Billed as "the vegetarian and vegan waterhole," this cafe offers a simple menu that includes 2 veg burgers and 1 noodle soup; falafel offered on Friday. Busy on weekends. Loud music. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, American
10844 82nd Ave (Old Strathcona)
Edmonton, Alberta
780-433-9702

Open Mon-Fri 11am-8pm, Sat 10am-8pm.

First Review by greensky_888
EdwardSmith
EdwardSmith

Okay...

3 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2013

Not bad. Did not like the loud music. The menu states on front cover something like "we like loud music.." Many people do, but I don't. For that reason alone, I won't be back.

To be fair the food I had was good (lunch time). Small restaurant. Waitress was friendly enough. Mismatched salt and pepper shakers.

Seems like a restaurant that is trying hard but it is not for me. I beleive there is only street parking but could be wrong...

Pros: Good food , Friendly , Nice choices
Cons: Loud music, Small restaurant, Street parking
pfalvo
pfalvo

OK if it's your only option

2 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

It takes a lot for a vegetarian restaurant to disappoint me. This is one I won't be going back to unless I have no other option.

It's a very small place, but we waited 15 minutes just to get menus. Music is too loud for conversation. The "wings" were dry, almost burned, and overprices. Water is served in soft plastic glasses. (A veg place should know better). Limited holiday hours.

In the past, I've enjoyed great veggie breakfast here. Gotta say though I was surprised to see hot poached eggs served in plastic dish - and the plastic was cracked, no less!

On a previous visit, server placed a whack of candy canes in front of our kid - not exactly what I look forward to at a healthy restaurant.

Updated from previous review on Sunday January 10, 2010

Pros: vegetarian food, location
Cons: plastic dishes, candy, too loud for coversation
Petesternz
Petesternz

Not wild about this place....

3 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2013

There are a few OK choices here, but portions are tiny and the food is nothing special. I have been a couple of times and now have just stopped. It's not worth it.

MichaelKalmanovitch
MichaelKalmanovitch

Mystery Burger - Yummy mystery

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

Stopped into Cafe Mosaics after not being there for a few years. I had the Mystery Burger and was VERY impressed. Tan (the owner) brought out a sample of the vegan lemon cake she makes and that was really delicious. I will start to go there more often because the food is so good.

the_vegbrarian
the_vegbrarian

Great tofu burger!

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

I love Cafe Mosaic's spicy bomb tofu burger, the sauce is absolutely mouth watering. I go here about once a month, and I usually order the same thing every time! The caesar salad can be made vegan and is really good too. The restaurant itself is a bit of a hole in the wall, but the value and portion size is excellent.

Pros: TOFU BURGER!, falafel friday, good value
Cons: Kind of ugly decor, bad for big groups
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

Small but good

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

I love this place. I have been coming here for years. Randomly every time I go the menu seems different. Not a bad thing though. Sometimes things are added, other times things are taken off. Not sure why but it doesn't matter. I could live on their veggie burgers. Make sure to ask for your meal made vegan because they do use dairy and some things have cheese on them. The menu usually tells you what can be made vegan though.

Pros: Good food, Large portions
Cons: A little pricey, Super tiny, Staff a little pretenous
Profound_Raincloud
Profound_Raincloud

My Valentine's Restaurant!

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

Cafe Mosaics is a favorite of mine and my fiance! The atmosphere is great. I love the ever changing art on the walls. They have a simple but great menu! That is expanding. I have to admit I have only had a few items on the menu as I love the Creamy Portabella Pasta and always wrestle when I come as to whether I should try something new or stick with the Creamy Portabella Pasta. I see they now have a vegan Pho, so this may be one of my next taste adventures when out for lunch!

Pros: generous portions, good value, great atmosphere
Cons: slow service
Faris A.
Faris A.

Its not worth the fuss

2 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2011

I've been hearing for years how good this restaurant is supposed to be, but I've had 2 poor experiences with it and I'm not even interested in trying again.
Even though it was 20 minutes before they were supposed to close, my boyfriend and I were turned away because they wanted to leave early. This was supposed to be out anniversary dinner and it was supposed to be a big deal but they were too busy for customers. We didn't even get an apology, we just got shoo'd out.
I tried to go again, a year later thinking that maybe it was just a one time thing but no. There was one other table busy and you could see there were 3 people working. I ended up waiting for longer than would be OK for anywhere that small and not busy before the server could be bothered with me. There were snarky signs up about the music choices and the atmosphere just felt forced. All of the food was stupidly over priced and barely any of it was vegan, they didn't even have soy milk for coffee, and the whole menu seemed like it was eggs and cheese. The way everything was written up, it seemed like unless I got a 15.00 pita with falafel, it wouldn't be easy to tell if it was vegan and that's not the kind of thing you mess around with people about. You can go to pretty much any restaurant and get something vegetarian, but I wouldn't expect such a lack of effort from a vegetarian and "vegan" cafe. Due to the lack of vegan options and just horrible attitude, I wouldn't go back and I would never ever reccommend it to a friend

Pros: easy to find
Cons: price, apathetic staff
Annabel09
Annabel09

"Meh"

2 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2011

Everytime I go to cafe mosaics I walk out of there indifferent. Is the food amazing? No, but it isn't horrible either. Their chili is bland, their pasta is too greasy, their breakfast is boring and the salad needs to change. The only items on the menu that I enjoy are the secret burrito and the vegan chocolate cake9which I can easily bake at home). The service leaves very much to be desired and I hope whoever is in charge soon realizes that hipsters and scene kids do not make very good customer service oriented servers. Cafe Mosaics has a lot of potential but until the cooks learn to be original and give their food something special, I won't be returning, especially considering the nasty service I get every single time.

Pros: Local, Very nice art, Moderately priced
Cons: Bad service, Bland food, Messy
EC
EC

gross

2 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

Cafe Mosiacs would be a great a place if they had someone with food and sanitation knowledge. but for now we have to resort to a filthy atmosphere and food that can barely compare to those of a TV dinner. their menu, much like their staff is exhausted.

Pros: Falafal friday
Cons: dirty, zero consistancy
Madeleine_NoSlash
Madeleine_NoSlash

D-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s !

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2009

My first visit to this restaurant and I would definately go back! I had a cup of the Vegan Tomato and Garlic Soup and a small Ceasar Salad (vegan without the cheese) and was both stuffed and happy! Delicious large portion sizes will definately have me coming back!

Pros: Vegan Options, Resonable Prices, Very Tasty!
Cons: Small, Tiny bit noisy
eeeparsnip
eeeparsnip
  • non-vegetarian

great food, horrible service

3 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2009

As said before, the gruesome service takes away from the otherwise cozy atmosphere and yummy food

Pros: YUMMY, cozy, nice music (not too loud)
Cons: staff
Alexina1
Alexina1

Tasty

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

I just got back from eating at this café, I'm so happy I went =) the food I ordered was very tasty! I got their pancakes ( which are Vegan, w/o the butter) They were sooo good reminded me of cornbread mmm As well I added fresh fruit very cheap under 10$ and you get 3 huge pancakes! Maybe they hired new staff or something because I received great service and they very quick and the place was packed (on a Sunday around 1) I will defiantly be going there again during the weekdays to try the vegan Chocolate cake I've herd so much about ... ;)

Pros: Vegan Options , Great Value, Friendly staff
Cons: Smaller (who cares)
shesh
shesh

Good for breakfast

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

Very cute little spot for breakfast on Whyte Ave. They have a much larger menu when it's not Weekend Brunch. Not 100% vegan, but is 100% vegetarian.

Pros: large portions, made to order food, very cute atmosphere
Cons: crowded, service can be slow
skymonkey
skymonkey

good breakfast

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2008

taking the advice of previous reviews, we came in on a weekday for breakfast to avoid the crowds. it is a cool little restaurant. the service was quite good. the menu was small, but the food was innovative and very good. we recommend the "cowgirl" breakfast dish. it was excellent.

veganarchist
veganarchist

ups and downs

3 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2007

i visited cafe mosaics several times during my stay in edmonton this august. many of the dishes can be altered for a vegan, which is great. i liked the atmosphere and music of the place. the food was consistent and fairly tasty. i found the serving staff to be inconsistent - some where very friendly, others would just plop something down on your table without saying boo with a very apathetic attitude. i found other inconsistencies too - i asked for a side of salsa with a particular meal. the first time or two i asked for this, it was included. one of two other times (i went there a lot) they charged me $1.50 for the salsa (which i think they should mention if it will me extra, but whatever.) and another time someone actually charged $2.oo for this little side of salsa (about two tablespoons worth, I'd say) - which seems a little ridiculous. But it was more the fact that the price was inconsistent that bothered me a lot.

another time, i asked to substitute soy ice cream with the chocolate ganache when i ordered the fruit crisp. i've done this before several times. but the most recent time i was charged extra for the ganache. again - inconsistency is not good.

Pros: atmosphere, vegan friendly
Cons: some staff unfriendly, inconsistency in price
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi vegananarchist, I thought your review was pretty helpful. I've also been to this place a few times and had a similar experience

karyn mott
karyn mott

Good Food

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2007

Lots of options, serves breakfast all day and does lunch and dinner
has the best chocolate vegan cak in the city and have a fruit crips too!!!
lot's of vegan friendly food, all vegetarian!!

Pros: tastiness, service
greensky_888
greensky_888

Poor Customer Service!

2 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2007

>Loud music- not able to have a conversation.
>Staff- is rude & look like they just got out of bed.
>Food service- Very slow....waited over an hour for simple dishes!

Pros: vegan, good tasting, non-smoking enviroment
Cons: loud music, rude staff, very slow service

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Mosaics: