Serves meat, veg options available. Previously all vegetarian. Offers a few veg options. A breakfast and lunch cafe. Food is made on the premises. Juices, smoothies, vegan crepes and pancakes, baked goods, sandwiches, fruit, salads, coffee and tea, and more. Uses honey. Has wireless internet. Free cooking classes Fri 6pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, International, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by YogaMama 4ever
adamrowland
adamrowland

Good atmosphere, disappointing food

3 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

We stayed in Montezuma for 3 nights and ventured out into the town on two of those nights. Both of which we came to Cafe Organico.

I'd read the previous reviews of this place but kept an open mind. We'd walked passed earlier in the day but despite saying they were open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, it was sadly closed (this could have been due to it being quite quiet in town)

The Cafe itself has a quaint Costa Rican look about it, with a porch and large covered eating area. There are interesting works of art on the walls with cool lamps hanging over each of the tables. There is also an outdoor performance area where they have live music and open mic night every Monday.

The menu here is not as bad as other people seem to have reported. Sure, this is not a wholly veg place, but the number of veg/vegan options is definitely good for a very small town on the edge of the Nicoya Peninsula in Costa Rica!!

The service was laid-back. Some could interpret this as bad service (indeed, I had to ask for cutlery!) but this is a laid back town and we certainly were in a laid-back frame of mind so why worry?! However, the service was very friendly and our server was very happy to engage us in conversation (part of the reason we went back the next night)

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the previous reviews regarding the food. I had a salad which had chickpeas, tofu, spinach and parsley. Actually, that was it! No flavour, quiet dry and definitely lacking any imagination. I did get a bottle of balsamic vinegar to go with it though! My partner had Guacamole which was overly salty and seemed like a jar of salsa mixed in with avocado. He also ordered the plaintain chips which came plain (no dip).

They advertise that they have freshly baked cakes and cookies every day (vegan and non-vegan). Sadly, no cookies. However, they did have a vegan cake (very dry). The next night, the same selection of cakes remained and still no cookies.

Over all, this place is probably somewhere to go and hangout with a coffee or beer and enjoy the atmosphere. I felt it had a good vibe and loved the super-cute cats that came and slept around the cafe. Having not tried their entrees, I can't comment on that element of the menu. However, what I did try was quite disappointing.

But lets remember that this place is in rural Costa Rica and the fact you can get vegan lasagne out here should be praised no matter if it doesn't live up to better big-city vegan places.

Pros: Atmosphere, Friendly Servers, Live music
Cons: Food, Inconsistent opening times, Baked goods
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

Dont waste your time or money!

1 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

"Previously all vegetarian. Now has some veg options." That says it all, Im not sure why they are still on this website. I was excited to eat here after reading the other reviews but obviously something has gone terribly wrong. My girlfriend wasn't feeling well and just wanted a plain salad. She got cheap green lettuce with a couple slices of tomato and cucumber in a small bowl and a smaller bowl of dry rice. This cost $9, which is quite expensive, even in a tourist town. I ordered an app that was a few pieces of plain tofu and tomato that was covered in oregano. It was aweful. I also ordered the curry, I received a soup bowl full of coconut milk that had some curry powder stirred into it. In the bottom of the bowl was a scoop of the same dry rice. This meal was horrible and our bill was just over $30. We were both still hungry and very disappointed with the food. I seriously doubt it was organic. The condiments on the tables certainly are not and were bought from the local grocery store. We could have spent $5 at the same store and made the same dishes. Our service was also pretty lousy. I think she was probably just another traveller trying to make a buck while on the road. She was too busy chatting with people to care to check if our food was ok. I had to flag her down to get our bill and since I didnt have change I had to wait for it. She was obviously hoping I would leave without it, but I didnt think they deserved tip of nearly $10. When she finally brought my change because I was getting up and looking for her. She brought me a plate full of coins. They couldnt find any bills? The place had quite a few full tables, I dont know why, but they must have had proper change. I left some of the change for her tip. I left here with a bad taste in my mouth, from the food and the way we were treated. There are many more restaurants in Montezuma that will give you good healthy veg food at a better price and with good service. Dont waste your time or money here.

Pros: location
Cons: expensive price for small quantity, horrible service, poor quality
lord vegan
lord vegan

not like i remembered it...

2 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2011

i remember i first went to this place approximately 3 years ago and found it to be the best place i had eaten in costa rica! i swore that this place was vegan or at least vegetarian like it currently suggests on happycow, but it's not!! i'll return tomorrow, but not to eat. friendly folks work there, but the food is overpriced, not exclusively vegetarian/vegan, and it's really not that great for the very few veg-friendly options they have on the menu.

Pros: service, location, hours
Cons: price, food, not veggie anymore

Dian719
Dian719

One of the best places in the world

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2010

This is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. I could eat at this place everyday. Everything on the menu sounds so good it is difficult to decide what to order. I stayed in Montezuma longer than planned because of this restaurant.

doug20000
doug20000
  • non-vegetarian

A Part of the Community

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2009

Cafe Organico is a huge member of the Montezuma community. They provide interesting classes, make awesome food, and are run by some of the friendliest most amazing staff I have had the pleasure of meeting. You can't go to Montezuma and miss out on this gem! GO!

Pros: Great staff, unique food, good value
YogaMama 4ever
YogaMama 4ever

Outstanding creativity!

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2008

Just came back from Costa Rica where I was pleased to find some good vegetarian restaurants. The Gold Medal goes without any doubt to Organico in Montezuma. Everything is absolutely delicious and the chill room is such a great idea! Will be back for more of these incredible vegan ice creams!

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Organico: