CLOSED: Cafe Gratitude

Organic vegan restaurant in San Rafael with a menu that is mostly all raw and vegan, and item names are based on abundance affirmation, such as "I am accepting" stir unfry. Dine inside or on the patio. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Raw, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out
2200 4th St (Miracle Mile)
San Rafael, California 94901
415-824-4652

Open 10am-9pm.

First Review by Tatiana
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

tasty and filling

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2011

We were visiting in Marin and decided to check out Cafe Gratitude since we like the new one in LA so much. This location has a more hippie feel than the more modern LA one, but it was a very nice open space with different colored tables and signs/banners with a bar counter at the end. Our waitress was very friendly and called us the names of the dishes we ordered. I got the "I am Warm Hearted" which is polenta with a puttanesca sauce and cashew ricotta. It was a rainy day, so it really hit the spot. Dirk got the "I am Extraordinary" which is a BLT sandwich with coconut bacon. Very unique and tasty. We shared a "I am Cool" which is mint chocolate chip shake. Excellent! We finished off with a raw "I am Bliss" chocolate hazelnut mousse cake which was delicious! Overall, we had a good meal and good service, but they also had an open refrigerator in the dining room which was a bit noisy and distracting.

Pros: tasty filling food, friendly service
Cons: refridgerator in dining room
prafulla
prafulla

Fun Experience

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2008

Very good raw food with a few cooked options. I like raw food in general, but some of the spicing is too heavy for me at Cafe Gratitude. The desserts are to die for. All of them are wonderful without exception. The service can be a bit too cheery, but fun.

Pros: heavy spicing, expensive
Cons: tasty, good friendly service, very clean
TheDude
TheDude

I'm Grateful!

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2008

Cafe Gratitude is a fantastic restaurant! It's staff are very friendly, and the food is positively mouthwatering. There is a wide variety of all kinds of dishes, which are mostly raw, but there are a few warm grain bowls and a warm soup of the day for non-raw foodists not feeling very adventurous. Despite the specialization in raw food, the non-raw dishes are just as delish as the raw ones. I'm hard pressed to recommend one specific dish, as they are all so scrumptious! The pesto is delightful, and I like the warm grain dish I am Whole, or the raw burger I am Cheerful.

The place has a mood and a feeling it is trying to set, and some people find that uncomfortable or hokey, personally, I find it fun! The servers will as you the question of the day. Examples of pervious questions I've heard have been: "What do you like about the rain (this one was asked on a (surprise) rainy day)?" "What do you want to be acknowledged for?" and, of course, "What are you grateful for?" The dishes have names like: I am Inspired, and I am Festive, and that is how one is supposed to order them. When they are brought to your table, the waiter/ess will say "You are Inspired," or "You are Festive."

All in all, Cafe Gratitude is a great restaurant, with a bright and clean atmosphere, a casual and friendly staff, and delightful food for all (raw or not, vegan or not). My father brings his business partners here, even! The service speed is variable, sometimes quite slow, others very fast. If you are in a hurry, just say so and the staff are happy to oblige. I'd recommend this restaurant to just about anyone. It's the best place in Marin for vegetarians and vegans!

Cafe Gratitude also offers take-out, as well as a small grocery section which showcases some of the products they use or make (raw milks, raw cacao powder, supplements, sauces, etc.).

Note: This review is set at four cows because there was a bug in the review system, labeling Cafe Gratitude as a non-vegetarian restaurant, and thus limiting any reviewer to four stars. I assure you: Cafe Gratitude is a five-star vegetarian dining experience and is 100% vegetarian, and mostly raw and vegan (I believe maybe one or two dishes have honey, and, as mentioned, there is a set of warm grain bowls and a warm soup of the day).

Pros: fantastic and delicious food, bright and friendly staff and atmosphere, wide variety of food

Tatiana
Tatiana
  • herbivore

Worth the drive

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2007

A friend of mine frequents Cafe Gratitude, so when I found out there was a newer location in San Rafael, we decided to try it together. The restaurant is beautiful and clean with, of course, the confidence boosting menu names the chain is known for. I loved my smoothie and the appetizer was great. Prices are fair, as long as you don't order an appetizer, drink, entree, AND dessert (we just couldn't resist!). Many items are priced under $10 and service was very friendly.

Pros: fair pricing, excellent food, fast and friendly
Cons: slick flooring, prices can add up

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Cafe Gratitude: