REMOVED:Cafe Jo Brown

Cosy deli-style cafe serving vegan and lacto vegetarian meals and other options such as wheat free bread. Menu includes sandwiches, pasta bake, veggie wraps, curry, tofu stir fry, falafel, samosas, salads, cakes. English & German spoken. DECEMBER 2012 REPORTED BY HAPPYCOW MEMBER: This place is now a Congloese owned bar playing the Congolese equivalent of MTV constantly. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Western, International, Fast food
4a Buiten Street, Cape Town (Top of Long Street, just around the corner from Lola's)
Western Cape, South Africa

Open Mon-Sat 7am-7pm except 11.30-12.30 when closed while delivering.

First Review by Stevie
malini
malini

Fresh Food

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2011

Freshly made food. the Owner is geat at making the food.
You can just relax and enjoy the food.

enrico scotti
enrico scotti

best in capetown for vegan

4 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2010

Ciao all,
my wife and me were there in sept 2010 during our honeymoon; we're both vegan and Jo is great! A great Chef, nice person, nice people around... not too expansive, but please check before have lunch if he can accept credit cards. You have to be tast it! chocolate cake and veggy Jo burger are delicious

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: small
misssakura
misssakura

For the lonely tourist

3 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2010

There's nothing worse than being in a foreign city, feeling isolated from the locals. Enter Cafe Jo Brown. The owner of this place is what Enid Blyton may have described as 'a scream', 'a real hoot' or even 'a riot!'. We weren't sure what to expect but the owner of this place is hilarious. Instantly engaging, somewhat stoned and very, very entertaining. On top of that he isn't bad at cooking either. Our chocolate cake tasted very nice and although we didn't get to sample any of the other food before we left we will always remember our visit to Cafe Jo Brown!

Pros: friendly staff, good cake
Cons: closed on weekends

Guest
Guest

wacko

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2010

If you a vegan/vegetarian or simply desire excellent health conscious food then look no further. Centrally located just off long st - the bar/club strip of inner city Cape Town,Mr Joe Brown's is a low-key, unobtrusive, undemanding yet totally real cafe that serves up some of the best-tasting uncomplicated food fare one can find.
A stripped back, simple and limited menu, personally made and served by Mr Brown himself, always with a smile and a laugh and with utmost genuine respect, you will leave feeling more happier about yourself and the food you just devoured than when you first entered. Highly recommended.

Stevie
Stevie

Cafe Jo Brown, Cape Town

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2010

This place is very centrally located a few doors up the hill from Long St very near to the Dubliner Bar.

I had lunch in this place today and enjoyed it very much. I chose a couple of the different samosas available to start with and then went for falafel. Both were lovely and the sauce that came with the falafel was delicious. Throw in a cup of coffee and it came in at somewhere around 50 rand which I felt was good value.

There are plenty of vegan veggie options or indeed some lacto veggie items if that is your bag. There are other diets marked on the menu board such as egg free, wheat free.

The place is named Cafe Jo Brown after the guy who runs the place (he says he is nicknamed 'Brown' by his friends because of his colour) and the name of his wife (a Bavarian called Johanna). Hence as well as speaking English he also speaks German. When I was there he was chef and waitor but he says that his mum sometimes helps out. He was a pretty friendly guy and when I was there he drifted over to where I was to shoot the breeze. Going back to the apartheid days, Brown was an activist in the SRC.

The place is small & cosy with a few seats outside on the street and some tables inside at the counter, at the window and around a table.

I was tempted to give the place 5 out 5 but that is something I do on very exceptional circumstances. I'm still not decided but for now I'm marking the place as a 4.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasy food, Cosy & friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of REMOVED:Cafe Jo Brown: