Unassuming shop in downtown serving noodles, tofu, and soy dishes, soups, steamed buns, stir-frys, some sandwiches, plus tapioca pearl tea and ice cream. Many dishes contain Chinese meat-substitutes. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Taiwanese, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by RJane
Sparkledustpajamas
Sparkledustpajamas

LOVE this place!

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2012

Cafe Happy is a fifteen minute walk from my home which is awesome because parking in that part of Kirkland is tough! It's a tiny little restaurant ran by an older Asian couple who speak limited English. The first entree I ordered was Mo Pah, an Asian version of Hamburger Helper with tofu and fake ground meat. I know this does not sound appetizing, but for us Asian kids who grew up with this meal as a staple, it's the bomb! I liked the meal so much, it's the only thing I eat when I visit Cafe Happy, and I've been there so many times, I've lost count. They also make bubble tea with soy milk (or dairy milk if you want that), but I didn't care much for it. The soy milk curdles quickly. I switched to the many fresh made juice combinations they offer. One is with spinach, carrots, and oranges. It's my favorite drink. Each juice is made to order, squeezed on the spot, so be patient because it takes them several minutes to make each one. The space is very small. There are six bar style stools, three along the window, and three along one wall. There is also one large round table that can hold five or six people. A few two person outdoor seats are available on nice days. This is a no frills place to dine. If you're looking for fancy silverware, linens, or waiters with tailcoats, you're not going to find it here. What you will discover is really good food for a very affordable price. You can also take satisfaction in knowing you're helping a charming old Asian couple's small business continue to be successful.

Pros: great food, great price, fresh made juice combos
Cons: no parking, very tiny
vegboy2009
vegboy2009

Excellent family fare, good boba drinks

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

Great for take-out; tasty food and terrific selection. No real seating to speak of, and parking? What parking? I was thrilled to be able to get such good food while traveling in the Seattle area, but I wish the rent wasn't so high so they could get more space.

Pros: Fantastic food, Excellent service., Friendly service.
Cons: Almost no seating, No parking
kindlizard
kindlizard

quaint mom & pop

3 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2010

Cafe Happy is in the bustling chic downtown of Kirkland. It is very small. There is only one table, plus 2 counters. The kitchen is in view and they have very limited space. The food came out quickly however. They have pictures on the wall of the meals. Be sure to take a look at them, if the plate is without veggies and only a seitan, that's how it will be. You can add veggies for a few bucks.

The sweet and sour wasn't too sweet or sour. The Hot & Sour was just ok, nothing I would order again.

I would be inclined to try some of the sandwiches. The only dairy here is if you add cheese to something (& ice cream, which they are out of til spring or summer anyway).

It is very basic food. Good for if you are in the area and in need of hot food cooked by very nice people. It was ok, I would go again. Perhaps I need to find a more prolific option.

I will update after another visit, but I won't make it a must-go destination. I could do most things at home it seemed. They are super nice folks though, so if you are in the area stop by for something warm to eat.

Pros: mom & pop shop, mostly vegan
Cons: not super flavorful
  • kindlizard kindlizard

one idea for the nice folks here: maybe mix some veggies into the "meat" dishes, so it is a bit more balanced. The product is good, but the 2 dishes we got seemed like a lot of one thing. Next time I will order w the added veg, but something you may want to test out. Good luck and I DID enjoy it!

RJane
RJane

Tiny, tasty, and honest

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2008

I've been to Cafe Happy 3-4 times and I generally really enjoy the food. It's pretty cheap (around $7 for a meal), and there are a lot of vegan options.
The place is very, very small, and it's a little uncomfortable, but the owners are nice and helpful. Language barriers are difficult, but communication gets done, eventually.
I usually order noodles with veggies, because I'm not a huge faux meat fan. The one time I ordered tofu, it was not very fresh, and hadn't been seasoned really, at all.
People seem to come in mainly for bubble tea.

Pros: Inexpensive, Many vegan choices, Yummy
Cons: Tiny space, parking is difficult, bad tofu

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Happy: