Cafe Mlynek

Bed and breakfast with a veggie cafe that offers breakfast food, Polish pierogi with mushroom, noodle, spinach pancakes, quiche, desserts, and vegan soups. Cozy atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Polish, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Wolnica Square 7, Kraków, Małopolska (Krakowska St)
Krakow, Poland 30-061
+48-124306202

Open Mon-Sun 8am-3am.

First Review by Upliftance
AlisonJ_10
AlisonJ_10

Good food in a relaxed atmosphere.

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2013

Had seen this café on Happy Cow and ended up there after a long heavy morning at the Schindler Factory museum. We had a very welcome, delicious and relaxed lunch sitting outside overlooking the square. Chose the 2 course set lunch for about 19 zloty each. Lovely soup to start and main choices of mixed dumplings or potato tortilla and salads. Both were delicious. Added vegan ice cream to finish off which was lovely too - we tried the chocolate flavour. Homemade 'lemonade' was inventive and refreshing: a glass full of crushed ice, watermelon, orange and mint. Well worth trying.

Pros: relaxed atmosphere, good portions
superbot
superbot

Good But Not Great

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

Nice place, the food is good, plentiful but not special, everything I could snap up at home in 5 minutes, which of course doesn't make it bad but keeps me from giving it 5 stars.

Also it would be cool to have more vegan options, for example you can get a milkshake but only with cow milk... Also there's only one vegan desert which is like a typical raw fruit date type so don't expect to be blown away but all in all a nice place I would recommend

Pros: Nice Atmosphere, Homestyle Cooking, Easy Readable Menu
Cons: Not Enough Vegan Options, Not Enough Vegan Desserts, Not The Cheapest
Vegan Prague
Vegan Prague

Saved me!

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2013

Loved this place, as others have mentioned their vegan breakfast is awesome.....very creative & tasty selection.

Went there 3 times in 2 days so that should tell you something!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Awesome vegan breakie , Friendly staff
Ophee
Ophee

Totally Go here!!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

I loved this place. I ordered both the corn pancakes and latkes with mushroom sauce. Both absolutely amazing. Loved it. Good service and nice for breakfast.

Pros: Delicious, Good location in Jewish district
Cons: Come early cause they close early

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great vegan breakfast

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2013

"The vegan breakfast" is one of the best meals I've had in eastern Europe.

This place is open for breakfast, which might be one of your only vegan options for breakfast in the city. That's a huge factor in why I went there, but I was really delighted. The waitress was friendly, food was GREAT, and prices were super cheap.

Definitely going back again in the future.

Pros: All-veg, Breakfast foods, Friendly staff
necropalice
necropalice

Great gem of a cafe.

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2012

I ate here twice during a recent trip to Krakow - once for breakfast where we sat outside in the sunshine, and once late at night for an after-dark dinner.

Everything we ordered was delicious, fresh and flavourful. My party of three (one omni, one veggie, one vegan) were consistently thrilled with our dishes. English menus made it easy to choose what we wanted to eat, the cafe itself has a lovely atmosphere and the staff were really helpful and kind. I enjoyed a tofu and vegan pesto sandwich as well as a tofu/coriander and rice dish. My brother ordered the Polish dumplings, which were out of this world. Our mother enjoyed a Polish-style veggie breakfast and a vegetable pasta dish. It was incredibly good value for money and I'd have happily eaten there for every meal.

Pros: variety, cheap, atmospheric
Cons: none!
kasia
kasia

Charming

4 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

A lovely chilled cafe which offers vegan versions of most dishes from the menu. My favourite is definitely chickpeas lecho, but I aslo enjoy potato cakes with mushroom sauce.

hack_man
hack_man

Green Light for Vegans

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

A bustling traditional Polish cafe in a very impressive setting in amazing Kazimierz. Highly rated and recommended by local people and alternative local guide books. It's located right under a hostel but I don't know whether they have a connection with them or not. Very busy indeed. In the past the main focus used to be on milk, cheese and egg-based meals. However, after visiting again in August 2011 the menu has changed considerably with many vegan options clearly marked. It's a great place to soak up the summer sun outside or a romantic meal inside at night. To sample traditional and delicious Polish food I would suggest the bigos, potato cakes (naliesniki) or the dumplings (pierogi). The staff are a bit young and dis-intersted but the food is great and drinks are cheap. The setting in the heart of Kazimierz' Plac Wolnica is truly fabulous.

Pros: vegan now available
Cons: no soya products, young staff
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

skippable

2 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

the food was so so, and the staff was too cool for school. it was almost like i was bothering them by being there, it was mid-day. the food wasn't bad, but i felt like it was something i could have easily whipped up, and was more expensive than the other vegan options in krakow.

Pros: nice location
Cons: staff, average food
veganbarista
veganbarista

Best place for Gluten Free in Krakow

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2012

Other places in Krakow that offer Gluten Free options are VERY expensive. Cafe Mlynek, however, is moderately priced and has sever V/GF options to choose from! This is a MUST ENJOY for GF Vegans travelling in Krakow! An all-vegetarian restaurant. I have been several times and have ordered: GF rice noodles with veggies, GF fried potato cakes with mushroom gravy (like American hash browns), and vegan cream of broccoli soup--all were delicious. MAKE SURE to mention to the server that you are Vegan or Gluten Free because some food is occasionally garnished with cheese even though the menu says it's vegan. Unfortunately no soya milk for coffees. This Cafe is opening a second location called "Green Times" down the street on July 5 2012. I imagine that this second location will be even MORE vegan and GF-friendly!

lovela5
lovela5

My favorite Veg-Friendly restaurant in Cracow

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2012

I go there as often as I can. I really love that they are open late!. They are open until 3 am or the last client. I love their Onion and Spanish soup! (They currently have 4 soups and they are all vegan upon request). I love their potato pancake, tofu sandwich, and rice with fried tofu.

Comparing the other restaurants in Cracow such as Momo or Green or Glonojad, then this is definitely the best one. The only downer is that its kinda pricey as for its portions and comparing to other restaurants.

Pros: great food, variety, location
Cons: price
pointypix
pointypix

quirky decor, great food

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

We had lunch here during a recent trip and loved the quirky interior with the selection of random antiques and knick knacks. The staff were friendly and spoke great English. This was one ofthe only veggie cafes in Krakow that served to the table as opposed to self service (not that that bothered us). The menu was good and what was better was that they could 'veganise' anything that had eggs or dairy in it. prices were really reasonable as we found with all the veggie places in krakow.

Pros: Excellent food, vegan options for most things on menu, great value
Mag
Mag

good!

3 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

food was taste, place was ok and service so so...

Pros: polish traditional food, location
Cons: smokers, staff
Colin
Colin

Superb

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2011

I discovered Cafe Mlynek online whilst first visiting Krakow and have never been disappointed since, after becoming a frequent visitor. It is without question the superior vegan and vegetarian restaurant in Krakow and ranks etremely highly with those across Europe, indeed I would say top 5 of all I have visited.

The atmosphere is special, the people a breath of fresh air, the staff consistent, the owner Elizabeth one of the most beautiful people I have ever met. The food, fresh and always of a high standard. The vegan and Ayverdic recipes a delight to taste.

Cafe Mlynek not only nourishes hunger but nourishes the soul. It is always a joy to visit.
Updated from previous review on Friday May 13, 2011

Pros: Excellent food, great value, delightful ambience
Pico
Pico

Worth enjoying

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2010

Great little restaurant with creative decor and fun ambiance. Wonderful pierogi, great soup, friendly service. Sit on the square and enjoy the experience.

They also have a rare non smoking room which are few and far between in Krakow. Caged birds serenade in the clean air.

Pros: Good food, Great ambiance, Clean and fresh
Cons: Few vegan choices
dwc840
dwc840

awesome

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2008

really excellent food. the pierogi is top class. though watch out for the spreads that come with the bread. the potato salad was out of this world...though it did have a slight "bacon" taste to it. ask the waiter if you're dead set on being completely veggie.

Pros: food, location, price
Cons: few veggie options
Marquis
Marquis

Mlynek

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2008

I tried hummus here, which they served in an ice-cream cup. I went back to have their Mlynek breakfast, which consists of eggs, jam, bread, Polish cheese... Quite good, 7.5/10.

Veggie Mama
Veggie Mama

Creative environment, excellent food

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2007

Consistently very good food. We eat there weekly. The onion soup is fantastic. Delicious pierogis, good pasta with broccoli. Presentation is excellent, artistic and very nicely served. Local art exhibited always. Nice creative atmosphere. People are helpful and competent. It is a cafe bar, but they have added a whole new room which is non-smoking. In summer, they have an outdoor cafe.

Pros: delicious all vegetarian food, lovely presentation, consistently good, onstreet parking too
Cons: limited menu, need more dishes!, not much vegan options, smoking only in main room

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Mlynek: