Cafe Gratitude - Venice

All food is vegan, but some of the desserts contain honey. Part of the the Cafe Gratitude brand originating from San Francisco, 2nd LA location. Menu features both raw food as well cooked meals, vegan desserts and raw pies. Trendy, beach vibe and noisy at mealtime. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

Troktagon
Troktagon

Great, fresh plant-based food

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

We stopped for lunch at this place. The food was delicious. We had a quesadilla, a crepe and a mexican bowl. All were fresh and tasty. The only thing we didn't really like was the over the top LA-vibe. When you order, they respond with an affirmation using the name of the dish. For example, "I'd like the quesadilla" was followed by "You are Generous," which was also repeated when they served the food. Still, it's delicious and worth going if you don't mind feeling like you're visiting a shrink or attending an AA meeting while you eat.

Pros: Delicious, Fresh
Cons: Gimmicky
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Honey I ruined the restaurant.

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2014

A great place with a vibrant atmosphere, smart decor, broad range of menu selections and very yummy food. Suitable for both a quick stop or an evening out.

Everything we ordered presented well and tasted fantastic. I generally dislike raw desserts but the raw lime pie I tried here was great too.

This is a place I'd be happy to take anyone to showcase good vegan fare.

The honey is a downer - WTF? Fix that and it'd be pretty much perfect. I so wanna give you 5 stars but can't.

Pros: Great range, Great taste, Smart setting
Cons: Not vegan

aragoneldragon
aragoneldragon

Amazing, delicious and healthy

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

This place is for everyone, Vegans and Non-Vegans. The food here is absolutely amazing, I highly recommend this place to anyone.

They don't use microwaves or canned food in their dishes, everything is fresh and support local farming. It gets quite busy at lunch and dinner, make sure to call in ahead if it's a party of two or more.

Make sure to leave room for dessert!

Pros: Healthy, Organic
Cons: Service sometimes fails
m.rose
m.rose

Love It

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

the salads are great, i especially like PURE. but, my favorite dish is WHOLE (depending on the type of squash or yam i liked it better w/o). the garlic-tahini sauce is so yummy and i love their kim chi. my daughter loves the smoothies and simple snacks, she gets either the apple slices w/almond butter or tortillas w/guacamole. fun atmosphere and i've never had to wait for a table. my favorite place to eat these days!!!
Updated from previous review on Friday August 23, 2013

Pros: food, fun atmosphere
Chia
Chia

Vegan food in Venice

3 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

Heard first about this restaurant opening on HappyCow in 2012, and have eaten here a few times so far. Was just here again, April 2013. Here's my Cafe Gratitude review update. I've eaten at their other location in Larchmont Village L.A. a few times, and the menu is very similar if not the same. There, it's always a scene, totally busy with a lot of trendy LA folk.

This Venice location is always bustling with lots of hipsters, yoga bods, and locals who like this kind of California cuisine plant-based version, of course.

The restaurant occupies the ground floor of a new eco-apartment development on Rose Avenue, just off the Beach several blocks inland. It's painted white everywhere with white furniture. Inside is very spacious and terribly noisy (poor acoustics) with a combination of individual table seating, a communal table, and bar seating. Out front is a covered patio area with additional seating.

The menu is the same here as is at their other locations, San Francisco and LA. It's varied, and you have to take time to read all the ingredient details because the name of each dish does NOT tell you what's in the food. Rather the names are each an affirmations like, "I am grateful," or, "I am beautiful," and the like.

I've tried the simple Mexican style bowl with brown rice & quinoa based topped with black beans, salsa, guacamole, and a house-made nut vegan cheese. It was filling but somehow it gave me indigestion.

The raw enchilada plate is okay though more spicy than I had anticipated. I recall from past meals at the L.A. location that the raw food dishes tend to have extra cayenne and chili.

The gratitude bowl is a pay-what-you-can bowl and comes with brown rice or quinoa, beans, a bit of kale, and topped with choice of dressing. Tastes okay and is filling enough but also gave me indigestion. I think it might be the way the beans are cooked.

The tacos are good, and we got get it at a reduced price during happy hour (3-6pm) - check to see if that's still going on.

I disliked the chocolate pie. The agave nectar overpowered the taste of the pie. I'm not a fan of agave nectar in vegan desserts. And it's pricey around $9 a slice.

If you come during meal time, expect a wait. And once you get seated, expect to wait.

Pros: good location, plant food
Cons: loud, slow service, salty
cat1
cat1

Awesome

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

I love this place, friendly staff, great tasting food and a good vibe, can't fault it.

Pros: good food , friendly staff , good vibe
JackieP
JackieP

Don't be fooled--it's not health food

3 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

Food is super good, but when you take the highest calorie vegan ingredients and combine them, of course the food is going to be good. It had a bit of a haughty atmosphere, which didn't impress me. Considerably pricey. Parking is difficult.

Pros: good food, friendly staff
Cons: Difficult parking, Expensive, Snobbish atmosphere
sglcklch
sglcklch

Loved this place

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2013

I had heard so many things about Café Gratitude that I made it a must-eat during our trip, and it didn't disappoint. We arrived at 6 o'clock for dinner and the place was already starting to fill up. By the time we were finished, there were crowds waiting. So I'd suggest making a reservation to secure a table. The atmosphere was quite lively, but as we were seated outside, the noise level wasn't a problem for us.

Everything we ordered was good and tasted very fresh. I really liked that every item on the menu was made from scratch-just wholesome plant-based ingredients without all that fake meat/dairy stuff. The eggplant parmesan panini (I AM AWESOME) was outstanding. Even the side salad was great, not just some sloppy greens as it is sadly quite often the case. The Indian lentil rice bowl (I AM HUMBLE) was decent, but I would've preferred it to be much spicier. The cheesecake and the dark chocolate nugget were perfect to round off our meal. That nugget was the real deal for any self-proclaimed dark chocolate fiend; it was intense but at the same time so satisfying and delightful.

Service was friendly, although slow at times as the place got busy. Out of all the restaurants we went to during our week-long trip, this was probably my favorite and I'm definitely looking forward to coming back when I visit the area again.

Pros: delicious & wholesome food, good vibe
Ribaldry
Ribaldry

Eating in Venice

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

I haven't been to the Larchmont location or any of the other Cafe Gratitude locations, but I have been to the one in Venice twice and loved it both times. I have enjoyed, and would recommend: the raw zucchini lasagna with cashew ricotta, hempseed and basil pesto, and olive tapenade (I Am Fabulous); the cooked tacos with veggies, guac, cashew nacho cheese, salsa fresca, and black beans -- I added the avocado, yum! (I Am Transformed); the heirloom tomato bruschetta with cashew mozzarella and fig-balsamic drizzle (I Am Present); the fresh ginger ale (I Am Effervescent); and the I Am Cherished cashew cheesecake with an almond-date crust. All of these were exemplary and the cashew cheeses are so creamy and unctuous that you will probably dream about them later. 3 of my friends, who are not even veg, enjoyed the I Am Guapo/a sandwich ("Our Mexican torta sandwich on grilled Panini bread with pureed black beans, cashew nacho cheese, spicy red pepper sauce, crispy chipotle-maple coconut, romaine lettuce, tomato and avocado") -- on of them got it on the live gluten-free wrap. Another friend enjoyed I Am Happy ("Mediterranean wrap with live falafels, zucchini cilantro hummus, spinach, red onion, tomato, cucumber, red chili pepper sauce and garlic tahini dressing on live sun-dried tomato bread"). I have come here twice, once with my fiance and 2 other friends, another time with just one friend, and despite all of my dining companions being omni, they all loved the food here, too. And, of course, for vegan and vegetarian diners, it's even more fantastic to know that all of the food, except for a few desserts with honey, is 100% vegan. There are a number of gluten-free choices, and plenty of good raw options, but I would not come here if you have a nut allergy, given the vast amounts of coconut and cashew employed in the food prep. Some people have complained about the prices, but I find them pretty standard for good dining in LA. I would recommend coming here after a day at the beach, to enjoy the open spaces of the restaurant -- sit on the porch and watch the other beachcombers go by outside! -- and a tasty, fresh, healthy meal.

Pros: Delicious, Fresh & healthy, Good vibe
Cons: Off-limits for people with nut allergies
vegandeb
vegandeb

A Must Do

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2012

This place is fantastic. You must try at least one of the locations. My fav restaurant in LA.

About average price for area. There are more affordable dishes if you search the menu. It's worth the price.

Pros: great food, huge dessert case, donation dish
eric
eric

Veg addition to Santa Monica

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2012

I had been eagerly waiting for this place to open since I live nearby and finally got to try it last night. It was only the 3rd day open and already packed for dinner on a Thursday. I sat at the communal table and got to meet some friendly folks, all women at the table. The inside of the place gets loud which made it difficult to chat with the woman across from me.
For my entree I had the raw enchiladas (I AM ELATED). The dish was presented nicely, however for $13.75 I felt the portion was pretty small (see photo). The enchiladas were spicy, and tasted great- finished every drop.
For dessert I got a slice of the chocolate coconut cream pie (I AM IRRESISTIBLE). Loved it, although slightly steep price of $8.50. considering the location, I can understand their prices, just a little over what I feft reasonable. Also, if you're vegan, be sure to confirm that your dessert choice does not contain honey as some do.
Overall, this is a great addition to Santa Monica and I'll definitely be back.

Pros: menu, raw desserts
Cons: noisy inside, pricey
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Its here, its really here!

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

Cafe Gratitude Venice is my savior! I can't tell you how excited I've been for it to open, I've been driving, peddling, walking by now for months! As chance would have it I was out of town for day1, but made it to day2 of the grand opening. Everything is sparkling new and the entire staff is so excited too, you can really feel the vibe in the air! The menu isn't as extensive as the Larchmont, but I'm sure they are just warming up! I especially appreciate the beer/wine on the menu! I had the blonde ale and it was fantastic. Sitting outside in Venice enjoying a beer and a I am grateful bowl is heaven for this healthy vegan! I top my bowl of brown rice, quinoa, kale and beans with a side of Kim Chi and always pay the $7 suggested price for this donation bowl (which is the best item on the menu IMHO). You won't find a kinder staff with so much excitement and enthusiasm and as you look around you can see all the other patrons are on the same wave length, birds of a feather flock together! I'm home!
Thank you Cafe Gratitude!

Pros: I am Grateful, kim chi, beer & wine!

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Gratitude - Venice: