This cafe relocated from Bank Street and switched from non-veg to all-vegan menu and more upscale restaurant in early-2014. Offers a small, changing seasonal menu and cocktails. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Canadian, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out
1015 Wellington St W
Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 2Y1
613-733-0707
OPEN NOW

Tue 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wed-Thu 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:30pm, Fri-Sun 11:00am-2:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm

First Review by hilstad
HereHere
HereHere

Positive experience

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2014

It's been a few months since I was at the new location, but I had the raw lasagna (which sounded a bit scary), but I was surprised at how tasty it was, including the vegan cheese. The portion was ample, but on the small side.
The lunch menu is a bit pricey for the value, so I would only go there for dinner.
Service was friendly.

Pros: Tasty, healthy
Cons: smaller portions, noisy environment
katiebird
katiebird

Good food, nice place

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2014

I used to go to Cafe My House a lot before they moved across town; I haven't been to the new location yet. With that caveat, I've almost always enjoyed the food there. Walnut "cheese" burger with kale was probably my fav. Staff have always been friendly and helpful. Delicious desserts.

Pros: Delicious food
DanaVegan
DanaVegan

Very good

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

I loved visiting Café My House. I am a vegan, and it is hard to find fully vegan restaurants to dine at, especially in Ottawa. I had the tempeh cheeseburger on a waffle (they were out of sourdough buns when I went) and it was delicious! Their tropical smoothie was very good too. My grandma had their omega 3 flax waffles and she loved it as well. Our server was very friendly and welcoming. I just wish this restaurant wasn't so hard to get to. There isn't many food choices to choose from on the lunch menu, though. It is a bit more expensive than other places. The restaurant is very cozy and quaint.

Pros: Great food, Good service, Nice ambience
Cons: Difficult to get to, Not many food choices, Can be a bit expensive

Lola Crumpet
Lola Crumpet

It is her house and she will let you know it

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

Food is okay, but scarce. Not good value.
Condescending service, it is her house and for
sure your questions aren't welcome.
Okay if you don't mind leaving hungry, and with
socially invoked stomach pain.

Pros: Clean
Cons: Small portions, Condescending service, In the burbs
Vegansweet
Vegansweet

Disappointed again

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2014

I once was a regular at this establishment, but after a few incidents of rude service, not producing real bills, and at one of their special events we were not even served the food until over an hour of waiting, and in one case one member of our group did not receive any food so we had to share ours, We decided to never go back.

Well we decided to try the Valentines dinner at $50 a person, expecting a special Valentine meal sure to delight. We were WRONG again.

There was absolutely nothing special about the meal, kale salad, vegetable salad, eggplant stack, and some other little side along with the smallest dessert cheesecake we have ever seen. I do not consider that a 4 course dinner as promised.

So what was supposed to be a wondrous meal, turned out to be absolutely nothing special at all at a very high price!

We should have stuck with our 'gut" and went to Zen Kitchen, instead of giving Cafe My House one more chance of redemption.

Lesson learned, we will never go there again nor recommend to anyone.

Cons: over priced for very small portions, meals nothing special and poor service, 4 course dinner NOT as promised
josee.91
josee.91

One of my all-time favourites

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2013

Beautiful restaurant, gourmet all-vegan food. Great experience everytime I go.

Pros: amazing quality, gourmet, fresh juices&smoothies
Cons: small dinner menu
saveur
saveur

Delicious

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

I can usually be quite harsh, but this resto was great. I had the beach bowl which I really liked. Each component was nice individually and worked really well altogether: Although it had brown rice instead of the advertised quinoa. it had (not spicy) kimchi, coconut bacon, avocado, carrot noodles, lemony kale and a ?almond dressing.... SO GOOD!!!

My omni friends liked their meals, including their first intro to tempeh.

PS: This resto was nearly entirely vegan. I just spotted eggs on their brunch menu. Did not see any meat.

Pros: delicious flavours, wide variety of food, enthusiastic server
Cons: menu did not reflect kitchen, no quinoa
MarkMilliken
MarkMilliken

The best Vegan restaurant in Ottawa.

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

My wife and friends have been to this Vegan Restaurant about ten times in the last year, the food has always been excellent, from the starters to mains to the delicious desserts. Had a chance to eat in some Vegan restaurants in New York City, and this restaurant compares very favourably to them as well. We will be back again very soon.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Very nice atmosphere
Zaria_Athena
Zaria_Athena

OK

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

I really want to love and support this restaurant but I'm luke-warm.
I've been there for brunch and lunch.
I find it quite expensive for what you get. It's alright but not fabulous.
I did not like that Tofurkey sausages are used. I can cook those at home and honestly, I can cook them better than they were cooked.
I think there are better options in Ottawa.

Pros: Some good options
Cons: Expensive
championdumonde
championdumonde

A vegan fiesta! Tempeh lovers unite!

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2012

One of the only places in town where tempeh is actually on the menu. Their tempeh burrito, tempeh cheeseburger (daiya cheese!) and tempeh benedict are all amazing.

I've been coming here for over a year an a half with friends and family as groups from 2 to 12. The staff is helpful and smiling. Weekends can be busy so reservations are smart.

Overall, the menu is diverse and although it also has some meat and egg options, most of my carnivorous friends who have been there usually go for the spaghetti or the curry and always leave satisfied.

Pros: tempeh!, diverse menu, awesome staff
Petesternz
Petesternz

Very Solid Ottawa Option

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2011

I thought My House was a nice addition to the Ottawa scene. This is one of the places that makes life difficult for Happy Cow, as it is defined as a "meat serving" place, but unlike 90% of the places that normally fall into that category, the meat dishes are the rarity here. I am vegan, and had the pick of the menu, with only a few dishes including fish or meat of some sort. We ordered a few things, and all were very good. I enjoyed the French Toast, and the mini burgers were both cute and yummy. Good shakes as well. I think this place was very good, and I'd come again. It is deserving of four stars, though I continue to hate the Happy Cow policy that limits meat serving restos to four cows. In my view, the quality of the place and the food served should be the priority here. That said, in this case, four is fair.

NCVA
NCVA

More vegan-friendly than many veg restaurants

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2011

Cafe My House is a reflection of the people who run it (one is a vegan), and its location (just on the fringe of central Ottawa, not in an overly vegan area). It is mostly vegan, and totally delicious. It's a nice sit down place; unpretentious, comfortable, and with a hugely varying menu. They specialize in vegan brunch, but also have some amazing entrees.

Listing it as veg-friendly, while true, since it does serve some meat, almost does it a disservice. I have been to "vegetarian" restaurants so heavy on the eggs and cheese that a vegan has few options. A vegetarian restaurant that relies on dairy and eggs is no better to a vegan than a completely omnivorous restaurant.

At Cafe My House, vegan is the norm, and the majority. See for yourself: http://www.veganlifeatmyhouse.com/p/menu.html

I have given it four stars only because that's the maximum allowed for non-veg restaurants. I have never tried anything I didn't like. Personal favorites include the Healthy Me Breakfast, Macrobiotic Mini Burgers, and Creamy Soba Noodles. My partner's favorite is the Veg Bi-Bim-Bop.

National Capital Vegetarian Association (www.ncva.ca) members get a 10 per cent discount here.

Pros: Amazing brunch, Healthy but not crunchy, Extremely knowledgeable about veganism
Cons: Some meat!
  • Petesternz Petesternz

Couldn't agree more. The limitation by Happy Cow is at its most ridiculous here. I have been to "vegetarian" restaurants where I couldn't eat a single thing on the menu - but they are still eligible for five cows. It's complete nonsense. A "meat serving" restaurant that caters extensively to vegan is better than a veggie resto that is all dairy and cheese, in my opinion. They should be treated equally.

veganmonica
veganmonica

Excited to try, but not impressed.

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2010

When I go to restaurants I usually judge by whether I could make this same meal, and better at home.
Unfortunately, I would've been much better off cooking at home rather than here.
I ordered the vegan breakfast (grilled veggies, one piece of rye toast and sausages) and potatoes on the side.
The potatoes were well cooked, but they had absolutely no seasoning.
The grilled veggies on the plate were also cooked well, although the beans tasted funny, almost like lighter fluid, which was strange and I'm probably totally off here.
The toast was, well, a piece of toast. Nothing exciting there.
The sausages are what truly disappointed me. My breakfast came with two big Tofurky sausages. I recognized them, but having only tried the Italian flavour previously, I can't say for certain whether these were the beer brat or kielbasa flavour, but they tasted kinda like weird hot dogs.
They were very unevenly cooked, barely grilled except for one side. The sauce served underneath the sausages was delicious (especially to dip my unseasoned potatoes in) but didn't complement the sausage one bit.
And two sausages is a giant waste of food (and almost 600 calories!) I can't imagine anybody eating this entire meal.
Do the owners of this restaurant know that Tofurky also makes a breakfast style sausage? That would be a huge improvement.
Serving packaged food that I can buy at any grocery store really bugs me.
I was with my mother, who ordered the vegetable-leek soup that they had that day, which tasted quite salty and seemed to have at least part of a mix in it (contained those small dehydrated red pepper flakes, for example)

The cafe itself is lovely, staff was polite, and the presentation of the meals was gorgeous without being pretentious. But the food itself was truly disappointing, and completely overpriced. I won't be returning, at least not unless there's a menu change.

Pros: beautiful presentation, polite staff
Cons: expensive food, mediocre food, poor location, little parking
eatdancelive
eatdancelive
  • raw

The best concept restaurant ever

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

What's better than to be able to eat with all your friends at the same table and not have to worry about who can eat what? Cafe My House has mastered the concept by having options that are vegan, raw, vegetarian, and even omnivorous! They're food is delicious and very decently priced, it's also organic and local (whenever possible) which is a huge bonus!
I would have given it five stars but it's not an option for non-100% veggie restaurants.

hilstad
hilstad
  • raw

Something for everyone

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

Ever have to find a place for that you can go with the die-hard "if it ain't got meat, it ain't dinner" person, but want to hold to your veg ethics? You know you have.

This is the place. I've taken everyone here from the 'I only eat steak' to the 'high raw' diners and they've all found something they've loved. Staff is attentive, fast and, here's a special treat, playfully intelligent.

Pros: Great food, Great staff, Incredible variety
Cons: Odd location

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe My House: