Offers many vegetarian and vegan dishes. Russian vegetable soup, fresh juices, elderflower spritzer, and more. Table service, evening menu, has non-smoking. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by tinkerbell
veggiesteve
veggiesteve

The seemingly usual complaint

2 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2012

No! [edit by staff] The food is good for sure, really good, but the service! I know you can get lucky, and everything might go quite well, but it's not worth the risk. Forget it!

Pros: Food
Cons: No manners, Hostile, Very rude
trinitybourne
trinitybourne

I quite like this place

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2011

My husband and I have had really good experiences here over the last few years during our visits. The staff we have always been served by have been friendly. Service does take a while, although this doesn't tend to be an issue if you've come out for a nice relaxing evening and are happy to enjoy the ambience. If you are in a hurry then it probably isn't the place for you.

My favourite dish is the enchiladas. My friends have reported good feedback on the sunday 'nut'roast dinner too.

There are a few good vegan options available and usually dessert. The sugar free apricot slice is amazing, expecially warmed and served with vegan icecream. The crumble is vegan and very delicious too.

Pros: Tasty food, vegan options
Cons: A little slow if you are in a hurry
lovintheveg
lovintheveg

Good hummus

3 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2010

My aunt and I stopped here for a quick snack once we arrived in Glastonbury. We only had hummus, which was quite good. And we had a cup of coffee (odd combination, I know). We didn't care much for the staff. Not sure what it was about them, they just didn't seem too friendly.

Pros: hummus
Cons: staff
  • veggiesteve veggiesteve

You're right, the staff, mainly the owner is absolutely awful. Also she is not a vegetarian.

Deli Katesen
Deli Katesen

Appalling service

2 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2010

I've been eating here on and off for the last 18 years. The menu has barely changed during that time. The food currently ranges from mediocre to excellent.

Unfortunately, the service is considerably worse than the food. The staff are disinterested and inattentive. Expect to wait a long time for service and for your food. Don't expect anyone to enquire as to your needs during the meal. The last time we ate here, they forgot the drinks menu, and despite wandering past the table many times, failed to notice that none of our party had drinks. The food was undercooked, and when the owner came to clear the table, she said absolutely nothing when this fact was drawn politely to her attention.

The Galatea's reputation amongst locals is very poor, and its easy to see why. It's a shame, because when they get it right, the food is absolutely excellent. Sunday roasts, for example, are usually superb.

Overall, this establishment suffers from an air of neglect, and its hard to feel that the owners actually have any enthusiasm for it any more. Great though the Sunday roasts may be, the selection of veg never varies, and so even when getting it right, the Galatea manages to create an impression of general apathy.

Pros: Generally good food, Reasonably priced
Cons: Appalling service, Moribund menu, Air of neglect
tinkerbell
tinkerbell

gone downhill

2 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2007

We have been visitng here for over 9 years and used to travel to Glastonbury just to eat here,not any more. We have been really disappointed the last few times we visited;and have gone across to the blue note cafe instead.We have waited excessive times to be served; even over an hour just to oreder our food; last time we just left. I too have seen rich middle aged Americans served before us! We now avoid the place, as do many of our friends. It now seems more full of tourists (around Europe in 14 days!) rather than veggies wanting good food and service.

Pros: nice cakes(not homemade!), nice soups
Cons: really slow service, unhelpful staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Cafe Galatea: