Cafe Morgenrot

This Berlin vegetarian cafe evokes an atmosphere of a meeting place for young political activists and punks, and kinda like a beer house. About 80-90% vegan. Some items are pay-what-you-can within a given range between 5 and 9 Euros. Between Thursday and Thursday they sell a daily vegan soup, vegetarian quiche, and different sweets (like vegan snickers and vegan cakes). Friday til Sunday a vegan-vegetarian buffet. Also sells cakes on the weekend. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, German, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Kastanienallee 85 (/btwn Schwedter Strasse and Oderberger Strasse)
Berlin, Germany 10435
030-44317844

Open Tue-Thur 12pm-1am, Fri-Sun 11am-1am.

• Cash only

First Review by SarahLouise
roxette521
roxette521

Fun bar, great brunch

4 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

The bar is nice to come to in the evenings for some drinks. You can hang out by yourself as well, use the computer of WiFi. It really does have a co-op feel. However, there will not be much food. They really might just have a hummus platter.

Weekend buffet brunch is great. The dishes are simple, but there are many of them, mostly vegan, with many very delicious vegan spreads. They price is flexible, and we were happy to pay the maximum, because we really were very satisfied.

Don't expect fast or friendly service here, but the people working the bar aren't mean. They're just keeping it cool and grungy.

Pros: Cool atmosphere, Delicious brunch, WiFi
Cons: Spotty service
jon active
jon active

A breakfast as good as it gets!

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2013

I had the Morgenrot breakfast buffet a few years ago and it was so good that I had to go again! It's still as good! Shame its not all vegan but its 80% vegan and the banana and coconut salad with coriander was sooo good! Well worth rolling out of bed at midday and heading across to central Berlin for.

Pros: Eat as much as you like breakfast buffet, Lots of yummy home made dips etc, nice place and not expensive
Cons: Its in Berlin! (thats a joke!), not 100% vegan
Captain Mainwearing
Captain Mainwearing

I Love Morgenrot Kollectiv!

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

This is my absolute favourite place to eat in Berlin!

The buffet breakfast is wonderful, with an enormous range to suit all veggie tastes.

Maybe sit outside on a good day (or if you feel brave wrap up warmly for the cold ones) and watch the wonderful world of Berlin go by.

Pros: I feel I'm supporting the cause, Great food, Veggie
Cons: I can't get there more often
KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Cool punky alternative place

4 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

We went here for dinner and it turns out it is very limited for dinner - just bar food. We got the nachos which came with fresh salsa (request it to be vegan and they leave off the dairy cheese) and some hummus and bread. The hummus was great. It is very casual, you just sit down and order at the bar. We ordered some mocktails which were very tasty. No English menu but the bar staff spoke English and can help you out. Nice food - we want to come back and try the lunch/brunch and buffet. I love how it is decorated with posters of radical politics and there is political reading material available - all in German but still cool to browse through.

Pros: Cool vibe, Lots of vegan options
Cons: Limited dinner, try for lunch/brunch
Muesli
Muesli

best brunch ever

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

huge variety of vegan/ vegetarian spreads, cheese, salads, granola, scrambled tofu, etc

Pros: great variety, cheap (betw 6 and 10 Euros)
Cons: huge queue and overcrowded, bread rolls are not really tasty
daniellinor2
daniellinor2

Nice brunch

3 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

Large buffe - you won't leave the place hungry. Everything was ok, but there are better places in Berlin,and this isn't a place you "have to see".

NIlsI
NIlsI

Great brunch

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

It's been a long time since I've been there but I can remember a great, delicious and filling breakfast.

I can just recommend it.

Pros: selection, price, food
goamiez
goamiez

guter brunch

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

hier gibt es veganen bzw. vegatarischen brunch samstags und sonntags. das essen ist ausgezeichnet, so sieht man was vegan ist und was nicht. das essen war sehr lecker. den preis, den man bezahlt, kann man selbst wahlen - also brunch gegen spende.....sehr schöne, alternative atmosphere dort.

Eric_
Eric_

Great place

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

I remember the buffet plates could get quite empty. And it was horribly crowded. But, the place is super nice, and well-worth a visit, but go on a Tuesday afternoon or something.

Pros: Atmosphere, Price, Wifi (of course)
KateHAL
KateHAL

Don't miss out on the weekend brunch!

4 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2012

Cafe Mogenrot is a vegetarian cafe, but very vegan-friendly. I love coming here just to enjoy a cup of tea and chill; the atmosphere is great. The best thing is, however, the brunch on Saturdays and Sundays. You pick a price between 5 and 9 Euro (7 are suggested as that is what is needed to cover their expenses), which makes it affordable even for those with a tight budget. The food, needless to mention, is fantastic and the vegan options are plenty (countless spreads, salads, scrambled tofu). It is usually packed, so make sure to bring some time (but yeah, there are no such things as a quick brunch in Berlin anyway).
Updated from previous review on Monday December 10, 2012

Pros: great brunch, nice atmosphere, fair prices
Cons: usually packed on Sundays, why not go fully vegan?
jcberger
jcberger

Best brunch I've ever had

5 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2012

The brunch at Cafe Morgenrot was my favorite meal in Berlin. The vegan/vegetarian brunch is out of this world good and so cheap for what you get. I went back to fill up my bowl and plate at least three times with the delicious and carefully prepared food. Every individual dish was so flavorful. They had vegan yogurt, museli, fresh fruit and vegetables, salads and pasta salads, homemade spreads (including the most mouth-watering vegan chocolate spread I've ever tasted), scrambled tofu, fresh bread, vegan butter, jams, curried tofu, and a lot more.

The atmosphere is so chill and I loved the hippieness of it all. It's really cool that you can pay anywhere between 5 and 9 euros for your meal (suggested 7) depending on what you feel you can afford. What a cool concept!

Pros: incredible food, unbelievable value, awesome vibe
Cons: packed
J-Veg
J-Veg

Great place for brunch at the weekend

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

I've been here for brunch a few times and keep going back! It's a buffet with vegetarian and vegan food (clearly marked) including breads, delicious spreads (including an amazing hummus), salads, fruit and a fruity semolina pudding. Drinks are extra and you order them when you pay for the buffet. One thing which is quite interesting is that you can choose what you pay - €5, €7 or €9. This isn't based on what you've eaten, rather what you think you can afford.

I've also been here for drinks in the evening and the atmosphere is amazing.

Pros: Great value brunch, Cool atmopshere, Great location
Cons: Busy at the weekend - get ther early!
Cantona1983
Cantona1983

awesome

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2012

i havent been in ages but i used to come here for sunday brunch a few times - great concept - paying however much you eat/you think you should pay - the food is great - i used to bring quests here every time they visited me, when i still lived in berlin

NotBuyingIt!
NotBuyingIt!

Cafe Morgenrot

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

I've been here twice. I like it very much, mostly because of it's mission. I also like the fact that they are very vegan friendly and it seems like they all speak English and German. Their menu is about 80% vegan, but their brunch is only about 50% vegan. The flavour of the food for the brunch is okay, but the value and the quality of most of the ingredients are pretty good. The staff is nice. It gets quite busy for weekend brunch, but there is a good amount of seating, even on the outside. The coffee is really good. The crowd is very mixed, lots of tourists, students, locals - just like the rest of Berlin.

Pros: A Collective, Vegan friendly, Affordable
Cons: Not 100% Vegan
goddess.pain
goddess.pain

Tasty, affordable brunch :)

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2012

I have only been there to the brunch and it was really good. They had a rather big variety of food, it wasn't possible to try everything, and approximately 80-90% of it was vegan. :)
The price (you can choose how much you pay: between 5 and 9 Euros) is good, too. There is free water, so you don't even have to pay for drinks.
I especially like the atmosphere, which is very alternative and chilled.
The only aspects i didn't like were, that it wasn't all vegan (I'm afraid I have to reserve the 5 cows for all vegan brunches ;D) and that each time I went to the buffet to get something new and returned to the table, the staff had already taken away whatever dish or glass etc. i had left on the table. xD But I think, I can live with that. ^^

Pros: great variety, tasty, atmosphere
Cons: not all vegan
aclasse
aclasse

Alternative brunch buffet

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

Our hotel (Circus) did feature a vegan breakfast, but on Sunday we went up the road to this place for a change. The buffet was quite impressive - various dips and salads as well as the muesli and stuff. Not everything's vegan but quite a lot is, and it's labelled accordingly. Most people looked studenty which made us feel guilty for being fat middle-aged capitalists, so we may have paid a bit over the odds :-)

Pros: Plenty for vegans, Friendly, Bit different
XspeedyX
XspeedyX

Try the strawberry mocktail

3 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2011

We were there on a friday and went with the buffet. There was great tofu scramble, sundried tomato and olive spread, bananas with cilantro (never thought that would be so good) and loads of normal stuff you'd expect at breakfast. It sounds a bit funn, but you should really try the strawberry mocktail with your breakfast. Staff was a little crabby, but the atmosphere was nice.

Pros: strawberry mocktail!, choose your own price, atmos
Cons: crabby staff
nico
nico

love this place!

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2011

The bar it's really cosy, the staff it's kind and easygoing, during the week you can have a drink, some nachos, sandwiches or a piece of cake, everything Vegan! They have free wi-fi, put on nice music and once a week have a knitting night!

But the best bit it's at the weekends, Brunch Time!!
Cheap, you can choose to pay between 5 and 8 euros, depends on how much you can, for a self-service Veg brunch, from vegan scramble, salads, mixed vegetables,cheese, many different sauces to müsli, jam, fruit salad, yoghurt, chocolate cream....etc and very good bread! You'll pay the drinks a part.
The staff keeps refilling the serving plates all the time!

Relaxed atmosphere, good vibes!

Pros: good value, friendly staff
Cons: a bit noisy on weekends
aadams1217
aadams1217

• non-vegetarian

Cool place

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2010

A very chill place. Went once for the breakfast buffet and was amazed at how many vegan options (clearly labeled) there were.

And the price is a "sliding scale" based on what you feel you owe given how much food you've eaten.

DaveBrett
DaveBrett

"We're Not Serving Food Today"

2 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2010

When we got to the Cafe Morgenrot, there were a bunch of people there. Some were sipping drinks, but most were just talking. I noticed there were no menus anywhere, so I asked an employee for one. She said "we are not serving food today."

I wouldn't recommend going to this place. It's not really a restaurant.

Courtnichka
Courtnichka

a nice cafe

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

I went here late one night when there wasn't any food availible besides pastries, but that was okay. The place had a nice atmosphere and a nice variety of drinks to choose from. Both cocktails and coffee/tea were on the menu. For sure visiting again next time I'm in Berlin to try the buffet.

Pros: price, variety, atmosphere
Cons: bartender was indifferent, no food late night
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

solid veggie cafe

4 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2010

cool place with good veggie food. tasty breakfast and lunch foods. i came here for lunch and was a nice quiet place to eat. what's great is that you pay what you want(4-8 euros).

Jemima
Jemima

Interesting place

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2010

Exit Eberswalder Straße station and head up Kastanienallee, Cafe Morgenrot is a fair way up on the left side of the street.
There is seating on street level and there was someone playing guitar and singing when we went. After he had done the rounds for collection for his music and we had decided what to order from the menu, we were told the food available was downstairs.
We went out the back and down to a basement area. It opened out at one end to a stage/ cinema area with balcony and complete with disco ball. Disco balls seem to be ubiquitous in Berlin. The area we ate in had been furnished with a bar and two long tables with benches. Red paper napkin table cloth, improvised red lighting, graffiti scratched in to the wall and bizarre sculptures/ art completed the anarchist? Marxist? decor.

The menu had just a few light items on it such as soup and nachos but this time we had a choice between pasta salad, green salad, fritters and cooked broccoli which were in big pots/ bowls on the bar. It might have been left over from an event.
I had green salad which was largely made up of lettuce, fritters made with flour and eggs and the broccoli. The food had been there a while and was only vaguely warm but it was edible.

Service was friendly.

At two Euros a plate value was fine.

Pros: friendly and chilled, cheap, interesting
Cons: the food might be a side reason to visit
wildfang
wildfang

Ideal for a relaxed chat and a snack.

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2009

Cafe Morgenrot is a very informal place which offers a great vegan-friendly buffet (pay between 4-8€). In the evenings there are little snacks such as hummus with bread or some delicious sandwiches with vegan mozzarella cheese (small 3,5€).
I love the "hot chocolate rum" (3,8€). There are also other vegan options of cocktails available. Usually, there are two or three different types of cake as well, out of which at least one will be vegan (~1,5€ per piece). Sometimes one might get yesterday's cake for free.
The staff is always relaxed and very friendly.

The only thing I find a bit annoying is that there's a smoking area in the back of the cafe (so when you want to go to the toilet - take a deep breath and hold it ;) but you won't notice much of that in the front area.

Pros: informal, great food, good value
Cons: smoking area
hbaley
hbaley

awesome concept, great food

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2009

Typically breakfast buffets, even if they're vegetarian, aren't vegan friendly, but this one was extremely. I left full and completely satisfied. They had a delicious tofu scramble, even some sort of vegan german pudding thing. Drinks have a set price, but the buffet is pay what you can between 4 and 8 euros. I was very pleased!

Pros: delicous, great atmosphere, spacious
Cons: staff didnt speak much english
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Hbaley, I liked your review. A vegan-friendly breakfast buffet is definitely a rare commodity!

fuzzyvegan
fuzzyvegan

pay what you can!

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2009

It's a great place with an alternative vibe. They have an exciting pay what you can vegan friendly buffet. It was my first experience with this kind of system and thought it was a great idea. You pay between 4&8 euros. Those that can afford to pay a little more, pay a little more. Be fair people!! These are the kind of places we need to support not steal from! Just wish the buffet ran all day!

Pros: sliding scale vegan friendly buffet, good vibe
lysi
lysi

Excellent for Sunday brunch

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2009

What a great place for a late and leisurely Sunday brunch! The first time I went to Café Morgenrot was in summer, so we could sit outside, which was great as the place gets rather busy. The second time was in March, so too cold to sit outside. We didn't manage to reserve a table and couldn't find one for a party of 5 at 12 noon, when the place was really rather busy. However, people were friendly enough to squeeze together to make space for us. The cafe definitely has a squat type vibe about it, which I love and dogs are welcome not just at the tables outside.
The cold buffet ranges from jam, vegan chocolate spread and cereals to fresh fruit, various savoury spreads, cheese, marinated tofu and salads. Unfortunately no vegan yoghurts or pudding options though. While you pay between 4-8 Euros for the food (you can go and fill up your plate as often as you wish at the buffet), you order and pay a set price for your drinks. The coffee is good and you can get vegan capuccions, lattés etc. as well as tea or cold drinks.

Pros: Great value, Well stocked breakfast buffet, Outside space
Cons: Not all vegan
Reuclai
Reuclai

gut gut gut

5 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2009

This cafe was sooooo nice, the waitresses were very helpful to explain us how the place is working, for the breakfast, you pay beetween 4 and 8 euros and take in the buffet what you want. The green stickers are for the vegan food and the blue for the vegetarian. It 's very good, and cheap. The athmosphere was excellent, and we found the perfect gig for after thanks to the bar!!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Tookl
Tookl

Thumbs Up for MorgenRot

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2008

I went to MorgenRot for'brunch' on Sunday and the food was good and visited again for an afternoon hummus snack and BioCidre.
The vibe was great, the owner really nice, and some other people let me sit at their table and we had a good conversation. It's got a very punk, alternative style to it, and that seems to be the norm so far for vegetarian food I've eaten in Germany. Lots of variety in the brunch. I liked it, the place is in my 'hood while I'm here, will come here often. Oh, and it was very reasonable. The inside looked too dark and dank for me to sit in, so I sat outside which was really pleasant. Would recommend it, it's in a great neighborhood, good people watching, draws a pleasant crowd, as well. Even though I'm a nerdy american I was made to feel welcome.

Pros: many vegan options, friendly staff-good vibe, food was tasty
Cons: could be cleaner, the inside was very dark
Merciless666
Merciless666

Damn good place for a sunny breakfast!

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2008

Not anyone might feel comfortable in there, since this place has a clear anarchist/ squatters touch. But you won't find to many similar places either after most squats are gone! If you happen to be in berlin during summer it's just perfekt for a late breakfast outside. And it's all-you-can-eat 4 what-you-wanne-give...AMAZING!
They even used to have shows in the basement. Always jammed, but lovely...this might be history meanwhile. Merciless526

Pros: impossible cheap, nice buffet
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Great cafe

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2007

Cafe Morgenrot is a fantastic place to get a long, leisurely and late breakfast. Really great food on the breakfast buffet (all vegan items are clearly labelled), good coffee and a computer with free internet. It's a relaxed and open minded place (so if you're not you may not appreciate it!) but we really loved it. The pricing 'system' is really good too.

Pros: Tasty tasty food, Prices, Friendly staff
SarahLouise
SarahLouise

friendly, chill atmosphere

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2007

This cafe is the only place I found in Berlin to be explicitly vegan-friendly. The pay-what-you-can (between 4-8 Euros), all-you-can-eat vegan/vegetarian breakfast buffet was fresh and well stocked. It is a cold breakfast, with rolls, various spreads, cheeses, veggies, cereal, fruit and puddings. I'll admit coming from Canada I was expecting (and hoping for) a hot breakfast, but the food was tasty and healthy. All items are labeled either vegan or vegetarian. Vegan cake is also available for purchase. There is also a "public" computer with Internet available.

Pros: cheap, tasty and healthy, friendly staff
Cons: no ingredients listed

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Morgenrot: