Part of a collection of organic vegan restaurants specializing in vegan and raw and cooked cuisines. Uses produce from the owners' farm. Confirmed open Sept 13, 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Raw, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by KamrynWilliams
TKoch
TKoch

Delicious vegan food, nice staff

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

We ate here as a family last summer before our move out of state. The food was incredible. My husband had the BLT sandwich,I had the taco plate, which they very nicely changed to accommodate my inability for spicy foods, and my son had the pad thai.Everyone raved about what they had ordered.My tacos were incredible,fresh, zesty and really delicious.We tried the ginger lemonade which was terrific and very surprising. The desserts were heavenly. Husband got the strawberry cake, son got the key lime pie and I got the apricot torte. They were all outstanding. Prices are a bit stiff, but I have yet to meet good vegan food that wasn't expensive. Don't mind spending the money as cooking vegan has given me a new appreciation for the incredible amount of time spent producing this labor intensive food.Highly recommend this restaurant and the sister one in San Francisco, Gracias Madre.

Pros: Food was delicious, Staff was friendly and helpful, Atmosphere was calming
Cons: Portions could have been larger
JYoshitomi
JYoshitomi

Fabulous Restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2014

Friendly staff, remarkable food, great prices and incredible desserts. Will be searching out their other locations in Berkeley and Los Angeles.

cat1
cat1

good

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

I stopped here for a few mins to pick up a smoothie and desert, Its not quite up to the standards of the LA locations and I have to say I had had pieces of something hard in my smoothie, I think they must have put a dates pip in by mistake.. But the smoothie was actually really good other than that..

Pros: tasty, great staff , good location
Cons: not the best vibe

johnevoice
johnevoice

Great Food AND Service

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2014

This has to be one of the best dining experience I've ever had. 1st of all - we were greeted by someone at the counter was more than multitasking but yet still had a very friendly disposition and was able to give us menus and told us to choose our table. Our waiter Mark was as perfect as a waiter can be..

The food (cleverly titled with positive affirmations) was sublime, clever, tasty and ohhhhhh so fresh. If anyone had an experience less than five stars I would pay for them to go back myself - that's how much I believe in this place. I wish them many years of great and healthy success.

Pros: healthy, fresh organic vegan food, clean restaurant and bathroom, friendly happy environment
Cons: none
amped
amped

yum!!

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

Just enjoying my breakfast take out. As always the order was ready when promised and everything tastes wonderful! I am Peace, I am Home!

Pros: amazing value, outstanding quality, informed staff
robivore
robivore
  • herbivore

Great food; Great People

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2013

Try the home style potatoes with the spicy cashew "cheese" sauce, oh, and the BLT - amazing. If you're looking for something a bit more healthy, try the beans, rice and kale. I love this place.

Pros: Great food, Healthy food
Cons: Slightly pricy, Somewhat difficult to get to (if not downtown)
mslacey
mslacey

Well Worth The Drive

5 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2013

I have always heard wonderful things about this location but never made the time to drive over the Santa Cruz mountain until now... wish I had no waited! The food was delicious, atmosphere very welcoming, and the staff very happy. Will be making this trip again soon. And just. So happens to be a farmer's market next door.

Pros: Very Reasonably Priced, Options, Large Portions
Cons: Limited Street Parking
TataVislevskaya
TataVislevskaya

Rude service

2 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2013

This place has really rude staff with high ambitions. We ordered two tacos and the waitress heard me very well, but she bring just 1 dish without apologies. Even more she said to my husband: "She can shares her food with you". Black bean tacos were truly heavy and greasy. I can't recommend this place and will be avoid it next time in Santa Cruz.

Cons: Rude staff, Heavy and greasy dishes
harry the taoist
harry the taoist

Best vegan in town

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2013

It's been described as "pricey", but it has high quality organic food and an interesting selection of raw dishes. It's menu is creative and portions are large, so given the prices of other good restaurants in the area I would say the cost of eating here is fair. Also it has a dish that is "FREE" for anyone who can't afford it. This may seem like a cultural gimmick for proudly progressive Santa Cruz but i saw a man come in and say he couldnt afford the menu and asked for the free meal. He was treated with dignity and just like any customer. I've eaten here 10 - 12 times and have always been pleased.

Pros: Creative, All vegan, Local produce
KathyVegan2
KathyVegan2

My favorite place to eat...

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

I absolutely love the food here. Everything I have had has been excellent. I usually go at lunch time and like to go with someone who will split a meal with me. The portion sizes are on the large size. My favorite are the tacos, they are off the menu now but done as a special from time to time. All the desserts are fantastic so save room or get one to go. I have had a lemon honey drink there that was excellent but I ususally just drink water with my meals. Everything is vagan so I don't have to inquire about anything on the menu and it is all fresh, organic food! The staff is friendly and the place is very welcoming. Might seem expensive but price for quality works out pretty well.

Pros: fresh, organic, delicious, friendly staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: ? large servings, parking
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Too expensive, food not worth it

3 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2012

My husband and I have been to the Cafe Gratitude in Berkley a few years ago and recently went back while were in Santa Cruz.

I had remembered liking the food from our first time there, but all my husband could remember was it being expensive. After visiting again I tend to be more on my husband's side. The food was decent and I liked everything we got, but for the prices I would have liked to get a LOT more food and top notch quality. I understand high prices with raw items because of the time they take to prepare, but my husband's sandwich (he got the BLT with coconut 'bacon') served with a small salad was $12! I think that's a ripoff.

I got the raw enchilada with sprouted seed filling, spicy mole, cashew sour cream and scallions served with a spicy Mexican coleslaw and salad. It was pretty dang good but, again, for $14 I don't think it was worth it at all. ONE enchilada, a cheap coleslaw and then mixed greens with a dressing filling up almost half my plate? I don't think so.

ALSO the service was horrible and they were out of half of the things on their menu. So, even though their food is good and they are 100% vegan I can really only give them a 3/5. I honestly wouldn't go there again if I had another option, and there are so many better options in Santa Cruz and Berkley!

Pros: All vegan, Raw
Cons: Expensive, Food isn't good, Terrible service
vibrant
vibrant

Only 100% Vegan Choice in the area

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2012

not sure why this is listed at Vegetarian because it a mecca for Vegans who just want to eat in a restaurant without having to navigate and tear apart a menu. This place has a reputation for being cultish but I have never experienced any weird vibe. The food and drinks are delicious, a bit pricey but such a treat. Staff is friendly, bring our kids here, drive from san jose a few times a month to eat here. Its a blessing to have in the community.

Pros: 100% Vegan, friendly staff, delicious food
Cons: pricey
KamrynWilliams
KamrynWilliams

Don't waste your time!!!!

2 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2011

I was so excited to find out that we had a new vegan restaurant in SC. I came in about a week or two ago, and it was a terrible experience. The food is overpriced for what they give you. I ordered a raw "pizza"- it was a very small piece of "dough" with a white creamy blob on one side and a red blob on the other. It tasted exactly like cheap bruschetta in a very sickingly way. The "pizza" was very small, smaller than a CD, and it cost ~10. They put a "salad" on the side (spinach with almost no dressing). They never got us our water even though we asked three times. The waiters did not pay us any attention which was odd since there were a few of them and its a very small place. The cooks forgot to make my "pizza" so we waited about 45 minutes for our food!! My friend said her food was "ok", nothing to come back for.
Terrible service and terrible food. I'll stick with Saturn Cafe and Dharmas!

Pros: All vegan
Cons: Small portion, Bad service, Not delicious

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Gratitude: