Vegan restaurant serving burgers, pizzas, pasta, salads and a few Japanese dishes. Serves organic and wine. Also serves cocktails. Non-smoking. Address in Japanese: 538-6 四条上る新京極通中之町中京区. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Japanese, International, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out
538-6 Shijyo Agaru Shinkyougoku Nakanocho Nakagyoku (Shijo)
Kyoto, Japan 604-8042
075-251-1876

Open Mon-Sun 10am-12am.

• Cash only

First Review by rabbits_nom
solstys
solstys

Great meal, difficult to find

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

To HappyCow readers: this restaurant is inside the mall (across from a WeGo store in the alley). We had some shop owners help us sort of find it and then used the mall WiFi to have Google Maps pinpoint it, but if you ask for the WeGo store, I think it'll be easier.

The food is terrific and the prices are very reasonable. We had the burgers and chocolate brownie dessert and everything was great.

mr.zaatar
mr.zaatar

Not bad, not great

3 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2014

I went here for lunch one day on my last trip to Kyoto. It is located in a cool area with other restaurants and little shops--right off of Teramachi-dori. I used my phone GPS to help locate.

I had the burger set lunch which was a burger with french fries and a side salad. The burger was good, I did enjoy the texture and taste. The fries were also good and the salad was average. Overall I did enjoy it and would go back.

The place is a bit small and dimly-lit inside. One thing I didn't like was that there was hardly any ventilation, so the whole restaurant room smelled strongly of fried food--the kind that stays in your clothes after you exit the place. Not that big of a deal.

Visited Jan 2014

Pros: Good location off Teramachi dori
Cons: Strong cooking smell in dining room, Aloof and rather disinterested waitstaff
HiraHalal
HiraHalal

decent, but could've been better

3 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2014

The fries and ketchup were great, so was the salad. As for the burger itself, it was kind of small. The patty was also strange- it was rice with black bean (or so it seemed), and the consistency was soft yet slightly textured. We also ordered the vegan meat sauce pizza. I think they put vegan mayonnaise on that, and that was just weird. Overall the meal was decent but thumbs DOWN on the vegan meat sauce pizza. I just finished it in order to not waste food. Also, the service was ok.

Lemonly
Lemonly

Tasty burgers

5 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2014

Went here twice while visiting kyoto. Burgers were delicious and come with chips and salad. Friendly staff. Would recommend!

akila_r
akila_r

Great meal

4 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

It did require Google Maps to get here, but at once I was charmed by the old-world setting. The antique clock, cozy lights and laidback atmosphere was very inviting.
And it was a relief to walk into a restaurant and not become paranoid trying to figure out if the food had meat/fish.

I had the soy meat teriyaki burger which, though slightly chewy, was great.
And the soy milk icecream to top it off was a delight.

I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a good vegetarian meal in downtown Kyoto.

Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

A taste of home!

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2014

My husband and I were very happy to find this place in Kyoto, it was like a taste of home! With burgers, fries, pasta, and pizza, this place was like a cafe you would find in New York or San Francisco with little Japanese twists. For example, the pizza had a tasty sesame dressing drizzled on it and I loved the dessert options like green tea ice cream and pancakes.

It's also in a nice shopping area and close to Gion if you're around there. Overall, if you're looking for a taste of American food in Kyoto--this is the place!

Pros: American food (burgers, pizza, etc), Nice atmostphere, Good area
Cons: Slow service, Not very many seats
HappyVegMom
HappyVegMom

Very nice restaurant

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2014

We were there about a month ago. It was located right beside Shinkyogoku. We ordered burgers and drink. The food was yummy!! The environment was laid-back. And the staff was very friendly and nice. But the restaurant didn't provide the changing board to change diapers. I guess I'm just too spoiled with the convenience here. Anyway, it's still a very nice restaurant to go!!

Pros: Staff was friendly and nice, Laid-back enviroment, Yummy food
Cons: No Diaper Changing Board
Hsin yu
Hsin yu

Vegan Hamburg & Pisa

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2014

Two young people cook.It is delicious.American-style restaurant is very comfortable.

al30sh
al30sh

Good americanized food

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

For veggie burgers and fries, this was a great place. They were able to make something that my 4 year old would eat (pasta with vegan parmesan), which is always a plus. Good fries. Liked that it was totally vegan and I didn't have to worry about fish.

Pros: Vegan!!, Great for upscale burger and fries, Location
Cons: Menu is a little boring
Ayane
Ayane

I agree with the comments before

3 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2014

I already went to this place a few times. The staff are friendly, the food is nice, but it's really expensive for a small plate. I mean. If you got already used to eat japanese size of dishes, it might be fine. You'll get hungry after 4-5 hours again, but it's not enough, if you are used to eat western sized meals.
I like the ambiance of the places, but in my opinion the place is a bit too dark.

Pros: nice burgers
Cons: expensive, small sized meals
ajfischer
ajfischer

So-so

3 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

I was really looking forward to eating here, but after eating at a bunch of excellent vegan restaurants in Kyoto, I wasn't really impressed.

I ate here twice. First, I got the burger set and while the sauce was tasty, the burger itself was quite dry. Afterwards I got the brownie and ice cream set, which was good and fudgy, but again, very very dry. Luckily it came with amazing whipped cream which really helped.

I decided to come back again and order different things. This time I got the pizza, which frankly wasn't good at all. The crust was thinner than any I've ever seen - it was nearly a cracker. The sauce was good, but I paid an extra 500 yen to get the cheese pizza instead of just sauce pizza, and the cheese was disappointing. It was great TASTING, but it wasn't completely melted at all - there were large, thumb-sized half-melted blocks all over the pizza. Half the cheese was melted and half was still in a gooey block-form, so that I was occasionally getting huge sticky mouthfuls of vegan cheese. I would have asked it to be cooked more if I hadn't been in a rush.

That said, I would recommend everyone go here for the Fried Yatsuhashi with Ice Cream. Yatsuhashi is a popular Kyoto sweet filled with anko, and they did a great job frying it. It tasted like a funnel cake with ice cream.

So, it's worth checking out if you're hungry and in the area, but I definitely wouldn't go out of your way to eat here for lunch/dinner. But definitely stop by for the Yatsuhashi dessert!
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 01, 2013

Pros: Good location, Friendly Staff, Excellent sauces
Cons: Dry food (burger, brownie), Unmelted cheese (on pizzas), Too-thin crust (on pizzas)
rebeccalw21
rebeccalw21

Great Burgers!

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

A small pub-like cafe with an urban vibe. Me and my friend ordered two different types of tofu burgers and split them, both were really good! The tofu had a great texture and some great flavours, I would definitely go again to try other things on the menu.

Pros: Nice vibe, Good sized portions, Decent price
Cons: Drinks a bit expensive
syrupofipecac
syrupofipecac

Love the burgers!

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

A small cosy pub/restaurant and i love the atmosphere! I tried a veggie burger that was divine! I really wish i could make burgers like that.

Pros: Delicious veggie burgers, Cosy place
sorbus
sorbus
  • non-vegetarian

Was ok

3 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2013

Based on the reviews on happycow I went with my vegetarian girlfriend to this place. Only the name of the menus were in English and often not self-explanatory. The English skills of the very friendly stuff were not sufficient to start a conversation about the ingredients.

The food was ok and arrived very quickly, the portions not that big so we had plenty of room for desert. I had a vegan burger and Fried Yatsu Hashi with ice cream while my girlfriend had the vegan curry and Japanese Parfait.

Overall it was a worth a visit, but during our 5 days in Kyoto we never went there again since there were more places to check out.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Quick food delivery, Central location
Cons: Small portions, Menu names not self-explanatory, English skills of the staff
Ryn
Ryn

A Cozy Vegan Retreat

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2013

The moment I walked in the door, I was thoroughly impressed. The atmosphere was quaint, and the decor rustic and cozy. The menu was actually more extensive than the menu online, which was a nice surprise. I ended up ordering the vegan cheese pizza, house-made ginger ale, and two doughnuts. My first real vegan meal in Japan! (Seriously, living off rice, tofu, fruits, and veggies is really hard for someone who loves junk food.) The pizza had a nice, subtle taste, and was just the right amount of food. The doughnuts were great too. I would recommend the earl grey flavor over the green tea one. It literally melts in your mouth. My favorite though was probably the ginger ale. It had bite to it, yet was still refreshing.

What's also great about this place is that everything is vegan, down to the soap in the bathroom. It was such a nice surprise!

As a plus, my non-vegan friends that came with me ended up raving about this place after their meals, saying that the burgers tasted just like real burgers. It made me happy to know that this place can change people's perceptions about what vegan food is really like.

The only downside was that you had to call the waitstaff over when you wanted to order or get the check, since our waitress was very absorbed in fiddling with her smartphone.

But otherwise, it was a great, first-vegan-restaurant-in-Japan experience.

I would definitely recommend it to vegans and non-vegans alike!

Pros: Delicious Food, Extensive Menu, Cozy Atmosphere
Cons: Non-attentive Staff, A Bit Pricey
arherron
arherron

wide range of tasty vegan choices

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

The menu is in English and us all vegan. Staff speak English too and are friendly. There's a delicious range if choices. The portions might look small when they arrive but we both felt very full. Nice ambiance and in an interesting area. I would definitely return.

Pros: all vegan, wide range, friendly
JesseD
JesseD

Vegan Pub with So-so food

3 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

This place is more a pub than a restaurant, with the bar being the dominant feature of the dining area and louder background music than most restaurants (though certainly not uncomfortably so - conversation was still easy). According to the staff and the menu the food is all vegan (to clarify from the review below - perhaps it has recently gone all vegan?). While it's great to have a vegan establishment in such a prime neighbourhood, I found the food to be not as good as other vegan restaurants in Kyoto, perhaps like the difference between a pub and restaurant anywhere else. The "cheese" pizza was very thin, and (besides the cheese) had few vegetable and lots of mochi, which sounds good but they were really just chewy and tasteless, and the fresh salad over it may have been healthy but I didn't think it really 'worked'. The burger was better, and the home-made ginger ale was quite refreshing. It's location is excellent, so close to Gion, so I would definitely recommend visiting for dinner while exploring Gion in the evening, but just don't expect it to be your best meal out in Kyoto.

Pros: great location close to Gion, perhaps recently become all vegan?
Cons: so-so food
tyrannosaurusveg
tyrannosaurusveg

Good burgers

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

We stopped in at lunchtime for a couple of burgers which we really enjoyed (try the teriyaki burger). Would have gone back again if we'd been in the area longer.
Maybe not the cheapest or biggest servings but the food was delicious, location is convenient and a vegan restaurant in Japan is a rare find!

Pros: Good food, Good location, Vegan
Tertia
Tertia

Nice place, but sometimes small size portions

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2013

If you walk into the Shinkyogoku arcade (the name is on the roof of the Arcade) it is the 3rd on your right (if you come from Shijo) and you will see the restaurant.

We had both lunch en dinner during our last stay in Kyoto.
Lunch was very good, I had a daily special, with a rice dish, soup, salad, tofu and vegetables, and my husband had a burger set.

A couple of days later, we came back to have dinner. My dish (fried wheaten cutlet) was OK and yummie, but my husband, who had the Kyoto vegetable burger set, thought the portion size was really too small. They do have some side dishes on the menu, so when choosing a burger set for dinner, it is advisable to also choose some side dishes.

During dinner time, there was a large screen which played a cartoon film, which was a bit strange.

But the restaurant is easy to find, the staff is nice and speaks some English and also the menu is in English and completely vegetarian, so I would recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Vegetarian, Easy to find, English menu
Cons: Small portions
Jan Hicks
Jan Hicks

A welcome addition to Kyoto's veggie eateries

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

We ate at Cafe Matsuontoko on a Sunday at lunch time. It's a small place, so it was busy, with an interesting mix of people. There are a couple of vegan options, everything else is veggie. I had the avocado burger, my husband the Kyoto tofu burger. The accompanying salad was out of this world. If only we'd found it before our last day in Kyoto, we'd have eaten there more than once!

Pros: Tasty food, Good range of drinks, Friendly helpful staff
Cons: Small
MariaPowell
MariaPowell

Delicious!!!

5 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

Have been here atleast 6 times now it is divine!! try everthing :) nb. Burgers can be ordered for takeaway.

Pros: Delicious, Great service, English names on menu
Cons: not big for a large group, can get busy, no full translation of menu items
jon active
jon active

Good food, but no English!

3 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

Hidden in an alley way off the shopping arcade (its the fourth alley on the right as you come north up the arcade). This place did fine posh vegan food but the menu was 98% in Japanese and the most the waiter could manage was to confirm that everything was vegan. So we just ordered two meals without knowing what we would get! They were good typically Japanese restaurant small size portions and relatively expensive but tasty!

Pros: Tasty, Central
Cons: No English spoken, No English menu, Tricky to find
FlorenceButtons
FlorenceButtons

worth the search

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

We had a little trouble finding this cafe as our hostel had given us a map which had it marked on the wrong street! once we found it though it was so worth it! The menu was quite varied and it took us a while to decide.
I went for a bowl of Ramen, it was delicious! Quite creamy with a nutty flavor and plenty of veg too! It came as a set with a bowl of yummy brown rice and pickles as well.
My boyfriend went for the burger set, this came with quite a lot! The burger itself was delicious and it also came with a taster plate of side dishes! the set also included a frozen soya ice cream which I made him share! So nice!
Well worth the 2500 yen we payed, there were cheaper options available too. We were very full, which in Japan is unusual due to their small portion sizes! Try it!

Pros: variety, healthy, portion
xlovex
xlovex

Best vegan karaage in town?

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

Nice place in a cool part of town, right opposite to clothing store "Wego" in case you need to ask for directions. There are a couple of different vegan burgers, a random one of which is included in the burger lunch set (900) that includes fries, a small salad and a drink. Lunch lasts until five after which you have a greater selection of food. The soymeat karaage (500) is just heavenly.
In addition to parfaits and such, you can get two small pancakes (800) with chocolate sauce, whipped soy cream and two chunks of ice cream.
There are lots of great vegan eateries in the area but if you get tired of Asian food this one is highly recommended!

Pros: Great prices, Fast
Cons: Few choices before 5pm
Jessqi
Jessqi

Lovely Surroundings, Good Food

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

My friend and I went to this cafe for lunch and got the vegan croquette set. The cafe is lovely utilising the raw architecture of the space. I also loved the giraffe bonsai in the toilet. The lunch was good. The croquettes very crunchy and the flavours fresh and sharp. The onion soup that came with it was especially delicious. It seemed very crowded and popular. We got the last table and the burgers we saw looked yum. Also they had an extensive dessert menu for those with a sweet tooth. But we were too full from lunch to eat any.

Pros: Atmosphere, Flavours, Freshness
Cons: Maybe busy
rabbits_nom
rabbits_nom

Yummy gobo burgers

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2012

Located just off of the Shinkyogoku shopping arcade, this is a hip cafe for vegetarian burgers and pizzas. We ended up ordering the evening's special set meal, a gobo (burdock root) burger, fries, salad, and homemade ginger ale. The gobo burger was quite tasty, and the salad was nice to get in a city with few salad options. There isn't an English menu, though the staff tried to be helpful in translating menu items and we tried to use our limited Japanese. The set was about 1200-1500 yen.

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Matsuontoko: