Serves meat, veg options available. Offers vegetarian buffet for lunch and dinner. Buffet is mostly vegan and almost all menu options can be made vegan. Closed Mon. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by lithophor
lmzeigler
lmzeigler

YUM

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

I went here and had the dinner buffet. Excellent! Everything on the buffet was vegan except one or two items out of about a dozen. The price was very reasonable and the service was great. Next time I'm in town I will definitely be going back!

Pros: (Mostly) vegan buffet, Service, Reasonable price
Cons: Why not all vegan?!
Lucid
Lucid

Best Indian in San Diego!!!!

4 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2008

To put things into perspective I have lived up and down the west and eastern sea boards and overseas and every time I have Cafe' India it takes me back to my time when I was living in London where I had some of the best Indian food of my life! Although they no longer feature it on their menu ask if you can get the spinach soup (puree of spinach with mild spices). Vegetable soup, samosas, palak paneer, buffet, and their bread are all really, really good. A pretty good selection of hearty beers with their only domestic being Sammy Smith's (hence they take their beer seriously). Their wine list is OK, but then again its uncommon in the area to have great wine unless you are willing to throw down some serious $$.
I have not always been a vegetarian and I know that everyone who goes out to grab a bite with their vegi friends are not vegi's so I will say dont get the meat here, it comes on the bone (as good indian food should) and it really bugged my wife out (she is a vegi).
The atmosphere is a bit odd with a huge buffet table to the right as you walk in with with a waterfall and plants and a small boutique of yoga items in the room to the right. The ceiling is acoustical tile which sort of sucks, but the booths are oversized with very wide tables so you can order lots of food and even if it all comes out at the same time you have plenty of space.
Currently it looks as though they are getting slow (economy or otherwise) and they are shortening their hours but they are still open for an all you can eat lunch buffet so I suggest giving it a try.

Pros: food, food, food
Cons: nothing, here, sucks
MissBunny
MissBunny

Not very Friendly

1 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2007

I have had a few bad experiences here. We never get our food in a timely manner, its almost impossible to get more water,and there is always a problem with how the bill is added up. The waitress seems more interested in hanging out with her friends in the kitchen and we are a real bother to her. Once a beer was ordered and arrived at the tabe with the check! When we were opposed to paying for it and tried to explain that it was wanted during the meal (and yes, we had asked about it earlier)we got that "alien from outer space" look. The food is so so and the service sucks. I will never, ever, ever go back.

Cons: Poor Service, Poor Service, Poor Service

backpacker420
backpacker420
  • raw

Delicious Indian Food

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2007

Cafe India is a small restaurant with big flavor! (Don't worry--if you order off the menu, you can control the spiciness.) They have many vegetarian and vegan choices--and even know what those terms mean! The staff is friendly and helpful, and the food is delicious. Try the garbanzo bean appetizer!

Pros: Vegan, Delicious food, Incredible staff
Cons: Small portions
TJ4Life
TJ4Life

Wonderfull Vegeitarian Indian Food

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2007

I went in to Cafe India and was immediately in love with the atmosphere. We sat down and decided to try the buffet. The woman who helped us was very attentive. We got the naan with garlic which was fantastic. One of the things I liked about the buffet was that everything is kept fresh. Even the salad options. They don't give you iceberg lettuce it's quality baby romaine with cherry tomato's. You've got to try the samosas as well. Overall I would highly recommend it.

Pros: Fantastic Food, FESH, Great Service
Mixmaster456
Mixmaster456

Best Indian Food in SD.

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2007

I had to write this review after reading the ignorant and ridiculous review below. This is the best indian food I have ever had in San Diego, SF or anywhere else. The buffet is amazing and they even offer cooking classes. The food is always fresh and delicious the wait staff consist of an Indian family a mother, daughter, son and a father the father is in the kitchen. To say they were discriminating based on the way you dressed is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I ware band t-shirts and shorts when I roll in to this place and they have never been anything but great. Please try Cafe India if you have not, you will be glad you did. To the reviewer below me, shame on you for stealing food from this mom and pop restaurant, go back and pay for your food.

Pros: Excelent Service, Fresh, Delicious Food, Cooking Classes!
  • Stig Stig

"Judgement Day" - this is why I like HappyCow so much! - many of the Reviews certainly ain't bland! - remember to give helpful advice to the actual business owners also.

• 80s-punk-dinosaur 80s-punk-dinosaur

Based on MissBunny's review, above, it does seem ridiculous to think they discriminated on lithophor based on his looks ...but they still ignored TWO customers rather than enjoying their work & taking their job seriously!

(maybe 1 or 2 waitresses just ignored customers whenever they simply felt lazy, rather than it being based on looks. But these are 3-years-old reviews & maybe they fired this staff. Then again maybe this was the owners' daughter and thus...not fired. ;-P )

I went once, and all 3 in our party thought this was mediocre compared to most Indian food...not horrible but not above-average either (even my East Indian friend said so...youch. As for me, I'm a big fan of Indian food, and move a lot; I've eaten Indian in all the states & nations where I've resided until I found a favorite "local" one, and at age 38, I'll say: this was 3-star food, i.e. completely average, on the night we went (summer 2010). 1-star if I had received bad service as these two described). We didn't personally experience what MissBunny or lithophor did, but we decided we wouldn't go back after one time, so maybe we got lucky. I do know from other restaurants, how frustrating it is to have a drink or a plate served at an irrational/senseless time (who serves a beer AFTER the meal, and despite being asked repeatedly for the beer to be served NOW?), or to NEVER be offered a refill on your water...which is especially bad if it's spicy food; what kind of server doesn't say to themselves, "This is spicy food, so I'd better keep up on water refills?" (That's just basic human competency...) If something doesn't come when it should, I'll wave for the server, but I've never had a server fail to come over or fail to deliver a drink, even when called, like these 2 reported.

lithophor
lithophor

My first indian food experience

1 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2007

I was really excited to got here with my friend- the place smells great, has a good atmosphere...and the food was good too. Our waitress seated us in a corner and we ordered a sampler, and told the waitress we would order more food after that. Our sampler arrived after a while, and it was yummy, but when we were ready to order the main course we were completely ignored, to spite eye contact being made with our waitress, and others. My friend had to grab us a menu to see if that would get their attention, but to no avail. If called, they would walk away pretending they didn't hear us. We had a feeling they were discriminating agaisnt us, because they had no problems waiting on the families next to us, but they just walked away when we called them. We couldn't even summon a bill, so after and hour or so we left without paying because they simply ignored us. And no, they still didn't notice us leaving.
Great food, but horrendous service unless you're with your family. People of alternative dress, beware.

• Stig Stig

Such variety makes life spicy!

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe India: