Serves meat, veg options available. Trendy Asian inspired food that offers a section of vegetarian items and on Monday vegetarian specials (call to check). Vegetarian entrees are primarily noodle and pasta dishes, and a black bean burger. Price: Moderate more-less
Fusion, Thai, Asian, Western, Non-veg
1011 1 St SW Ste 100
Calgary, Alberta T2R IJ2
403-206-1564

Mon-Thur 11am-11pm, Fri 11am-late, Sat 5pm-late.

First Review by mcgyver68
junipearl
junipearl

Great place to take non-veg friends

3 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

Delicious options for vegans, gluten free folks, vegetarians, meat eaters, and everything in between.

The Buddha Bowl is to die for!

Service is not the best... sometimes not the most attentive and cheerful servers, but never outright bad service.

It is a safe bet for a dinner outing.

vegan frog
vegan frog

Inconsistent

3 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

The problem with Cafe Koi is that the food is inconsistent. One day it can be extremely good, the next pretty bland. I always double check what they put in the food because it seems to depend on who is cooking!
They do have a separate veggie menu, which is a plus in a city like Calgary that lacks veggie restaurants and vegan knowledge.

JacquelineRu88ell
JacquelineRu88ell

Great food.

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

Cafe Koi offers a nice variety of rice bowls that are vegan. They are also very gluten-free friendly. Most of the bowls can be made gluten- free if requested. I love the way they cook their tofu. A great place to get fresh, hot vegan food.

Pros: Delicious food, friendly staff
Cons: Slightly over priced

kimward8
kimward8

Decent Vegan Food

3 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2012

I had a rice bowl with added tofu and it was good. It's a good place to take omnivores when you need somewhere to go for lunch downtown. It seemed like the only vegan things on the menu were rice bowls though, so don't expect much variety.

mcgyver68
mcgyver68

A Nice Little Surprise in Downtown Calgary

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

So here I am on another business trip. I thought I had all the veg places scoped out and noted ahead of time, but last night I did one more search before leaving the hotel. That's when I discovered Koi.

After 18.00 in Calgary, parking is free. Parking is one of my bigger annoyances with downtown establishments. The place was not busy, perhaps from being new. I was greeted by a very lovely young lady, did not catch her name. She brought to me a local pale ale, 'fog' something or another. It was good, I ordered a second one before I was through.

For the main course I chose a curry bowl, with a variety of fresh vegetables and topped with a few pieces of a flavorful, sauteed tofu. Having eaten curry in cities all over the world, I am a little bit jaded, perhaps spoiled. This dish did not rise to epic, world-class standing, but it was quite tasty anyway, with a unique, sweet/savory thing going on.

I will definitely go there again. And I am proud to be providing the first review on this fine place.

Pros: Excellent Beer, Tasty main dishes, Sartisfying, not over filling
Cons: Poor signage when approaching from north

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Koi: