: expensive, low-quality, unimaginative

gwild
gwild

nice deck with views of trees

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

It is located about 20 minutes from downtown Ottawa.
The service was slow, but it was a hot day and it was nice just to sit on the deck with the nice breeze and view of the trees. The waitress was very attentive and friendly. The atmosphere was inviting and perfect for a romantic date. The restaurant was busy and there were quite a few families at the time we were there.
The natchos for $12 were standard. The kids meals were each $8 and came with a small drink and a bowl of ice cream. My son had the pizza (see photo) which had a happy face on it which he loved. My daughter had a grilled cheese sandwich.
Most entrées were around $16 which seemed a little expensive to me. My husband had a pot pie which he loved. It was filled with veggies and tofu and covered in a mushroom sauce. I had a vegetable curry in filo pastry. It was filled with sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots and peas. Both entrées were generous and came with a large delicious salad. It was good, but next time I think I will try something else.

Updated from previous review on Sunday June 19, 2011

Pros: atmosphere, generous portions
Cons: bit pricey, long wait
Miaamici
Miaamici

Not a good experience...

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

We've had an experience quite similar to aridles' except that we ordered nachos as an appetizer, and vegetarian chili and curry. It took forever before they served the nachos and they were burnt and much too salty... just awful food. While we were waiting the manager was lighting candles at tables but never noticed we did not have one. Later on he would knock over a tray full of utensils, which fell on the floor with much noise... Since our two tables were uneven, I spilled a little beer and cleaned up with napkins... I told the waitress about it hoping she would wipe the table with a wet cloth... She just seemed annoyed... gave us two other napkins... We smelled the burnt food in the kitchen but never thought those were the nachos we ordered... Needless to say we told them we were not waiting for the remaining of the meal. I think the staff is not mean but just unprofessional and with no clue about what good service really means... Too bad... Too me, vegetarian food should not not exclude good service... At the end, the waitress ask us about our experience feeling we were unsatisfied customers... We tried not to provoke here : we just told about the burnt and salty food... and the waiting time for appetizers...

PrincessJulie
PrincessJulie

Fantastic Food for Everyone!

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

I LOVE this restaurant. I first learned of it when my aunt, who is not a vegetarian, picked it out for our family dinner, because we have 2 veggies and one vegan and we can never find anything to eat. At first, a couple of people in my family were skeptical (including my father who is a carnivore) but once we all got our food in front of us, no one had anything bad to say.
The staff is very knowledgeable and can communicate fluently in both french and english, and are very efficient. Sometimes, on their busier days, it has been a bit of a wait to get our food, but usually, it takes half and hour to 45 minutes.
The food is exquisite. I go back at whenever my budget can allow, because it is a bit expensive, but in my opinion it is SO worth it. The Chevrette salad is one of my favourite things and got fantastically with the red pepper and croissant open faced sandwich.
If you are vegetarian, vegan, or a carnivore like my father i definitely recommend it!

Pros: Amazing Food, Well Sized Portions, Bilingual Staff
Cons: a bit expensive, sometimes a bit of a wait for food
jeejee0
jeejee0

Amazing

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2007

I came here with my family last week. I think this is possibly my favourite vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to. Everything about it was wonderful. It's outside the city in a wooded area with fresh air, the interior of the restaurant is warm and inviting with artwork on the walls, and just the right amount of dim lighting. The menu is extensive, the service was charming, the food was outstanding... Even the water was served well, in large decorated glass bottles which were left on the table for us to refill our glasses as needed. An absolutely delightful experience.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Amazing Food, Out of the city
Cons: Out of the city

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Soup'Herbe: