Serves meat, veg options available. Has some vegetarian dishes and several vegan. Live music daily. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
711 NW 2nd Court (Nye Beach)
Newport, Oregon 97365

milesc
milesc

Great tacos

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2014

Cafe Mundo has an eclectic vibe to it, and the food is great. I enjoyed the tempeh tacos with vegan savory sauce, which were great, especially with the house-made green salsa. The service was a little slow, but the staff were very friendly. I'll definitely be stopping by again when I'm in the area.

tofupotpie
tofupotpie

Best place to stop in Newport

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

Cafe Mundo has a quirky atmosphere and decor plus a lovely light-filled upper floor (before sundown, anyhow) that is a nice touch. They have vegetarian/vegan items noted on their menu which is always appreciated.

Overall, the food isn't amazing and it's slightly more expensive than I would expect, but that doesn't stop me from going back whenever I'm in Newport because it is suitable, satisfying, and a very decent option in Newport - which doesn't have a lot of vegan-friendly restaurants. We've tried eating elsewhere and really prefer Cafe Mundo after "shopping around" by trying other options in the Nye Beach area.

Our favorite item on the menu (and my recommendation) is definitely the tempeh bento bowl. It has a tasty mix of flavors and the savory sauce makes the dish. We usually ask for an extra side of sauce to slather it over the rice, tempeh, and vegetables.

Cafe Mundo also hosts live music at night, especially on the weekends, and it has a nice community feel when locals gather there to enjoy the music.

Pros: vegetarian options labeled on menu, coffee/espresso bar too, decor and atmosphere
Cons: also serves meat, prices a bit high
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Yuck

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

The vegan options are pretty slim and the food is tasteless. Plus, it is very expensive. I got the greek veggie pita which was just a pita wrapped around lettuce and chopped veg with hummus. It was $9! Ridiculous.

They do have their own home-brewed kombucha, which is pretty good.

kindlizard
kindlizard

Good spot on the Coast

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

A totally funky, artsy, bright, clean cafe with a great outdoor setup in Nye Beach district, Cafe Mundo has several vegan options. Let me detail the good first:

Other than the feel of the place which I think is welcoming, as is the staff, the beverages were an instant hit. They have Ninkasi on tap and the Pinot my sweetie had was nice also. (I am not the biggest Ninkasi fan, but its nice to have a local option on the Coast that is less than $5/pt.)

The salad that accompanied the tempeh samich was very nice; all the Greens were vibrant and seemed very fresh. I can't tell you what a peeve it is to be served black greens elsewhere, so I try to give credit when it is proper.

The tempeh is locally made in Burnt Wood, and was very tasty. Kudos!

The coffee was excellent (a rarity seemingly on the Coast)!!

I like this place and it would be among my suggestions for the Coast. I will come back and try the tempeh burger w/o the sauce.

Oh, and the non-vegan dessert is reportedly amazing. A mix berry pie. Too bad I couldn't try my wife's it looked good.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 27, 2010

Pros: tempeh, vibes & folks
Cons:
  • mamamundo mamamundo

Hello, Thank you for the great review of Cafe Mundo! We appreciate hearing our customer feed back. The vegan sauce we make in house is made from Tofu and is not a fake mayonnaise..without giving the recipe away, it also contains Braggs Aminos and Brewers yeast! Just don't want you all to think we are serving you anything unhealthy! Happy Spring! Mamamundo

MesaChelli
MesaChelli

Mondo good

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

We were helpless to resist the extremely fresh tempeh options. Tempeh fries with peanut sauce! Tempeh burger with mixed greens! A tempeh bowl! An organic beer. Delicious, all of it. Blackberry cobbler-type dessert, right out of the oven, over-the-top fantastic. The decor was worldly, funky. Everyone was friendly and the kitchen can rightly be proud of its work. If I ever get to Newport again (and I hope I do), Cafe Mundo is on my to-do list.

bjburley
bjburley

Good Food, Fun and Hip Atmosphere

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2008

I loved the atmosphere! It was very earthy and welcoming. I had the Tempeh Bento bowl. It was very good, the Tempeh had a really strong flavor, but the veggies were wonderful. My mom's Red Coconut Curry Tofu which was very good!! My brother and dad, who are both big meat eaters, really enjoyed the Chicken Cesear Salad and Grilled Steak with Polenta. Both of them said they were pleasantly suprised by how good the food tasted and would definitely come back! Overall it was very very good food and along with the live music, atmosphere, and great waiters, very entertaining! I would definitely reccomend it!

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Mundo: