A cute little all vegan cafe, with a nice space to relax. Offers items like curries, pizza, and falafel. Address in Japanese: 東京都中野区上高田3-16-9 伊東ビル1F. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Japanese, Western, Pizza

NinomaeJyuuichi
NinomaeJyuuichi

Amazingly good!!

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2015

This was my favourite restaurant in Tokyo. Bear in mind the hours when coming here though (I believe the hours here are wrong, as when we went it closed at 3PM with last order at 2:30PM). I had the karaage bown (fried soy meat with brown rice and veggies) and my partner had a falafel. Both were amazingly delicious! The cook/owner really has a thing for flavours and how to make them work perfectly, I was honestly impressed by that. We also had ume (plum) juice carbonated and that was delicious too. We took a couple of muffins to go as well but they weren't as good as what I'm used to in the US but still not bad. Prices were very reasonable, dishes around 1000en each and drinks around 300-500en if I recall. Highly recommended and the owner is super nice. I don't know if she speaks English though since my partner and I spoke only Japanese (menu was in Japanese as well). Would come back again in a heartbeat. You can take a bus from Nakano station too if you want to avoid the Seibu line to get here.

Pros: Best tasting food I've had in Tokyo, Very reasonable prices, Cute decor inside and homely feeling
Cons: Location is a bit out of the way
MsVyv
MsVyv

Fantastic, friendly, homestyle

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2014

Down a side street near the Araiyakushimae Station (take the Seibu-Shinjuku line from Takadanababa Station, South exit, left, walk along - the map is accurate. I walked from Nakano Station, as that was near the place I was staying, but that might be a bit far for some) this place is a welcome relief if you're missing the style of homely, healthy vegan food readily available in most large Western cities. If you are Australian, think Newtown/Glebe in Sydney, Fitzroy in Melbourne, and you won't be far off.

The space feels homely and is clean and spacious and well lit - 4 bench seats, one table for 4 and three for 2 with lots of space in-between makes this larger than many of the local eateries. Access is better than most, with a fairly gentle sloped step up from the street and space between tables to manoeuvre. Decor involves wooden tables, crocheted coasters, nice plants and an antinuclear banner.

The proprietor/chef, Hiro, speaks good English and is friendly and happy to walk you through the fairly brief Japanese-only menu. Options include Indian style curries (one or two types), vegan pizza, felafel pockets, a japanese-style vegan set and a special. I was hungry, so chose the two curry option (root vegetable and a split chickpea and eggplant curry), which comes with brown rice and a generous fresh and delicious salad, with two tiny bonus felafels. Everything tasted freshly cooked and although there was nothing startlingly original about the food, it was prepared with care and attention and good ingredients.

Excellent. Highly recommended for anyone craving this style of vegan food, which seems hard to find in Tokyo, and the whole place is friendly and charming and welcoming. This deserves to be very popular.

Pros: Food is great, fresh and well cooked, Proprietor is friendly, speaks English, Space is calm, clean, welcoming
Cons: Very few cons! Short menu, maybe?, Not in major tourist area
MidnightSun112
MidnightSun112

nice homecooked vegan meal

Posted on 04 / 18 / 2014

I ventured out here to try this place and had an enjoyable meal. It's within 5 minutes of the station and the interior is cozy. The menu is not so large but has a nice selection and is one of few places where you can get vegan Japanese-style curry. My friend and I shared the vegan pizza, the 2 curry set, and the Cafe Rappa plate. Everything was nicely flavored and those 3 items provided ample portions for us. There were lots of beautiful fresh vegetables. Prices are quite reasonable. The friendly owner explained that he is interested in all natural/organic foods that are additive-free. I didn't try any sweets myself but all the other customers had ordered some so they appear to be popular. For non-Japanese speaking customers, the owner can speak some English.

Pros: good flavor, well-prepared, fresh ingredients
Cons: out-of-the-way location, a few more menu items would be nice

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Rappa: