Cafe Katzentempel

Opened Apr 2013, this eatery offers a vegan menu encompassing soups, salads, sandwiches, daily varying dishes, cakes, and tarts. The only non-vegan items is cow milk offered for drinks. Katzentempel means "temple of cats," and diners eat in the company of cats. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Western, German
Tuerkenstrasse 29
Munich, Germany 80799
n/a

Open Tue-Fri 11am-8pm, Sat 10am-8pm, Sun 10am-6pm.

• Cash only

First Review by QTanzer
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Only if you like cats

3 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

We had lunch here recently. The menu was rather limited; just a few dishes. We had the only sandwich, made with seitan. It was fine, but a bit pricey for the portion size. It came with a small salad with delicious curry dressing, so perhaps a salad is the way to go here. It was fun to see and interact with the cats, as we are on a rather long trip and missing our cat back home. I think the cats made it worth the price, but otherwise I would skip it for a meal. We didn't try the deserts, so perhaps that's a better deal.

Pros: cats
Cons: pricey, limited variety
manulaX1
manulaX1

Great place, but annoying customers!

3 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2013

As said previously, this shop is not really 100% vegan due to the cow milk they are offering.

The place is larger than expected, huge windows and clean. Either you like being surrounded by cats or you hate it. Same goes for your own ideology, if this is exploitation for the cats or not. Have a look for yourself.

Lunch was tasty, but in general it's a tiny bit too overpriced in my opinion. (about 6 Euro for small, 10 Euro for large cup)
The tarts look like the very same the shop "Princess Schokobar" near "Münchner Freiheit" is selling. Small yet very good. So in general, the place is cozy and nice with a nice varity of vegan lunch food and drinks.

-------------------

B U T... and that's the biggest problem at Cafe Katzentempel... are the rude customers themselves!

When I was there, it felt like a zoo. 13 other customers where there, 1/3 of them crawling on the floor, were behaving like idiots. Even if the cats were not interested in interacting with them, the customers tried everything to put themselves in the center of attention.

Two mid-aged couples next to us were taking photos all the time. And I mean ALL - THE - TIME. They were also taking pictures of us while eating, because we were "in the way" next to the cats. We kindly asked them to stop, but they did not really listen.

Next - some young fellow students ran though the place to catch the cats and carry them around. They hissed and hit them because they didn't like it. But the students didn't care neither and did not understand that the cats do not want to play right now.

The owner told us that sometimes random people are coming in, playing with the cats about half an hour and went out without ordering anything. So it's really going on his nerves as well.

In general, the place would be much nicer if the more egocentric customers would leave the cats where they are and wait for them to approach them, instead of bothering the cats in first place.

Pros: Nice ambiance, lunch and tarts are quite good
Cons: Annoying customers are teasing the cats, not all vegan, 1-2 Euros too pricy
wangyueh
wangyueh

Vegan Vegan Vegan

2 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2013

Not recommended for those who are allergic to cats. Though the place has enough space for humans and cats to walk around,and it is spotless, yet my nose itched and I was sneezing.
As for menu selection, there's a lot to improve, because not much to choose. My friends and I ordered sandwiches which I would say, quite tasty. But those cakes were far from satisfaction. Having said that, this was in May. Perhaps the food is different now. I would re-visit again to find out.

Pros: spacious, clean
Cons: not many food choices
KatHo
KatHo

Cozy and unique Café

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

Very friendly service, excellent cake (don't get why someone wrote that it was dry, both my husband's and my own was really nice although a little pricey).
The cats have their own room to be alone whenever they want.
Strictly speaking the place is not vegan as they serve cow's milk as well as soy and oat as a compromise to non-vegan guests.
We were assured that they would take it of the menue once the café is well established.

QTanzer
QTanzer

hmm

2 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

Nicht so gut. Ich hatte etwas Schokoladenkuchen. Es war trocken und dicht. Ich aß nur halbe. Nicht sicher, ich würde wieder kommen.

Not great. I had some chocolate cake and it was very dry and dense. I only ended up eating half and I really adore cake and would eat any. I mentioned it to the waitstaff when I was paying and he said 'ok'. Not sure I would go back here.

Pros: Lots of space, Cats, everywhere, if you like them.
Cons: Poor quality food., Cats, everywhere, if you don't like them

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Katzentempel: