Bristol cafe with all vegan food except cow milk offered for drinks. At this location since Jan 2011. Also an independent events venue and a workers cooperative. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, English, British, International, Organic

Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:30pm

First Review by Caryne
TessForDogs
TessForDogs

shockingly dirty place, and ignores customers

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2015

I went there twice, first time was for lunch 2 months ago. After having experienced vegan Glasgow, lunch at Kino felt like a workplace canteen experience: nothing special, burger and falafels tasting dry and not freshly made.

The cakes however were good. Definitely kudos for the desserts.

The second time was last night and I stood 15 minutes behind one girl who simply entertained the waitress/girl at the till with jokes and then drunken stories, waving her hips and having a back massage by her friend. I just stood there and could not believe the waitress behaved as if I wasn't there and stood in a trance looking only at the drunken girl next to me, for 15 minutes.
At one point my eyes followed her friends'hands that were massaging her and I looked at what looked like bodily fluids all over the chatty girl's trousers: everywhere were small and thin whitish trails of dried up liquid, especially on her rearside. It was disgusting, and then I saw the crusty black nails...at last when she acknowledged that she was not the only "customer" (I had to interrupt, having driven 1 hour to meet friends there), she moved aside, joked a bit more, then grabbed 2 dirty cups...and opened the kitchen door and went in!!!

Horrible.

I have been many times to all of Glasgow superb, friendly and clean vegan restaurants and while some are said to be a bit "hippe"ie crusty I have never seen anything close to that. Crusty in Glasgow's vegan cafes means a corner of the table that has a bit of dried beer, here in Kino it is the food preparation, the tables, the dishes (see other reviews on Tripadvisor about the lack of hygiene).

Does this place really gets Health and Food Hygiene inspections every year? I would think I would be allowed to bring my dogs inside at least, if these are the standards.

Pros: cakes, tea, all vegan
Cons: hygiene, poor staff attitude, food is a bit snack-like
Dan Newso
Dan Newso

Great Place

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2014

I was in Bristol for the night so grabbed falafel in pitta for dinner and an aubergine in gram flour tortilla type thing and a veg sausage roll for snacks later. All vegan, all amazing, nicest falafel I've had in ages, could be the UK grown fava beans used or the tahini sauce but it had a wicked extraordinary taste to it. Get involved

Pros: Taste, Price, Vegan
Cons: Nothing
TOKENKNW
TOKENKNW

Keen on Kino

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2014

I went a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed a veggie burger and coffee, as a quick lunch. Staff were very friendly and the place has a nice feel to it. The food was great. I'll definitely be heading back when I'm next in Bristol.

RobDodd
RobDodd

Always good quality

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

I love the Breakfasts at Cafe Kino! But all the food is great. Good location :)

Pros: Good choice of food, Great service
Veegz
Veegz

highly recommended

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

Everything is vegan (apart from the option of dairy milk in the milkshakes for non-vegans who don't want soy) and although the range of lunches isn't huge (expect the standard falafel/veg burger/salad options) the dishes are well prepared with decent serving sizes. The cakes are delicious, with raw options available as well as baked, and there is a pretty extensive range of milkshakes, smoothies and teas. My non-vegan friend who came with me was impressed too. Friendly staff, chilled atmosphere and a gallery next door.

Pros: food is all vegan and GOOD, Friendly atmosphere and fast service, good cake selection
Cons: Could have a few more main course options
sXe_22
sXe_22

Still very good!

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

Last year I was amazed by this place; I thought it was the best vegan place on Earth. this year maybe my expectation were too high, so i was not so impressed, but I still think it's a great place to eat. If you are in Bristol, you must go!
Updated from previous review on Friday August 24, 2012

Conor.harrington
Conor.harrington

support this vegan co-op

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2014

Ate here twice while in Bristol this month. Loved the Spicy Kino Burger (one of the best veggie patties I have tried!) and the curly fries too. Some nice vegan beers. This is a not for profit co-op so service isn't perfectly efficient but staff are friendly and the food came pretty quickly. Didn't like chai latte which was just steamed almond milk poured into a teapot with the dried chai mix. Really cool space to hang out and puts on community events also.

Pros: not for profit and ethical principles, affordable, good opening hours
Cons: limited options
ButternutVegan
ButternutVegan

Peanut and Broccoli Soup

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2014

Great vibe, spacious and very friendly staff.
I had peanut and broccoli soup, it was amazing!

trinitybourne
trinitybourne

Wonderful place

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2014

We love this place and go out of our way to eat lunch here when we venture out to Bristol for the day. I ate there today and was absolutely delighted (yet again). The staff were super-friendly today (especially since there was a really rude guy giving them a hard time!).

We both had generous helping of vegan salads and were really satiated! It's filling, tasty and good value for money. Tastes like it's been made with care too. Well worth a visit!

It's down to earth and has amazingly conscious ethics, leaving me feeling like 'if everywhere was like this it would be a much better world'!

Will be back soon.

Pros: Vegan, Good value, Awesome ethics
christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

Been several times and it gets better & better

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2013

I've been to Kino several times now and I like it more and more each time. It's practically completely vegan (aside from cow's milk for drinks) and I've always found the food delicious. In fact I swear it has gotten better and better. Every time I come to Bristol I seem to gravitate there as I feel quite good and at home. Last time I bought a burger for a friend but I wasn't hungry so nothing but a drink for me. But I had a bite of his and had to forget my non-hunger and have one myself. I also recently had a breakfast and a peanut, banana and coconut smoothie, which was mighty good. I like this place a lot and being a co-operative I'm very happy to spend my money here. Highly recommended.

Pros: Nice simple food, Easy place to hang out with friends
Cons: Not completely vegan
Miggi
Miggi

Bestest vegan cake ever!

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2013

Kino is a lovely small workers co-op cafe in Stokes Croft. We ate there 3 times, great vegan food and the best cakes ever! Most food and drinks are organic, fair-trade where possible. Staff were really friendly and helpful.
Hot food includes burgers, all day breakfasts, curry, falafel etc. They did a really nice pasta salad and also have sandwiches to take away. Their cakes were gorgeous extravagant sponges with fudgy icing.
The People's Republic of Stokes Croft is worth a visit for Cafe Kino alone - the street art (incl. Banksy) is a bonus.

Updated from previous review on Sunday July 12, 2009:
Visited Cafe Kino in their new venue. It was great to see the Cafe busy in the new, much larger space and it's clearly become a great venue for community events, classes and music too.
We had a great meal, trying the spicy burger and classic with curly fries and sweet potato chips as well as the juice of the day and a vegan chocolate, peanut butter and banana smoothie. The main meal was so filling we had to get our cake to take away! We shared a piece each of rich chocolate sponge with thick fudgy icing and carrot cake, both lived up to the review I wrote years ago.
Wish we lived nearer Bristol!

Pros: Fantastic vegan food, Cakes, Co-op
Cons: I don't live near enough!
JulianUK
JulianUK

great cafe, potential for better veg dishes

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2013

This is a great place to meet in the day or evening, good range of drinks and cakes etc, plus a small fast-food style vegan menu. Staff are very friendly and helpful. You can see the kitchen and chef behind the counter which is good and helps you understand if there's any wait. Service generally quite quick but sometimes a small queue. I like that it's a coop.

I would really like to see a few more flavoursome freshly prepared vegetable based dishes on offer, maybe chefs could do their own specials. Just simple things like roast sweet potato, parsnip chips, pea and mint soup, would be a good start.

Pros: great drinks, cakes, salads, friendly staff (coop), good meeting place
Cons: limited food menu, bit stark and echoy
Steffi Giraffe
Steffi Giraffe

Fun, relaxed, ethical dining

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

Having already been to Maitreya for lunch, Cafe Kino was quite a contrast. It was much more laid back and unrefined, yet it was great to know that everything on the menu was suitable for us to eat as vegans.

We were greeted by a lovely, friendly server who was very helpful and chatty.

As it was a boiling hot day, I opted to have a cold meal. I had a platter of three salads and a red pepper/potato frittata. It was the perfect, healthy, wholesome dish for the weather, though the frittata could have had more flavour and moisture. My boyfriend opted for the classic Kino burger, with sweet potato chips and homemade coleslaw. I tasted his and it was lovely. The coleslaw could have easily passed as a regular non-vegan version.

We couldn't resist having the brownie sundaes for dessert. The brownies were homemade and yummy though unfortunately no comparison to Maitreya's. I was disappointed to see a tub of Swedish Glace come out, having (maybe unfairly) expected them to have perhaps made their own ice cream too, and because of the questionable ethics of the company.

I wasn't keen on the drinks, but on the whole I really enjoyed the experience and would always recommend it to other vegans.

Pros: Almost 100% vegan, Friendly service, Hearty, homemade meals
Cons: No need to tar the ethics with cows milk, Use Swedish Glace ice cream
IronDread
IronDread

Falafel

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2013

I had a falafel+hummus+salads. I wasnt amazed. HUmmus needs galic...more garlic. Falafel was too hard. Salads were good. Staff was nice and friendly. I didn't like the interior design...it's very white and plain.Not cosy at all.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: horrible white walls, looks like any other hipster cafe
lu22
lu22

One of my favorite places

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

I love this cafe- I can eat anything and don't have to double check if its veggie or lactose free :) The service is what you might call chilled out, but great food takes time. I think the highlight is desert for me- good range if its not all run out (which it often does by the evening). Also the Falafal and salad and burgers too. Its probably not the most healthy food ever but it is great. It does get packed but its because its good.

Pros: Range of foods
Cons: When the cakes run out :(
alimac
alimac

Cool atmosphere and great food

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

I really enjoyed my visit to Cafe Kino as they have a huge selection of vegan food and it is fabulous to be able to eat anything on the menu. They also have a big range of soft drinks and alcoholic drinks, ideal for sunny days people watching from the front window.
Updated from previous review on Monday May 27, 2013

Pros: good value for money, huge portions, good range of soft drinks
SiobhanJones
SiobhanJones
  • non-vegetarian

Very nommy

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

I went there for my first ever vegan meal with my partner. Although I am not vegan, my partner is trying to become vegan so we decided to give this place a shot. It was really nice, very friendly staff, lovely food and lovely atmosphere.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Good portions
Cons: Tables felt a bit bunched up, Cake slightly expensive, Not much food choice
Tinkerbell25
Tinkerbell25

Great place for lunch

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

Cafe Kino has a good selection of food - burgers, falafals, salads, veggie breakfast and more and it is all vegan. Had lunch there on two consectutive days. The portion size is good and it is reasonably priced. It is chilled out but it can get busy around lunchtime.

Pros: Chilled out vibe, All food is vegan
rjmehra
rjmehra

Good all round veggie cafe!

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2012

I quite enjoyed the look and feel of this place, there's something honest and un-hip about it. (No clichéd psychedelia or hippy junk!).
Though really it's the food and service one should be concerned with, and both are on par here! The staff will make recommendations if you want, and the menu changes frequently to keep things interesting for the regulars.
I give it 4/5 only because there is scope to do something a bit more exuberant than what is on offer.

Pros: Good food, Good prices, Good service
Cons: Zombie outbreak outside during Halloween
clairevegan1982
clairevegan1982

Nice place

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2011

Not completely vegan as they sell cows milk to go in tea and coffee. I don't understand why they do this when everything else in the cafe is vegan. The burger is especially good and the new location means there is a lot more space. Food takes some time to come so don't go if you only have an hour lunch break. Tried phoning to pre-order before my lunch break and they told me no.

Pros: Tasty food
Cons: Not helpful, Slow
kimward8
kimward8

Friendly Staff

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

I had the veggie burger and curly fries. The fries were good, and the veggie burger was ok, but not amazing. I was hesitant to try the blt or the sausage sandwich because I don't really like fake meat. However I've never tried the fake meat in England, so it may have been good. The atmosphere was really pleasant and the staff was really nice.

alienbuddha
alienbuddha

Nice but with room for improvement

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2011

Cafe Kino moved location a few months ago just a few yards away now onto Stoke's Croft main road. The tables and chairs there remind me of being back at school somewhat but also has stools with a bar style shelf by the windows which is nice to watch the world go by. The staff are friendly and prompt (some which are volunteers I gather) and generally seem to keep the place tidy. The food is lovely and would highly recommend trying the cakes there, the menu is limited I feel with seemingly only veggie burger and sausages being the main options from time to time not that it really bothers me anyway. The salad I had was covered in some dressing which I was not fond of, so to have it as an option in a bottle or a small bowl would of better. Over all, a nice place to chill and eat vegan food!
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 10, 2011

Pros: Good location, Great food, Nice staff
Cons: Not enough on the menu, Needs brightening up inside
super8J
super8J

Pleasantly bohemian

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2011

Bohemian atmosphere in decidedly 'funky' part of town made this an OK cafe experience, but not one for a particularly special meal. We all had burgers and chips. I quite liked mine, but my wife thought the burger under-cooked and an unnecessary amount of dressing on the salad. Our daughter laid into it all without complaint. I had emailed ahead to book an entire chocolate cake and THAT was very nice indeed, well recommended. The cooked meal selection seems rather limited but the cafe type snacks and drinks looked good and all was reasonably priced (though no bottled water available when we were there, very poor). The atmosphere was fairly groovy and decidedly laid back behind the serving counter. A pleasure to be in an all vegan establishment, but they could perk it up a little and still not lose their independent stylee.

Pros: all vegan, fantastic cake, groovy customers
Cons: limited menu, a bit beat up
hack_man
hack_man

Cool, hip and vibrant

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

What a find this place was, I love the arty feel to it, the location, the interior and the mural at the side of the building. A fantastic package. We had the vegan breakfast and a mexican burrito type meal which were both filling, well presented and good value. The pick of the seats are at the front overlooking the street. A very interesting place with a cool vibrancy about it.

Pros: location, arty
yogs
yogs

great little cafe

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2010

love this place, we visit there quite often as it is local and handy, freindly staff and food orders are always taken quickly with food soon to follow, the menu changes and food is always hot,filling and tastes great!

Pros: great food, cheap food, non profit
Cons: students saying "can i get.........."
warcow
warcow

Soya Lattes and Marigold Gloves

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2010

Having picked a pretty 2 pound coin off the street whilst ambling down Stokes Croft in Bristol, I took a left up Nine Tree Hill and decided to indulge in a little latte action. Settling into my decaf soya surprise, my thoughts began to wander as CocoRosie's ketamine-induced ambient echoes reverberated in my subconcious.

I was peaceful, detached but still aware of the tranquility that surrounded me in this cute cooperatively run cafe.

All of a sudden I was physically wrenched from my breakfast bar stool and slammed onto the stripped wooden floorboards behind me. Towering over me with eyes mad glinting was the Cafe Wino Chef, screaming 'enough of your bourgeious reveries, soya lattes are counter revolutionary - submit to the homosexual revolution'. With both legs straddling this crazed cordon-bleu continued by smacking me back and forth across the face with a pair of yellow marigolds, dripping with soap suds and bits of red pepper. The sensation of the wet rubbery texture, stinging my soft cheeks, was strangely exciting and I began shrieking this mad autonomous cook's rant for all to hear.

'Cornflakes are counter revolutionary, cornflakes are counter revolutionary.'

Pros: excellent food, vibe, ambient
Cons: mad chefs, revolutionaries, marigolds
Devoured By Envy
Devoured By Envy

Best muffins!

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2010

I've been here quite a few times now, mostly for a fried breakfast and they are very good indeed, and also very filling. I always have to fit some cake or a muffin in as well. Probably the best I've ever tasted. And everything is vegan! Though they do offer cows milk with tea (I wouldn't bother).
The atmosphere is relaxed and no nonsense, the only downfall is the stairs if you've a small child, and definately not wheelchair friendly.

Pros: Amazing Cakes, A co-op, All vegan
Cons: Stairs, Positioning
marcstevens
marcstevens

Healthy junk food heaven

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2009

As a lover of so-called junk food I was delighted by my Spicy Kino Burger and the homemade chips that another reviewer has also praised highly. The Trouble 'n' Strife enjoyed her falafal dish too, and we shared a gorgeous choc cake for pud. Shame they'd run out of pancake mix (slightly bemusing, cos' it doesn't need much to make vegan pancakes, but oh well) and hearing the chefs chatting in the kitchen whilst I was in the loo made me smile. Sweet staff, and a constant stream of young funky things of a Saturday lunchtime made it a fun visit. I can understand what the other reviewer means about laid back staff and 'dirty' but it didn't bother us, perhaps adding further dollops of relaxed Saturday for us. Would definitely return. Often. With friends, after a heavy night out for vegan BLT probably.

Pros: Great burger & chips, Fonnnnky, All vegan (except milk in drinks option)
Cons: Loo too close to kitchen..., Not much seating near daylight, Ran out of pancakes!
aggcardiff
aggcardiff

Needs a clean AND new staff!!

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2009

As a vegan of many years I am well aware of the correlation between vegan cafes and 'crusty' types, but this place falls very short of acceptable on many levels. In a word - dirty. The place itself is situated in one of the up and coming areas of the city (no word as to when it's due). The staff are annoyingly nonchalant about their customer 'service'. I noticed three staff members during a very quiet Saturday afternoon and yet tables remained filthy and uncleared. In fairness the place is a cafe and not a restaurant, but even so, it just isn't very clean and the menu is very snack-orientated as opposed to meal. It could be so much better!

Pros: nice bread
Cons: dirty tables, nonchalant staff, lack of choice
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Very cool Vegan punk place!

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2009

Make sure you walk up the left hand side of the hill as you approach the street Kino is on. On the opposite side there are some sad characters that can be a little unnerving to some. Once inside place your order at the front, and either eat at the little bar if you'd like to look out the window or go downstairs and explore the large seating areas. The chef and everyone there were extremely nice and even customized my order for some healthy vegan food. A BLT with non fried vegbacon and mustard instead of vegan mayo and it was really fabulous! The ingredients, bread/tomato, etc were all really fresh and made a simple sandwich really worth the trip from Bath!

Pros: good food, lots of seating, very nice
ali parr
ali parr

fantastic vegan food

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

Had a take away lunch from here today, it was excellent lovely sandwich,falafal/hummus lettuce and sweet chilli sauce, could not resist the huge fat chocolate cake and also decided to take home equally tempting chocolate muffin for my husband...which he did not get as I also ate it on the way home to Yeovil!, bottle of water as well. Whole lot less than £7.00 I think that is excellent, quality was superb no skimping on portions, lots of choice,not runn of the mill, wish I lived nearer.

Pros: variety, cost, quality
Cons: LITTER IN NINETREES IN GENERAL
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Love this place!

Posted on 06 / 17 / 2009

Kino is fantastic - good size portions, run as a co-op, incredibly friendly and good service. I've been about 4 times now on various trips and not had a bad time (even when I accidentally poured half a bottle of vinegar over my chips by accident!). Especially reccommended are the hand made chips (skins on!) and the choclate cake. Am heading back next month and that's a pretty long trip from Liverpool!

Pros: Portion size, Quality of food, Friendliness of staff
Cons: What, are, they?
jmw5577
jmw5577

Amazing!

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

Really creative vegetarian/vegan food. Lots of options and absolutely beautiful presentation. The desserts were incredible as well. Quite expensive, but I would definitely recommend for a date/special occasion/impressing visiting family.

niallmc
niallmc

what a find

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

i went to bristol for a day and came to this place twice, such a good atmosphere and great food. best vegan chocolate cake i've had in a restaraunt. it's pretty small when you walk in but has a good number of seats downstaira (25 at a guess) so don't be put off if you see a small room when you walk in.
a great touch is the small library bookshelf downstairs. you are encouraged to browse and read and if ou really want to you can puchase it for a cheap price

Pros: good staff, great food, vegan cake mmm
juliej
juliej

scrummy

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2008

We went here for lunch on a trip to Bristol. We nearly didnt eat here as we looked in the window & there was no decent seating so we walked away & then I looked at the board and seen there was seating downstairs. Im glad we did. We had the Spicy bean burger with chips & salad. Spinach & butternut squash pie with chips & salad. The chips are homemade & it was all very tasty.

Pros: tasty fresh food, homely surroundings
Caryne
Caryne

Great, laid-back, vegan cafe

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2007

Brilliant, friendly, attitude free cafe in a central location (five minutes from where I live!!) All food is vegan and is tasty and fun. It's good, solid food not fancy 'mucked about' stuff and the muffins are to die for. Run, I think, as a co-operative and well worth supporting.

Pros: All vegan, Laid back atmosphere, Has alcohol too

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Kino: